Kobe's game 7

xsalvioutlawx:

Doesn't speak for all of us......

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm sorry but I just don't understand it anymore with Kobe Bryant.

If you are suppose to be "the Closer of the NBA" then your suppose to hit big shots when it counts right? So how could Kobe Bryant be the best closer in the game? he didn't even have a game winning shot in any of the playoff games. In fact, in that game 6 against OKC He missed the potential game winner, and Pau Gasol closed the game with a tip in, and in game 5 against PHX, he missed another potential game winner, and Ron Artest closed the game with a tip in.

The dispute is not about Kobe Bryant's shooting performance in game 7 against Boston, but the fixations people make of him. Sure it's wonderful that he hit game winners against the Bucks/Heat/Kings/Grizzlies/Raptors (Keep in mind 3 of those teams didn't even make the playoffs) but you also have to keep account of what he failed to do.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand it anymore with Kobe Bryant.

If you are suppose to be "the Closer of the NBA" then your suppose to hit big shots when it counts right? So how could Kobe Bryant be the best closer in the game? he didn't even have a game winning shot in any of the playoff games. In fact, in that game 6 against OKC He missed the potential game winner, and Pau Gasol closed the game with a tip in, and in game 5 against PHX, he missed another potential game winner, and Ron Artest closed the game with a tip in.

The dispute is not about Kobe Bryant's shooting performance in game 7 against Boston, but the fixations people make of him. Sure it's wonderful that he hit game winners against the Bucks/Heat/Kings/Grizzlies/Raptors (Keep in mind 3 of those teams didn't even make the playoffs) but you also have to keep account of what he failed to do.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

Again, I remember both these things. I also remember that Duncan's bad shooting didn't go unnoticed and a player more deserving (Tony Parker) won the MVP. But of course, this wasn't the case for Gasol in 2010 because they "tend to play by different rules with Kobe".

Game 4 2000 Finals: 4-20, 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists 
Game 1 2001 Finals: 7-22, 15 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 turnovers
Game 1 2004 Finals: 10-27, 25 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists
Game 3 2004 Finals: 4-13, 11 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 turnovers
Game 4 2004 Finals: 8-25, 22 points, 0 rebounds, 2 assists
Game 5 2004 Finals: 7-21, 24 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists
Game 1 2008 Finals: 9-26, 24 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 turnovers
Game 4 2008 Finals: 6-19, 17 points, 4 rebounds, 10 assists 
Game 5 2008 Finals: 8-21, 25 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 turnovers 
Game 6 2008 Finals: 7-22, 22 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 turnovers
Game 4 2009 Finals: 11-31, 32 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists 
Game 3 2010 Finals: 10-29, 29 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists  
Game 7 2010 Finals: 6-24, 23 points, 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers  
That game 4 in 2000 is wrong dude.  Game 4 is the game that Kobe went off in OT after Shaq fouled out, and won the game, ON THE ROAD, at the age of 21, to put the Lakers up 3-1, after missing game 3, due to a severly sprained ankle, suffered in game 2.  But I'm sure you remember that. 
wink.gif

And as for your "Gasol should be MVP"  I posted every MVP from 1980 til today in the 2-3 zone thread, your Gasol argument died in that post.  From here on out, you can no longer claim that stuff without looking ridiculous.  I'll re-post it in here if you would like. 
happy.gif

Yeah, okay, I should've posted game 5, but it was Kobe's 4th game of the series. Doesn't make any difference though..

And your argument that a top scorer = finals MVP is ridiculous. Just because most Finals MVPs of the past happen to be top scorers as well. You managed to find out that all but 3 Finals MVPs were top scorers (pretty sure that Kareem had a higher scoring average in 1980 than Magic, but Magic won Finals MVP because of his clutch performance). But tell me then, how many of those Finals MVPs shot .405 or under?
It does not matter.  That's the point.  The historical precedence is set in stone now.  30 years (and it could go even further back, but checking that would be exhausting) 30 years AT LEAST, and the leading scorer is there each and every year save a couple.  And those couple were a difference of 2 total points one year, and a guy that was half a board and half an assist away from a triple double for the series.  Period, point blank, end of story.  The leading scorer, no matter how he got there, was MVP basically every year. 

Look at what Reign just put up about 07 and 2010.  That also shows you what you were asking for. 

And further, 28 out of 30 scored more then 20PPG.  The two that didn't, did not have a 20 ppg guy on the winning team, so they had to win. 

I don't know about 1980, I looked at that last night, and I saw Magic as the leading scorer, but I suppose you could be right.  Maybe I didn't pay enough attention on that one.  But still, Magic went 42 15 and 7 as a rook at a different position, on the road, without another superstar, I'ma go out on a limb and say this one was ok even if Kareem was the leading scorer. 
laugh.gif

You still didn't show me the "historical precedence" of Finals MVPs shooting .405 or less.

And I didn't respond to that ridiculous Parker/Duncan/Kobe/Gasol post for extremely obvious FG% related reasons.

I'm not sure you understand the ridiculousness of your claim.

Luc Longley averaged 11.7 ppg in the 1996 finals. Dennis Rodman averaged 7.5. None of these two players won Finals MVP, but do you or do you not believe that Luc Longley was closer to being the MVP of that series than Dennis Rodman?

I don't know if Magic led the Lakers in total points that 1980 series, but I am almost positive that he was well under Kareem in scoring average. Kareem had multiple 35+ games that series if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

Again, I remember both these things. I also remember that Duncan's bad shooting didn't go unnoticed and a player more deserving (Tony Parker) won the MVP. But of course, this wasn't the case for Gasol in 2010 because they "tend to play by different rules with Kobe".

Game 4 2000 Finals: 4-20, 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists 
Game 1 2001 Finals: 7-22, 15 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 turnovers
Game 1 2004 Finals: 10-27, 25 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists
Game 3 2004 Finals: 4-13, 11 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 turnovers
Game 4 2004 Finals: 8-25, 22 points, 0 rebounds, 2 assists
Game 5 2004 Finals: 7-21, 24 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists
Game 1 2008 Finals: 9-26, 24 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 turnovers
Game 4 2008 Finals: 6-19, 17 points, 4 rebounds, 10 assists 
Game 5 2008 Finals: 8-21, 25 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 turnovers 
Game 6 2008 Finals: 7-22, 22 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 turnovers
Game 4 2009 Finals: 11-31, 32 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists 
Game 3 2010 Finals: 10-29, 29 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists  
Game 7 2010 Finals: 6-24, 23 points, 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers  
That game 4 in 2000 is wrong dude.  Game 4 is the game that Kobe went off in OT after Shaq fouled out, and won the game, ON THE ROAD, at the age of 21, to put the Lakers up 3-1, after missing game 3, due to a severly sprained ankle, suffered in game 2.  But I'm sure you remember that. 
wink.gif

And as for your "Gasol should be MVP"  I posted every MVP from 1980 til today in the 2-3 zone thread, your Gasol argument died in that post.  From here on out, you can no longer claim that stuff without looking ridiculous.  I'll re-post it in here if you would like. 
happy.gif

Yeah, okay, I should've posted game 5, but it was Kobe's 4th game of the series. Doesn't make any difference though..

And your argument that a top scorer = finals MVP is ridiculous. Just because most Finals MVPs of the past happen to be top scorers as well. You managed to find out that all but 3 Finals MVPs were top scorers (pretty sure that Kareem had a higher scoring average in 1980 than Magic, but Magic won Finals MVP because of his clutch performance). But tell me then, how many of those Finals MVPs shot .405 or under?
It does not matter.  That's the point.  The historical precedence is set in stone now.  30 years (and it could go even further back, but checking that would be exhausting) 30 years AT LEAST, and the leading scorer is there each and every year save a couple.  And those couple were a difference of 2 total points one year, and a guy that was half a board and half an assist away from a triple double for the series.  Period, point blank, end of story.  The leading scorer, no matter how he got there, was MVP basically every year. 

Look at what Reign just put up about 07 and 2010.  That also shows you what you were asking for. 

And further, 28 out of 30 scored more then 20PPG.  The two that didn't, did not have a 20 ppg guy on the winning team, so they had to win. 

I don't know about 1980, I looked at that last night, and I saw Magic as the leading scorer, but I suppose you could be right.  Maybe I didn't pay enough attention on that one.  But still, Magic went 42 15 and 7 as a rook at a different position, on the road, without another superstar, I'ma go out on a limb and say this one was ok even if Kareem was the leading scorer. 
laugh.gif

You still didn't show me the "historical precedence" of Finals MVPs shooting .405 or less.

And I didn't respond to that ridiculous Parker/Duncan/Kobe/Gasol post for extremely obvious FG% related reasons.

I'm not sure you understand the ridiculousness of your claim.

Luc Longley averaged 11.7 ppg in the 1996 finals. Dennis Rodman averaged 7.5. None of these two players won Finals MVP, but do you or do you not believe that Luc Longley was closer to being the MVP of that series than Dennis Rodman?

I don't know if Magic led the Lakers in total points that 1980 series, but I am almost positive that he was well under Kareem in scoring average. Kareem had multiple 35+ games that series if I remember correctly.

Do we have to make a thread askint NT if Kobe deserved the Finals MVP? I cant believe two threads are now talking about this, neither of which is the topic. Pau Gasol did NOT deserve the finals MVP. Can we put this idiotic claim to rest yet? Geez.

Do we have to make a thread askint NT if Kobe deserved the Finals MVP? I cant believe two threads are now talking about this, neither of which is the topic. Pau Gasol did NOT deserve the finals MVP. Can we put this idiotic claim to rest yet? Geez.

It is sad when so much time and effort is spent attempting to discredit another mans achievements.

Xta just let it go already

It is sad when so much time and effort is spent attempting to discredit another mans achievements.

Honestly, why are you so hung up on 40%?  Really.  Dead honest question. 

Are you asking me to look at the last 30 years to check their shooting percentages?  Like they matter?  I mean, really? 

40% isn't sexy, but it won.  The end result was he won.  And it wouldn't be 40% if not for the last game.  And Boston's D was geared at him the entire time, the other 3 series he played he didn't shoot 40%, where were you then? 

I really don't get at all why you care about that 40% so hard.  It doesn't take away a single solitary thing.  Nobody ever votes on MVP regular season or finals based on shooting %.  Otherwise Olden Polynice would be an elite player.  Bynum would be in the mix.  D12 would have like 5 MVP's already.  It really doesn't matter grand scheme.  But you seem to think otherwise, my guess being, just to knock Kobe's body of work even more.  For why, i have no idea. 

Honestly, why are you so hung up on 40%?  Really.  Dead honest question. 

Are you asking me to look at the last 30 years to check their shooting percentages?  Like they matter?  I mean, really? 

40% isn't sexy, but it won.  The end result was he won.  And it wouldn't be 40% if not for the last game.  And Boston's D was geared at him the entire time, the other 3 series he played he didn't shoot 40%, where were you then? 

I really don't get at all why you care about that 40% so hard.  It doesn't take away a single solitary thing.  Nobody ever votes on MVP regular season or finals based on shooting %.  Otherwise Olden Polynice would be an elite player.  Bynum would be in the mix.  D12 would have like 5 MVP's already.  It really doesn't matter grand scheme.  But you seem to think otherwise, my guess being, just to knock Kobe's body of work even more.  For why, i have no idea. 

It is sad when so much time and effort is spent attempting to discredit another mans achievments.

It is sad when so much time and effort is spent attempting to discredit another mans achievments.

Just let it go already

Just let it go already

First of all, I remember Michael Jordan being 35 at the time, 4 years older than Kobe is now.
but you cannot look at it with age dude. look at the mileage on both meaning how many minutes played by each. kobe came out of high school and has probably played more games/minutes in the nba and playoffs than mj up til this point. i think. im not sure...

why do you think the consensus is that kobe only has 2-3 high level years left in him?

First of all, I remember Michael Jordan being 35 at the time, 4 years older than Kobe is now.
but you cannot look at it with age dude. look at the mileage on both meaning how many minutes played by each. kobe came out of high school and has probably played more games/minutes in the nba and playoffs than mj up til this point. i think. im not sure...

why do you think the consensus is that kobe only has 2-3 high level years left in him?

Back
Top Bottom