More important to the nike brand: jordan or tinker?

if you ask the average person who Jordan is, they know.

if you ask the average person who tinker is......

Tinker, Jordan did alot the Jordan brand but Nike would be here with or without Jordan. Tinker's design work keeps the brand innovative and unique.

tinker, as good as jordan was if he wore some tacky reeboks or adidas, or if his early signature shoes didn't look hot, i doubt the air jordan line becomes anywhere near what it became regardless of Mikes accomplishments.

tinker doesnt just have jordan. he basically built nike. cross training, other top bball shoes, ACG line, running shoes, tennis line etc..

without tinker, where is jordan?
without jordan, where is tinker?

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Tinker, Jordan did alot the Jordan brand but Nike would be here with or without Jordan. Tinker's design work keeps the brand innovative and unique.

I gotta go with both,but maybe slight edge to Jordan. He did come up with the ideas and concepts for the shoes. His on court actions also were a MAJOR key in the marketing and reason for the shoes selling so well. If you you notice the years he wasnt playing were the years his shoes didnt sell as well.

And i mean look at the crap/junk they come out with now. True they sell, but that is simply just off the strength of the Jordan name. But if there wasnt a Jordan trust the last few yrs 5 or so of shoes the Jordan Brand has produced they would sell like crap. I meaan look at it now j's arent selling out in one day or so like they use to, matter of fact alot of times you can catch them on sell.

Well if we're SPECIFICALLY talking about Nike brand then the answer is Tinker.If you're talking about Jordan's sig line then neither one played a bigger role than the other.Yes Tinker was the architect,but it took a lot more than an ill design and groundbreaking tech to cement this legacy.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

Well if we're SPECIFICALLY talking about Nike brand then the answer is Tinker.If you're talking about Jordan's sig line then neither one played a bigger role than the other.Yes Tinker was the architect,but it took a lot more than an ill design and groundbreaking tech to cement this legacy.

True but nike was nothing as a brand until Jordans came out. I mean you can look at the history of the sales. I think the Jordans introduce the public to nike, then it was tinker with the designs etc of other shoes. Another interesting fact ppl dont know. It was in that slam magazine about 10 yrs ago that showed the designs and every nike shoe ever made. That Jordans were the first multicolor tennis shoe in history. And that was jordan idea. Not saying shoes with colors wouldnt have eventually came out, but still.

PS. Anyone by chance have that Slam mag. I seemed to have lost my copy, and it seems as if SLAM Ed dont post on NT anymore.

You should post this in the Jordan forum. I imagine you'll get some interesting point of views in there.

Originally Posted by LDJ

True but nike was nothing as a brand until Jordans came out. I mean you can look at the history of the sales. I think the Jordans introduce the public to nike, then it was tinker with the designs etc of other shoes. Another interesting fact ppl dont know. It was in that slam magazine about 10 yrs ago that showed the designs and every nike shoe ever made. That Jordans were the first multicolor tennis shoe in history. And that was jordan idea. Not saying shoes with colors wouldnt have eventually came out, but still.

PS. Anyone by chance have that Slam mag. I seemed to have lost my copy, and it seems as if SLAM Ed dont post on NT anymore.
this helps noone right now but there was a thread in the NIKE area with that entire issue scanned out. It was here:
http://niketalk.com/topic/33195
Titled: Who else would like SLAM to retro the first KICKS issue (1998)?

Mods, any chance ya'll can bring that thread back? or is it lost forever?

Both as a team. Without Jordan there would be no Tinker, but without Tinker there's no classic shoes.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Originally Posted by LDJ

this helps noone right now but there was a thread in the NIKE area with that entire issue scanned out. It was here:
http://niketalk.com/topic/33195
Titled: Who else would like SLAM to retro the first KICKS issue (1998)?

Mods, any chance ya'll can bring that thread back? or is it lost forever?

That and the AJ/Nike Encyclopedia. If only SLAM Ed or even Jersey Joe would post but esp Ed. If the hnic of slam mag doesnt have it or can get a copy of some sort then all is lost.

if you ask the average person who Jordan is, they know.

if you ask the average person who tinker is......

wieden+kennedy created nike/jordan's image and "personality" as a brand.  advertising is the reason why most consumers even purchase anything in the first place.

i say wieden+kennedy > hatfield+jordan

You should post this in the Jordan forum. I imagine you'll get some interesting point of views in there.
haha yeah.  i didnt kno WHAT forum to post this in honestly. nike or jordan. so i jus put it in here lol

Back
Top Bottom