Moments That Made You Realize You’re Washed

Blue tooth earpiece too?
even got pops a few sets... :lol:
ya man...
20220421_192732.jpg

Naw its the norm, my doc even told me no need unless there are issues.
Not dental related but during my search for a new primary doc I had one tell me I only need a general checkup once every 5 years. And that I’d know better than he would when something is wrong. Nice guy but needless to say I found a new doc. Annual checkups are always what I heard and from a business perspective why would you discourage more frequent visits?

Not dental related but during my search for a new primary doc I had one tell me I only need a general checkup once every 5 years. And that I’d know better than he would when something is wrong. Nice guy but needless to say I found a new doc. Annual checkups are always what I heard and from a business perspective why would you discourage more frequent visits?

Because some people feel that acting ethically and in the patients best interest is more important than bilking you for a visit every few months?

My dentist says every few years is fine for me - zero fillings, brush twice daily, floss occasionally…

Edit: US medicine is interesting. In some ways it’s the best money can buy - but it’s also built on income for the system being reliant on doing more procedures. More isn’t better. It isn’t more thorough - its just more expensive. You want to do the right tests at the right time to tell you something - not just perform a battery and see what it throws up.

Everyone doesn’t need their wisdom teeth removed. People don’t need an annual physical at 25. Women don’t need their “hoohah” examined annually (that’s what a Texan I knew asked my mom about when she moved here).

There’s a time for routine checkups and definitely targeted screening - but it’s not as frequent as your system has programmed you to think.

That’s part of the reason that US healthcare costs significantly more than anywhere else.

Because some people feel that acting ethically and in the patients best interest is more important than bilking you for a visit every few months?

My dentist says every few years is fine for me - zero fillings, brush twice daily, floss occasionally…
you're a dentist too right?

you're a dentist too right?

No, I’m an eye doctor.

Similar though in that the more frequently I see people the more they pay me.

However, if you think about it what I want to see is people who need to be seen - partly because that’s morally right, and partly because treating them is better income. Seeing a healthy person for a routine exam doesn’t generate much profit.

The similar situation to what we’re discussing here is young people who don’t need glasses - those people need their prescription updated every few years but if you haven’t got glasses at 20yo it’s pretty unlikely you’ll need them. Obviously you’re also an adult so can come back and tell me if you can’t see - unlike kids who may not know. There’s no long term issue with that either other than blurry vision - again unlike kids where you need to detect some stuff early for effective treatment.

The incidence of ASYMPTOMATIC eye disease is so low in that population that it’s hardly worth looking - so I just say come in if you have any problems or I’ll remind you in 4 years for a checkup.

Once you get to 40 it’s 2 years because things get more common - and for some with risk factors it will be 1 year.

That then leaves me more time to deal with people who need my help.

my daughter used to always say everything was blurry then I'd take her in and they'd say she was fine.

then she'd do it again and I'd take her in and it's fine.

then she just quit talking about it and is fine. I can't imagine going to the eye doctor just to see if you can see. :lol:

Edit: US medicine is interesting. In some ways it’s the best money can buy - but it’s also built on income for the system being reliant on doing more procedures. More isn’t better. It isn’t more thorough - its just more expensive. You want to do the right tests at the right time to tell you something - not just perform a battery and see what it throws up.

Everyone doesn’t need their wisdom teeth removed. People don’t need an annual physical at 25. Women don’t need their “hoohah” examined annually (that’s what a Texan I knew asked my mom about when she moved here).

There’s a time for routine checkups and definitely targeted screening - but it’s not as frequent as your system has programmed you to think.

That’s part of the reason that US healthcare costs significantly more than anywhere else.
PAAAREACH!

I didnt go to the doc for a couple years, had some some stuff going on, still didnt go and ended up being cancer.

Been to doc visits/hospitals more times in the past 9 months than someone will ever go in their lifetime x2.

Go for the yearly checkup. Its once a year. ONCE. You can spare a couple of hours ONCE a year. And if not fine, but if something doesnt feel right, also go. You really never know.

Damn bro, I didn’t know you had cancer.

That’s tough sorry to hear man. I know the treatments are no joke.

I didnt go to the doc for a couple years, had some some stuff going on, still didnt go and ended up being cancer.

Been to doc visits/hospitals more times in the past 9 months than someone will ever go in their lifetime x2.

Go for the yearly checkup. Its once a year. ONCE. You can spare a couple of hours ONCE a year. And if not fine, but if something doesnt feel right, also go. You really never know.

I’m sorry to hear about that - but you had “stuff going on” - that’s why you should have gone. What was a physical going to find? Were they going to examine you from head to toe checking every organ just in case? They’d have been lucky to find something that they didn’t know to look for because you reported symptoms.

That sort of scan just finds things we don’t need to know about too - like aneurysms. There’s a significant portion of people who have one but most go on to live normal lives - knowing you have it or performing risky surgery doesn’t help those people, in fact it hurts them.

I’m sorry to hear about that - but you had “stuff going on” - that’s why you should have gone. What was a physical going to find? Were they going to examine you from head to toe checking every organ just in case? They’d have been lucky to find something that they didn’t know to look for because you reported symptoms.

That sort of scan just finds things we don’t need to know about too - like aneurysms. There’s a significant portion of people who have one but most go on to live normal lives - knowing you have it or performing risky surgery doesn’t help those people, in fact it hurts them.

A routine blood test woudve found my wbc’s to be abnormally high.

A routine blood test woudve found my wbc’s to be abnormally high.

I’m not trying to be insensitive - but it may have found it - by coincidence if you happened to go at the right time. But it may just have given you false assurance until the next time.

A blood test when you went and said “doc, I don’t feel good” would also have found it.

It’s also much more efficient - how many young people do you think you’d have to test before finding the unlucky one? What’s the sensitivity and specificity of those tests - ie how many would you tell were okay who weren’t or vice-versa.

In your case a blood test may have been the right test - but for a lot of problems it wouldn’t show anything. You can’t test everyone for everything every year just in case.

I’m not trying to be insensitive - but it may have found it - by coincidence if you happened to go at the right time. But it may just have given you false assurance until the next time.

A blood test when you went and said “doc, I don’t feel good” would also have found it.

It’s also much more efficient - how many young people do you think you’d have to test before finding the unlucky one? What’s the sensitivity and specificity of those tests - ie how many would you tell were okay who weren’t or vice-versa.

In your case a blood test may have been the right test - but for a lot of problems it wouldn’t show anything. You can’t test everyone for everything every year just in case.

No insensitivity taken bruv. And yeah I meant when I was feeling off at first, shoudve gone to the doc and they probably woudve done more tests as to why my wbc was so high. Normal range is 4.8-8.8 and mine was I think 24 or 27? So def something was up.

Blood tests arent the tell all be all test but for an easy test to do once a year its worth it for your health IMO. Its not like its a complicated test, doesnt take forever to do etc and its once a year. It really isnt that inconvenient.

I still have to do more treatment but also have to do a pet scan every 3 months and thats a 2 hour in and out and even I dont think thats too convenient as its every 3 months.

But also relative to what you getting done, my boy has to get his bladder checked every 3 months, involves putting a camera up his beat stick. Now THAT is too much every 3 months. :lol:

I might be getting a colonoscopy soon - but relatively speaking that’s a much bigger entrance…

The actual procedure seems like it’s whatever. At least you get dominated in your sleep.

It’s the prep leading up to it.

Back
Top Bottom