March Wrestling Thread/April Thread will be up on the second /WM Week

D123B8D0-04D6-4A99-9E9A-D939727E4350.jpeg

Better late than never...

Shout out to the homie from B-more for hooking the god up this Christmas. If you wanna come to DC on the 23rd, I got a pair of tickets to Smackdown Live with your name on them.

Jay White didn’t need this W

Let’s just wait for New Years Dash tonight to see where they’re gonna go

It will make it even sweeter when he gets it.

Simmer.

As wrestling fans, we have lost patience.

I trust this company to do the right thing. See where it goes before we bash

I said the same damn thing..People in here acting like it was now or never for Naito and if he didn't get the belt today then he'd never get it..

I said the same damn thing..People in here acting like it was now or never for Naito and if he didn't get the belt today then he'd never get it..

Who now, then? Omega has cooled, Tana has the IC, EVIL got beaten, Cody lost, Naito was the most hot, legitimate contender and that is gone.

Sure, when he wins it, all us LIJ heads will rejoice, but it won't be Korakuen, main event, WK. That was the prime time to put the stamp on this dude and say "yeah, Naito has exceeded any and all expectations set forth since his return, he beat the field at G1, he toppled Okada's toughest rival to date in Kenny, he overcame possible infighting in his own stable, and he beat the man who held the record for holding the IWGP Heavy title longest at the main event on the biggest stage we have, the right he earned."

I don't know what I am missing other than the "long con" excuse everyone keeps bringing up.

I feel like that's exactly what they did last night though..The build up, in my eyes, was about Naito gaining acceptance from the fans and finally getting that main event match at WK that was snatched from him a couple years ago..It wasn't about him winning the G1, getting the fans to love him, finally getting the main event spot, winning the belt, and being the new Ace of the company..That's just too much to expect from the match..Naito reached the goals that the story has thus far unfolded, and now with him coming so close he needs to "step it up a notch" to reach that next goal..Tranquilo will be just fine..The Okada match sets him up for an even bigger moment down the road..

Plus don't forget you got Mr A Brillion Star Match still sitting in the wings waiting to finally get that big W from Okada..And that win won't really mean **** unless it's for the belt..So NJPW has plenty of options going forward and has their top guys lined up perfect..

I'm dipping to WWE if I'm Kenny at this point. He's wrestled everybody, and he certainly isn't getting his hands on the Heavyweight title anytime soon.

It isn't the same as when Okada was chasing Tanahashi though. Okada already had 2 title reigns, one of which was a 391 day title reign so Okada losing didn't matter here. Naito's only had one title reign that lasted for all of 2 months and only defended it one time. It just made sense to do the switch here bc of what had happened several years back when Naito lost the main event due to the fan vote. This was the culmination and it should have concluded here with him finally getting the main event at Tokyo Dome and him winning the title from Okada.
Why does THIS have to be THEEE culmination?

Does his G1 victory 3 months ago not count for anything towards his ascension?

Why does THIS have to be THEEE culmination?

Does his G1 victory 3 months ago not count for anything towards his ascension?

In your opinion where would you do it? Dominion? Sakura Genesis? KOPW? The Dome show is their equivalent to Mania so it makes the MOST sense to ME.

Naito's 4 year long redemption story arc began and ended with losses to Okada it made sense to me to finally end the story here where it all began.

Naito can win it at any other show and i'll be honest it won't be the same for ME personally. This is your big show of the year and your biggest crowd of the year you have the hottest wrestler in the world right now and he has everyone eating out of the palm of his hand. This was the time to do it.

I feel like that's exactly what they did last night though..The build up, in my eyes, was about Naito gaining acceptance from the fans and finally getting that main event match at WK that was snatched from him a couple years ago..It wasn't about him winning the G1, getting the fans to love him, finally getting the main event spot, winning the belt, and being the new Ace of the company..That's just too much to expect from the match..Naito reached the goals that the story has thus far unfolded, and now with him coming so close he needs to "step it up a notch" to reach that next goal..Tranquilo will be just fine..The Okada match sets him up for an even bigger moment down the road..

Plus don't forget you got Mr A Brillion Star Match still sitting in the wings waiting to finally get that big W from Okada..And that win won't really mean **** unless it's for the belt..So NJPW has plenty of options going forward and has their top guys lined up perfect..

Dude was never gonna be the ace, I am fully aware and ok with that, him winning was gonna be the ultimate F U to Kidany and Gedo. Kidany would have to acknowledge all he does for his promotion, and Gedo would realize that the Rainmaker was fallible by someone other than who we deem his only rival, Kenny O.

It wasn't even about the belt for Naito, like you state, it was the main event, but the belt would have been the cherry on top. It was about showing everyone why he deserved to be in the discussion for the best of the company, if not the best, objectively speaking for stories sake. I do truly believe we might not have seen the belt tossing Naito of old due to him finally getting what he wanted and earning it the way he could have. But he would have definitely rubbed it in the powers that be's faces because they backed Okada so heavy handedly.

It is all that about him that has the japanese gravitating toward him. They want to be seen outside of the hive social construct they have to fit into every day. Naito is their release, their vent, and him toppling Okada was saying "I did this my way, took on everyone, you can do it too. Keep doing you because we are ungovernable." I dig the **** out of that because it's punk as hell.

Back
Top Bottom