MLB Trade Deadline thread - Everybody to LAD; Contreras to COL; Kazmir to ANA; Wagner to BOS.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/aroldis-chapman-defects.html[/h1]
[h1]Aroldis Chapman Defects[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [July 2 at 12:13am CST]

Aroldis Chapman is a 21 year-old lefty who's touched 100 mph with his fastball. Interested? According to CubaenCuentro.com, Chapman defected from the Cuban national team while the club was stationed in the Netherlands (English version here). Chapman is currently in an undisclosed location, and he told the paper he plans to sign with a Major League club.

Chapman pitched in the WBC against Japan in March, and R.J. Anderson of FanGraphs provided analysis. A video clip of a different WBC appearance can be seen here.

I wonder how much he'll command.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

funny...i used to at least respect JRain for his loyalty.
yeah man.....he used to "claim" he was an Expos fan as well. At least that goes hand-in-hand w. being a current Nats fan.

smh.gif
It's one thing to follow a player, but to totally have a "new" favorite team??? I dunno bout that....

Fangraphs also posted an article saying Nyjer Morgan and Adam Dunn were exactly the same player, Dunn's defense is so bad he it destroys the value of hisbat making him only worth about 2 wins a year.

Can somebody explain to me why Milton Bradley and Adam Dunn are still in the national league?
roll.gif

The Indians acquired Winston Abreu from the Rays for minor league righty John Meloan and cash, according to an Indians press release.
roll.gif

Meloan was part of the Casey Blake return, and was once considered the Dodgers' potential closer of the future. He's a power arm and just turned 25.Abreu is 32 and terrible. And we gave cash.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Can somebody explain to me why Milton Bradley and Adam Dunn are still in the national league?
roll.gif
laugh.gif
Because there are still idiot GMs in major leaguebaseball...

Milton couldn't stay healthy last year in Texas as a DH 90% of the time... I don't know why he, or the Cubs, thought returning to the outfield was agood idea...

Nothing major:
http://twitter.com/FollowThePadres/status/2490063415
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, the Padres have traded Scott Hairston to the A's for two minor league pitchers and a PTBNL.

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com says the new Padres pitchers are RHP Ryan Webb and high-A RHP Craig Italiano.

The Royals acquired utilityman Ryan Freel and cash from the Cubs for a player to be named later, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws
According to Jesse Temple at MLB.com, the White Sox have acquired RHP Tony Pena from the Diamondbacks for 1B prospect Brandon Allen.
Pena for Allen is a nice, low-key move for both teams.

Call me crazy, but if you're the Mariners should you not try and see if you can muster something up for Halladay?

Considering they have enough to offer...Give them Morrow, Fields..Anyone really. But, if you think about it, you can do one of two things after this is done.You can trade Halladay along with Bedard, Lopez, and whomever at the end of the year and start your rebuilding process after you make a legit run at thedivision and if it comes to it...The World Series.

Or, solidify your rotation for 4 to 5 years by re-upping Halladay and Bedard along side Hernandez, biding the time to rebuild the offense. Even if theycan't score runs, that staff is good enough to compete for awhile until the offense gets shored up. And when it does you got a for sure contender (barringinjuries and other occurences).

Far fetched, but if I'm what's his face (M's GM) I would seriously be thinking about it. They could instantly become very dangerous if they getHalladay and at least a decent bat for that lineup. Might as well right?

The Mariners really shouldn't gut their system for another pitcher... Really, I don't know that they've got enough anyways... Most of their topguys are kinda far off... Halman was their best prospect according to BA, and he's struggling mightily... Saunders is hitting well at AAA, but you gottawonder if the Jays have any use for more outfielders... Triunfel looks like a stud, and they DO want a shortstop...

Gotta wonder how much value Morrow has on the market, given he's gone public about not wanting to leave the bullpen and hasn't pitched well at all thisyear...

AT LEAST, you're probably looking at Saunders, Triunfel, Aumont, and Fields... But I don't know that package gets it done, and it's really notworth it if you're Seattle... If they do anything, they need a damn bat...

Perrotto reports that the Pirates could deal Sanchez by this weekend. The Rockies are frontrunners, and appear to be willing to part with 2007 first rounder Casey Weathers. Apparently Carlos Gonzalez's name has been mentioned in talks as well. The Twins and Giants still have interest in Sanchez.

If we lose hallday for The Philidelphia Phillies poo poo platter of prospects I certain I will convulse violently.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

Phils are rumored to have signed Pedro Martinez
laugh.gif
smh.gif

We want Doc!

It's worth the try my man. If he still has good movement on his fastball he still can be an effective pitcher. He's got the smarts and the experienceto help out the Phillies down the stretch as well.

I would be thrilled about signing Pedro. I wanted the Indians to go after him for the two months we were actually somewhat in contention.

We'll see
ohwell.gif

If we lose hallday for The Philidelphia Phillies poo poo platter of prospects I certain I will convulse violently.
tired.gif

Donald, Marson, Savery, and Carrascco are pretty good prospects.

If you want to get officials on the Phillies to smirk and laugh agitatedly, ask them where Pedro Martinez's locker will be located in the clubhouse. That one is a knee slapper. Another good one is when Jimmy Rollins strolls by and asks about the latest twists and turns on the rumor mill.

Gotta sec, Jimmy? This one is a doozy.

According to a report in Candela Deportiva from the Dominican Republic, three-time Cy Young Award winner Pedro Martinez has agreed to a $4 million deal with the Phillies. This report comes despite the fact that general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. denied that the team and Martinez had come to terms.

"He has not been signed," Amaro said. "We've seen him pitch. He's not in town."

But when asked if the Phillies and Martinez had reached an agreement, Amaro was down right elusive.

"No comment," the GM said.

The Associated Press is reporting from the Dominican Republic that the Phillies liked what they saw from Tuesday's simulated game and are negotiating a deal with Martinez.

How about that for a rumor?

"The Phillies saw me this past Tuesday in a simulated game and I felt very good with my fastball and all my pitches," Martinez told the AP.

Martinez, 37, worked out for Phillies special assistant Charlie Kerfeld last Tuesday for three innings against the Phillies' Dominican summer league team with reports indicating that his fastball reached 93 mph. According to reports, Martinez will work out again for the Phillies in the Dominican on Friday at 1 p.m.

"I feel the best I have for some time," Martinez told the AP.

That's not saying much.

Always prone to injury, even in his best years, Martinez is way past his prime. Last season for the Mets, Pedro went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA and allowed 19 home runs in 20 starts - clearly the worst season of his big league career and the third season in a row where he missed a significant portion of the season because of injuries.

After going 15-8 with a 2.82 ERA in 2005, Martinez went 17-15 with a 4.74 ERA in 48 starts in three combined seasons. When his contract ended after the Mets choked away another September, they just let him walk away - and so did everyone else for that matter.

The reports from scouts that saw him work out in the Dominican Republic over the past few months have been mixed. He also was reported to be asking for a $4 million deal, which would be prorated at this juncture of the season.

Of course the Phillies have been linked to several pitchers, including Blue Jays' ace Roy Halladay, but in a market so competitive the team might be asked to give up more than it would like in order to make a trade for a pitcher.

Martinez would cost the Phillies nothing aside from a salary.

"We are trying to do what we can to add to our club, and if we feel at the end of the day Pedro is going to help us than we'll make a run at him," Amaro said when asked about a potential deal with Martinez Wednesday.

Thursday Amaro either denied there was a deal or offered a no comment on questions about a possible deal.

Manager Charlie Manuel, who has known Martinez since he was a kid coming up through the Dodgers' system, did not sound too excited about signing the future Hall of Famer on Wednesday, either. If Martinez precludes the Phillies getting his coveted "horse" for the rotation, Manuel doesn't want him.

"When I talk about wanting a starter I'm talking about a top-of-the-rotation guy," Manuel said. "I'm talking about a No. 1 or a 2. You know, a guy who can go seven or eight innings. It's the type of guy who when he goes out there has a good chance to shut somebody out. We're talking high echelon pitchers.

"I think a five-inning pitcher, you can find them anywhere."

Nevertheless, reports indicate that Martinez will decide if and where he will pitch this season on Sunday and the pitcher's agent Fernando Cuza has confirmed a mutual interest between the Phillies and his client.

Whether or not the deal makes sense or not is best left for debate. Either way, at least one Phillies starter is excited about the prospect of Martinez joining the Phillies.

"He's had some of the most phenomenal years and is one of the most talented pitchers," Cole Hamels said. "I grew up watching him and I'm amazed at how good he is. He could help us all out. He's a guy could help just with his knowledge. He's been around, too. He's played for the Mets - maybe he could give us some insight there."

from csn philly

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

We'll see
ohwell.gif

tired.gif

Donald, Marson, Savery, and Carrascco are pretty good prospects.

They're probably going to want Happ and Brabak as a part of any deal with Philly.

"That Phillies package is all quantity over quality, and what does that get you - 4th place in he AL East? You're talking about a SS who would bebelow Scutaro replacement (Donald), a catching prospect who isn't as good as the one already in the system (Marson), an outfielder a long ways off (Brown),a pretty good young arm coming off TJ surgery already (Drabek), and a guy who hasn't been able to make the leap to Philly yet (Carrasco), who is maybe a2/3 guy. @$@* that package"

Sorry Drabek. That's what I was wondering...why do they keep bringing up his name in trade talks after the TJ surgery...I don't think the Jays would goafter him (maybe I should stop listening to ESPN again lol).

Originally Posted by bobby1109

Sorry Drabek. That's what I was wondering...why do they keep bringing up his name in trade talks after the TJ surgery...I don't think the Jays would go after him (maybe I should stop listening to ESPN again lol).
Supposedly his mechanics AND his stuff have improved drastically since having the surgery...

Tommy John ain't a career-ender anymore like it used to be... If you catch the problems and have the surgery early enough, most surgeons have gotten itdown pretty well...

The torn labrums and shoulder surgeries are more worrisome now than Tommy John...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by bobby1109

Sorry Drabek. That's what I was wondering...why do they keep bringing up his name in trade talks after the TJ surgery...I don't think the Jays would go after him (maybe I should stop listening to ESPN again lol).
Supposedly his mechanics AND his stuff have improved drastically since having the surgery...

Tommy John ain't a career-ender anymore like it used to be... If you catch the problems and have the surgery early enough, most surgeons have gotten it down pretty well...

The torn labrums and shoulder surgeries are more worrisome now than Tommy John...
Thanks. Hadn't seen kept too much of a track on him since after the surgery but that's good to know. Hopefully Brackman can recover aswell too.

i hope the angels do something with gary mathews jr. i like him and he deserves to play somewhere

Back
Top Bottom