Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

Do the people in here consider mass shootings a distinct issue separate from gun violence?

I ask because it seems that gun violence generally and mass shootings are being conflated.

As everyone knows, the vast majority of gun deaths are suicide. Mass shootings (what I thought was defined as a shooting resulting in the death of 4 or more people) represents a very very small number of overall gun deaths. And handguns are used for the vast majority of gun murders in the US.

Here’s some data:

It seems the thread is shifting from the narrow topic of mass shootings to gun violence generally.

To me it’s the same as conflating looting and protesting.

Mass shootings I think school shooting or terrorism.

Gun violence I think pretty much everything else from shooting someone you have beef with to some dumb guy accidentally shooting someone while hunting.

I never think of suicide as gun violence even if done with a gone. Suicide is its own category to me.

Mass shooting I think generally think of people going for random/available targets.

Like the shooter is simply trying to cause as much chaos and carnage as possible.

He might have some link to the place he targets, but ultimately he's trying to kill as many people as possible indiscriminately.

gun suicides and mass shootings are both addressed to some degree with tighter gun control measures.

so it doesn't really make a difference to me what definition people use for "gun violence."

from an epidemiological standpoint, it is important to distinguish them, of course. and from a public health/safety standpoint, it's worth emphasizing than gun control isn't just to reduce the relatively rare number of mass shootings but will also have an impact on the very frequent number of suicides.

edit: from the perspective of whether banning certain guns is going to be effective, it's a distraction. the point is comprehensive reform of how we deal with guns in this country, from the legal, cultural, and commercial angles. until we agree that some sort of reform is on the table, people will continue to nitpick flaws in any one minor form of gun control. it's either "too little to make a difference" so we don't do it or it's "too drastic to be acceptable" so we don't do it. bunch of self-defeatist %-#'%&.

Last edited:
gun suicides and mass shootings are both addressed to some degree with tighter gun control measures.

so it doesn't really make a difference to me what definition people use for "gun violence."

from an epidemiological standpoint, it is important to distinguish them, of course. and from a public health/safety standpoint, it's worth emphasizing than gun control isn't just to reduce the relatively rare number of mass shootings but will also have an impact on the very frequent number of suicides.

edit: from the perspective of whether banning certain guns is going to be effective, it's a distraction. the point is comprehensive reform of how we deal with guns in this country, from the legal, cultural, and commercial angles. until we agree that some sort of reform is on the table, people will continue to nitpick flaws in any one minor form of gun control. it's either "too little to make a difference" so we don't do it or it's "too drastic to be acceptable" so we don't do it. bunch of self-defeatist %-#'%&.
your statements are self-contradictory.

How do yall feel about annually Registering your firearm and annually paying fee's for it?(like a car)

Can we start somewhere....

Higher burdens as in fee's?

Are those same burdens currently disproportioned in vehicle registration fees?

Would like to hear your elaboration..
How would that help anything? If anything it creates problems. Further, would is going to control that system? They can’t even background check properly, it seems.

How do yall feel about annually Registering your firearm and annually paying fee's for it?(like a car)

i think the best place to start is getting access after they have access we lost the battle

i don't know statistics but im guessing most of these bozos buy the gun recently before the shooting not 5 years before

I think the auto comparison is on the right track, but would like to see people forced to go through gun safety and responsibility courses, to get licensed to buy firearms. Like drivers ed but with a legitimate mental health screening. Annual or biannual fees would help curb some peoples addictions, but don't think its as important a caveat to ownership.

But people should have to renew their license every X years with screenings too. Failure to renew means no more new guns or ammo.

Back
Top Bottom