Lupe-Dumb It Down>>>>>>>

Originally Posted by Plan Beats

Over analyzing FTL.

roll.gif

And The Cool >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Food & Lix

Dumb it down was more of a gimmick to me as well. Lupe has way better material than "dumb it down". However, sometimes I feel lupe tries to hard tobe complex. I still enjoy it though

Dumb It Down is incredible. Just more proof on why Lupe is the greatest lyricist in the game, hands down.

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

dumb it down didnt go over my head.

I was following along clearly first time i heard it
We dont believe you, you need more people.

Check the avy
pimp.gif

Lupe is my favorite rapper at the time.
His concerts are always ones to remember.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

HipHopDoc09 wrote:

you obviously overlooked the fact he has a doctorate in hop hop
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Smedroc

Originally Posted by jthagreat

HipHopDoc09 wrote:

you obviously overlooked the fact he has a doctorate in hop hop
smh.gif

damn my bad. NT's Own Michael Eric Dyson.

I HATE this song for the same reason I don't like the album. Sure, it's witty, creative, and thought provoking. It's also pretty pointless as awhole. Whereas the point of Food & Liquor was that every thing has a good and a bad side -- a yin and a yang, which everybody can see and relate to atvarious points in life, the point of The Cool was to delve entirely too deep into the mind of Lupe Fiasco. Most of The Cool is sci-fiction, which is a prettycorny place to take the art of rap IMO. To me, good music takes what's in the artist's mind and brings it out to the world to witness and connect to.It takes the imagination of the artist and puts it on display for others to discuss, analyze, etd. The Cool (and Dumb it Down specifically) do the reverse ofthat process. You have to take a step towards Lupe to connect to this album, cuz it damn sure ain't reaching out to you. I don't feel like walkingthrough Lupe's head trying to figure out what's on his mind. You almost have to try to think like Lupe to like The Cool, but with F&L it's likeLupe was thinking like me; like most of us. And that is what artist's do IMO. So yeah, once again while I can appreciate the talent it takes tomake songs like Dumb it Down and albums like the Cool, I just don't vibe with it at all. What good is it to make a song that has to be read inorder to get it? I just wanna listen to my music and nod my head. I didn't ask for a homework assignment. Lupe pushed the envelope too far this time.

I guess what i should have said is:

"Hip-Hop songs needing a breakdown FTL"

Damn... you always have a way of saying what takes me a whole essay to explain. They prolly don't feel what we're on though
ohwell.gif
. Songs like Dumb it Downtypically impress dumb people. Smart people don't feel the need to "get" the latest "smart song" as much as dumb people do. It seemskinda... "dumb", really
grin.gif

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Damn... you always have a way of saying what takes me a whole essay to explain. They prolly don't feel what we're on though
ohwell.gif
. Songs like Dumb it Down typically impress dumb people. Smart people don't feel the need to "get" the latest "smart song" as much as dumb people do. It seems kinda... "dumb", really
grin.gif
Then don't break it down...it's the type of record you listen to over and over until and you always will catch something you never caughtthat'll make you.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

ohwell.gif
. Songs like Dumb it Down typically impress dumb people. Smart people don't feel the need to "get" the latest "smart song" as much as dumb people do. It seems kinda... "dumb", really
grin.gif
Then don't break it down...it's the type of record you listen to over and over until and you always will catch something you never caught that'll make you.
grin.gif
But what's the point? So he made some 12-layered pun about pirates and... I dunno... leprechauns or some %%+#. What's to get? What do yougain once you unravel that BS? I'll take "He Say She Say", it's overly simplistic pronoun swaps, and it's universal perspective over ALLof The Cool.

I've gotta thoroughly disagree, Rilla.

Lu is so ill because he can make these types of hip-hop riddles, so to speak, and yet they're still "listenable". He's great at layering hislyrics to cater to different audiences, just like any other great artist.

As far as the whole point of the song, he's just lyrically flexing, basically. I also kind of think it's his version of "I Am the Walrus"(i.e. letting people over-analyze and come up with their own meanings)

Aight, I'm down with riddles. I REALLY, REALLY like the dream in Sunshine because it's so.... real. And I've also been known to say Twilight Zoneis the most creative $+** I've ever heard (another Lupe "dream" song). But the other $+** he be on just pisses ya boy Young the +@** off sometimes
grin.gif
. I still got a lil something to say to that samurai if we ever meet. Like for real fam... that whole Daydreamin' $+** was wack to. It'scool to be "fantastic" but it better mean something. I hate pointless word wizardry. That's just as bad as people whotalk just to hear their own voice. If all you're doing is stroking your own pride by seeing how randomly deep you can spit, you SUCK. Period. I coulddo that all day and I wouldn't sell one CD because NO ONE would give a missionary +@** about what I was rambling about
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

ohwell.gif
grin.gif
Then don't break it down...it's the type of record you listen to over and over until and you always will catch something you never caught that'll make you.
grin.gif
But what's the point? So he made some 12-layered pun about pirates and... I dunno... leprechauns or some %%+#. What's to get? What do you gain once you unravel that BS? I'll take "He Say She Say", it's overly simplistic pronoun swaps, and it's universal perspective over ALL of The Cool.
Why does their have to be a point?

and overall The Cool is definitely about something. It's definitely not a complete departure from reality.

Back
Top Bottom