Most Innovative Nike Technology?

I just find it really interesting how Nike comes up with all these innovations like lunar foam, zoom air, foamposite technology, and etc.

Though it's not the coolest by any means I'd have to go with zoom air.

foamposite, inner sock-liner/bootie, zoom air, and that updated flywire a.k.a. "flywire 2.0" a.k.a "skinwire" they use on the kobe V.

what i also like is how the most recent nike bball shoes have that (correct the term if i have it wrong) articulated outsole at the heel. been noticing nike started implementing that design since the hyperdunk. now you can find them on the zk4, zk5, huarache 2010, and plenty of other nike bball shoes.

all i need to post is this when it comes to new technology...

28urc6q.jpg

pimp.gif

IMO "Air" is the most innovative. They came up with it almost 30 years ago and its still being used to this day.

Air cushioning has helped them a lot, especially Zoom for guards, and the Max for bigger players.

For me though Foamposite is the best technology. The whole concept of a one piece shoe is great and thinking outside the box. And to actually get a composite mixture to produce what they did with all the foams (well 1,2,3, TD Maxes and ultras as the other are garbage to me) is very innovative. Sure it's a heavier shoe, but honestly, no hightop feels as good once you get a few wears into it. Ultraposites are still the GOAT for me. However, the new Kobes are pretty amazing as their lack of weight has definitely made me feel like I'm lighter and seem to move slightly quicker. They need to start building more shoes with minimized cushioning and lower to the ground feel like the Kobe Vs.

I would say Foamposite. Like Kris Aman says, it was an engineering marvel and was on the level of rocket science with the amount of complexity it took to make it happen.

See for me, I never got the performance innovation of Foamposite.

I mean its cool that you can technically use a shoes for a really long period of time in all sorts of conditions but Foamposite is really heavy.I think there's a reason you dont see many NBA  players wearing them and you dont see too many new Foamposite models coming out.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

I mean its cool that you can technically use a shoes for a really long period of time in all sorts of conditions but Foamposite is really heavy.I think there's a reason you dont see many NBA  players wearing them and you dont see too many new Foamposite models coming out.

Flightposites and Foam Lites aren't heavy

Originally Posted by Magic1978

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Flightposites and Foam Lites aren't heavy

I guess youre right about that... some Foams arent heavy. But I dont know Foamposite is nice but its not a gamechanger. If it was would see it alot products especially in cleats but I only know of 2 cleats that tried to incoroprate any type of Foamposite technology.

Great post!

I'd love for a Nike rep to come in here and spill some knowledge. I know we're missing stuff and some explanations of the stuff we do know would be nice.

I like the zoom air, and "skinwire" used on the Kobe V.

Zoom air by far nike implements and utilizes Zoom Air in every shoe genre to provided lightweight, durable, responsive, and low profile cushioning.
Nike uses it in their high end shoes like the Vomero, Jordan 2010, Zoom Force 1, and the Kobe V's to name a few.
So from Running to Snowboarding Zoom Air is used and delivers always.

The Air Zoom unit starts with two fabric layers connected by thousands of vertical fibers, each attached at both ends to a fabric layer. These fibers are then surrounded with pressurized gas inside a Nike Air unit. While the pressurized air exerts and outward force, like a full balloon, the fibers are placed in tension and exert an opposing inward force to keep the air bag from popping or bulging. On impact, the air bag compresses to relieve the tension on the fibers. After impact, the pressurize gas expands the air bag and places tension on those fibers. The fibers compress on impact and then spring back immediately. The advantage to the Air Zoom is that it is incredibly thin and light, but it provides excellent impact cushioning while allowing the wearer to feel the surface he or she is on.

Being literal AIR would be the most innovative. Going from no cushioning to AIR is the biggest jump in shoe technology. Zoom, Lunar etc are upgrades and/or modified AIR.

Air obviously has to be the Lead, as it started off everything else AIR related...

However is Foamposite a Technology? If so it's a Fabrication Technology, as it's not regarded as a Performance Technology.

I had that discussion with Designers on both sides of that fence and everyone asked... What does it really do for your performance on court.

Shox.

the amount of testing and development that went into developing Shox was crazy.

there was a timeline on Nike's site back when the first Shox were released. according to their timeline, Nike was working on Shox (or a form of it) before they released air cushioning.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Air obviously has to be the Lead, as it started off everything else AIR related...

However is Foamposite a Technology? If so it's a Fabrication Technology, as it's not regarded as a Performance Technology.

I had that discussion with Designers on both sides of that fence and everyone asked... What does it really do for your performance on court.

Foamposite would be nice technology if they used it on Football and Baseball cleats. I could see the benefits in those products.

foamposite may not be regarded as a performance technology but is more durable than other materials typically used in basketball shoes.
and it's still pretty innovative nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom