Manti Te'o's Girlfriend Never Existed

Well the dead/fake girl is tweeting...

L K ‏@LennayKay
It isn't fair to drag Reagan and Troy into this.. a lot of truths and myths need to be addressed here, and they will be at noon PST tomorrow

Like, man....how do you read this Southbend Tribune article and even believe a STITCH of what Notre Dame and this dude says!? This word is thrown around in S&T way too much....but he is the true representation of the word FRAUD. :lol: :lol: :smh: :smh:

SOUTH BEND -- It never felt like a chance meeting, although it probably appeared that way from the outside looking in.

Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes.

They could have just as easily brushed past each other and into separate sunsets. Te'o had plenty to preoccupy himself that November weekend in Palo Alto, Calif., back in 2009.

His Notre Dame football team hadn't won since Halloween, and a three-game losing streak, that included seismic home setbacks to Navy and Connecticut, was pushing Irish head coach Charlie Weis out the door after five seasons, albeit with a seven-figure financial settlement set to kick in.

Advertisement

Weis was the man who, in the recruiting process, promised Te'o's parents that he would take care of their son 4,400 miles away, that he would make sure he graduated and really nothing else, nothing that had anything to do with football anyway.

And once Te'o's 11th-hour shift away from USC and to Notre Dame took hold, Te'o's still-confusing leap of faith hinged upon every subsequent word that came from Weis.

The part that stung the most for the Laie, Hawaii, product was that there was nothing he could do in ND's upcoming clash with Stanford that could reverse the process. His only anchor was about to be set adrift.

There had been delusions by some observers, going into the '09 season, that the freshman linebacker would be so advanced, so transformational, so immune to growing pains and flat spots in the growth curve that he could help launch the Irish back into a cycle of national prominence.

Instead, it was a school with an even smaller recruiting pool and a less-decorated football tradition that prevailed, 45-38, in what turned out to be Weis' last game. That same school, Stanford, then proceeded to smack around the old stereotype of needing to compromise academic standards in order to climb up on college football's biggest postseason stages.

Te'o would start the game on the bench and finish it with a new career high in tackles, with 10.

This Saturday afternoon at Notre Dame Stadium, three years later and half a continent away, Stanford and the Irish meet again, this time with Notre Dame ascending and Te'o right in the middle of the uprising.

The Cardinal (4-1), ranked 17th, have won three straight in the series and have pushed around the Irish in the process. ND (5-0), which started the season unranked, has pushed itself into the cusp of the national title conversation.

For the first time this season and seventh time in Te'o's career, his parents, Brian and Ottilia, will be in the stands for the game -- along with the youngest of his five siblings, 6-year-old brother Manasseh.

"They're watching you and they're watching someone who they've given everything they have to live his dream," Te'o said earlier this week. "My dream is to help them in their dream, too. So, it's always exciting. It's going to be a special occasion to see them in the stands."

And Manti Te'o is convinced the beautiful stranger will be watching too Saturday, somehow.

Lennay Kekua was a Stanford student and Cardinal football fan when the two exchanged glances, handshakes and phone numbers that fateful weekend three seasons ago.

She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them.

The plan was for Kekua to spend extensive time with the whole Te'o family when upwards of 40 of them came to South Bend in mid-November for ND's Senior Day date with Wake Forest.

"They started out as just friends," Brian Te'o said. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.

"And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now."

About the time Kekua and Manti became a couple, she was injured in an auto accident. There were complications during her recovery. And it was also during her recovery that it was discovered Kekua had leukemia.

"That was just in June," Brian Te'o said. "I remember Manti telling me later she was going to have a bone marrow transplant and, sure enough, that's exactly what happened. From all I knew, she was doing really, really well."

Kekua, who eventually graduated from Stanford, was, in fact, doing so well that she was released from the hospital on Sept. 10. And Brian Te'o was among those congratulating her via telephone.

Less than 48 hours later, at 4 a.m. Hawaii time, Kekua sent a text to Brian and Ottilia, expressing her condolences over the passing of Ottilia's mom, Annette Santiago, just hours before.

Brian awakened three hours later, saw the text, and sent one back. There was no response. A couple of hours later, Manti called his parents, his heart in pieces.

Lennay Kekua had died.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nti-te&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

I haven't been following college football at all this past year but today's news about Manti Te'o's "fake dead girlfriend" is the most fascinating sports-related controversy in years. Lance Armstrong juicing pales in comparison. This can play out in two ways... In the first scenario, this story exposes Manti Te'o as a closeted athlete, forced into great lengths to hide his relationship with another man from friends, family, Notre Dame, and the public. This would be the better of the two. The second scenario would be that Manti Te'o is a terrible, terrible sociopath that conspired with a friend to fabricate a relationship (one that included a fairytale first meeting, a car crash, leukemia, and, ultimately, death) in order to generate positive press attention. Either way, this is crazy.

Championship game beat down, and now this? Do not leave this guy alone for a minute! This is right out of catfish on MTV. Coincidence?......... :nerd:

Clay Travis @ClayTravisBGID
Wow. RT @TheBigLead: Confirmed from 2 sources: ESPN has known about Manti Te'o story for 10 days.

The Worldwide Leader is complicit and its audience should seriously reconsider its first choice for sports news.

I kind of thought DC had grown out of this bizarro trolling he used to do... just because you don't completely support and understand why something is happening, doesn't make it some grand injustice or unfathomable event that only you are fighting against... 

You keep repeating "Why is it a BREAKING NEWS story on ESPN??!!?!?" A little red box at the bottom of the screen is the difference between this being ok and this being outrageous? On the 6 o'clock Sportscenter it wasn't even the lead story, I'm pretty sure they went to commercial and came back to it after the Chip Kelly stuff.  

This isn't news? Do you know what the definition of news is? I hate to break it to you, but this counts. The personal life of this player was a major part of his publicity. Him possibly lying and using her "death" to gain sympathy and attention is a news story. 

And it's ridiculous when you throw subtle shots are others masculinity because they happen to be discussing it. "I thought this was for the ladies" Give me a break man. We get it, you're the last bastion of masculinity and you're here to remind us when we're being too much like the ladies. Help us, DC, you're our only hope.

This isn't a breaking news story about him and his real girlfriend breaking up, or an unknown/random player coming out as gay, or even a notable player getting tricked in an online relationship.. it's a Heisman candidate who was the subject of national attention possibly manipulating the public to gain sympathy and boost his status. That's a news story. That isn't "Kris Humphries is dating Kim K" This kind of stuff doesn't happen, hence the attention and discussion it generates. If you don't get that and you continue to play dumb and say "Why are you "men" discussing this still, THIS ISNT NEWS" then you're just doing it for attention and to be contrarian. 

What if he comes out if he is gay???
Would he get drafted???
there would probably be a big **** storm if he wasn't, because he was gay.
laugh.gif
 it would be obvious that would be the reason why nobody drafted him either, since he's been projected to be a top 10 draft pick. 

If he was tricked into thinking he had a fake girlfriend, imagine how bad he'll get tricked by NFL offenses...

I don't see how it would be because he's gay though. If he was trying to cover up a relationship and it got to the point where everyone was asking where's your girlfriend we've never seen her. Why wouldn't he just say we broke up instead of those huge elaborate plan. More signs point to him gaining publicity IMO. Either way I know there's very important information we don't know yet and is being dug up as we speak. Especially what this other dudes story is. Very curious as to what's going to happen.

https://twitter.com/justinrmegahan

Interesting stuff this kid dug up. People who know the kid behind this apparently knew of it a month + ago. Just bizarre. They also infer that Manti was not in on it. That's really hard for me to believe but more interested to hear his side of the story now.

Son gets no booty. Ya man's was up late all night burning daytime minutes on a fairy tale of a lady :lol:

Loser of the Year award goes to...

Back
Top Bottom