**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

B074C6C4-BE04-4D2C-AC3F-91F7B07C9DEA.jpeg

What should we expect from the Lakers?

There is no clear path for the Lakers to acquire a third star to team up with LeBron James and Anthony Davis, assuming one is even available this summer.

The Lakers are over the salary cap, and their roster options are limited outside of bringing back their own free agents: Schroder, Alex Caruso and Talen Horton-Tucker. Signing all three pushes them into the luxury tax, leaving Los Angeles with the $5.9 million tax midlevel and veterans minimum exceptions to fill out the rest of the roster. If the Lakers let Schroder walk but bring back Caruso and Horton-Tucker, they are still limited to the $5.9 million tax midlevel exception even if Montrezl Harrell declines his $9.7 million player option.

A sign-and-trade is an option, but it would trigger the $143 million hard cap, meaning the Lakers would need to shed the contracts of Harrell and either Kyle Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Is there a team out there that would take on the $39 million owed to Kuzma or the $17 million owed to Caldwell-Pope?

For example, would Brooklyn consider Kuzma and the No. 22 pick in this month's draft to help facilitate a Dinwiddie sign-and-trade? The $13 million Kuzma contract would add to the Nets' substantial luxury tax bill. DeRozan makes sense for the Lakers, but would the Spurs want back a package of Caldwell-Pope, Kuzma and the 22nd pick?

Acquiring a player in a sign-and-trade could also cost the Lakers Caruso or Horton-Tucker, leaving the Lakers with the veterans minimum to fill out their bench.

I am absolutely against a sign and trade, hard-capping the team again.

What should we expect from the Lakers?

There is no clear path for the Lakers to acquire a third star to team up with LeBron James and Anthony Davis, assuming one is even available this summer.

The Lakers are over the salary cap, and their roster options are limited outside of bringing back their own free agents: Schroder, Alex Caruso and Talen Horton-Tucker. Signing all three pushes them into the luxury tax, leaving Los Angeles with the $5.9 million tax midlevel and veterans minimum exceptions to fill out the rest of the roster. If the Lakers let Schroder walk but bring back Caruso and Horton-Tucker, they are still limited to the $5.9 million tax midlevel exception even if Montrezl Harrell declines his $9.7 million player option.

A sign-and-trade is an option, but it would trigger the $143 million hard cap, meaning the Lakers would need to shed the contracts of Harrell and either Kyle Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Is there a team out there that would take on the $39 million owed to Kuzma or the $17 million owed to Caldwell-Pope?

For example, would Brooklyn consider Kuzma and the No. 22 pick in this month's draft to help facilitate a Dinwiddie sign-and-trade? The $13 million Kuzma contract would add to the Nets' substantial luxury tax bill. DeRozan makes sense for the Lakers, but would the Spurs want back a package of Caldwell-Pope, Kuzma and the 22nd pick?

Acquiring a player in a sign-and-trade could also cost the Lakers Caruso or Horton-Tucker, leaving the Lakers with the veterans minimum to fill out their bench.

I am absolutely against a sign and trade, hard-capping the team again.

I agree. Hard capping this team would be a bad move. Based on what I've read and, I don't see us making any huge roster changes (and frankly I don't think we need to).

Actually a sign and trade WOULD work for us if we know for sure Caruso is leaving AND we bring back a handful of players (at least 5 for 2) to come back for DS and also include Kuzma.

I wouldn’t rule it out by u likely

Actually a sign and trade WOULD work for us if we know for sure Caruso is leaving AND we bring back a handful of players to come back with DS and also include Kuzma. I wouldn’t rule it out
Sign and trading away Schroder doesn't hard-cap the team. It's bringing in a DeRozan or Dinwiddie with a sign and trade that hard-caps the team.

Sign and trading away Schroder doesn't hard-cap the team. It's bringing in a DeRozan or Dinwiddie with a sign and trade that hard-caps the team.
Oh ya? I thought US signing and then trading Shroeder initiates it

Back
Top Bottom