Law School Applications Are Collapsing (As They Should Be)

It appears that law schools are about to experience a bit of economic justice. 

As the New York Times reports today, applications from aspiring JDs are on pace to hit a thirty year low. About 30,000 brave souls have applied for a spot this fall's law school class, a staggering 20 percent drop from this time last year, and down 38 percent from 2010, as shown in the graph below from the Law School Admissions Council.  When all is said and done, about 40,000  students are projected to enroll, which would cap off a 24 percent free-fall in just three years -- or the time it takes your average student to graduate. 

This is a desperately needed adjustment, for which the academy largely has itself to blame.  The legal economy is a shambles, and law schools have done virtually nothing to react.

LSAC_Law_School_Applications.PNG

For the last decade and a half, universities treated legal education as a cash cow. Tuition rose beyond all reason, so that the average private law school grad in the class of 2011 borrowed $125,000 for their degree, according to the American Bar Association. Public school grads were a little better off, borrowing around $75,700. With students forking over ungodly sums of cash to learn the fine arts of torts and contracts, new institutions opened rapidly. These schools often catered to relatively marginal students, who they lured with egregiously over-optimistic jobs stats. Today, there are about 201 ABA-approved law schools, 19 more than there were in 2000, and seven more than in 2007, when the legal industry suffered a recession-induced aneurysm from which it hasn't recovered. 

Just how crippled is the legal job market? Utterly. Here's the graph of total employment in legal services since 1990. It includes everyone from attorneys to paralegals to secretaries, but it gives you a sense of the industry's much deteriorated health. There are 50,000 fewer jobs today than five years ago. In meantime, schools have been graduating more than 40,000 students a year. 

Many of them been eaten alive on the job market. According to the National Association of Legal Placement, just 85 percent of the class of 2011 had a job 9 months after graduation, down about 6 percentage points, according to the National Association of Legal Placement. But fewer than two-thirds had a full-time job that required a law degree, and not even half were at law firms. At the largest law school in the country, Thomas M. Cooley, only 37 percent of new graduates are getting full-time jobs that require their JD. 

Employment_for_New_Law_Grads_NALP_EDIT.PNG

With jobs few and far between, salaries have tumbled. Median pay for new grads in private practice has fallen 18 percent since since 2010 to $85,000. The only reason this particular combination of debt and falling pay isn't a bigger disaster is the federal government's income based repayment program, which caps student loan payments at 15 percent of income and forgives the balance after 25 years. 

The upshot of all this is that unless you're graduating from a truly top program -- and then, only if you graduate reasonably high in your class -- going to law school has turned into professional Russian Roulette. If it works out, you survive to pay off a truly enormous debt burden. If you don't make it on the job market, you've just spent three valuable years of your life sweating through deadening lectures and high-stakes finals for nothing, probably consigning yourself to a quarter-century  loan payments the process. 

And yet, the response from law schools has amounted to not much more than some extremely belated soul searching. In June, the Wall Street Journal found 10 schools that are considering cutting their enrollment -- a positive development, but only an incremental one. And still, some members of the professoriate don't to understand the problems they're facing. Take this gem from the Times story:
Some argue that the drop is an indictment of the legal training itself -- a failure to keep up with the profession's needs. "

We have a significant mismatch between demand and supply," said Gillian K. Hadfield, professor of law and economics at the University of Southern California. "It's not a problem of producing too many lawyers. Actually, we have an exploding demand for both ordinary folk lawyers and big corporate ones."
In a word, no. Legal education could do a better job teaching students actual practice skills, and maybe that would help a few students find gainful employment. But the difference would be on the margins, and there's simply no sign of "exploding demand" anywhere in the market. As Citi Private Bank -- the pre-eminent lender for major law firms -- noted in a recent report, demand for high-end corporate legal services has fallen at a 0.4 percent annual rate since every year since 2008. Revenue at big firms has grown slower than inflation. And while firms have tried to raise their official rates to make up the difference, the reality is they're handing out discounts left and right, particularly to big clients.  

Citi_Legal_Industry_Performance_By_Period.PNG

And things aren't looking up any time soon. On the bottom of the market, companies like LegalZoom that provide basic legal documents online are taking work from solo-practice attorneys and small firms. On the higher end, the rate of major firm collapses has doubled since 2007, and Citi has a watch list of others it believes are at risk, especially as their old business models come under attack from new sources of competition. The rise of legal outsourcing firms that can competently handle bread-and-butter corporate legal work in bulk will continue cutting into firms' profits. Computer programs capable of searching through vast troves of legal documents will continue to shrink on the number of lawyers needed for litigation. The industry is looking at a period of consolidation. 

Changing what law students are taught won't help. The only answer is to graduate fewer lawyers, and cut the price of an education that is swiftly becoming a less valuable asset. That means fewer law schools, with fewer dollars flowing into them. 

Things are about to get really ugly for the legal academy. As they should.
Lulz at "deceptive practices".  That's an understatement
mean.gif
About half of all law grads the past 5 years are actually lawyers.

I once had Grand dreams of attending a prestigious law school and pursuing my dreams of serving as an advocate for justice... Then I remembered I'm not trying to spend the rest of my life reading. Didn't read the op... Just looked at the pics. That's all that matters really. The pics.

Good. It should be easier for me to get in with less applicants. MPP is my backup plan, though.

Last edited:
IMO people expect entirely too much out of the situation. a lot of these applicants are expecting to walk into six figure jobs right after law school. not the times anymore.

i wouldnt mind going to law school in the future but the only school id even really seriously consider is UMD since its cheaper and id get in state. not the greatest, but still very regionally recognized.

enough to land what I'd consider a decent job with the state or fedral guvmint or something but i have no idea what the **** to expect anymore. 

Last edited:
IMO people expect entirely too much out of the situation. a lot of these applicants are expecting to walk into six figure jobs right after law school. not the times anymore.

i wouldnt mind going to law school in the future but the only school id even really seriously consider is UMD since its cheaper and id get in state. not the greatest, but still very regionally recognized.

enough to land what I'd consider a decent job with the state or fedral guvmint or something but i have no idea what the **** to expect anymore. 
when all the current graduates went into school, law schools were lying about earning potential, job prospects, and graduation numbers.

ny law school was promising a 91% employment rate at graduation.  In reality it was more like 56% employed after 9 months, and only 1/3 of THOSE were even employed in law jobs.  And that's not differentiating between paid and unpaid gigs.

**** is a travesty.
OP aren't you a lawyer in NY?
I was.  Took a leave from my job in December.

Last edited:
when all the current graduates went into school, law schools were lying about earning potential, job prospects, and graduation numbers.

ny law school was promising a 91% employment rate at graduation.  In reality it was more like 56% employed after 9 months, and only 1/3 of THOSE were even employed in law jobs.  And that's not differentiating between paid and unpaid gigs.

**** is a travesty.
i heard about them fudging them #s. i didnt know they were flat out lying though thats foul as hell.

i couldnt even imagine paying that much for school again and i went to the GW for undergrad
tired.gif

Last edited:
Welp. Guess I won't be catching any cases in the future. Since lawyers prolly gonna suck 10yrs dwn the line.

I'm happy about this news. The ABA needs to stop accrediting law schools and shut down like 75% of existing law schools. The legal education system needs to take some lessons from the medical school system. Not everyone should be able to become a lawyer, only the elite.

Last edited:
I'm happy about this news. The ABA needs to stop accrediting law schools and shut down like 75% of existing law schools. The legal education system needs to take some lessons from the medical school system. Not everyone should be able to become a lawyer, only the elite.

It seem slike only ol body can go into Law, and I think to myself is there a need for hat many lawyers? Idk I wouldnt want my kid to get into LAw unless I knew they were Top notch and eventually looking to get into Politics.

I disagree, we need more doctors and more lawyers. The American Medical Association limits the number of doctors that can enter the market and thus drives up health care costs. In terms of access to legal counsel, it is still far too scarce among lower income Americans so access to legal education should expand and not contract.

The AMA and the ABA should guarantee competence among law and medical schools and the graduates that they produce. They should not act as barriers to entry to the professions and they certaintly should not be serving to puff up the already turgid egos of the most well connected and privileged 22 year olds in this country. There are many more people who could finish law school or medical school than are admitted into those schools.

What needs to be addressed is the massive cost associated with professional degrees. Unless you will make six figures right out of school it makes no sense, financially, to incur six figures of debt. Get the cost under control, create berths for all truly qualified applicants and we would see more committed and less indebted doctors and lawyers and lower costs for their services and thus more access for low income folks.

The whole reason I didn't go to school to be a dr. or lawyer (1st choice growing up)......  risk 100k on student loans which you can't default on if things don't work out the way you plan? Nah, i'm good.  They follow you till death even through bankruptcy.

I wasn't about to risk that kind of debt for a possible job. Team No Student Loans 
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
 still got my bachelors working through school and with a little pell grant help.  I'm doing good, and i am constantly harnessing my skills for my current profession.  probably go get my mba in the next few years after I stack up.

Interesting read. My plan was to attend a law school in the Fall, but unfortunately my LSAT scores were not where I wanted them to be. I think the problem, which the article touched on quite well, is the number of accredited law schools. When I was taking my LSAT, the proctor (a current law student at this specific small school) could not effectively read aloud. I was shocked. These small institutions are training people, who in all honesty, have no business representing anyone in front of a judge or jury. I'd like to see accurate job numbers (not school reported numbers) of recent graduates from T-14 schools compared to the rest of the field. I've always been under the impression that law school is a poor investment unless you attend a great school without having to accrue massive amounts of debt.

Taking the LSAT in February, obviously knew about the decrease already, but this is good news for me.

this job hunt ain't no joke. def still glad i did it though. life long dream achieved not just some "i don't know what to do after undergrad"type deal.

that in itself is a huge problem. those people who get into the law for no other reason than because they want dough **** it up. they may be great attorneys and smart and all that stuff, but after a while the money won't be enough and then they either quit or stop trying, neither of which is a good thing cause one just means you wasted time and money and took a spot of someone who might have actually cared or you hate your job and slacking and affecting other peoples lives.

the legal profession needs a serious overhaul. i personally know people who spent all three years of law school going to concerts and doing drugs never doing one hour of actual legal work outside the classroom working right now. with something as serious as peoples lives on the line be it criminal matters or civil issues, someone just collecting a check is not the best person.

that is where you get these PI attorney's who do nothing but take cases and settle in a month for a quick 30k rip of your 100k when they could have got you 1M at trial and in turn 300k, but i can settle 10 30k cases in 2 months. that million might take a year or two of my upfront resources and a lot more leg work.
'

Yeah, I was reading about this a while back on how over saturated the market is with law grads. Normally like t15 law schools are where you lands jobs though. Kinda similar in the business field, not yet though.. Professor was telling us that plenty of kids are majoring in finance/accounting, but the better schools will be the ones that land you the big4 and f500 jobs. Then there are the ivies+ targets which hook you on wall street.

Last edited:
I disagree, we need more doctors and more lawyers. The American Medical Association limits the number of doctors that can enter the market and thus drives up health care costs. In terms of access to legal counsel, it is still far too scarce among lower income Americans so access to legal education should expand and not contract.

The AMA and the ABA should guarantee competence among law and medical schools and the graduates that they produce. They should not act as barriers to entry to the professions and they certaintly should not be serving to puff up the already turgid egos of the most well connected and privileged 22 year olds in this country. There are many more people who could finish law school or medical school than are admitted into those schools.

There are tons of people who can do the jobs of others, or can finish certain degrees and programs, but the barriers to entry is what attempts to get the best of the best. Obviously the valedictorian of a random community college can do extremely well at Harvard, and would likely better than the legacy'ed or rich kid eff-ups who don't go to class ever and get a 2.7 GPA and still graduate. I don't think there need to be more doctors. I also don't want the profession to be opened up because I want to know that when I go to my doctor, he or she is an able, skilled, intelligent, elite practitioner--not some joe schmoe who got his degree at a lousy medical program.

Your argument for more lawyers is so that the lower income population can have access to legal services. The problem isn't that there aren't enough lawyers. There are TOO MANY lawyers--none of whom want to perform services for the lower income population--these are lawyers who would rather remain unemployed or get a job in a different industry. These are lawyers who would rather pursue a different profession or remain unemployed rather than become those kinds of lawyers, and this is for a variety of reasons, including state governments not having enough money to hire more public defenders or the lack of appeal of opening up a solo practice to help people who may not be able to pay them or deal with the problems of low income people all day when they've dropped $200K in a professional school.

Same thing they've been saying the past two years now. I have one friend in now. She'll be graduating next year. It'll be interestng to see what she does. I have another friend who ended up deferring her acceptance because of the school she got into. Idk if she's still going to try or not. It'll be interesting.

If I were to do law it'd be entertainment. That field seems to be growing with all the new technology and venues of revenue.

^ no one gets into entertainment law.  it works just like the rest of the entertainment industry.  "who do you know?"  it's a small circle.

One of the dudes i grew up with got his law degree from a school in Florida called Barry Law School circa 2006. Dude has up to this day had problems finding consistent work.

Back
Top Bottom