Lets get a tips, tricks & steps 2 help Produce STICKY PL

lol
no life and no car..wth you be doing?

and he just makes beats...i got people to rap over them when he is ready. i wont let him showcase his beats until i believe he is ready.
i dont believe in extended warranties..never did..i know when i worked retail they were a "scam" that people never used only bought for peace of mind but actually wasted money because they forget about em and nothing really goes wrong with what they cover.
and ganja..i dont smoke so i wont buy it for him..lol but if he wants to light a LL COOL J before he smashes a mpc thats fine

i just got the waves diamond bundle so if anyone wants to trade plug ins...PM me. on my g5, it works with pro tools, logic, peak, and waveburner. dunno what else its compatible with
...and
ANGELS BASEBALL
WE RUN NEW YORK

Classic - I havent messed with the vocal one , but i did a trial of the ssl 4000 - I opened up a new session and i was gonna use it on something, but i ended up bringing the wrong session to my house...that was two weeks ago ... and i've been to busy since then, but next week or so i'll gove my review of it

btw Classic - do you record others or just yourself, cause i had a quesion about eq and compression, i didnt go to a engineering school, so all that i know is experience...could you shed light on those topics? I think it would help the thread alot

Thanks
myspace.com/hwflossss

Where did ya'll get that Waves plug in at?? :nerd:
nerd.gif
RAIDER NATION​

^ Thats exactly the info that i wanted to be put in further detail about Rolling off Diff. frequencies and everything having its own space for a cleaner sound - Go into depth about what your normal EQ and compression settings are for VOCALS, i wanna compare notes and data...Of course everyone setup will be different and applied diff. but you can get a general idea of where you should be headed

P.S - check your PM
myspace.com/hwflossss

Quote:
btw Classic - do you record others or just yourself, cause i had a quesion about eq and compression, i didnt go to a engineering school, so all that i know is experience...could you shed light on those topics? I think it would help the thread alot
ing point is usually at a 3:1 ratio, fast attack, and a 0 threshold and i'll work from there. i've found good results between a 2:1 and 3:1 ratio for vocals. i also use a soft knee. for those that don't know about compressors, think about a compressor as an automatic fader ride. if done right, it'll eliminate spiking in your vocals or whatever else you're recording. it'll also help avoid clipping if you do it right. as far as EQing vocals, i've found 100 to 260 Hz is real boomy so i usually cut that a little bit. if you cut it too much your vocals will sound kind of boxy. i boost between 1-3kHz. those frequencies are usually where you can improve the clarity in speech. usually the real nasty "s" sound is around 6kHz so i'll drop it around 5dB or so. that's known as "de-essing." then i'll cut the hi freqs out. those are all pretty much starting points, but it all comes down to your ear. once i figure out how to print screen on a mac i'll post some screen shots. what's funny is they never taught me this @#%$ at school. i learned this while i was an assistant engineer

...and
ANGELS BASEBALL
WE RUN NEW YORK

So Classic let me ask you this - do you have an out side compressor or Do you record dry then use Waves program compressor put on top of the dry vocal with the settings you have explained?
myspace.com/hwflossss

i use an ivory 5051 compressor/eq. if i'm recording at a studio that doesn't have an outboard compressor, then i just insert a compressor before i record

this is a trick that one of snoop's engineers taught me. basically, what you do is sweep through different frequencies and wherever it sounds real nasty, that's where you cut. this technique is also used in live sound. engineers will take a mic up the front of house speakers and sweep to find the frequency that causes the most feedback and cut that frequency out. just be careful how much you cut because you don't wanna take the life out of a vocal.

and
ANGELS BASEBALL
WE RUN NEW YORK

1. Classic what PC or Computer are you using at home? Just trying to make sure i have enough CPU for this stuff

2. I see you got Inserts and Bus setups - Can you explain what your doing with that and the Comp. or EQ

Maybe in a word document with still photos like above- Im really interested in this Engineerin process

EDIT***HERE IS MY RECORDING CHAIN:
i have a digi 002 using protools for hiphop vocals...my mic is audio technica 3035 condenser
and a Stedman XL steel pop filter

Thanks
myspace.com/hwflossss

AHHHHH

LOL

I'm looking at the post classic - i would love to politic with you on regular steps of the vocal process and get some tips
myspace.com/hwflossss

i'm running a power mac g5 at home. if you're running pro tools, i suggest at least 2 gigs of ram. as far as inserts, i used a compressor because i used a real crappy pop filter so i was able to hear the p's and b's real loud. i slightly compressed the vocal (forgot what settings i used for it) to tighten it up a little bit more and eliminated most of the popping. i didn't use the compressor as a regular vocal levelor. i'm bussing the vocal out to an aux input because i have a reverb on the aux. with time based effects such as reverbs and delays, i'll send a duplicate signal of the vocal to an aux and put the effect on that aux. one of the reasons is because i still have full control of the dry vocal and can mix the wet vocal in and another reason is because of any latency issues. it sucks that LE doesn't provide delay compensation. i've only run into that on Pro Tools HD.

as far as your set up, i would recommend getting a tube preamp. it can make your 3035 sound like a gemini. since you got waves, try running vocals through your L2. that plug-in is based on probably the most popular compressor in audio engineering period. if you ever want tips, you can hit me up on aim: kkreuk stalks me
...and
ANGELS BASEBALL
WE RUN NEW YORK

Classic basically dropped the knowledge...As far as compressors I usually record to tape as well with a ratio of about 2:1-3:1 on vocals...

EQ is always an up and down thing, but I almost always find myself using a filter to cut off about 80-90hz from the vocals. Just to sort of clean it up a bit and just because there is nothing really coming out that low from the MC/singer that should be in the mix anyways...a little trick that I use to do when I first starte to mess with EQ is I would use that 7 Band EQ that Classic got a screen shot of, I would put my Q to as narrow as it could possibly be and I would add 12dB to whatever frequency I was looking at and just sweep through the frequencies and see if there is anything that sounded good or bad. If it sounded good I would have a slight boost in that certain frequency, if it sounded bad I would cut it. I would usually find something good or bad in the mid range of the vocals somewhere around 1-2.5kHz....but that always depends on the style, person and all that good stuff...
RAIDER NATION​

one more thing where should attack and release be for hiphop vocals
myspace.com/hwflossss

the 2kxl is dope, but get the 2500 if you can. i have a 2kxl and my boy has a 2500. the 2500 has more practical features like usb, internal hard drive, 8 outs, bigger tilt screen, autochop, on the fly sampling, etc. workflow on the 2500 > 2kxl, but both get the job done.

hey floss, you still have the links to the logic tutorials?
...and
ANGELS BASEBALL
WE RUN NEW YORK

Back
Top Bottom