let this thread die (NYK)

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

I have no problem with Woodson coaching himself into a full time job. Seems like a classy dude that knows how to communicate with his players.

Earlier in the season I read an article that said he was responsible for the knicks switching so much because it is an essential part of his defensive system which was alarming to me because switching was killing them but I've noticed these past 3 games they've made more of an effort to stay with their man than Ive seen all season long.

Loving the direction of the team but I'm being cautiously optimistic. I'd just love to see this squad finish over .500 after digging that hole. And winning a playoff game. Its almost like how do you not give Woody the job if he wins a playoff game or 2 after pringles failed to do it in 3 years.
Why do you think he ran those switches so often????

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Also have yall noticed we haven't been switching as much or when we do it's the forwards and centers and if guards do they get back to their man?

Woodson with that sabotage from within
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

roll.gif
@ 'Sabotage from within'

That's funny haha. But Woodson was known for switching. Perhaps he learned from mistakes or realizes we don't have the personal to do it

The key difference I see is that he can communicate. Dantoni was really terrible at that. Always mumbling and giggling, deflecting criticism.

I wonder what happens on team USA now with melo and dantoni

Jeremy had a great 4th quarter i see

Melo didn't have a great offensive 4th but he was hustling and playing hard defense

http://twitter.com/JaredZwerling
Jared Zwerling: Perhaps the board in Knicks locker room before games should have the opposing team's best player's name w/ the words "A very winnable game." 

Al Iannazzone: Carmelo Anthony was asked about Pacers forward Danny Granger calling this home-and-home "Two winnable games." After the Knicks swept both, Anthony said, "It’s good. I hear them. It’s motivating for me, for the team. A couple of guys were talking about it in the locker room. I guess it was two winnable games – for us. We’ll take that."
Al Iannazzone: Carmelo Anthony said the Knicks' fourth-quarter play was impressive because they showed poise after nearly squandering a 14-point lead to Indiana. "We kept our composure," Melo said. "We gave up the lead on the road, which is tough, especially in this hostile environment. For us to keep our keep our composure and still pull the game out the way we did, buckle down defensively, get stops, get out in the open court, milk the clock, use some of our go-to plays. As a result we pulled the game out.
Marc Berman: Locker room was full of singing and laughter on St. Patrick's Day once they shed green unis. Carmelo Anthony on Woodson: “With the way he is able to motivate, he is able to get the best out of everybody. Not having to worry about offense because now we rely on our defense to get our offense going, which always a good thing.'' http://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/statuses/181213855970631681
Tommy Dee: Why did people feel the need to try and define Linsanity? He's going to have good games and bad games. And he's resilient.

I didn't want Woodson to be the HC come next season purely based on his track record but he has been saying (and doing) all the right things thus far and facts are he never had a team this talented in Atlanta.  If he proves to be the hard nosed coach that won't tolerate any BS from his players then he may be exactly what the Knicks need to take that step to the next level.  I'm beginning to warm up to the idea.
MDA wasn't the problem though!

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Fields left his man wide open for a three to help and got cussed out and benched for the rest of the game.
I honestly did not even notice this while watching this game but is exactly what I'm talking about.  Landry had been playing relatively well for us and he did not hesitate to make his point known despite that.  Definitely refreshing to see.  I also like that he brings in the second unit a lot earlier than what we're accustomed to seeing, he recognizes that our bench is very good and can hang and lets these guys get their PT.  A big key to these victories has been balance in scoring instead of expecting 1 or 2 guys to keep us in it.

I just don't think Phil has the energy for what it would take. If it was 7 years ago it wouldn't even be a question. But it's going to be very hard for him to travel and put on the work it requires.

Melo and Stat look like completely different players. Even on the night of a back-to-back, Stat was attacking the rim instead of settling for that 18-ft jumper he hasn't been able to make all year.

Carmelo legitimately distributed the ball when he could and took it to the rim in the crunch. He and Lin looked well together. Not 100% in sync but good enough. Limiting Jeremy's usage is good for him. Limiting his minutes but still letting him run point when he's in but also mixing it up with Melo.

I haven't been able to watch most of the games but Landry seems to be the odd man out again. He has his good nights and bad nights. He blew some gimme shots and got chewed out for it.

Chandler remains the most important player on the team. He defends the rim great, punches out loose balls, fights for boards, keeps a presence in the middle and makes up for guys who mess up on switches by covering there guy but getting back to the rim to defend penetration.

so knicks fans, why did jeffries get so much criticism and hate? seems like he always played hard, regardless of what team he was on.

http://knicksnow.com/videos/801/fan-forum-roundup
laugh.gif
This was a fun watch.  You can tell these dudes like each other and have fun with each other.  A talented group of guys that like each other and accept each of their roles without ego despite how the media seems to want to spin it.  All they needed was a proper coach/leader.  On paper they do have a deeper team than the Mavs last year, which is impressive cuz them dudes were so stacked.

And Jeffries last season was hesitant when it came to offense, he did miss layups, but you could see the fear in his movements.  His mind was too heavy, it was like the rim killed his parents.  You take his intensity and work ethic mixed with his efficiency now with the shots that come to him, makes him invaluable.  We were just frustrated after the Melo trade last season because we expected instant results, he was the scapegoat.

Let's make the playoffs before we talk about Woodson staying on full-time. We've looked good, so we have a right to be happy, but we should all know how quickly things can turn. How they respond to a bad loss (which will happen) is going to be a good test of this "new" team.

Major difference I see on defense is that after switching there's a concerted effort to get back to their original men before the offense has time to expose the mismatch. Only 2 or 3 times did we not get back in time all game. Switching can work if played that way. When D'Antoni was running things they would never get back to their man and consistently found themselves in a mismatch. Definitely some trolling going on by Woodson lol

I'm happy we got to shut Granger up...one game at a time.
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by DMan14

so knicks fans, why did jeffries get so much criticism and hate? seems like he always played hard, regardless of what team he was on.
Things done changed, but I remember...
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
im happy for you dudes... for real... you guys actually look forward to seeing your team play the next game...

Back
Top Bottom