let this thread die (NYK)

I knew the boy was being sarcastic, what I didn't know was whether he noticed the change in the new font. Many people haven't so I tried to make it clear.

Ya'll punks really don't like me :lol:

Love It :nthat:

Boy?

Punks?

Don't get too attached. He will be traded for a broken ex star to be named later.

All jokes aside he's my favorite knick to root for. Just love the defensive mindset. I was devastated when he got injured. :smh:

we aint trading shump unless its for cp3... i can live without lin but not shump... hes homegrown and we need to keep him unless we get a superstar in return for him... i like how he took a pic with a nets fan but covered the logo :lol:

Don't get too attached. He will be traded for a broken ex star to be named later.

All jokes aside he's my favorite knick to root for. Just love the defensive mindset. I was devastated when he got injured. :smh:
Can't wait to have Vince Carter and Dirk on the team :pimp:

Stoudemire would occasionally toss in a counter spin at the end of each move, but it’s typically slow and labored, by his standards. And for whatever reason, he is slower and much less comfortable from the right wing, and uses many more dribbles to do his work there.

His post game reminds of Nene’s. Both are speed-based and generally lacking in “crisis moves” to which the players can turn when the defender manages to withstand the first quick attack. Two things can ruin a post game like that: the combination of age and injuries, and the influx of new players who take up space down low. Both came together in New York last season, and Woodson and his staff face big a task in reinventing Stoudemire as a post-up force. But it’s certainly not an insurmountable challenge.

Center Tyson Chandler obviously needs to be somewhere the near basket, which naturally brings another defender close to the rim. That’s not a new thing for Stoudemire; as mentioned above, he has plenty of experience eyeing defenders lurking just outside the lane on the right baseline and finishing his move before they can get there. Forward Carmelo Anthony also enjoys the wing area, though he’s very right-wing dominant in both his isolations and post-up plays — something that might have made the Knicks believe he’d be a nice fit with Stoudemire. But he’s still down there, and so a lot of Stoudemire’s post attacks last season drew him into crowds like this:

Or this:

Or this, with Dwight Howard (No. 12, under the basket) already in the paint a few steps away from Chandler, and Hedo Turkoglu (No. 15, at the free-throw line) almost ignoring Anthony up top, ready to crash on Stoudemire’s righty hook shot:

Anthony is a smart player, though. He knows that when Stoudemire is posting up and Chandler is in the game, he has to get his tail out to three-point line to give Stoudemire room to breathe. But that raises an ongoing issue in New York: Teams don’t fear Anthony’s three-point shooting. Last season, then, opponents sent defenders diving down into the post off Anthony, along with Landry Fields, Iman Shumpert and other shaky long-range shooters the Knicks sent out there.

In addition, Stoudemire, according to every scout, coach and personnel guy you talk to, lost a bit of explosiveness and leaping ability last season, whether it was due to age, several nagging injuries or all of it combined. He gave us glimpses of his old explosiveness, especially late in the season before his back injury in March, but they were mostly just glimpses.

All of this stuff — age, injuries, new personnel — combined to close Stoudemire’s post-up window a precious half-second faster than he was used to in Phoenix. Those righty finishes on the left side? They came with his initial defender still in his face, or with a helper there from the weak side earlier than expected, in position to challenge or block the shot. And on those righty hooks, more defenders were able to keep up with Stoudemire’s first step, so that they were in front him when he gathered the ball to shoot, and not a half-step behind.

Without counter moves, the sort of things Olajuwon is teaching him now, Stoudemire had nowhere to go. He has never been a gifted passer from the block or on the move; even in 2010-11, by far his best passing season, the bulk of his assists came from a stationary position above the foul line, where he could pick out cutters and pitch the ball to shooters spaced around the court in former coach Mike D’Antoni’s system.

It sounds simple to say, “Be a better passer on the move, Amar’e!” Or, “Learn the ‘Dream Shake,’ Amar’e.” But these are major adjustments for in-their-prime stars used to playing a certain way.

There is nothing magical about how the Knicks might better mesh their three frontcourt stars, both in general and in optimizing Stoudemire’s post-up game and other individual skills. The solutions have always been right there on tape, lost amid the pile of other empty possessions — Anthony looping around a Jeremy Lin/Chandler pick-and-roll; Stoudemire cutting from the weak side as Anthony posts up on the right block, or Anthony cutting from the right as Stoudemire posts up on the left; high-low post-ups with Stoudemire and Anthony the same side; the sort of snug pick-and-rolls near the lane that Monta Ellis and David Lee got so good at in Golden State; all three stars becoming more willing and able to make tricky interior passes on the move; more pick-and-roll combinations, and more movement from more players built around those combinations.

We’ve gone over all it before, and we’re not even touching on other big things, including the possibility of cutting the minutes the three stars play together.

Stoudemire’s post game died in New York last season. A week with Olajuwon isn’t going to resurrect it, but it’s the kind of good, hard work that can help settle one issue among many interrelated problems that plagued New York’s broken offense. New York won’t solve out all of them, all of the time, and addressing one doesn’t necessarily create some kind of domino effect toward an efficient NBA offense. Evolution at the team and individual level in the NBA is a tricky, unpredictable thing. But small bits of progress, even inconsistent progress, on a dozen small fronts adds up.

to make this team work on offense we need to run an actual offense. whether it's something motion based or what have you, this team needs to come down with plays to call. there's no reason we can't have guys moving and scoring without the ball.

For reals.

I'm tired of everyone standing around watching melo. It's embarrassing. They don't move around! When there are people cutting he can find them.

with some actual PGs on this team, players will start moving without the ball more imo
there really isn't any excuse for them not too. i just wish we had someone that could consistently come off screens. novak's too slow/weak to be effective in that role and jr's more of a volume shooter although he could probably roll off a couple a game.

with some actual PGs on this team, players will start moving without the ball more imo
Excellent point. There's really no point in moving without the ball when your pgs are Lin/Douglas/Bibby; wasted motion imo. I excluded B. Diddy because he does find guys consistently, but he didn't play enough (stay healthy enough).

Back
Top Bottom