Most Innovative Nike Technology?

Originally Posted by osubass1

Shox.

the amount of testing and development that went into developing Shox was crazy.

there was a timeline on Nike's site back when the first Shox were released. according to their timeline, Nike was working on Shox (or a form of it) before they released air cushioning.

But Shox as a technology has pretty much flopped. Since its first incarnation with BB4 the Basketball line has SERIOUSLY dropped off. The "running" shoes are all but casual shoes now. Remember the Shox TL? Awesome shoes IMO. Why did they stop? I think Shox still could be redefined and retooled to be a little bit better as far as performance is concerned. The Shox 09 seemed like they were trying to do something right but I guess not.
frown.gif
frown.gif

I USED to be a Shox fan, but now I don't even see the point.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

But Shox as a technology has pretty much flopped. Since its first incarnation with BB4 the Basketball line has SERIOUSLY dropped off. The "running" shoes are all but casual shoes now. Remember the Shox TL? Awesome shoes IMO. Why did they stop? I think Shox still could be redefined and retooled to be a little bit better as far as performance is concerned. The Shox 09 seemed like they were trying to do something right but I guess not.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Word. I never had a pair of shoes with Shox but the concept always struck me as sort of gimmicky. As for most innovated, I'd have to agree with those who said Zoom Air.

I like Foamposite but Rock brings up a great point: Design or performance improvement? I also think why Nike hasn't brought out many other Foam shoes is that they are just too damn expensive for the regular consumer; I understand the price, but others wouldn't look at a Foam and immediately realize why its so expensive. But I like AIR as the innovation because as everyone else has said, all the other cushioning has come from that particular technology. However, I wish Nike still did Tuned Air; I loved the Air Max Plus, my favorite running shoe; I love the way the columns compressed within the Airbag, felt really supportive.

Shox.

there was a timeline on Nike's site back when the first Shox were released. according to their timeline, Nike was working on Shox (or a form of it) before they released air cushioning.

frown.gif
frown.gif

if you're talking about innovation alone, then Shox has to get the nod.

i think most people are confusing innovation with success.

of course Air/Zoom Air is, by far and away, more successful than Shox have been, but if you look at the amount of time and effort put into Shox, then there's no denying the innovation that went into that technology, regardless of the fact that it isn't as popular.

IMO correctly implemented monkey paw. Too bad they dropped this technology. It was so raw and they could have taken to new heights easily.

Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb

Zoom air by far nike implements and utilizes Zoom Air in every shoe genre to provided lightweight, durable, responsive, and low profile cushioning.
Nike uses it in their high end shoes like the Vomero, Jordan 2010, Zoom Force 1, and the Kobe V's to name a few.
So from Running to Snowboarding Zoom Air is used and delivers always.

The Air Zoom unit starts with two fabric layers connected by thousands of vertical fibers, each attached at both ends to a fabric layer. These fibers are then surrounded with pressurized gas inside a Nike Air unit. While the pressurized air exerts and outward force, like a full balloon, the fibers are placed in tension and exert an opposing inward force to keep the air bag from popping or bulging. On impact, the air bag compresses to relieve the tension on the fibers. After impact, the pressurize gas expands the air bag and places tension on those fibers. The fibers compress on impact and then spring back immediately. The advantage to the Air Zoom is that it is incredibly thin and light, but it provides excellent impact cushioning while allowing the wearer to feel the surface he or she is on.
Great info. Thank you! I didn't know that about zoom.

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

IMO correctly implemented monkey paw. Too bad they dropped this technology. It was so raw and they could have taken to new heights easily.
what is monkey paw?

^ A monkey paw was a TPU piece that Nike placed in the medial part of the ankle in a basketball shoe to help prevent ankle inversion. Most notably added to the Zoom Flight, Zoom T-Bug (actually exposed), Gary Payton's entire sig line (save for the Payton IV; more along the lines of just TPU anti-inversion plates, Nike called 'em) and the Shox BB4. I still don't get why Nike moved away from this; I really, really liked it.

Shox.

frown.gif
frown.gif

of course Air/Zoom Air is, by far and away, more successful than Shox have been, but if you look at the amount of time and effort put into Shox, then there's no denying the innovation that went into that technology, regardless of the fact that it isn't as popular.
The goal of innovation is positive change, to make someone or something better.

Shox haven't done that.

Most of you are voting for AIR, as I would too. But technically, Nike didn't create the Air technology. A NASA employee invented the concept of Air and actually brought the technology to Adidas first (I think, might have been another competitor). However, the NASA employee discovered that Adidas (or the other brand) was planning on stealing the concept/technology from him without giving him credit, so he took it to Nike.

Anyway, that's just a bit of history that may be worth knowing. As far as my most innovative technologies, there are so many to name.

Zoom Air is one of the top
Shox was pretty good in it's prime (boing!)
Flywire is proving to serve it's purpose and to be durable.

But the Nike Free - probably MY FAVORITE. Created to strengthen the muscles in your feet, are so lightweight with minimal support, yet the shoe is still incredibly comfortable - a lot more comfortable than other shoes that cost 1/3 of the price more.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Air obviously has to be the Lead, as it started off everything else AIR related...

However is Foamposite a Technology? If so it's a Fabrication Technology, as it's not regarded as a Performance Technology.

I had that discussion with Designers on both sides of that fence and everyone asked... What does it really do for your performance on court.

Still a technology. The question didn't break it down into sub segments. Foam is close. Foam is amazing in shoes that utilize in the right spots. IMO the flightposite II is the epitome of foam tech and a solid basketball shoe. In fact one of my favorite tennis shoes of all time is the courtposite. Not a super thick foam, but it can help performance.

My Vote ZOOM.

It's to the point where I will not play/buy/wear anything that doesn't have it.

Played the lebron vii this year, lunarlite for tennis this year also. Can't believe nike is putting out so many top tier shoes now without zoom. I developed shin splints and shox give me a sore back. I played college basketball when bb4 came out and that's when my trouble started.

ZOOM > then all.

However, just to offer a different look: DRI-FIT

That's been copied and redone by many a company. There are many versions of it, I prefer those that have a cotton mix, but it is huge for Nike's apparel success.

Are you sure that Nike was the first company to make material like Dri-Fit? Or were they really the first one to take it as mainstream as they did. Because I have a hard time believing that they were the first to develop it.

^^^ Why do you have a hard time with this? They are the first I can remember, and they have certainly created numerous other technologies. Myself, I say Air has to be it. They may not have created the initial idea, but they spent the money to innovate and bring it to market, basically gambling the future of the company on it.

You may be right, just seems like I remember Nike coming with Sphere Dry before Under Armour. I know I got a Dri-Fit around 1997-1998 from a relative for Christmas.

I have Agassi Polo's from 95 that were Dri-fit.

Dri-fit is a tricky situation because there are so many different blends, styles, a la sphere.

Under Armour was founded in 1996 so it may be possible. I'd imagine there is a company who invented it and the technology was sold off to Under Armour and Nike and so-on.

^^ HAHA love that avatar, where did you get it?

anyway, just to add to the mix -

IPS: Independent Pod System (i think). I've only worn the Jordan XX casually, don't have any Jordan XXI's, but used to wear Jordan XX2's for basketball and the IPS was pretty good. There must be something there worth holding onto and providing to consumers/athletes since they just brought back that technology with the Air Jordan Accolades

What exactly did IPS do that was so innovative though? Nothing too drastic IMO that really changed the game. I wasn't a fan at all so I guess that's why I feel that way.

^word.  I mean besides the fact you can switch between Air and Zoom there wasnt much of a WOW factor.
I didn't mind it, but i wasnt standing in line for it.

Shox.

frown.gif
frown.gif

The goal of innovation is positive change, to make someone or something better.

Shox haven't done that.

that simply isn't true.

according to Nike's own timeline, they were working on Shox before they implemented AIR. Shox paved the way for AIR.

the designers were trying to figure out a way to make the two plates (sole and midsole) not bottom out while walking/running. eventually AIR was the original solution. that solution was discovered while attempting to invent Shox.

Back
Top Bottom