My friend: "black people could have equality and opportunity today; all they do is complain/settle"

Okay NT. I waited till "peak" hours to post this. Long story short. I was at work today talking to a co-worker. It wuz in reference to thePresidential Race. Well, you can't talk about this election without pulling the race card, right? So, while talking about race, we stumbled upon slavery.She claims slavery is an old and tired excuse. She's black y'all.
indifferent.gif
I straight up
smh.gif
while she rants about how black people live by alower standard today because black people are afraid to sacrifice now. I say, "what do you mean 'sacrifice now'?" She claims that her people felt comfortable steppingaside after the civil rights movements and that now, all black people will see is what we have. That brought me back to questioning Obama and his run forPresidency. And all she had to say is that it's not against rules and regulations of our nation for him to run for President. And I basically followed upby saying that if the door to become President is open, what makes her think that others opportunities aren't available? Then our convo kinda broke up b/cwe both had work to attend to. Anyway, bottomline is, slavery, [color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]accordingto her[/color], is a tired excuse. And that black people could have equality and opportunity today, but all they do is complain and settle for what they have.Feelings???

let her keep thinking that and then when someone who isnt black call her the N word she's going to come back to reality

Originally Posted by Thugnificence

we black people cant keep blaming slavery for all our problems tho

Im not blaming it for all my problems. But something like that never goes away. So in 100 years are you gonna go up to an american and say The attacks on 9/11is a tired and old excuse for something. Is the genocide in Darfur also gonna be a tired and old excuse in a few hundred years?

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

My answer is: Do you know anyone still alive that was involved with slavery?

Yup my great grandmother and great grandfather ur argument has failed

Originally Posted by Jules300

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

My answer is: Do you know anyone still alive that was involved with slavery?

Yup my great grandmother and great grandfather ur argument has failed

Yea see. And even still. Whether or not ANY of them are alive, is that fair reason to forget about it and move on?

i agree with her wholeheartedly ... and i also agree with holdenmichael changing this thread title ... solid effort by a well respected moderator

Slavery wasnt the end all be all to black oppression in America.

People always conveniently skip over Reconstruction and Jim Crowe. Black people still couldn't really legally vote, own homes or access higher education inmost cases until the 1960's. So really, we are talking about black people being 'legally free' from oppression for 40-50 years, and trust me i knowtons of black people who were alive then.

Originally Posted by Jules300

What the hell is that suppose to mean holden?

He's quoting what my co-worker said. Not exactly my friend.
eyes.gif
Sorryabout that tho holden. And thanks at the same time.
wink.gif

i aint black, but i kinda of agree....black people wasnt the only one use as slave, the chinese and native american were also used as slave.

I'm black and I'm doing just fine, as are most of my friends and associates. In fact, I actually got out a pen and paper the other day when at the gymwith most of my friends because I had just read another one of those "80% of black people can't/don't...." type exxagerated articles and thisone was on dropouts and I realized over 80% of my friends actually not only graduated high school, but college. I always read these things about how bad weare, then I'm in the real world (and hell I live in a city that's about 50% black) looking and can't find it, maybe with the exception of wetlockparenting.

all i needed to hear was in my african american history class freshman year, my black teacher sonned this black kid cuz he told some asian dude that his familyprolly packaged a few slaves with some dim dum ... teacher went on to not only tell him that one of the reasons why slavery was so prevelant was because blackpeople sold other black people for money, but also kick him out of her class for racisnt remarks ...

Originally Posted by i3allistic

i aint black, but i kinda of agree....black people wasnt the only one use as slave, the chinese and native american were also used as slave.

Native Americans still haven't rebound. How many Native Americans have you seen lately? Black people suffer alot from what white people have dealt us inthe past. Black people are in a black hole by being in the ghetto and it keeps a lot of them stuck in there. Its only been like 50 years since they werethrowing rocks at us for going to their schools.

I think the playing field is still not even
but that is not an excuse not to go forward 100% to improve yourself

Slavery placed black people into an inferior position. A position that still exists today as racism. Its a power play. Truth be told, there is NOT equalitytoday. Look around at historically black schools and white schools. You will probably find high HIV rates and lower test scores around the board at blackschools. Is this all because black kids only complain and settle? Most of these schools are severely under funded.. Poor paid teachers, no supplies, the listgoes on and on. I do agree that there has to be a lot of initiative on the individual's side to succeed. But even then, a black person will have to worktwice as hard to reap the same gains as any white person.

Black people CAN blame slavery. Slavery lasted for hundreds of years and only ended a little over a hundred years ago. Think about it, thats not a long time atall! There is a woman in Africa that is 134 years old! its going to take a long time to bounce back from that.

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

a black person will have to work twice as hard to reap the same gains as any white person.
this is one of the most ridiculous statements ive ever seen on NT ...

Oh really?? Explain why a black man with the same qualifications, similar education can apply for a job, but often lose out to a white candidate. It has beresearched and proven.

Originally Posted by FeedTheEgo1982

Originally Posted by MarleysProtege

a black person will have to work twice as hard to reap the same gains as any white person.
this is one of the most ridiculous statements ive ever seen on NT ...

Oh really?? Explain why a black man with the same qualifications, similar education can apply for a job, but often lose out to a white candidate. It has be researched and proven.

OWNED!

Back
Top Bottom