Let's settle this. Which active players deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I don't want a Hall of Fame where players like Grant Hill and Gasol can get in. Just ridiculous.
Gasol isn't okay but Pippen is? Explain.
If you don't know why Pippen is more worthy of the Hall than Gasol then you probably need to watch more basketball.
roll.gif
I've been watching basketball since I was 5 years old
indifferent.gif
It's a relative example. Gasol was the most integral part of those Lakers championships aside from Kobe. Subtract Gasol from those teams and Kobe wouldn't have rings #4 & #5.

You must not know jack about basketball if you don't think "sidekicks" are just as important as superstars on teams.
I'm well aware of the fact that Gasol is going to end up in the Hall. The criteria to get in is just not very difficult, especially the international component. Pretty much anything can be a relative example, that doesn't mean it isn't a terrible statement. And comparing Gasol to Pippen is definitely in that category.

I don't want a Hall of Fame where players like Grant Hill and Gasol can get in. Just ridiculous.
If you don't know why Pippen is more worthy of the Hall than Gasol then you probably need to watch more basketball.
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
It's a relative example. Gasol was the most integral part of those Lakers championships aside from Kobe. Subtract Gasol from those teams and Kobe wouldn't have rings #4 & #5.

You must not know jack about basketball if you don't think "sidekicks" are just as important as superstars on teams.
I'm well aware of the fact that Gasol is going to end up in the Hall. The criteria to get in is just not very difficult, especially the international component. Pretty much anything can be a relative example, that doesn't mean it isn't a terrible statement. And comparing Gasol to Pippen is definitely in that category.

roll.gif
indifferent.gif

I wasn't comparing their overall game, I was comparing their importance in being a sidekick on a championship team. And just as vital as Pippen was to those Bulls 'chips, Gasol was just as important to those Laker's chips. Especially if Gasol comes up big this season (and the playoffs) and the Lakers manage to win it again, for a 3rd consecutive time, there should be no debating whether Gasol deserves it or not.

roll.gif
indifferent.gif

I wasn't comparing their overall game, I was comparing their importance in being a sidekick on a championship team. And just as vital as Pippen was to those Bulls 'chips, Gasol was just as important to those Laker's chips. Especially if Gasol comes up big this season (and the playoffs) and the Lakers manage to win it again, for a 3rd consecutive time, there should be no debating whether Gasol deserves it or not.

Wallace isn't a lock in my view, but he should get in. What he did defensively over the years in his prime gets him in. Plus you add in a ring & the awards... He should get in.

VC isn't a lock but I also think he should get in... 8x all star, ROY, gold metal, stats, plus what he did dunking wise. Believe it or not, I think what he did dunking wise should be mentioned, when you're 1 of (if not the best) to do it, it should be mentioned. A ring would help him out a lot though.

Yao's a lock... HOF isn't just for the NBA (as mentioned). What he's done is pretty amazing hype wise & marketing wise.

Other locks -

Shaq
Kobe
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce

Wallace isn't a lock in my view, but he should get in. What he did defensively over the years in his prime gets him in. Plus you add in a ring & the awards... He should get in.

VC isn't a lock but I also think he should get in... 8x all star, ROY, gold metal, stats, plus what he did dunking wise. Believe it or not, I think what he did dunking wise should be mentioned, when you're 1 of (if not the best) to do it, it should be mentioned. A ring would help him out a lot though.

Yao's a lock... HOF isn't just for the NBA (as mentioned). What he's done is pretty amazing hype wise & marketing wise.

Other locks -

Shaq
Kobe
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

this. IMO pip was the best player in the league not named michael jordan obviously.

gasol is a hall of famer. its not just NBA here and pau is an incredible international player.
Pip wasn't better than Hakeem.

I know important and how good Pippen was but people hold him to such a high regard its disgusting.

Best player not named Michael Jordan?
sick.gif

dont get me wrong the dream is the man and one of the greatest players ever, the only player to win MVP, finals MVP and DPOY in the same season but ive always felt pip was so underrated and doesnt get much credit because he played alongside mike. he was so versatile and could play at least 4 positions. to me he was the 90s magic johnson but a better scorer.  he couldve won numerous individual awards if he wasnt in the shadow of mike and probably wouldve brought his bulls to the finals if it wasnt for hue hollins.

again, IMO

this. IMO pip was the best player in the league not named michael jordan obviously.

gasol is a hall of famer. its not just NBA here and pau is an incredible international player.
Pip wasn't better than Hakeem.

I know important and how good Pippen was but people hold him to such a high regard its disgusting.

Best player not named Michael Jordan?
sick.gif

dont get me wrong the dream is the man and one of the greatest players ever, the only player to win MVP, finals MVP and DPOY in the same season but ive always felt pip was so underrated and doesnt get much credit because he played alongside mike. he was so versatile and could play at least 4 positions. to me he was the 90s magic johnson but a better scorer.  he couldve won numerous individual awards if he wasnt in the shadow of mike and probably wouldve brought his bulls to the finals if it wasnt for hue hollins.

again, IMO

Originally Posted by Demps

my list:
kobe
shaq
duncan
garnett
jkidd
ray allen
pierce
pau
bron
wade
dwight

I want to hear your reason on why you left Dirk out.

oops. my mistake...i guess i was typiing d

edit: put dirk in that!

Originally Posted by Demps

my list:
kobe
shaq
duncan
garnett
jkidd
ray allen
pierce
pau
bron
wade
dwight

I want to hear your reason on why you left Dirk out.

oops. my mistake...i guess i was typiing d

edit: put dirk in that!

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Definite Hall of Famers:
Shaq
Kobe
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
Those dudes are second tier hall of famers and it is an insult to be grouped together with the first 4.
Maybe you did it just to throw dirk in there?
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Definite Hall of Famers:
Shaq
Kobe
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
Those dudes are second tier hall of famers and it is an insult to be grouped together with the first 4.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by knightngale

Definite Hall of Famers:
Shaq
Kobe
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
LOL wut. There are no "tiers" in the Basketball Hall of Fame. An insult? Really? They are all deserving athletes.

Originally Posted by knightngale

Definite Hall of Famers:
Shaq
Kobe
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
LOL wut. There are no "tiers" in the Basketball Hall of Fame. An insult? Really? They are all deserving athletes.

Most of the guys in that chunk (Kobe, Shaq, TD, KG, TD, Jason Kidd, Nash, Nowitzki, Ray, Pierce) are first ballot hall of famers.

Kobe, Shaq, TD, KG, Jason Kidd, Nash, and Nowitzki are all first-ballots.

I would say Pierce is, some may argue.

If Reggie is a first-ballot hall of famer, so is Ray Ray.

Kobe, Shaq, TD, and KG obviously had better CAREERS than the rest listed, but don't act like the other guys don't deserve to be in...

Most of the guys in that chunk (Kobe, Shaq, TD, KG, TD, Jason Kidd, Nash, Nowitzki, Ray, Pierce) are first ballot hall of famers.

Kobe, Shaq, TD, KG, Jason Kidd, Nash, and Nowitzki are all first-ballots.

I would say Pierce is, some may argue.

If Reggie is a first-ballot hall of famer, so is Ray Ray.

Kobe, Shaq, TD, and KG obviously had better CAREERS than the rest listed, but don't act like the other guys don't deserve to be in...

Steve Nash is top-tier IMO.

And no Allen Allen Iverson?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?
What other PG was doing it like these two this past decade? 

Gary Payton is a option also ... 

Steve Nash is top-tier IMO.

And no Allen Allen Iverson?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?
What other PG was doing it like these two this past decade? 

Gary Payton is a option also ... 

Stealing this from Bill Simmons (he applied it to baseball)
Level 1
Ground floor of The Pyramid ... designated for marginal guys who were considered "Borderline Hall of Famers," either because of the Rice Factor (great career, not long enough) or the Sutton Factor (very good for a long time, rarely great) ... anyone voted in simply because they reached a benchmark (400 homers, 300 wins, etc.) would be thrown in here ... you could even include players who broke significant individual records 

Level 2
Second floor of The Pyramid ... not quite as cluttered, not as much space ... reserved for guys who were definitely Hall of Famers, but didn't quite possess a Level 3 résumé for one or more of the following reasons:
  1. Their team never won a World Series.
  2. Something was missing from their career totals.
  3. They never enjoyed an outrageously good single season.
  4. Somebody else played their position during their time who was better.
  5. Their career was shortened by injury and/or rapidly declining skills.
Level 3
Reserved for the "No-Doubt-About-It" Hall of Famers ... these guys were undoubtedly the best at their position for years and years, with all the requisite "résumé" stats to match ... unfortunately, there's a distinct, crucial difference between Level 3 and Level 4 (explanation coming).

Level 4
These are basically "L3" guys, only there's something just inherently "greater" about them. Some possible indications:
  1. Do you have to consider them in any "best of all-time" discussions?
  2. Did they have transcendent games or memorable moments?
  3. Did they hit 500 homers, get 3,000 hits or win 300 games?
  4. Were they just dominant at times?
  5. Will you always remember watching them play, even when you're 80 years old and peeing on yourself?

Level 5
Take a deep breath. Level 5 is the top of the pyramid, literally and figuratively. You can rattle the L5 guys off the top of your head: .
Sixteen in all. That's it. That's Level 5. The best of the best. The Pantheon.

Someone go through and parallel the baseball references to basketball. 
pimp.gif

This is how it should be 
grin.gif

Stealing this from Bill Simmons (he applied it to baseball)
Level 1
Ground floor of The Pyramid ... designated for marginal guys who were considered "Borderline Hall of Famers," either because of the Rice Factor (great career, not long enough) or the Sutton Factor (very good for a long time, rarely great) ... anyone voted in simply because they reached a benchmark (400 homers, 300 wins, etc.) would be thrown in here ... you could even include players who broke significant individual records 

Level 2
Second floor of The Pyramid ... not quite as cluttered, not as much space ... reserved for guys who were definitely Hall of Famers, but didn't quite possess a Level 3 résumé for one or more of the following reasons:
  1. Their team never won a World Series.
  2. Something was missing from their career totals.
  3. They never enjoyed an outrageously good single season.
  4. Somebody else played their position during their time who was better.
  5. Their career was shortened by injury and/or rapidly declining skills.
Level 3
Reserved for the "No-Doubt-About-It" Hall of Famers ... these guys were undoubtedly the best at their position for years and years, with all the requisite "résumé" stats to match ... unfortunately, there's a distinct, crucial difference between Level 3 and Level 4 (explanation coming).

Level 4
These are basically "L3" guys, only there's something just inherently "greater" about them. Some possible indications:
  1. Do you have to consider them in any "best of all-time" discussions?
  2. Did they have transcendent games or memorable moments?
  3. Did they hit 500 homers, get 3,000 hits or win 300 games?
  4. Were they just dominant at times?
  5. Will you always remember watching them play, even when you're 80 years old and peeing on yourself?

Level 5
Take a deep breath. Level 5 is the top of the pyramid, literally and figuratively. You can rattle the L5 guys off the top of your head: .
Sixteen in all. That's it. That's Level 5. The best of the best. The Pantheon.

Someone go through and parallel the baseball references to basketball. 
pimp.gif

This is how it should be 
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom