MLB Trade Deadline thread - Everybody to LAD; Contreras to COL; Kazmir to ANA; Wagner to BOS.

i've searched every Reds blog i know of...can't find anything about an offer. maybe he just inquired about DeRosa...but, i swear i heard that therewas an offer.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

i've searched every Reds blog i know of...can't find anything about an offer. maybe he just inquired about DeRosa...but, i swear i heard that there was an offer.

Heard the offer was Josh Roenicke and another player but Roenicke being the main piece.

That's what George Grande said today during the game. He said he was talking to Shapiro before the game and he said it came down to the Reds and Cards.Then he said a name that he mentioned when talking to him was Josh Roenicke.

Anyways Walt is going to be on Lance McAllister's show tomorrow so maybe he will elaborate on it.

The Dodgers like Cliff Lee. They have discussed him internally. But their chances of meeting the Indians' price for the ace left-hander are slim, according to major-league sources.

The only way the Indians will trade Lee, sources say, is if they are offered a potential top-of-the-rotation starter at the level of the Braves' Tommy Hanson or Red Sox's Clay Buchholz.
Such a pitcher would be the centerpiece of the Indians' multiplayer demand. And unless ownership orders a reduction in payroll, the Indians will not going to budge.

Sup, Chad Billingsley?
laugh.gif

The St. Louis Cardinals acquired infielder Mark DeRosa from the Cleveland Indians, an infielder the Reds could have used.

And it wasn't because general manager Walt Jocketty didn't try. An Indians official said the Reds came in second in the DeRosa Sweepstakes and that the Tribe liked pitcher Chris Perez, the player the Cardinals offered.

Still nothing specific, but assuming that there were a good amount of teams who made offers, this tells me the Reds put up a pretty good package.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...finally-act-on-slumping-stars/article1200104/
Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail gets the sense that the Jays are ready to move Vernon Wells and/or Alex Rios for just about anything to free up enough money to keep Roy Halladay after next year.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

The St. Louis Cardinals acquired infielder Mark DeRosa from the Cleveland Indians, an infielder the Reds could have used.

And it wasn't because general manager Walt Jocketty didn't try. An Indians official said the Reds came in second in the DeRosa Sweepstakes and that the Tribe liked pitcher Chris Perez, the player the Cardinals offered.
Still nothing specific, but assuming that there were a good amount of teams who made offers, this tells me the Reds put up a pretty good package.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...finally-act-on-slumping-stars/article1200104/
Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail gets the sense that the Jays are ready to move Vernon Wells and/or Alex Rios for just about anything to free up enough money to keep Roy Halladay after next year.

The chance of us moving Vernon are 0%, nobody will take that contract.

We need to get a left handed bat if we plan on making a run, Nick Johnson?
nerd.gif

Chris Perez begins his Indians career by hitting Alexei Ramirez in the ear hole and Jermaine Dye in the hand.

sounds like a positive

Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer believes the Reds need to make a "bold" move to stay in contention, but doesn't think it willnecessarily happen.

"The Reds chances of trading for Matt Holliday are slim and none," Daugherty begins, "and slim just left for the church festival. ... Hollidaywould cost the Reds precious prospects and some $7 million in salary for the rest of the year. The chances of him remaining a Red next year wouldn't begood. ... There aren't a lot of reasons even to contemplate it."

Except one: "It's a bold move. Without boldness, the Reds will never catch the Cubs, Cards and Brewers."

Walt Jocketty, the current GM in Cincinnati, has made bold moves throughout his front-office career (click here for his full trading history), but he'sused to a bigger payroll than the Reds can offer. Even if they are "buyers" in this market, Holliday is probably a bit of a stretch. That doesn'tmean it's time to give up on the '09 season, however. There are plenty of fish in the hot stove sea. It's clear the Reds want a bat -- who, besidesHolliday, makes sense?

Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com has heard that the Indians are in no hurry to deal Cliff Lee and would have to be "completely overwhelmed" by an offerto make it work.

This report is on board with the many rumblings SI.com's Jon Heyman has gathered, and the reasons behind Cleveland's stubbornness make complete sense.Lee has an affordable $9MM option for 2010 and is currently the glue that holds the Indians' rotation together. Without his presence, Cleveland would havesome serious rotation question marks in 2010 and beyond.
"I know this much: If Lee is traded this year, that would be a tough sell to the fan base," Castrovince concludes.

The 30-year-old lefty is 4-6 this season with a 2.96 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 79/26 K/BB ratio.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/yankees-acquire-eric-hinske.html[/h1]
[h1]Yankees Acquire Eric Hinske[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 30 at 10:38am CST]

Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Yankees acquired Eric Hinske from the Pirates for two minor leaguers, Casey Erickson and Eric Fryer. Joel Sherman of the New York Post says the Yankees are getting $400k in the deal, which is about half of what's still owed to Hinske. Sherman also offers eight reasons the Yankees made the deal.

Erickson, 24 in August, has 37 strikeouts and a 2.25 ERA in 44 innings of A ball this year. Fryer, who will turn 24 two days before Erickson does, has an OPS under .700 and 11 steals as a catcher and outfielder in A ball.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/pirates-nats-close-to-swapping-morgan-milledge.html[/h1]
[h1]Pirates, Nats Agree To Multi-Player Trade[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 30, 2009 at 1:40pm CST]

1:40pm: Kovacevic says the teams have agreed in principle to exchange Lastings Milledge and Joel Hanrahan for Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett.

1:39pm: Chico Harlan of the Washington Post and MLB.com's Bill Ladson agree that the Nats and Pirates are close to completing a deal.

1:35pm: The deal isn't complete, but Kovacevic has an update. It would also send Sean Burnett to Washington and Joel Hanrahan to Pittsburgh.

12:05pm: The Pirates already made one deal this morning, but that's not stopping them from talking trades. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates are close to dealing Nyjer Morgan to the Nationals for Lastings Milledge. However, nothing is final yet.

it's a DAMN SHAME that the Nats gave up on Milledge.
tired.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

we got Nyjer Morgan, so it's all good.
alien.gif

i wish Lastings the best of luck in Pittsburgh, i think he's going to finally "figure it out" there. Milledge + McCutchen =
pimp.gif

I hate horizontal trades like that.

The Pirates' lineup is hilarious. Not one player has 40 RBI yet. Nate McLouth has the second most home runs, and he's been gone for a month. 6 of their8 lineup regulars have 3 or less home runs.

It's fine to predicate your team on speed, but you need to have one really, really good power hitter if the other seven guys aren't power hitters.

All of the trades are listed at the bottom of the original post, by the way.

I hate horizontal trades like that.

The Pirates' lineup is hilarious. Not one player has 40 RBI yet. Nate McLouth has the second most home runs, and he's been gone for a month. 6 of their 8 lineup regulars have 3 or less home runs.

It's fine to predicate your team on speed, but you need to have one really, really good power hitter if the other seven guys aren't power hitters.

All of the trades are listed at the bottom of the original post, by the way.
are you pumped about the possibilities of Milledge + McCutchen? i am and so should Pirates fans. those two will tear it up.
pimp.gif

last year, Milledge hit .268, 14 HR, 61 RBI, and had 24 SB in his first full season in the majors. pretty solid i'd say. this year has been a nightmare forMilledge, but it's all behind him now.

like i said, it's a DAMN SHAME that the Nats gave up on him.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom