Mortal Kombat (2021) Out Now.

i enjoyed it for the most part.

-Kano was the heart and soul of the movie. None of the other characters had any personality whatsoever

-For some reason I thought Raiden was straight trash

-Surprised they killed off Goro and Sub-Zero. They’re both pretty big characters (Sub-Zero more so of course). Makes me wonder who will be on the evil side in the next flick?

-Build up to Johnny Cage was good. If it’s Ryan Reynolds I flat out won’t see the sequel

-Sonya and Mileena can both get it at the same damn time

-Cole was trash. Is he supposed to really be the main character and not Liu?

-Swear I thought someone in the theater said “womp womp” and not Kano :lol:

They probably killed off Sub because Joe Taslim was the only known actor there and was above everyone else.

I thought the movie was great for what it was. As long as you take off your movie critic hat and enjoy the fatalities, you will like it.

the plot and acting were secondary to the fatalities. The movie did really feel more like a proof of concept.

Intro to start was cool, Cole's intro didnt bother me but it wasn't particularly engaging. The fight with Jax was dope.

So far Sub Zero the most badass.

Kano :rofl: Props to the writers for making him such a character.

Liu Kang in this is a bit too subservient. He is drinking all the kool-aid.

:lol: @ Liu Kang spamming sweeping kick like a noob cheesing the same attack in the game.

I don't get why they made Cole the main character and such a focus. Build him up with the greatest ninja being his dad but he's just a weak ***** family man who gives up and it's clear he's gonna come back and unlock his powers but none of that is really better than if you made Liu Kang the main character.

Also his power was kinda lame. Lame looking at least. Basically gave him a knockoff of Black Panther's suit but gold. The tonfa out of thin air was nice though. They have him beat Goro?

:smh: @ Dad use your uppercut

Got kinda whack there when Tsung invaded until Kung Lao's flawless victory :pimp:

Jax with the cyborg arms :lol: Guess all this **** was just magic.

:stoneface: @ just watching Kung Lao die and doing nothing. Dude is dying and you just watching in awe as his soul gets sucked out.

This whole have Cole lead them and come up with a plan was ****ing whack. Funny how Tsung and his fighters just let these guys dictate who fights who and where and when. The writing really went to **** in the 3rd act. Only saved by cool fatalities.

Don't know how good a sequel will be without Kano :smh: Maybe Jonny Cage saves it.

All this propping up of this Cole dude and he aint even a dope ninja. Meanwhile, as his last fight you let my boy Liu fight Kabal? KABAL!? I am disappoint. Then you don't even actually kill Cole's family? They should've died being frozen like that.

:rofl: @ Sonya immediately getting her power.

Scorpion came too late to save this movie. Should've centered this on him not his weak *** son. Copy the animated movie a bit, nobody would be mad.

:lol: @ Sub-zero just stop using his ice abilities in order for them to win.

Don't know if Edenia realm was already conquered in this reboot but if not some representatives from there and netherrealm should've been involved.

All in all it was okay. Cole was pretty whack but the fatalities, Kano, and Scorpion were the bright spots

4/8

Last edited:
solid movie. felt like a b movie. they fixed the "get over here", it was problematic in the trailer.

i think the plot was pretty simple, but I didn't expect much from it. u don't feel much connection to the characters tbh and the dialogue had a splash of corny to it. i wonder if it was on purpose.

the production and visual effects were the best part of the movie. the fights were pretty well done and weren't gory for the sake of being gory (so the fights would be pointless or irrelevant to plot).

it could've been a lot better tho.

when they went from regroup > deciding to take out outworlds crew one at a time > fighting, that sequence felt rushed.

they nailed scorpion and subzero.

no OG theme is blasphemous. WAR CRIME. the final fight was the ultimate missed shot to use that song. buuuut also idk where scorpion came from in that fight. feel like he coulda pulled up on sz any day of the week.

jax def smashed sonya

looking forward to sequel.

Shang Tsung never referenced reptile as "Reptile" don't be surprised if the human version makes an appearance in future films.

Movie gets better the more you watch. Just watched it with shorty and she enjoyed it (she loved Kano)

If you look at the film as a prequel which it is it is way more enjoyable
He called him the name that reptile actually goes by

I may have totally checked out at this part, but why did they jump off the plane and walked the rest of the way to raiden’s temple? Did they not know where it was exactly?

I may have totally checked out at this part, but why did they jump off the plane and walked the rest of the way to raiden’s temple? Did they not know where it was exactly?

Yeah I think Kano was full of sh*t which is why Sonya gave him a look after Liu Kang showed them where it was

I thought it was ok 🤷‍♂️

It was about what I expected. I didn't expect it to be that good from the trailer.

Some things I noticed 2nd watch:

When Jax introduced himself to Cole after Cole lost his mma fight, Jax says "Cole Young, the man that took the belt from Eddie Tobias." (Ed Boon/John Tobias)

In MK1, Reptile was a lizard before Liu Kang threw it into one of those statues and it turned into Reptile the ninja.

After Kano kills the reptilian lizard by pulling its heart out, he says "Kano wins". :lol:

Katana's fan makes an appearance. :lol:

1619305599784.png

Cole Young's character should've been replaced by Liu Kang's brother Chan from MK1 so it could've gave Liu Kang some more substance

Last edited:
I know it’s been said at nauseam but the addition of a non existent mk character just takes so much away. Everything goes out the window when you do stuff like that. Like just name Liu Kang Liu Williams at that point cuz it doesn’t matter. I wonder what boon and Tobias think about this?

Back
Top Bottom