My Jordan Experience.... (updated with PICS!)

I thought I would post something a little different on here...

I am a semi-Jordanhead. I grew up being forced to wear my fathers fashion choices. These usually included Converse Weapons and Chuck Taylors. He was totally against NIKE. However, I longed to have a pair of Jordans. I finally got my wish in the 7th grade. My father found the Black/True Red VII's for sale and they were MINE. I wore those things until there was an actual hole in the bottom of both of the shoes. Even then, I still wore them.

My next pair came during my 8th grade JV basketball season. My father bought me the Powder Blue IX's. He had his own Black and True Red IX's. I think it was his first pair of NIKE shoes. He fell in love with them after watching Jason Williams and Randy Moss sporting them at our local high school games. I eventually traded my Powder Blues to my father for a copy of NBA JAM!  (I still have both of those original IX's)

I had to wait for the Obsidian XII's before I could wear another pair of Jordans. I was a Junior on my Varsity basketball team. This was probably one of my favorite shoes and I now cut grass in them. Hey, it is not like I can do anything else in them.

Then it was off to WVU and NO MONEY!!!!  I actually let a buddy  live in my apartment and pay me rent instead of to the landlords. With his first $300 payment, I bought a Dreamcast!! With the second, I was all set to buy the Black and Red XVI's. But the landlords dicovery of my buddy living for "free", meant that I would have to wait for another pair.

My next pair came after the birth of my first son. My best friend from college bought me the all black XXI's. I think this shoe was slightly underrated. I still wear these as a casual shoe because it is hard to go wrong with an all black shoe.

For a Fathers day gift a couple years ago, I purchased the IX, XIV countdown pack. I needed those IX's that my father had first bought all those years ago. He had passed away while I was in college and this countdown pack holds a special place in my small collection. I actually fell in love with the XIV's from that pack as well.

Later, my wife bought me the AJF XX's. The are the low cut brown ones and have a gum sole. Now I usually hate fusions but this shoe reminded me of the Reebok Gum Soles that I used to have in High School. I actually get A LOT of wear out of these.

That completes my small collection of shoes, but this small colletion sparks way more memories for me. I have baby number two on the way and I am now 30. I hardly ever buy anything for myself and I often live vacariously through you people on these boards. I hope that when you look at the ONE pair or the one THOUSAND pairs of Jordans that you have, that you have good memories to go with all of them.

UPDATE....

Finally got a new pair a little while ago...NOTHING SPECIAL but a nice summer shoe for this old man....This was another Fathers Day/Birthday gift from my wifey. She had to force me to allow her to get them. They were already on sale! SMH that i have TWO pair of Fusions, but these are probably the only Fusions I found decent.

jordan-cmft-air-11-white-cool-grey.jpg

Thanks
(Sorry if this should go in Showcase)

I thought I would post something a little different on here...

I am a semi-Jordanhead. I grew up being forced to wear my fathers fashion choices. These usually included Converse Weapons and Chuck Taylors. He was totally against NIKE. However, I longed to have a pair of Jordans. I finally got my wish in the 7th grade. My father found the Black/True Red VII's for sale and they were MINE. I wore those things until there was an actual hole in the bottom of both of the shoes. Even then, I still wore them.

My next pair came during my 8th grade JV basketball season. My father bought me the Powder Blue IX's. He had his own Black and True Red IX's. I think it was his first pair of NIKE shoes. He fell in love with them after watching Jason Williams and Randy Moss sporting them at our local high school games. I eventually traded my Powder Blues to my father for a copy of NBA JAM!  (I still have both of those original IX's)

I had to wait for the Obsidian XII's before I could wear another pair of Jordans. I was a Junior on my Varsity basketball team. This was probably one of my favorite shoes and I now cut grass in them. Hey, it is not like I can do anything else in them.

Then it was off to WVU and NO MONEY!!!!  I actually let a buddy  live in my apartment and pay me rent instead of to the landlords. With his first $300 payment, I bought a Dreamcast!! With the second, I was all set to buy the Black and Red XVI's. But the landlords dicovery of my buddy living for "free", meant that I would have to wait for another pair.

My next pair came after the birth of my first son. My best friend from college bought me the all black XXI's. I think this shoe was slightly underrated. I still wear these as a casual shoe because it is hard to go wrong with an all black shoe.

For a Fathers day gift a couple years ago, I purchased the IX, XIV countdown pack. I needed those IX's that my father had first bought all those years ago. He had passed away while I was in college and this countdown pack holds a special place in my small collection. I actually fell in love with the XIV's from that pack as well.

Later, my wife bought me the AJF XX's. The are the low cut brown ones and have a gum sole. Now I usually hate fusions but this shoe reminded me of the Reebok Gum Soles that I used to have in High School. I actually get A LOT of wear out of these.

That completes my small collection of shoes, but this small colletion sparks way more memories for me. I have baby number two on the way and I am now 30. I hardly ever buy anything for myself and I often live vacariously through you people on these boards. I hope that when you look at the ONE pair or the one THOUSAND pairs of Jordans that you have, that you have good memories to go with all of them.

UPDATE....

Finally got a new pair a little while ago...NOTHING SPECIAL but a nice summer shoe for this old man....This was another Fathers Day/Birthday gift from my wifey. She had to force me to allow her to get them. They were already on sale! SMH that i have TWO pair of Fusions, but these are probably the only Fusions I found decent.

jordan-cmft-air-11-white-cool-grey.jpg

Thanks
(Sorry if this should go in Showcase)

Nice little story you got there man.
smokin.gif
...Those 9 pairs you own holds more value than some with 1000 pairs in their collection.

A lot of people nowadays get shoes just for the sake of it and don't have a clue what they are.

smokin.gif
...Those 9 pairs you own holds more value than some with 1000 pairs in their collection.

A lot of people nowadays get shoes just for the sake of it and don't have a clue what they are.

Originally Posted by VietStar

smokin.gif

Originally Posted by VietStar

smokin.gif

Great post, rgrooms.  Surprised no one has made a comment about how "I'm not gonna read all dat LOL!!1111eleventyone".  Great to see someone else that remembers the difficulties of trying to get a pair of the originals 15-25 years ago.  People take it for granted today, because $125+ for a pair of sneakers has become common place, and American financial priorities have changed so much that stock piling shoes you want (more like TOLD to want) is nothing these days.  They don't know the struggles of begging your parents, or scrounging all your pennies together for just ONE pair of Air Jordans a year in whatever was your favorite colorway that year.

Originally Posted by rgrooms13

I hope that when you look at the ONE pair or the one THOUSAND pairs of Jordans that you have, that you have good memories to go with all of them.
Oh, we get to read/hear a LOT of great stories about the sentimental values of Air Jordans to members on here.  Terrific stories, like....ummm.....OH!  Like memories of how long they waited in line for the release of retros they had no attachment to.....ummm......OH, and how pissed off people are that JB is re-retroing some shoes they own, so now they won't be the only ones on the block with them....uhhhh.....oh yes, and how the quality really isn't that bad compared to the originals......even though they've never even seen a pair of originals in person, much less owned them, etc.  Yeah.....LOTS of great, deep, sentimental, meaningful stories and memories!
roll.gif

Great post, rgrooms.  Surprised no one has made a comment about how "I'm not gonna read all dat LOL!!1111eleventyone".  Great to see someone else that remembers the difficulties of trying to get a pair of the originals 15-25 years ago.  People take it for granted today, because $125+ for a pair of sneakers has become common place, and American financial priorities have changed so much that stock piling shoes you want (more like TOLD to want) is nothing these days.  They don't know the struggles of begging your parents, or scrounging all your pennies together for just ONE pair of Air Jordans a year in whatever was your favorite colorway that year.

Originally Posted by rgrooms13

I hope that when you look at the ONE pair or the one THOUSAND pairs of Jordans that you have, that you have good memories to go with all of them.
Oh, we get to read/hear a LOT of great stories about the sentimental values of Air Jordans to members on here.  Terrific stories, like....ummm.....OH!  Like memories of how long they waited in line for the release of retros they had no attachment to.....ummm......OH, and how pissed off people are that JB is re-retroing some shoes they own, so now they won't be the only ones on the block with them....uhhhh.....oh yes, and how the quality really isn't that bad compared to the originals......even though they've never even seen a pair of originals in person, much less owned them, etc.  Yeah.....LOTS of great, deep, sentimental, meaningful stories and memories!
roll.gif

Hey man, this is a great story. Everyone's experiences are unique and yours definitely makes for an interesting read. That NBA Jam was probably sooo worth it at the time.. and nice scheme with your roommate. Sorry to hear about your pops, RIP.

Hey man, this is a great story. Everyone's experiences are unique and yours definitely makes for an interesting read. That NBA Jam was probably sooo worth it at the time.. and nice scheme with your roommate. Sorry to hear about your pops, RIP.

Back
Top Bottom