Much Props to Michael Irvin for standing up for marriage equality

Ignorant members of minority groups simply want to make another minority group feel inferior to them so that they can feel better about themselves and satisfy a superiority complex. Mask it with whatever "intelligent" reasoning you like, but that's all it is. Throughout the five pages I read of this thread, I did not see a single even remotely intelligent or logically-sound argument to strengthen the argument against gay marriage rights. The most notably stupid thing I read was that somebody tried to compare allowing gays to get married to allowing polygamy, incest and pedophilia... Apples and oranges at its finest.

Good for Irvin for supporting a movement toward tolerance and acceptance of others of a different lifestyle.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by RealRubirosa

Ignorant members of minority groups simply want to make another minority group feel inferior to them so that they can feel better about themselves and satisfy a superiority complex. Mask it with whatever "intelligent" reasoning you like, but that's all it is. Throughout the five pages I read of this thread, I did not see a single even remotely intelligent or logically-sound argument to strengthen the argument against gay marriage rights. The most notably stupid thing I read was that somebody tried to compare allowing gays to get married to allowing polygamy, incest and pedophilia... Apples and oranges at its finest.

Good for Irvin for supporting a movement toward tolerance and acceptance of others of a different lifestyle.
^ All i was ever trying to get at.  Instead my character was attacked for being a former teacher....come on certain black folks, you're better than that... Hilarious how certain communities instead of uniting, try to find the next group to get an upper hand on...

^ All i was ever trying to get at.  Instead my character was attacked for being a former teacher....come on certain black folks, you're better than that... Hilarious how certain communities instead of uniting, try to find the next group to get an upper hand on...

I mean, I could make an argument/brief for both sides of this debate, but that's a bit much for the scope of this discussion. Either way, the argument supporting gay marriage rights is much stronger than that opposing it. There's just no really good reason against it accept for blatant intolerance.

I mean, I could make an argument/brief for both sides of this debate, but that's a bit much for the scope of this discussion. Either way, the argument supporting gay marriage rights is much stronger than that opposing it. There's just no really good reason against it accept for blatant intolerance.

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Originally Posted by Deuce King

LOL because they need help to conceive they don't deserve to get married? So women who take folic acid and prenatal supplements and go to doctors for help don't deserve to get married either? Before advances in medicine the infant mortality rate was abysmal and still is in many parts of the world, so getting help makes the birth somehow less meaningful?

Your reading comprehension skills leave much to be desired for.  Let me break it down for you some more champ.  What I'm saying is this, homosexual couples can produce children just within themselves, no way no how.  Heterosexual couples can, not saying all can because some have health issues, but at the end of the day between 100 heterosexual couples and 100 homosexual couples at least 1% of the heterosexual couples can make a baby while 0% of the homosexual couples can make a baby.  I say because all though homosexual couples want the same rights as heterosexual couples and want to have EQUALITY they simply don't have the same abilty between the two.  I'm not saying that means that homosexual couples are less of a people than heterosexual couples but from an equality standpoint as far as making a baby they simply can't get the job done.  Don't you think a homosexual couple would want to do the same things a heterosexual couple can do just exactly as they way they do it??

so tired of gays trying to equate their struggle to blacks. there's NO comparison.

I agree.

I seems like you're saying that the right to marry is conditionally based on the couples ability to reproduce though...

No, that's not what I'm saying or even trying to say.  I do thank you for at least posing your statement in the form of a question to me as it appears, seriously.  When gay marriage is talked about we often hear the term marriage equality, and that's a good point for us to think about.  As far as equality for gay couples goes, I'm sure they want to be able to do the same things and have the same benefits that heterosexual couples have, but as we all know they simply can't reproduce solely as a couple.  As a whole I'm sure we as Americans want equality for all people, not just gays, but blacks, whites, asians, males, females, and everything in between, I know that's what I want.  However, just from an viewpoint of equality everyone can't do what everyone else can, specifically for what we are focusing on right now which is homosexuals being able to reproduce as a couple within themselves.  

LOL because they need help to conceive they don't deserve to get married? So women who take folic acid and prenatal supplements and go to doctors for help don't deserve to get married either? Before advances in medicine the infant mortality rate was abysmal and still is in many parts of the world, so getting help makes the birth somehow less meaningful?

Your reading comprehension skills leave much to be desired for.  Let me break it down for you some more champ.  What I'm saying is this, homosexual couples can produce children just within themselves, no way no how.  Heterosexual couples can, not saying all can because some have health issues, but at the end of the day between 100 heterosexual couples and 100 homosexual couples at least 1% of the heterosexual couples can make a baby while 0% of the homosexual couples can make a baby.  I say because all though homosexual couples want the same rights as heterosexual couples and want to have EQUALITY they simply don't have the same abilty between the two.  I'm not saying that means that homosexual couples are less of a people than heterosexual couples but from an equality standpoint as far as making a baby they simply can't get the job done.  Don't you think a homosexual couple would want to do the same things a heterosexual couple can do just exactly as they way they do it??

so tired of gays trying to equate their struggle to blacks. there's NO comparison.

I agree.

I seems like you're saying that the right to marry is conditionally based on the couples ability to reproduce though...

No, that's not what I'm saying or even trying to say.  I do thank you for at least posing your statement in the form of a question to me as it appears, seriously.  When gay marriage is talked about we often hear the term marriage equality, and that's a good point for us to think about.  As far as equality for gay couples goes, I'm sure they want to be able to do the same things and have the same benefits that heterosexual couples have, but as we all know they simply can't reproduce solely as a couple.  As a whole I'm sure we as Americans want equality for all people, not just gays, but blacks, whites, asians, males, females, and everything in between, I know that's what I want.  However, just from an viewpoint of equality everyone can't do what everyone else can, specifically for what we are focusing on right now which is homosexuals being able to reproduce as a couple within themselves.  

I agree.

LOL que.....? Are you insinuating that a homosexual male couple, would want their significant others to have the reproductive apparatus of a woman? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of being homosexual?

Your reading comprehension skill don't leave much to be desired either. If there is no relevance in their struggles for equal treatment, why bring reproductive potential up at all CHAMP.

You know what i love, how when I bring up those important points you try to play it off like that was your original statement. You said homosexuals need help having children, I gave various examples of situations were heterosexuals need help having kids. What you said in this post, is clearly NOT what you said in the original post.....you saw that my argument weakens yours so you refined your original argument. You've been doing it all thread, pretending like people aren't reading what you said. That's not going to work on me.
laugh.gif

BOTTOM LINE: Doesn't %%5%ing matter, they should still get the rights afforded by their heterosexual counterparts. These same "questions about abilities" as justification for taking rights away from people were used against black people as well....go figure
grin.gif

Homosexuals can raise children, in fact the fact that homosexuals ADOPT makes them a benefit to humanity. Heterosexuals add kids to an already overpopulated earth, many abandon said children....having children hardly makes anyone special see the "why people don't have children thread" for more.

The assumption that homosexuals want to do things EXACTLY how heterosexuals do so is absolutely moronic.  The only equality asked for by homosexuals is to be able to marry, and to not be discriminated against. It's simple....they aren't asking for their husbands to have wombs or their wives to have penises.

I agree.

LOL que.....? Are you insinuating that a homosexual male couple, would want their significant others to have the reproductive apparatus of a woman? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of being homosexual?

Your reading comprehension skill don't leave much to be desired either. If there is no relevance in their struggles for equal treatment, why bring reproductive potential up at all CHAMP.

You know what i love, how when I bring up those important points you try to play it off like that was your original statement. You said homosexuals need help having children, I gave various examples of situations were heterosexuals need help having kids. What you said in this post, is clearly NOT what you said in the original post.....you saw that my argument weakens yours so you refined your original argument. You've been doing it all thread, pretending like people aren't reading what you said. That's not going to work on me.
laugh.gif

BOTTOM LINE: Doesn't %%5%ing matter, they should still get the rights afforded by their heterosexual counterparts. These same "questions about abilities" as justification for taking rights away from people were used against black people as well....go figure
grin.gif

Homosexuals can raise children, in fact the fact that homosexuals ADOPT makes them a benefit to humanity. Heterosexuals add kids to an already overpopulated earth, many abandon said children....having children hardly makes anyone special see the "why people don't have children thread" for more.

The assumption that homosexuals want to do things EXACTLY how heterosexuals do so is absolutely moronic.  The only equality asked for by homosexuals is to be able to marry, and to not be discriminated against. It's simple....they aren't asking for their husbands to have wombs or their wives to have penises.

I agree.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or what, but  it wasn't a question, it was what I gleaned from whatever point you were trying to make up there.
and that's basically how it comes off as, gay couples aren't allowed marriage equality because they can't reproduce....
I still don't see how reproduction would be a factor in marriage equality, again since reproduction is not a condition of marriage for heterosexual couples...

I agree.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or what, but  it wasn't a question, it was what I gleaned from whatever point you were trying to make up there.
and that's basically how it comes off as, gay couples aren't allowed marriage equality because they can't reproduce....
I still don't see how reproduction would be a factor in marriage equality, again since reproduction is not a condition of marriage for heterosexual couples...

So you think gay marriage is more comparable to civil rights?

I feel like if you're against gay marrige then you're just thinking way too much about it.

"Marraige is this, marraige is defined as that."

How about we redefine marraige, then. More than one consenting adults agree to sign a contract in which one gets half of the other's stuff after they inevitably break up (joke).

I feel like if you're against gay marrige then you're just thinking way too much about it.

"Marraige is this, marraige is defined as that."

How about we redefine marraige, then. More than one consenting adults agree to sign a contract in which one gets half of the other's stuff after they inevitably break up (joke).

I've spoken on this issue before but it bears repeating: the Black civil rights struggle and the gay marriage struggle are incomparable for a simple reason. One involved fundamental human rights: "equal protection under the law" and equal treatment by public establishments, schools, business establishments etc. The gay marriage issue is different because it is about WHAT THE DEFINITION of the legal contract we call marriage is. This is not a fundamental human rights issue nor one in which the government has a right to step in and define boundaries on the definition. That is left up to society to determine (that's what marriage is, a social construct that society has a right to define... just look at the countless manifestations of it across the globe) through voting etc. I don't know how some cannot grasp this.

I've spoken on this issue before but it bears repeating: the Black civil rights struggle and the gay marriage struggle are incomparable for a simple reason. One involved fundamental human rights: "equal protection under the law" and equal treatment by public establishments, schools, business establishments etc. The gay marriage issue is different because it is about WHAT THE DEFINITION of the legal contract we call marriage is. This is not a fundamental human rights issue nor one in which the government has a right to step in and define boundaries on the definition. That is left up to society to determine (that's what marriage is, a social construct that society has a right to define... just look at the countless manifestations of it across the globe) through voting etc. I don't know how some cannot grasp this.

Originally Posted by cguy610

By definition, that's exactly what gay marriage is: a civil rights issue...

Originally Posted by cguy610

By definition, that's exactly what gay marriage is: a civil rights issue...

Originally Posted by tkthafm

You're looking at the trees and missing the forest and mistakenly thinking you make any sense at all. Blacks getting civil rights was a matter of changed WHAT THE DEFINITION of a lot of laws was. All these laws existed for whites already, we just had to basically enhance them to include the populous of blacks that were being oppressed before. This is absolutely analogous to the situation we're in with gays for marriage.
You sound like you're not being malicious though and are just taken leaps in logic that aren't sound. Blacks, at the time, were a minority who were not given certain civil rights for no particularly good reason. Gays, at this time, are a minority who are not given certain civil rights for no particular reason. The particular civil rights in question between the two groups may vary, but they still fall under the same umbrella term of "civil rights" though.

A lot of people need to re-familiarize themselves with what a civil right is before they say that gay marriage is not a civil rights issue.

Originally Posted by tkthafm

You're looking at the trees and missing the forest and mistakenly thinking you make any sense at all. Blacks getting civil rights was a matter of changed WHAT THE DEFINITION of a lot of laws was. All these laws existed for whites already, we just had to basically enhance them to include the populous of blacks that were being oppressed before. This is absolutely analogous to the situation we're in with gays for marriage.
You sound like you're not being malicious though and are just taken leaps in logic that aren't sound. Blacks, at the time, were a minority who were not given certain civil rights for no particularly good reason. Gays, at this time, are a minority who are not given certain civil rights for no particular reason. The particular civil rights in question between the two groups may vary, but they still fall under the same umbrella term of "civil rights" though.

A lot of people need to re-familiarize themselves with what a civil right is before they say that gay marriage is not a civil rights issue.

Are you insinuating that a homosexual male couple, would want their significant others to have the reproductive apparatus of a woman? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of being homosexual?

Not that a homosexual male couple would want their partner to have a reproductive apparatus like a woman
laugh.gif
, but that the male couple would want to create a child together in their likeness.  Don't you think that a gay couple would want to do that??  Many couples would like to but they know they can't together. 

What you said in this post, is clearly NOT what you said in the original post.....you saw that my argument weakens yours so you refined your original argument.

That's not what I've been doing at all in here, but nice try though.  I actually gave you a bit too much credit when I said the statement that a homosexual couple can't create a child.  I thought you knew that I was talking about just the couple themselves without having surrogate partner, but you obviously didn't draw that conclusion, so I had to break things down for you more throughout the thread.  Not a problem though, remember champ, we are helpers one another, don't ever forget that.

The assumption that homosexuals want to do things EXACTLY how heterosexuals do so is absolutely moronic.  The only equality asked for by homosexuals is to be able to marry,

That looks like a contradiction to me my friend.  Be it just marriage or even something else later on down the road, homosexuals want to do things exactly the way heterosexual couples do in regards to marriage.

I still don't see how reproduction would be a factor in marriage equality
Not in connection to being married as far as reproduction goes, but just within themselves as a homosexual couple and them wanting equality.  I'm sure they want equality and want to be able to do what heterosexual couples can do, but from an equality standpoint in regards to reproduction they simply can't. 

Are you insinuating that a homosexual male couple, would want their significant others to have the reproductive apparatus of a woman? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of being homosexual?

Not that a homosexual male couple would want their partner to have a reproductive apparatus like a woman
laugh.gif
, but that the male couple would want to create a child together in their likeness.  Don't you think that a gay couple would want to do that??  Many couples would like to but they know they can't together. 

What you said in this post, is clearly NOT what you said in the original post.....you saw that my argument weakens yours so you refined your original argument.

That's not what I've been doing at all in here, but nice try though.  I actually gave you a bit too much credit when I said the statement that a homosexual couple can't create a child.  I thought you knew that I was talking about just the couple themselves without having surrogate partner, but you obviously didn't draw that conclusion, so I had to break things down for you more throughout the thread.  Not a problem though, remember champ, we are helpers one another, don't ever forget that.

The assumption that homosexuals want to do things EXACTLY how heterosexuals do so is absolutely moronic.  The only equality asked for by homosexuals is to be able to marry,

That looks like a contradiction to me my friend.  Be it just marriage or even something else later on down the road, homosexuals want to do things exactly the way heterosexual couples do in regards to marriage.

I still don't see how reproduction would be a factor in marriage equality
Not in connection to being married as far as reproduction goes, but just within themselves as a homosexual couple and them wanting equality.  I'm sure they want equality and want to be able to do what heterosexual couples can do, but from an equality standpoint in regards to reproduction they simply can't. 

Back
Top Bottom