LOCK. GO TO OFFSEASON THREAD.

Feb 27, 2013 - Stephen Curry's Night to Remember at the Garden!

Stephen Curry drops 54 points in the Golden State Warriors game against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden, msg, nba basketball gsw nyk

watching his highlights from the game its insane how his shot was falling straight in on so many shots. all you see/hear is swish.
nthat.gif

KLAY THOMPSON’S DAD IS TAKING HIS ALLOWANCE AWAY FOR GETTING IN A FIGHT

POSTED BY TREY KERBY UNDER GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS ON FEB 28, 2013

Outside of David West and Lance Stephenson, Tuesday night’s Warriors-Pacers fight was a skirmish between a bunch of the nicest guys in the league. Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Roy Hibbert going at it isn’t really “Gladiator,” you know?

I mean, Klay Thompson is such a sweetheart that on top of the $35,000 fine the NBA levied against him, his dad (former NBAer Mychal Thompson) is going to take his allowance away. From ESPN Radio, as transcribed by Believe the Hype:

This was the first time that Klay has ever been fined for an on court indiscretion in his NBA career and the consequences will be more noticeable to him than just the $35K fine. The 23-year-old doesn’t have access to his money, all cheques are paid to Mychal and Julie who take care of his accounts for him to make sure Klay’s financial situation is set up for his post NBA career. So, naturally, Papa Thompson’s going to teach Klay a lesson of his own by fining him personally also, however, Klay will find out the old fashioned way.

“He will [find out he's been fined by us] when he sees that cash envelope show up a little short this week,” he said.

A few things here:

Haha to all of this.

Parents still get mad when their kids get in fights, even when they’re adults.

Getting docked allowance probably won’t help Klay’s reputation as a guy who looks like Cory Matthews on “Boy Meets World.”

Klay Thompson’s parents control his bank account?

To that last question, the answer is yup.

So, if Mychal takes care of Klay’s finances, what does his week-by-week financial situation look like?

“Rent is $3K … Walking around money $300 a week…” Mychal explained. “That’s a lot of money to go to the movies and buy pizza…”

But what if Klay wanted to take a girl out on a nice date?

“Go to Langers in Oakland … Go to the grocery store and get a nice [bottle of wine] for $30…”

What about the corkage fee?

“Sit in the car and drink it.”

Seems like Mychal Thompson is a pretty good dad, except for maybe the part where he tells his son to sit in a car drinking a bottle of wine, which is almost definitely illegal. As a former player who’s been around the league for decades, he knows the struggles that young players often have with their money and he’s taking steps to prevent that from happening to his son. Plus, he seems to realize that if he takes Klay’s allowance away when he gets in fights, he can probably trick him in to not trying to fight guys who are 7-foot-2, weigh nearly 300 pounds and have gone through MMA training. This is just a dad looking out for his son and that’s pretty nice.

And, of course, it’s also hilarious because an NBA player is getting his allowance taken away. Let’s not forget that. TBS Very Funny, even if he’s just playing around.

“Go to Langers in Oakland … Go to the grocery store and get a nice [bottle of wine] for $30…”

roll.gif

Last edited:

KLAY THOMPSON’S DAD IS TAKING HIS ALLOWANCE AWAY FOR GETTING IN A FIGHT
POSTED BY TREY KERBY UNDER GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS ON FEB 28, 2013

Outside of David West and Lance Stephenson, Tuesday night’s Warriors-Pacers fight was a skirmish between a bunch of the nicest guys in the league. Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Roy Hibbert going at it isn’t really “Gladiator,” you know?
I mean, Klay Thompson is such a sweetheart that on top of the $35,000 fine the NBA levied against him, his dad (former NBAer Mychal Thompson) is going to take his allowance away. From ESPN Radio, as transcribed by Believe the Hype:
This was the first time that Klay has ever been fined for an on court indiscretion in his NBA career and the consequences will be more noticeable to him than just the $35K fine. The 23-year-old doesn’t have access to his money, all cheques are paid to Mychal and Julie who take care of his accounts for him to make sure Klay’s financial situation is set up for his post NBA career. So, naturally, Papa Thompson’s going to teach Klay a lesson of his own by fining him personally also, however, Klay will find out the old fashioned way.

“He will [find out he's been fined by us] when he sees that cash envelope show up a little short this week,” he said.

A few things here:
Haha to all of this.
Parents still get mad when their kids get in fights, even when they’re adults.
Getting docked allowance probably won’t help Klay’s reputation as a guy who looks like Cory Matthews on “Boy Meets World.”
Klay Thompson’s parents control his bank account?
To that last question, the answer is yup.
So, if Mychal takes care of Klay’s finances, what does his week-by-week financial situation look like?

“Rent is $3K … Walking around money $300 a week…” Mychal explained. “That’s a lot of money to go to the movies and buy pizza…”

Seems like Mychal Thompson is a pretty good dad, except for maybe the part where he tells his son to sit in a car drinking a bottle of wine, which is almost definitely illegal. As a former player who’s been around the league for decades, he knows the struggles that young players often have with their money and he’s taking steps to prevent that from happening to his son. Plus, he seems to realize that if he takes Klay’s allowance away when he gets in fights, he can probably trick him in to not trying to fight guys who are 7-foot-2, weigh nearly 300 pounds and have gone through MMA training. This is just a dad looking out for his son and that’s pretty nice.
And, of course, it’s also hilarious because an NBA player is getting his allowance taken away. Let’s not forget that. TBS Very Funny, even if he’s just playing around.

:rofl:

Hey, great move by his parents though.

His dad gives him 300$ week allowance :smh: Straight disrespectful.
Klay's making 2.2 milli this season, is a 23 year old man, and he pays rent to live with his parents?
WTF? If I was him I would've dipped the second that first NBA check came in.

It is, I agree with his parents. Theyre just trying to do whats best for him. Publicizing it however was a bad move. Its gonna take a lot for him to escape the slander.

It is, I agree with his parents. Theyre just trying to do whats best for him. Publicizing it however was a bad move. Its gonna take a lot for him to escape the slander.

How is it ok or moral for his parents to give their son (who's a 23 year old multi millionaire) 300 measly $ a week for pizza and going to the movies?!?!?!?!??!
This really made me angry when I read that info. Its his money to do what he wants with it. He can blow it or save it all. In the end of the day he is the one that made it to the NBA, he should be able to make decisions what to do with his money not his father.

How is it ok or moral for his parents to give their son (who's a 23 year old multi millionaire) 300 measly $ a week for pizza and going to the movies?!?!?!?!??!
This really made me angry when I read that info. Its his money to do what he wants with it. He can blow it or save it all. In the end of the day he is the one that made it to the NBA, he should be able to make decisions what to do with his money not his father.
Theyre just trying to make sure hes set up for post retirement and while $300 may not seem like a lot let be real how much money does Klay Thompson need a week. Hes been rich since the day he was born its not like he has real expenses., doesnt he drive a S550?  What does he really need money for that $1200 cant cover? Hes got no debt and no bills.

We can all think what we want, but he more than likely authorized this. Theres no way the money was getting to them without him Okaying it first. He could have easily said no. I see both the good and bad side of this and while if I was him I probably wouldnt have let this happen, I cant blame him or his parents for doing so. Who knows how long he will be in the league to begin with, things happen.

The foulest thing about this is if hes actually paying that 3K to stay in his parents house. Thats not saving him money and is contradictory to their philosophy.

yup.. now dude is going get clowned, when in reality it really is the best thing for him and his future..

people forget how young these guys are.. and they're just being handed millions.. they have no appreciation for the long term as yet.. and usually when that does kick in, it's already too late (check out the 30 for 30: 'broke')

these dudes don't have the normal career life span of the everyday joe.. these millions that they make over the course of their couple years in the league has to last them a lifetime.. unless they are lucky enough to get a tv gig or some sort of income post their playing career

IF it was me.. i would keep it simple.. go to a financial advisor, try to get the highest interest rates i could possible find with minimal risk (on a CD or IRA).. and live off the interest

Have you not seen some of the bonehead plays Klay has made this year? His parents are doing this kid a favor by managing his expenses.

The only thing I will say is that I hope they're actually teaching him how to be smart with money and not just dictating how it should be spent. I'd hate to see him not know what to do with his money once they're gone.

damn it's a good thing klay isn't a very high-profile player, if it was a big name guy, espn front page news, headlining every talk show, he'd never escape the clowning

I dont see a problem with his parents managing his finances at all. I think his parents taking away some of his weekly spending money for participation in the fight is a little silly. But his parents managing his money is fine. In fact, its smart.

I would let my parents handle my money.

My parents are looking out for me and wouldn't scam me or anything like that.

Plus I'm pretty sure they would give him any amount of money he really wanted.

Either way it's a smarter decision than blowin' it all ala antoine walker.

You've never let your moms handle some money in pokemon silver? It's worth it

Theyre just trying to make sure hes set up for post retirement and while $300 may not seem like a lot let be real how much money does Klay Thompson need a week. Hes been rich since the day he was born its not like he has real expenses., doesnt he drive a S550?  What does he really need money for that $1200 cant cover? Hes got no debt and no bills.

We can all think what we want, but he more than likely authorized this. Theres no way the money was getting to them without him Okaying it first. He could have easily said no. I see both the good and bad side of this and while if I was him I probably wouldnt have let this happen, I cant blame him or his parents for doing so. Who knows how long he will be in the league to begin with, things happen.

The foulest thing about this is if hes actually paying that 3K to stay in his parents house. Thats not saving him money and is contradictory to their philosophy.

If anything I feel like his parents are taking it, and just adding that to his savings.

Klay's father played in the NBA. I'm sure he knows former colleagues that have blown all their money.

Last edited:
It's basically the per diem they're fronting him, which makes sense....for during the season. I'm sure he gets to enjoy life more so during the offseason in terms of buying toys and such.

Damn, just read the Klay store... GROWN A** MAN... can't even touch his own money :rofl:

3K RENT... but parents are showing him how to handle money. Should read Mortgage. So his house can be paid off when he retires.

Back
Top Bottom