Many Saints of Newark - Sopranos prequel

Part 2 focus on Jr. Johnny boy and part 3 focus on tony could save face for chase on this….2nd watch….still think this should have been series…. I think it wasn’t because of effort, a series is way more work…..get paid pretty much same(chase) and get to create 2-4 movies over 7 years and make 2020s $…..$mart

I didn't even get the same nostalgia feel I got from watching Entourage's movie

After a while I had to bypass my expectations, because I was getting pissed we were an hour in and Tony was still a kid and just look at it as a "gangster" movie.

I guess even in death Christopher never knew that Junior had his father killed (hell, tony probably never knew either). Tony has always lied to Christopher about his father as a way to keep him in line. And it all culminated when Tony showed chris the cop and told him that was the man that killed Dickie. But I have to agree, the VO was kinda out of place.

Even still...it's Tony that killed Chrissy...hence his (afterlife) contempt for Tony :lol:

Chrissy never cared if it was the cop or not that killed his father. He even told him "even if you are telling the truth, my boss wants you dead".

I had this mixed up. Animal Blundetto IS the kid holding down the ice cream driver w/ Tony...but it's Artie who made the racist taunt @ Harold and the one driving the truck.
That is Jackie Aprile

Tony says his name when he is wrestling with the ice cream man on the door. Asking him if he could drive stick. Jackie answers no, then Artie says he can, and starts driving.
ManySaints.PNG

In the car ride Livia mentions she and Johnny Boy found out about it because Tony B. told Janice

I don't think we ever see Tony B. in the movie as far as I can remember

Last edited:
Just finished it up on HBO.

It was cool to see a lot of these characters in their time before the TV show. The casting for Silvio was absolutely brilliant. The head lean, the hunched walk, the scowl….WOW! Junior busting balls like always :lol:

Overall, I hate to say it but this was a pretty meh movie overall. I didn’t hate it but it wasn’t very good. It’s pretty uneventful in terms of the TV show and it is very minimal about Tony (which is what you’d be lead to believe). It started out strong for me but never picked up or even maintained. The biggest part that made no sense to me was some of the glaring differences from the story in the show:

*Spoiler alert (not really spoilers but details)*

Dickie was said to have been an addict in the TV show, definitely not the case here. Also in the show, Tony remembers that Dickie was killed because of a beef with Jilly Ruffalo, a man he was in prison with. Jilly murdered Dickie's cell mate and Dickie gouged out his eye in revenge. Definitely not the case in the movie

In all honesty the ending would’ve been great for the beginning of the movie we THOUGHT this would be about. So maybe it’s just part 1 of a 2-3 part set?

I thought that Sil impersonation was so bad and over the top. Paulie’s was fine but not great. You could tell who it was.

Just felt like a very boring movie that they tried to incorporate some flashbacks from the series (seeing the arrest at the fair, shooting the gun through Livia’s hair, Tony fighting in front of Carm, etc) and add some new stuff about Chris’ dad. They made a big deal about the riot and added that storyline but it didn’t add much to the story and could have been shorter. It felt like they wanted to have that in there so they can do another movie and focus on that later.

Even the poster saying “who made Tony Soprano” annoys me. He was barely focused on and the scenes they did show didn’t make me think they shaped him to become the boss he did.

Last edited:
I kinda disagree, I thought it was solid. Not elite, but very nuanced goodness.

Tony talkin to the principal. Shows his future with therapist.
The way they handled Jr bein the one, caught me way outta left on that, and over some dumb **** :smh:
The fact that the Soprano family ran everything, yet Jackie is the boss from the start of S1. Tony throwin out the speakers, I don't want this. His dad "what this"? :lol: :lol:
The bell in the restaurant. :nerd:
The portrayals of his mom, Jr, Paulie, Sil and of course young Tony, so well done by all.

My one regret, they didn't show the card game that made Tony and Jackie. But, maybe that's a sequel.

I thought they did a good job. The Easter Eggs, the prequel foreshadowing of who they'd all become, Carmella mention, Hesh, the restaurant guy, Jackie etc. 🤌

I kinda disagree, I thought it was solid. Not elite, but very nuanced goodness.

Tony talkin to the principal. Shows his future with therapist.
The way they handled Jr bein the one, caught me way outta left on that, and over some dumb **** :smh:
The fact that the Soprano family ran everything, yet Jackie is the boss from the start of S1. Tony throwin out the speakers, I don't want this. His dad "what this"? :lol: :lol:
The bell in the restaurant. :nerd:
The portrayals of his mom, Jr, Paulie, Sil and of course young Tony, so well done by all.

My one regret, they didn't show the card game that made Tony and Jackie. But, maybe that's a sequel.

I thought they did a good job. The Easter Eggs, the prequel foreshadowing of who they'd all become, Carmella mention, Hesh, the restaurant guy, Jackie etc. 🤌

No Soprano was boss until Tony. Johnny Boy was a capo. Ercole Dimeo was the boss…the old dude who was sitting down when they met at Big *****’s funeral. When the series starts…Jackie is only acting boss since Ercole is in prison.

I thought that Sil impersonation was so bad and over the top. Paulie’s was fine but not great. You could tell who it was.

It got in to looking like a parody at times. I didn't know how to take it. I didn't know if I should laugh or shake my head. It made it weird for me.

Didn’t like it and probably won’t watch it again. Could have just called it a mob movie. A few of the Sopranos references were cool but this was a disappointment.

Just watched last night. I expected more of Tony but I thought that it was a decent movie, felt like it should have been a limited series though as there was so much more that they could have went into.

Yes, a series would’ve been perfect. Take a few episodes to lead up to the riots then go from there.

Just when the movie was about to get good, movie ended.

The fact that the story wasn't based around Tony's upbringing was really dissapointing. Only thing that could save this would be a part 2.

I see alot of people thought Tony was going to be the focus in this. The way they marketed the film (especially in the last couple months) clearly showed that Dickie was the the main character in the film.

"Many Saints" = Moltisanti

bruh what? Watch this trailer and tell me they didn’t market it around Tony

Even the poster literally says nothing about Dickie :lol:

952730E9-0D94-4E82-9D54-E72E26B267ED.jpeg

Because people who knew that was before the movie :lol:

Let’s ignore the big font that takes up half the poster too

Back
Top Bottom