Many Saints of Newark - Sopranos prequel

Not sure how I feel about Gandolfini's son. I mean, I totally get it and it's a cool homage, but I would hate for it to be a forced choice.

mafia genre needs this, as Boardwalk Empire exceeded any and all expectations. Another cool idea would be to cover Bugsy Siegel and the west coast operations or Dutch Schultz in Harlem

Boardwalk is in my top-3 favorite series' of all time.

i feel the exact opposite about boardwalk empire, i was disappointed overall. Would have preferred a show where they just focus on rothstein, lucky, et al. Didnt really care for most of the nucky parts of the show.

I actually just started re-watching Boardwalk starting with season 1. Definitely up there as far as series rankings go, but I do feel like it could have been condensed slightly.

Gyp Rosetti is a top 10 TV character for me.

The corruption content is actually a little sickening to watch with all that's going on in today's political arena.

Not sure how I feel about Gandolfini's son. I mean, I totally get it and it's a cool homage, but I would hate for it to be a forced choice.

Boardwalk is in my top-3 favorite series' of all time.
Never watched boardwalk

Sopranos was okay, but I wouldn't rank it at the top as I would a Breaking Bad, GoT, Friends, Seinfeld, Lost Season 1-4, Martin, etc. and other top TV series.

That one dream season and the ending for Sopranos brings it down notches for me. The ending being the biggest letdown.

I never watched Boardwalk Empire nor the The Wire, but I heard The Wire is up there with the GOAT's.

Will check it out someday along with Boardwalk.

Sopranos was okay, but I wouldn't rank it at the top as I would a Breaking Bad, GoT, Friends, Seinfeld, Lost Season 1-4, Martin, etc. and other top TV series.

That one dream season and the ending for Sopranos brings it down notches for me. The ending being the biggest letdown.

I never watched Boardwalk Empire nor the The Wire, but I heard The Wire is up there with the GOAT's.

Dream season? There were maybe 2-3 dream sequences in the entire series that only took up a portion of 1 episode.

I don't know how Martin, Friends and Seinfeld gets lumped in with the Sopranos :lol:

Just joking, right? >D

Dream season? There were maybe 2-3 dream sequences in the entire series that only took up a portion of 1 episode.

I don't know how Martin, Friends and Seinfeld gets lumped in with the Sopranos :lol:

I thought it was a whole season that they dragged that dream crap on. Wasn't a fan and it's been 20 years since it aired and I watched it live back then, but I could have sworn it the whole season. Won't rewatch either to find out if true or not.

Because many people consider those shows all as some of the best shows all time, but I'm in no way saying they are alike or anything like that. Just basing off of what many consider the top shows all time not defined by genre or subject matter or stuff like that.

Just joking, right? >D

No I'm not. Sopranos has no replay for me. Like I see cuts and other stuff on youtube and I never watch them nor care to anymore. Whereas I can watch GoT mixes and best scenes this and that, same with Breaking Bad and other shows I mentioned, but for some reason I never feel the need to watch Sopranos again. To me the show was forgettable.

dude put the sopranos in the same basket as whack *** friends? :rofl:

Yes I did... and... I am not comparing them or saying they are alike, I mentioned it because many consider Sopranos one of the best TV series, as they do with Friends, Seinfeld, GoT, BB, Wire, OZ and many others.

You may think Friends is wack, but the numbers it did was the highest out of everything mentioned. You may find it "whack" but millions others begs to differ.

Born in Newark, raised not far away and still frequent there, so I'll be watching this no doubt.

You can make the argument that Newark was never the same after those race riots.

Ray Liotta Returns To Mob Movie Fold With ‘Sopranos’ Prequel ‘The Many Saints Of Newark’

rexfeatures_5725356g-e1551303454326.jpg

Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock

https://deadline.com/2019/02/ray-li...ts-of-newark-new-line-warner-bros-1202566594/

EXCLUSIVE: Ray Liotta is negotiating to join the cast of The Many Saints Of Newark, The Sopranos prequel film that New Line will put into production by spring. He joins Alessandro Nivola, Vera Farmiga, Jon Bernthal, Billy Magnussen, Corey Stoll, and Michael Gandolfini, latter of whom will play the Tony Soprano role originated by his late father James Gandolfini. Alan Taylor is directing.

Scripted by The Sopranos creator David Chase and Lawrence Konner, the prequel is set in the era of the Newark riots in the ’60s, when African Americans and Italian Americans in the city were at each other’s throats. That clash became lethal when it spread to gangsters of each group. Liotta’s place in mob movie history is stamped by his portrayal of Henry Hill in the Martin Scorsese-directed Goodfellas. He also grew up in Newark in the ’60s, and has a personal connection to the story.

HBO

“I am thrilled to be working with David Chase and Alan Taylor on The Many Saints of Newark,” Liotta said. “David’s talent is unmatched and the directing of Alan Taylor makes this even more exciting. I respect them both immensely and look forward to making this special project with New Line.”

Liotta joining the film continues the tradition of Goodfellas cast members who appeared in the series — 27 in total including stars Lorraine Bracco, Michael Imperioli, Frank Vincent and Tony Sirico among them — but being set in The Many Saints of Newark puts Liotta in rarified territory, or at least a cool trivia question.

In Deadline’s 4-part look back for the 20th anniversary of the iconic HBO show, Joe Pantoliano recalled that when he was first offered the role of Ralph Cifaretto, HBO wasn’t going to pay his quote, and the deal didn’t work out. They cast a different actor, but when that didn’t work well, they changed their mind and Pantoliano said he was reconsidered. But only after a list of other Goodfellas actors were talked to, including Liotta. That is reminiscent of Robert De Niro and The Godfather. De Niro at one point was going to play Paulie Gatto, the driver of Don Corleone whose decision to call in sick the day the Don was gunned down by rivals, led his cold to be a fatal affliction. Because John Martino played that role, De Niro was able to play the much larger role of young Don Corleone in The Godfather Part II.

The filmmakers are keeping quiet on details for the project and the roles most actors are playing in The Many Saints of Newark, but it is known that some of the beloved characters from The Sopranos will appear in the film. The Sopranos ran six seasons and won 21 Primetime Emmys, five Golden Globes and Peabody Awards. Chase and Konner are producing The Many Saints of Newark and Chase Films’ Nicole Lambert is exec producing along with Marcus Viscidi.

Liotta most recently starred with Jennifer Lopez in the NBC drama Shades of Blue and will next be seen in Charlie Day’s directorial debut El Tonto opposite Jason Sudeikis, John Malkovich and Kate Beckinsale, and the untitled Noah Baumbach Netflix film, opposite Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver. Liotta is repped by Beth Holden-Garland at Untitled Entertainment and Gersh.

I’m guessing the “ dream season “ he is referring to was after Junior shot Tony and he was in that coma for like 2.5 episodes?

Back
Top Bottom