Method Man, Ghostface & Raekwon On Waka Flocka. 2/24/10 Waka Flocka Responds (video on page 1)

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by KingofIlladelph

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

He purposely comes out and says he don't do lyrics.  That's like saying "I don't score touchdowns" in football.  It's kinda the point of the game.  And a lot of traditionalist view that as disrespecting the craft.

With that said...I respect both Wu's comments and Waka's response. 

thank God u dont rap.. that football analogy is TERRIBLE... alot of football players dont score touchdowns... mainly because they play defense...

and again this is music... the ultimate point is to entertain... not to be lyrical

a.  How do you know I don't rap?

b.  Can you win a game not scoring touchdowns?  Or not scoring at all?

c.  I understand music is to entertain.  But if a rappers job isn't to have lyrics, what is his job?  How is a rapper entertaining without words?

I thought a rappers job was to to entertain? That should be a rappers main focus. Make songs that entertain people. If you can do that with hot lyrics that's fine. If you can do it without hot lyrics that's fine. There's more to a hot song than just lyrics. That's a concept a lot of artists don't understand its why some are mixtape rappers their whole career. They can spit but can't make hot songs. Nelly was never a great rapper but he knew how to make a hot song. IT depends on the person though. Personally, I can tolerate garbage lyrics if the beat is hot because I drive a lot and when I drive i'm riding to music that's gonna make my speaker's OD. When i'm on a 45 mile drive to school i'm more likely to bump a Tear Da Club Up than I am Black Girl Lost. My point is, every song has its purpose. Every artist has its purpose.

I get what you're saying.  But as a rapper, it doesn't make sense to say "I don't got no lyrics".  It makes it sound like you don't give a +%@*.

He purposely comes out and says he don't do lyrics.  That's like saying "I don't score touchdowns" in football.  It's kinda the point of the game.  And a lot of traditionalist view that as disrespecting the craft.

thank God u dont rap.. that football analogy is TERRIBLE... alot of football players dont score touchdowns... mainly because they play defense...

and again this is music... the ultimate point is to entertain... not to be lyrical
795157ee32552dad6bc40b9c522699ebbe32e27.gif

a girl shaking her *%@ is entertaining...does that make it a art? no...waka can be entertaining, but its nuffin thats gonna be artistically acclaimed at all.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Y'all dudes will really accept anything that is fed to you...I really believe people liking this crap doesn't cause but is related to all the problems in the black community.

But aint you white tho?

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Y'all dudes will really accept anything that is fed to you...I really believe people liking this crap doesn't cause but is related to all the problems in the black community.

But aint you white tho?
Does that have anything to do with it...I enjoy Waka in the club, but when defending a dude as an artist when his main music is "Drug dealing music...I influence, I influence."  %$@% is straight glorification.  I'm ok with that, but when your not willing to see it as such, there inlies the problem. There is a reason that Hip-Hop started out with a messahe and has turned into this drivel.  They don't want y'all mutheruckers to be educated, they want to keep you guys right where you are Does Wu talk about the same type of stuff....Yes.  But it is written with deep metaphors and complex vocabulary.  They make refrences to literture and other things, they tell tales of stuff they actually did vividly.  I mean "Cream" tells the drug dealing life from both sides, I don't think I have ever heard a song that captured the rap game so perfectly.  They show the high's and low's.

Wake says, ""I read all the time. I know words."  I know words.  Strong statement.

As Brother Mouzone said, "The scaries thing is a N_ with a library card."  Keep defending crap as quality art when it is mindless BS.  I enjoy watching mindless movies and %$@%.  But is it great art? No.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

a girl shaking her *%@ is entertaining...does that make it a art? no...waka can be entertaining, but its nuffin thats gonna be artistically acclaimed at all.
yeah see but thats the thing tho...maybe in the 90s or 80s Time's comment would be flamed but nowadays he's right tho..at the end of the day the most entertaining artist is the one we see on Tv the most

But aint you white tho?
Does that have anything to do with it...I enjoy Waka in the club, but when defending a dude as an artist when his main music is "Drug dealing music...I influence, I influence."  %$@% is straight glorification.  I'm ok with that, but when your not willing to see it as such, there inlies the problem. There is a reason that Hip-Hop started out with a messahe and has turned into this drivel.  They don't want y'all mutheruckers to be educated, they want to keep you guys right where you are Does Wu talk about the same type of stuff....Yes.  But it is written with deep metaphors and complex vocabulary.  They make refrences to literture and other things, they tell tales of stuff they actually did vividly.  I mean "Cream" tells the drug dealing life from both sides, I don't think I have ever heard a song that captured the rap game so perfectly.  They show the high's and low's.

Wake says, ""I read all the time. I know words."  I know words.  Strong statement.

As Brother Mouzone said, "The scaries thing is a N_ with a library card."  Keep defending crap as quality art when it is mindless BS.  I enjoy watching mindless movies and %$@%.  But is it great art? No.

You wrote all that for nothing considering I some what agree with you on the good music vs. mindless music argument. I'm just saying how are you going to speak on the problems of the black community when you don't live in it nor take part in it?  You're acting like only black people listen to this music and acting like black people don't listen to Wu-tang and other "non-mindless" music.

c.  I understand music is to entertain.  But if a rappers job isn't to have lyrics, what is his job?  How is a rapper entertaining without words?

I thought a rappers job was to to entertain? That should be a rappers main focus. Make songs that entertain people. If you can do that with hot lyrics that's fine. If you can do it without hot lyrics that's fine. There's more to a hot song than just lyrics. That's a concept a lot of artists don't understand its why some are mixtape rappers their whole career. They can spit but can't make hot songs. Nelly was never a great rapper but he knew how to make a hot song. IT depends on the person though. Personally, I can tolerate garbage lyrics if the beat is hot because I drive a lot and when I drive i'm riding to music that's gonna make my speaker's OD. When i'm on a 45 mile drive to school i'm more likely to bump a Tear Da Club Up than I am Black Girl Lost. My point is, every song has its purpose. Every artist has its purpose.

I get what you're saying.  But as a rapper, it doesn't make sense to say "I don't got no lyrics".  It makes it sound like you don't give a +%@*.
I agree but I respect that he knows he's garbage. Some dudes won't say that because they believe it might effect their popularity. He came out and said he's garbage. And he is. Some artists don't have the capability to be a good lyricist. Its just not in them. Some football players were blessed to be able to run a 4.3. Some bball players were blessed to have a high vertical leap. Wacka wasn't blessed with any talent to write lyrics. Everybody can't be Nas. There's only one Nas. There's only one Flocka. We like to put blame on artists for like Wacka for the current state of rap but why? Wacka is doing him. WE the fans of hip hop are to blame. We got a dude like Wacka in the rap game. The fans run rap. Not some label head. Not some artist. We do. If Wacka Flocka got audience I say more power to him. Take all their money if they want to give it to you. I'll never knock a dude for his hustle especially when people are willing to give him their money they work for.

He purposely comes out and says he don't do lyrics.  That's likesaying "I don't score touchdowns" in football.  It's kinda the point ofthe game.  And a lot of traditionalist view that as disrespecting thecraft.

thankGod u dont rap.. that football analogy is TERRIBLE... alot of footballplayers dont score touchdowns... mainly because they play defense...

c.  Iunderstand music is to entertain.  But if a rappers job isn't to havelyrics, what is his job?  How is a rapper entertaining without words?

I thought a rappers job was to to entertain? That should be a rappers main focus. Make songs that entertain people.
indifferent.gif
This is why other genres laugh at rap. I think M16 was right Hip Hop isturning into pop. I'm not saying you have to be super lyrical, but aTRUE artist's job is to create art. The best art that can be made. Askany rapper who actually loves rap and doesn't just love the females,cars, and popularity that comes with it. I always defend Southern rapbecause at the end of the day it' good music and I appreciate more thanthese mixtapes dudes spitting about nothing but I swear their fans givetheir music a bad name.

Disclaimer: And I'm not saying everyrapper is an artist. Some rappers just have a niche to fill and theymake strictly "entertainment" music. But if you think all rapper's mainjob is to entertain then you're just disrespecting rap music.
Whocares what other genres think? Ever since when did we start careingabout what another genre thinks of us? If we did we would've quit longago. Hip Hop wasn't built on trying to appease other genres. Cats aretoo worried about how someone else is viewing them. Do YOU. That's someol' self hatred mindset you got going on there. And if it makes othergenres feel any better I laugh at them too. Especially at TaylorSwift's "country music".

But aint you white tho?

You wrote all that for nothing considering I some what agree with you on the good music vs. mindless music argument. I'm just saying how are you going to speak on the problems of the black community when you don't live in it nor take part in it?  You're acting like only black people listen to this music and acting like black people don't listen to Wu-tang and other "non-mindless" music.
So I have to be black to point flaws with a particular group.  I can't say what is wrong with China if I'm not Chinese?  I don't know what it is like to be black, nor do will I ever, but that doesn't mean that I don't understand problems within the community.

Did David Simon not create a essentially "Black" show that captured "Black life" better than anything ever before?  95% of Gucci/Waka listeners are black man, be real.  I have already said the history of black music is deep.  From afro-brazilian Samba to Blues of the Mississippi Delta, black people have prolly created the best music on this planet imo.  Of course, all black they don't just listen to just this.  But sorry, I expect poorly of a forum who dismisses any music that isn't  Hip-Hop or isn't "hot"

I agree but I respect that he knows he's garbage. Some dudes won't say that because they believe it might effect their popularity. He came out and said he's garbage. And he is. Some artists don't have the capability to be a good lyricist. Its just not in them. Some football players were blessed to be able to run a 4.3. Some bball players were blessed to have a high vertical leap. Wacka wasn't blessed with any talent to write lyrics. Everybody can't be Nas. There's only one Nas. There's only one Flocka. We like to put blame on artists for like Wacka for the current state of rap but why? Wacka is doing him. WE the fans of hip hop are to blame. We got a dude like Wacka in the rap game. The fans run rap. Not some label head. Not some artist. We do. If Wacka Flocka got audience I say more power to him. Take all their money if they want to give it to you. I'll never knock a dude for his hustle especially when people are willing to give him their money they work for.

He purposely comes out and says he don't do lyrics.  That's likesaying "I don't score touchdowns" in football.  It's kinda the point ofthe game.  And a lot of traditionalist view that as disrespecting thecraft.

thankGod u dont rap.. that football analogy is TERRIBLE... alot of footballplayers dont score touchdowns... mainly because they play defense...

c.  Iunderstand music is to entertain.  But if a rappers job isn't to havelyrics, what is his job?  How is a rapper entertaining without words?

I thought a rappers job was to to entertain? That should be a rappers main focus. Make songs that entertain people.
indifferent.gif
This is why other genres laugh at rap. I think M16 was right Hip Hop isturning into pop. I'm not saying you have to be super lyrical, but aTRUE artist's job is to create art. The best art that can be made. Askany rapper who actually loves rap and doesn't just love the females,cars, and popularity that comes with it. I always defend Southern rapbecause at the end of the day it' good music and I appreciate more thanthese mixtapes dudes spitting about nothing but I swear their fans givetheir music a bad name.

Disclaimer: And I'm not saying everyrapper is an artist. Some rappers just have a niche to fill and theymake strictly "entertainment" music. But if you think all rapper's mainjob is to entertain then you're just disrespecting rap music.
Whocares what other genres think? Ever since when did we start careingabout what another genre thinks of us? If we did we would've quit longago. Hip Hop wasn't built on trying to appease other genres. Cats aretoo worried about how someone else is viewing them. Do YOU. That's someol' self hatred mindset you got going on there. And if it makes othergenres feel any better I laugh at them too. Especially at TaylorSwift's "country music".

Dude, at least the cats defending dudes have made some decent points, but you have proved that you literally know nothing. What set rap apart from other stuff was that it  was socially-concious and had a message...The first rap song of any actual meaning really was  literally "The Message." You really need to research your hip-hop history dude.

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

yeah see but thats the thing tho...maybe in the 90s or 80s Time's comment would be flamed but nowadays he's right tho..at the end of the day the most entertaining artist is the one we see on Tv the most
   looks whats wrong with your comment..people would sacrifice their craft just to appeal to whats "poppin" on television...Wu-tang already got a heavy fan base, they don't have to

make things to "appeal" to da kids, its either take em or leave em, because they comfortable $$$ wise...Nas said it best "!*++ ya young #!%##!*, i don't need ya i'll go gold with it"

there's a certain line of integrity you have to maintain as a artist to remain viable years later...da min you doing things in hiphop just to chase a check and mangling your craft for

a dollar is da min your good as done. now is that da culture's fault or da media's fault? people gotta eat and that's fine, but don't compare masterpiece makers like Raekown to someone

who knowingly admits that he don't care about da integrity of his art because he's too busy chasing a check.

only thing time is right about is da fact that he settles for that garbage.

purist are da ones that keep rap alive..not da casual person who wants to see ++%!$ chuck and jive....

indifferent.gif
This is why other genres laugh at rap. I think M16 was right Hip Hop is turning into pop. I'm not saying you have to be super lyrical, but a TRUE artist's job is to create art. The best art that can be made. Ask any rapper who actually loves rap and doesn't just love the females, cars, and popularity that comes with it. I always defend Southern rap because at the end of the day it' good music and I appreciate more than these mixtapes dudes spitting about nothing but I swear their fans give their music a bad name.

Disclaimer: And I'm not saying every rapper is an artist. Some rappers just have a niche to fill and they make strictly "entertainment" music. But if you think all rapper's main job is to entertain then you're just disrespecting rap music.
But a rappers one job, if nothing else IS to entertain.  Lyrics are important because they're entertaining.

But aint you white tho?

So I have to be black to point flaws with a particular group.  I can't say what is wrong with China if I'm not Chinese?  I don't know what it is like to be black, nor do will I ever, but that doesn't mean that I don't understand problems within the community.
Homie you think liking Waka Flocka and similar artists is related to all problems in the black community. With all due respect do you know +#*$#!+ idiotic you sound?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

indifferent.gif
This is why other genres laugh at rap. I think M16 was right Hip Hop is turning into pop. I'm not saying you have to be super lyrical, but a TRUE artist's job is to create art. The best art that can be made. Ask any rapper who actually loves rap and doesn't just love the females, cars, and popularity that comes with it. I always defend Southern rap because at the end of the day it' good music and I appreciate more than these mixtapes dudes spitting about nothing but I swear their fans give their music a bad name.

Disclaimer: And I'm not saying every rapper is an artist. Some rappers just have a niche to fill and they make strictly "entertainment" music. But if you think all rapper's main job is to entertain then you're just disrespecting rap music.
But a rappers one job, if nothing else IS to entertain.  Lyrics are important because they're entertaining.
I guess this is where we differ in opinion. I look at music as art. Of course it CAN be entertaining as it should be to keep the audience's attention. But I dont believe EVERY rapper should makes music to entertain. This is why I dont have a problem with Flocka. He's a rapper who just raps to make club music and car riding music. He knows his niche and his lane. EA sports know their lane theyre making Sports games they're not out trying to make the next Resident Evil. But when people say things like "I thought a rappers job was to to entertain? That should be a rappers main focus. Make songs that entertain people. " then that subtracts the whole art element of hip hop. And I can't get down with that there's nothing you can convince me of otherwise.

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

Originally Posted by tune205

whoever thinks Raekwon don't got longer bread then Waka flocka just touring off 36 chamber C.R.E.A.M. strength is delusional...

Dude you just dont know Waka;s money is longer than Raekwon's. I dont even want to go into it
waka got more money than Rae? son ya parents is siblings or something?

do you know who his mom is?

I feel what you're saying. I guess I'm looking at it differently. The way I see it, all art is to certain extent is made to entertain, to be appealing.

But aint you white tho?

Homie you think liking Waka Flocka and similar artists is related to all problems in the black community. With all due respect do you know +#*$#!+ idiotic you sound?
You are misunderstanding how I use related dude...I'm not saying kids are literally going to start selling drugs cause of Waka. But it does reinforce the sentiment without a doubt.  For poor black kids, who come from economically deprived communities, some of them don't knowledge or education to push what these dudes say tot he side.  IF you go to already one of the worst high schools in your urban center, it is easy to be persuaded in a sense by this #+$%?  Biggie said "You either sling clack rock or have a wicked jumpshots." For too many black kids in America, there are only 3 avenue's of success, drugs, sports or music.  Does Waka in the grand scheme of things really make a difference? No, but he is certainly isn't influencing anyone for the better, or helping anyone besides himself.

my mission is to really give waka flocka a good listen this weekend, cause clearly im out of touch, 20 pages of waka vs Wu-tang in
the relevancy department
smh.gif
"this cant be life"

Originally Posted by tune205

whoever thinks Raekwon don't got longer bread then Waka flocka just touring off 36 chamber C.R.E.A.M. strength is delusional...

Dude you just dont know Waka;s money is longer than Raekwon's. I dont even want to go into it
You don't know what EITHER artist's finances are... hush

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

Originally Posted by All Ready

Off topic but the main reason cats in houston started chasing deals was because Lil Flip

As lame as yall think he is now, he had every rapper in houston jealous

They were already calling him the freestyle king then he went to be the first rapper this generation to get a major deal outta houston

boys was mad and had to look as rich as he did
when was this.  Paul and cham turned down plenty of deals before they dropped.  Mike Jones, Ro, Slim, Trae?  Which artist were chasing deals.  The majors werent coming with the right numbers, so they told them no.  As far as houston money>fame.  They been about the money way before being on tv/fame.   

That's exactly my point, labels were offering more but the popular houston artists still had no reason to go major

Overall, most of them just wanted more fame after they saw how Flip was getting recognized

None of them saw a point in signing until Flip started to get burn on 106 and all that

He made it look fun so they followed suit

And to Ninjahood, if your comment about money was towards me you had to misread what I said

I said our lame rappers make more than the north's lame rappers, I wasn't implying waka made more than rae because he doesn't

The south is really just schooling the entire industry as how to make money quick and easy...yall know how hard it is to turn down quick and easy money?

Think of that question then you'll understand why the whole industry is following the south's marketing plan

In a thread like this, we truly get a chance to seperate the boys from the men with some of the comments that have been displayed.  Some comments have been enlightening and others have just been asinine.
NEWSFLASH...people aren't hating on him cuz he's from the south, they're hating on him because they think he's terrible. 

100%  Truth.

I thought a rappers job was to to entertain? That should be a rappers main focus.

This thought process right here is probably the main downfall in regards to hip hop music as it stands today.  I can't stand when people put the word "entertain" and "hip hop music" in the same sentence, it truly does an injustice to the artfrom.  If you want to be "entertained" go to a comedy show. 

Back
Top Bottom