Messed Up ot Not: Teaching Your Kids About Santa Clause (At All)

My kids don't believe. Glad they dont. I told them since a young age he don't exist. They 5 and they know Santa ain't real. Im real straight out with my kids though.
Never called them princesses or nothing like that cause it feels corny to me. They don't even like Disney princess type movies. Like that my kids are different like that.
They are happy little girls. Them not believing in fairy tales isn't killing they childhood.

Last edited:
I still want to know how not feeding into the Santa Lie is stripping your kids of an (entire) childhood

I still want to know how not feeding into the Santa Lie is stripping your kids of an (entire) childhood
it isn't.
I have no problem with people who want they kids to believe. To each they own man. What works for me, might not work for you. No need for calling people bitter or messed up because they don't think like you do.
Nobody getting hurt by believin or not believing in something so insignificant.

Nah, I love the spirit of Christmas. It will be dope celebrating with my kids. [emoji]128175[/emoji]

I'll let my kids be kids and do the Santa thing but I'm gonna spin the story. Christianity gets no play in my ride.

man some of yall dont want your kids to have any imagination at all.
View media item 1824423
religious part aside, ole saint nick is welcomed. its only a problem if my kid turns 34 and still believes santa claus will come down the chimney

So the only way to have an imagination is to believe in Satan......Santa?

I don't know if you are being serious or not right now, but I will humor you.

How can you accurately determine how much of an effect that "lie" has on a person?

That is why I am calling the "study" foolishness.

Gee thanks for humoring me :rolleyes

Emerging studies do suggest that parents’ lies may have a detrimental effect on a child’s behavior. A small MIT study on six- and seven-year-olds found that when an authority figure omits the truth, it may cause children to suspend their trust or be suspicious of anything else that authority figure says in the future. An experiment from the University of California, San Diego found that when children ages five to seven are lied to, they are also more likely to cheat and then lie in return.

http://news.mit.edu/2014/children-tell-when-teacher-commits-sins-omission-0610

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140319093802.htm

Do you realize how stupid that question is? :lol:

Are we talking about lying PERIOD or simply lying about Santa?
Lying to your children, and more specifically the elaborated Santa lie. This is a lie that goes on for years and is told to children by the people they trust the most, their parents. Psychologists who conducted these studies were focused specifically on how this lie would affect children.

I minored in Psych and these studies aren't as outlandish as you and a few other members are trying to paint them to be.

Man, the argument wasn't about lying. Of course we know lying has a negative effect on kids.

I specifically said how does lying about SANTA affect kids. I ssid if there is a study on JUST THST, thst is a stupid study

Last edited:
Man, the argument wasn't about lying. Of course we know lying has a negative effect on kids.

I specifically said how does lying about SANTA effect kids. I ssid if there is a study on JUST THST, thst is a stupid study
The Psychologist who conducted these studies answer it. Read some of the links if you really want your question answered. Better to read it directly from the person who wrote the studies than for us to paraphrase and possibly not answer what you're asking.

I don't know if you are being serious or not right now, but I will humor you.

How can you accurately determine how much of an effect that "lie" has on a person?

That is why I am calling the "study" foolishness.
What do you think psychology and behavioral psychology spends time on.

Forget the Santa part.

Studying the effects of certain lies or beliefs on ppl, children or adults is science. Not foolishness.

Saying the study of the effects of lying about Santa being real to kids is foolishness. Is no different than saying the study of the effects of lying about Jesus to kids is foolishness.

I specifically said how does lying about SANTA effect kids.
You really can't use common sense To figure out for yourself how lying to kids about Santa effect children?

You think magical thinking is healthy too?

Last edited:
Forget "Santa" when it comes around Christmas time. You should be able to teach your own children the value of a dollar and value of life.

I know when i have children, there aint gonna be no presents from "santa". Presents are straight from mom and pops.

Just my .02

Forget "Santa" when it comes around Christmas time. You should be able to teach your own children the value of a dollar and value of life.

I know when i have children, there aint gonna be no presents from "santa". Presents are straight from mom and pops.

Just my .02

Oh, the "when I have children" talk :lol:

No shots, but you'll understand when you have children.

None of you seem to understand my question

How is it possible to ISOLATE the effects that lying to your child about SANTA (only) to say how much THAT particular lie Influences how a person views the world and processes things.

Some of you seem to think I am saying that LYING to kid (in general) can't have its effects measured. Which iS NOT what I am implying here

Last edited:
Youre thinking too hard about this.

Santa...tooth fairy....the easter bunny.

Its all for fun. Little kids have wild imaginations.

When they are smart enough theyll realize it wasnt real but hopefully appreciate the fact that u did something to make their childhood that much more enjoyable.

If u as a parent dont want to "lie" well thats also acceptable

Last edited:

How is it possible to ISOLATE the effects that lying to your child about SANTA (only) to say how much THAT particular lie Influences how a person views the world and processes things.

Some of you seem to think I am saying that LYING to kid (in general) can't have its effects measured. Which iS NOT what I am implying here

Study psychology if you are interested in how. I couldnt give you the specifics but isolated events, trauma, ect... can have its effects measured years down the line by experts. I dont understand why this is such a foreign concept to you. You seem like a bright young man, research the how and why, im sure theres plenty of case study online on how they do it. An ongoing lie is no different than any other repeated event that can be analyzed and disected. Just because its something seemingly trivial like santa doesnt mean the same theories and techniques cant be applied.

Study psychology if you are interested in how. I couldnt give you the specifics but isolated events, trauma, ect... can have its effects measured years down the line by experts. I dont understand why this is such a foreign concept to you. You seem like a bright young man, research the how and why, im sure theres plenty of case study online on how they do it. An ongoing lie is no different than any other repeated event that can be analyzed and disected. Just because its something seemingly trivial like santa doesnt mean the same theories and techniques cant be applied.

Are there studies on the effects of the Easter Bunny?

Tooth Fairy?

Srs.

I wasn't a p**** *** kid so when I found out they werent real, I didn't care

Sure isolated events/trauma can be looked at in terms of how they can affect someone's lives but we are talking about something as miniscule as telling you kids about SANTA.

This isn't someone getting molested, the mother degrading their child in front of his 1st grade class. This is telling your kid about Santa.

But yall got it

The point has already been made that a lie is a lie. Doesnt matter what its about, the effects are the same. Those studies say that much in the abstract summary.

The point has already been made that a lie is a lie. Doesnt matter what its about, the effects are the same. Those studies say that much in the abstract summary.
so there's no differentiation? do you believe that you should NEVER lie to your own child? or allow them to believe ANY falsehood?
my 3-year old son likes to wear a fireman suit he got from his grandma. he grabs his toy fire truck and asks me if i know of any fires he can put out. what would you do in that situation?

Back
Top Bottom