NBA Draft Thread 2011

Alec Burks at 3???
laugh.gif
If Utah does that, their GM should be fired on the spot. If that's the guy they covet, they should trade out of 3 and get him a little later on in the lottery (cause he'll be there). Utah can get a pick/player for that #3 ESPECIALLY if either Williams/Kanter are still on the board.

Alec Burks at 3???
laugh.gif
If Utah does that, their GM should be fired on the spot. If that's the guy they covet, they should trade out of 3 and get him a little later on in the lottery (cause he'll be there). Utah can get a pick/player for that #3 ESPECIALLY if either Williams/Kanter are still on the board.

I could see Alec Burks as an Aaron Afflalo type player in the league. I don't think that's what you wanna spend the number 3 pick on. Might as well trade the pick for Monta or Iguodala if you're gonna do that.

I could see Alec Burks as an Aaron Afflalo type player in the league. I don't think that's what you wanna spend the number 3 pick on. Might as well trade the pick for Monta or Iguodala if you're gonna do that.

Whats so bad about giving up Fields and the !st rounder for Jennings. I doubt the Bucks would take it but what's the real problem.

Alecs Burk. Not sure if SRS

Whats so bad about giving up Fields and the !st rounder for Jennings. I doubt the Bucks would take it but what's the real problem.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

You're overvaluing the hell outta Fields. 

You're overvaluing the hell outta Fields. 

^ Double,

So you're saying that Fields AND the 1st wouldn't be enough, in your mind, for Milwaukee to trade Jennings?

Not being sarcastic and not saying it's a good trade for the Knicks, but I'm curious as to your view....

^ Double,

So you're saying that Fields AND the 1st wouldn't be enough, in your mind, for Milwaukee to trade Jennings?

Not being sarcastic and not saying it's a good trade for the Knicks, but I'm curious as to your view....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

You're overvaluing the hell outta Fields and Jennings.

Fixed.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

You're overvaluing the hell outta Fields and Jennings.

Fixed.

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

^ Double,

Where do you see Fields fitting on the Bucks?  It's no secret that many folks think the Knicks messed up by passing on Jennings to begin with.  Even with his ups/downs, it would be a dream scenario (to some extent) to get him in the Knicks blue/orange.  Fields is arguably the best of the young talent on the Knicks roster.  However, I don't see the Bucks trading their starting PG (with major upside) for a role player and a roll-of-the-dice 1st round pick at 17.  If they're going to move Jennings, I think they can do better.  Knicks IMO, don't have much to offer.  They're severely depleted in the wake of the Melo deal. 

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

^ Double,

Where do you see Fields fitting on the Bucks?  It's no secret that many folks think the Knicks messed up by passing on Jennings to begin with.  Even with his ups/downs, it would be a dream scenario (to some extent) to get him in the Knicks blue/orange.  Fields is arguably the best of the young talent on the Knicks roster.  However, I don't see the Bucks trading their starting PG (with major upside) for a role player and a roll-of-the-dice 1st round pick at 17.  If they're going to move Jennings, I think they can do better.  Knicks IMO, don't have much to offer.  They're severely depleted in the wake of the Melo deal. 

I think the question was misinterpreted to certain extent.

Fit wise, I don't think it makes much sense for Milwaukee (I believe we agree here) because of their relative depth at 2/3 and lack of depth behind Jennings at the 1.

However, I do think that Fields + #17 is more of a fair trade, than it is unfair (surrounding rosters aside).

Just my $.02.

I think the question was misinterpreted to certain extent.

Fit wise, I don't think it makes much sense for Milwaukee (I believe we agree here) because of their relative depth at 2/3 and lack of depth behind Jennings at the 1.

However, I do think that Fields + #17 is more of a fair trade, than it is unfair (surrounding rosters aside).

Just my $.02.

I pray Jennings goes to the Knicks simply for the fact that Nolan will be forced to root for Melo AND BJ.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Basedgod, if you're up there. Make this happen!

I pray Jennings goes to the Knicks simply for the fact that Nolan will be forced to root for Melo AND BJ.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Chad Ford's Mock Draft 3.0
Spoiler [+]
The NBA draft combine is now behind us, and for the first time we have credible measurements, plus medical and athletic info on every prospect in the draft.

This week a number of first-round bubble players are competing in group workouts in Minnesota. From there, NBA teams will start their individual workouts in earnest.

There is still plenty of wiggle room here, as we're still a month away from the draft. But for now, here's our most informed take, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, about how the draft might play out in June.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

1.gif

cle.gif

Cleveland
(via L.A. Clippers)

nba_g_irving1x_65.jpg

Kyrie Irving

Position: PG
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 191 pounds
School: Duke

Analysis: How sure are we that the Cavs will be selecting Irving? While they say they're bringing in a number of other prospects for a closer look, Irving has only scheduled Cleveland at this time. Unless the Cavs are persuaded to trade the pick, I think Irving is a very safe bet at the top. Long-term, the Cavs have needs everywhere, and Irving is the safest pick in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

2.gif

min.gif

Minnesota

19490.jpg

Derrick Williams

Position: SF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 249
School: Arizona

Analysis: Owner Glen Taylor said Monday that he doesn't think the Wolves will trade their pick. That will come as a pretty big surprise to a number of GMs who claim that the Wolves are already talking to teams about the pick. The problem for the Wolves is that Williams plays the same positions as their best two players -- Kevin Love and Michael Beasley.

They could trade either player (Love especially would welcome a trade), but I'm not sure Williams is an upgrade. That leaves them with dealing this valuable asset and hoping to get back a few solid veterans to stabilize the team. So that's why I'm very confident Williams will go No. 2 -- I'm much less confident on which team will actually do the drafting.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

3.gif

uth.gif

Utah
(via New Jersey)

nba_u_knight_65.jpg

Brandon Knight

Height: 6-3
Weight: 177
School: Kentucky

Analysis: The Jazz are looking at everything at this point. Trading up, trading down, trading out and then looking at a number of prospects at No. 3. Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Jan Vesely, Jonas Valanciunas and Enes Kanter are all in the mix here.

But of that group, I think Knight has the edge. The Jazz love big guards, players who can defend multiple positions, guards who can shoot the basketball and high-character players. Knight checks off most of those boxes. The rest of the group all are a bit riskier.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

4.gif

cle.gif

Cleveland

19524.jpg

Enes Kanter

Position: PF
Height: 6-11
Weight: 260

Analysis: Kanter had a very good week at the Chicago combine. His measurements established him as a legit NBA center prospect. He played hard, showed he was in great shape and impressed during interviews. But there are still legitimate questions about how all those things will translate at the next level.

On one hand, he could be the best prospect in the draft. On the other, he could be yet another in a long line of international workout wonders. I do think he'll have major appeal for the Cavs. Not only does he have tremendous upside, but he is tough, can play inside and out, rebounds the basketball and has a higher basketball IQ than most kids his age. You could do a lot worse than building around Irving and Kanter.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

5.gif

tor.gif

Toronto

19415.jpg

Jan Vesely

Weight: 240

Analysis: I'm still trying to get the pulse of what's happening in Toronto. Now that Bryan Colangelo has his extension, he can afford to take more risks. The question is … who does he gamble on? Last week we had Valanciunas here. He's still in the mix, but I've been told that Vesely is even higher on his list.

A terrific athlete, Vesely is ready to play right now and adds great size to Toronto's front line. Kemba Walker is also a legit option here and if for some reason Brandon Knight falls, he won't slip past the Raptors.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

6.gif

was.gif

Washington

19534.jpg

Kawhi Leonard

Height: 6-7
Weight: 228
School: San Diego State

Analysis: Leonard had a good week in Chicago as well. He measured with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and had the biggest hands in the camp. He also put on a brief shooting display for GMs on Friday morning, showing off a new and improved shot.

With GM Ernie Grunfeld's job hanging in the balance, he doesn't have a lot of room to take risks -- especially on international players who might not come to Washington for years. Leonard's ability to come in and provide energy, defense and length right away makes him an attractive option and a potential impact player in Year 1.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

7.gif

sac.gif

Sacramento

nba_u_walkerk_65.jpg

Kemba Walker

Height: 6-1
Weight: 184
School: UConn

Analysis: We continue to keep Walker planted here in Sacramento, though from what I can gather, Geoff Petrie is considering a number of options including trades. Petrie is in the same boat as Grunfeld. His job isn't very safe, and the past two years Petrie has opted for a "sure-thing" player who could produce in Year 1. Walker is that guy at this point in the draft and, as an added bonus, doesn't have the same character issues that Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins had.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

8.gif

det.gif

Detroit

19523.jpg

Jonas Valanciunas

Height: 6-10
Weight: 230

Analysis: For the third straight week, the Pistons' player changes. This time, it's because of opportunity. In the past two mocks I've had Valanciunas going before the eighth pick. If he slides this far, I think the Pistons will grab him.

Yes, Detroit will also look at both Bismack Biyombo and Tristan Thompson here. But Valanciunas has two things the Pistons covet: size and major upside. They may have to wait on him a year, but many NBA scouts believe he's the most talented international player in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

9.gif

cha.gif

Charlotte

19642.jpg

Bismack Biyombo

Weight: 243

Analysis: The Bobcats are desperate for a big man who can defend the paint. Enter Biyombo. How much do we really know about him? Not much. But the Bobcats desperately need his length, athleticism, rebounding and toughness. Michael Jordan has never been afraid to take risks and, if he is sold on Biyombo, he won't be afraid to do it here either.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

10.gif

mil.gif

Milwaukee

19554.jpg

Tristan Thompson

School: Texas

Analysis: The Bucks are set at center and point guard, but could really use help at the 2, 3 or 4 position. If Thompson slides this far, it might be tough for them to pass on him.

Thompson would give the Bucks athleticism and toughness in the front court -- something they tried to address during free agency with Drew Gooden last year. He is still a work in progress on the offensive end of the ball, but he may be the best offensive rebounding forward in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

11.gif

gsw.gif

Golden State

19449.jpg

Marcus Morris

School: Kansas

Analysis: The Warriors have a lot of front court needs, especially at the 5. But without a legit center available at this point, Morris is a serious option for them. His ability to play multiple positions and score the basketball both on the perimeter and in the post, plus his maturity level, make him a great fit in Golden State.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

12.gif

uth.gif

Utah
(0.7% chance of winning lottery)

19324.jpg

Chris Singleton

School: Florida State

Analysis: With Andrei Kirilenko heading into free agency this summer, the Jazz are set to lose their most versatile defender. Enter Singleton. He's not the most polished offensive player in the world (sound familiar, AK-47 fans?), but his ability to guard multiple positions and his size for his position are intriguing for the Jazz. The question is, with Singleton rising on many draft boards … will he still be here at No. 12? Teams as high as the Raptors at No. 5 are looking at him.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

13.gif

pho.gif

Phoenix

19510.jpg

Alec Burks

Position: SG
Height: 6-6
Weight: 193
School: Colorado

Analysis: The Suns are in that awkward spot between pushing for the playoffs and rebuilding. Burks takes them decidedly on the rebuilding track. He is one of the best athletes in the draft and should be a good long-term replacement for Vince Carter if he continues to work on his jump shot.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

14.gif

hou.gif

Houston

19396.jpg

Jordan Hamilton

Weight: 229

Analysis: Hamilton was another player who really impressed in Chicago. His size and ability to shoot the basketball combined with his aggressive scoring instincts should fit well in Houston. Since trading away Shane Battier, small forward has been a need.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

15.gif

ind.gif

Indiana

19505.jpg

Jimmer Fredette

Weight: 196
School: Brigham Young

Analysis: Will Pacers fans finally get the real life version of Jimmy Chitwood? Fredette's ability to score the basketball is legendary and actually fits a need for the Pacers. In the fourth quarter of games this season, they really struggled to find a player who could hit the big shot.

I'm not sure Fredette is the point guard of the future in Indiana. He may be more of a scoring fixture (a la Ben Gordon) coming off the bench. Either way, his ability to contribute right away should give the Pacers another bump as they try to take the next step.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

16.gif

phi.gif

Philadelphia

19601.jpg

Markieff Morris

Position: PF/C
Weight: 241

Analysis: The Sixers really need a big man, and Morris, a Philly native, is the best left on the board. Morris has a rep as a good defender, shot-blocker and rebounder -- but he also proved at Kansas this year that he can step out and hit the 3. He's a bit rawer than his brother, but he's a good get at this point in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

17.gif

nyk.gif

New York

19545.jpg

Josh Selby

Weight: 195

Analysis: GM Donnie Walsh may have made the biggest mistake of his career when he passed on a number of terrific young but unproven point guards in 2009 so he could draft Jordan Hill. Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday -- and even Darren Collison, Eric Maynor and Jeff Teague -- all appear to be on their way to a long NBA career. Don't expect the Knicks to make the same mistake again.

They've been looking long and hard at Selby for a while, thinking he'd thrive in Mike D'Antoni's system, which allows guards much more freedom than they get at Kansas. Selby has lottery talent but a shaky résumé. It may be a risk taking him this high, but he has a very high upside.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

18.gif

was.gif

Washington
(via Atlanta)

19450.jpg

Klay Thompson

Weight: 206
School: Washington St.

Analysis: Nick Young is heading into free agency, and the Wizards could use another shooter in their backcourt to complement Wall. Thompson rivals Fredette as the best shooter in the draft and would be a great fit for the Wizards.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

19.gif

cha.gif

Charlotte
(via New Orleans)

19628.jpg

Marshon Brooks

Height: 6-5
School: Providence

Analysis: Brooks continued his rapid rise on draft boards with a terrific performance in Chicago. Two weeks ago, when I first wrote about him after a workout in Chicago, he sat in the mid-second round on most draft boards. Now there's talk about his ceiling being somewhere in the lottery.

For now we have Brooks going to a team that could really use an aggressive scorer. Gerald Henderson came on late in the season, but they're totally different players.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

20.gif

min.gif

Minnesota
(via Memphis)

19306.jpg

Donatas Motiejunas

Height: 7-0
Weight: 220

Analysis: The Wolves have the best group of international scouts in the NBA and if Motiejunas falls this far, I think they'd snap him up. He's an aggressive scorer and he has size -- two things the Wolves could use in the post.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

21.gif

por.gif

Portland

19371.jpg

Kenneth Faried

Height: 6-8
Weight: 225
School: Morehead State

Analysis: The Blazers fell in love with Faried last year before he withdrew from the draft. If they are fortunate enough to get a second chance at him this year, they'll grab him. His relentlessness on the boards is a nice complement to LaMarcus Aldridge's more offensive-minded style.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

22.gif

den.gif

Denver

nba_g_harris1x_65.jpg

Tobias Harris

Weight: 223
School: Tennessee

Analysis: Harris may be one of the more underrated players in the draft. He can play both the 3 and 4, and he has a very high basketball IQ and an NBA body. Harris doesn't do any one thing at an elite level, but he is one of the most well-rounded players in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

23.gif

hou.gif

Houston
(via Orlando)

19632.jpg

Reggie Jackson

Weight: 208
School: Boston College

Analysis: Kyle Lowry is coming off a career year, but Jackson would give them a very different look. Jackson is a terrific athlete, has a ridiculous 7-foot wingspan and shot the lights out his junior year. He has virtually every quality you look for in a modern NBA point guard and would likely be a good complement to Lowry.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

24.gif

okc.gif

Oklahoma City

19552.jpg

Nikola Mirotic

Weight: 226

Analysis: Sam Presti is an opportunist, and he is patient -- two critical traits in a great GM. Mirotic, based on talent, is a lottery pick. But a massive buyout means he won't be playing in the NBA anytime soon. If he stays in the draft -- a big "if" at this point -- someone will gamble on him. If it's Presti, he could be getting a major steal down the road.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

25.gif

bos.gif

Boston

19626.jpg

Nikola Vucevic

Position: C
Height:7-0
School: USC

Analysis: The Celtics need size and Vucevic was one of the players who helped his draft stock the most the past week in Chicago. His measurements were off the charts and gave teams hope he could be a legit NBA center. Given his skill in the post, he could be a steal at this point in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

26.gif

dal.gif

Dallas

nba_g_bertans11_65.jpg

Davis Bertans

Weight: 210

Analysis: It's unfair to compare any young European player to Dirk Nowitzki. But after watching Bertans shoot the lights out in practices at the Nike Hoop Summit, that's how some scouts were referring to him. Bertans doesn't have Nowitzki's size or strength and looks to be a pretty serious project. But long-term, he could be a really nice addition.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

27.gif

njn.gif

New Jersey
(via L.A. Lakers)

19635.jpg

Justin Harper

School: Richmond

Analysis: Harper fits a need for New Jersey. He is big and athletic and can shoot the ball with range. After experimenting with guys like Yi Jianlian and Troy Murphy in this role over the past few years, Harper is cheaper and has more upside.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

28.gif

chi.gif

Chicago
(via Miami)

19496.jpg

Tyler Honeycutt

Position: G/F
Weight: 187
School: UCLA

Analysis: The Bulls continue to look for long-term answers at the 2, and Honeycutt could be a really nice steal here if he slides this far. He not only has a great basketball IQ and the ability to handle the ball but is also a good shooter who can stretch the defense.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

29.gif

sas.gif

San Antonio

19575.jpg

Jeremy Tyler

Weight: 263
Team: Tokyo Apache

Analysis: The Spurs have done a good job over the years of finding young international players and stashing them overseas for a few years until they're ready. Tyler doesn't quite fit that model. He stashed himself overseas … but the point is he's got tremendous upside for a team willing to be patient with him. Given the strong reaction to Tyler at the predraft camp, I'm not sure he lasts this long on the draft board.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

30.gif

chi.gif

Chicago

19625.jpg

Charles Jenkins

Weight: 217
School: Hofstra

Analysis: The Bulls need scorers in their backcourt and ultimately need to find a backup for Derrick Rose at point guard. Jenkins' ability to play both backcourt positions is intriguing. He is big, strong, a very good shooter and one of the best pure scorers in the draft. He is a real sleeper.

laugh.gif

Chad Ford's Mock Draft 3.0
Spoiler [+]
The NBA draft combine is now behind us, and for the first time we have credible measurements, plus medical and athletic info on every prospect in the draft.

This week a number of first-round bubble players are competing in group workouts in Minnesota. From there, NBA teams will start their individual workouts in earnest.

There is still plenty of wiggle room here, as we're still a month away from the draft. But for now, here's our most informed take, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, about how the draft might play out in June.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

1.gif

cle.gif

Cleveland
(via L.A. Clippers)

nba_g_irving1x_65.jpg

Kyrie Irving

Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 191 pounds
School: Duke

Analysis: How sure are we that the Cavs will be selecting Irving? While they say they're bringing in a number of other prospects for a closer look, Irving has only scheduled Cleveland at this time. Unless the Cavs are persuaded to trade the pick, I think Irving is a very safe bet at the top. Long-term, the Cavs have needs everywhere, and Irving is the safest pick in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

2.gif

min.gif

Minnesota

19490.jpg

Derrick Williams

Weight: 249
School: Arizona

Analysis: Owner Glen Taylor said Monday that he doesn't think the Wolves will trade their pick. That will come as a pretty big surprise to a number of GMs who claim that the Wolves are already talking to teams about the pick. The problem for the Wolves is that Williams plays the same positions as their best two players -- Kevin Love and Michael Beasley.

They could trade either player (Love especially would welcome a trade), but I'm not sure Williams is an upgrade. That leaves them with dealing this valuable asset and hoping to get back a few solid veterans to stabilize the team. So that's why I'm very confident Williams will go No. 2 -- I'm much less confident on which team will actually do the drafting.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

3.gif

uth.gif

Utah
(via New Jersey)

nba_u_knight_65.jpg

Brandon Knight

Weight: 177
School: Kentucky

Analysis: The Jazz are looking at everything at this point. Trading up, trading down, trading out and then looking at a number of prospects at No. 3. Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Jan Vesely, Jonas Valanciunas and Enes Kanter are all in the mix here.

But of that group, I think Knight has the edge. The Jazz love big guards, players who can defend multiple positions, guards who can shoot the basketball and high-character players. Knight checks off most of those boxes. The rest of the group all are a bit riskier.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

4.gif

cle.gif

Cleveland

19524.jpg

Enes Kanter

Analysis: Kanter had a very good week at the Chicago combine. His measurements established him as a legit NBA center prospect. He played hard, showed he was in great shape and impressed during interviews. But there are still legitimate questions about how all those things will translate at the next level.

On one hand, he could be the best prospect in the draft. On the other, he could be yet another in a long line of international workout wonders. I do think he'll have major appeal for the Cavs. Not only does he have tremendous upside, but he is tough, can play inside and out, rebounds the basketball and has a higher basketball IQ than most kids his age. You could do a lot worse than building around Irving and Kanter.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

5.gif

tor.gif

Toronto

19415.jpg

Jan Vesely

Weight: 240

Analysis: I'm still trying to get the pulse of what's happening in Toronto. Now that Bryan Colangelo has his extension, he can afford to take more risks. The question is … who does he gamble on? Last week we had Valanciunas here. He's still in the mix, but I've been told that Vesely is even higher on his list.

A terrific athlete, Vesely is ready to play right now and adds great size to Toronto's front line. Kemba Walker is also a legit option here and if for some reason Brandon Knight falls, he won't slip past the Raptors.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

6.gif

was.gif

Washington

19534.jpg

Kawhi Leonard

School: San Diego State

Analysis: Leonard had a good week in Chicago as well. He measured with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and had the biggest hands in the camp. He also put on a brief shooting display for GMs on Friday morning, showing off a new and improved shot.

With GM Ernie Grunfeld's job hanging in the balance, he doesn't have a lot of room to take risks -- especially on international players who might not come to Washington for years. Leonard's ability to come in and provide energy, defense and length right away makes him an attractive option and a potential impact player in Year 1.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

7.gif

sac.gif

Sacramento

nba_u_walkerk_65.jpg

Kemba Walker

Height: 6-1
Weight: 184
School: UConn

Analysis: We continue to keep Walker planted here in Sacramento, though from what I can gather, Geoff Petrie is considering a number of options including trades. Petrie is in the same boat as Grunfeld. His job isn't very safe, and the past two years Petrie has opted for a "sure-thing" player who could produce in Year 1. Walker is that guy at this point in the draft and, as an added bonus, doesn't have the same character issues that Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins had.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

8.gif

det.gif

Detroit

19523.jpg

Jonas Valanciunas

Analysis: For the third straight week, the Pistons' player changes. This time, it's because of opportunity. In the past two mocks I've had Valanciunas going before the eighth pick. If he slides this far, I think the Pistons will grab him.

Yes, Detroit will also look at both Bismack Biyombo and Tristan Thompson here. But Valanciunas has two things the Pistons covet: size and major upside. They may have to wait on him a year, but many NBA scouts believe he's the most talented international player in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

9.gif

cha.gif

Charlotte

19642.jpg

Bismack Biyombo

Weight: 243

Analysis: The Bobcats are desperate for a big man who can defend the paint. Enter Biyombo. How much do we really know about him? Not much. But the Bobcats desperately need his length, athleticism, rebounding and toughness. Michael Jordan has never been afraid to take risks and, if he is sold on Biyombo, he won't be afraid to do it here either.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

10.gif

mil.gif

Milwaukee

19554.jpg

Tristan Thompson

Analysis: The Bucks are set at center and point guard, but could really use help at the 2, 3 or 4 position. If Thompson slides this far, it might be tough for them to pass on him.

Thompson would give the Bucks athleticism and toughness in the front court -- something they tried to address during free agency with Drew Gooden last year. He is still a work in progress on the offensive end of the ball, but he may be the best offensive rebounding forward in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

11.gif

gsw.gif

Golden State

19449.jpg

Marcus Morris

Analysis: The Warriors have a lot of front court needs, especially at the 5. But without a legit center available at this point, Morris is a serious option for them. His ability to play multiple positions and score the basketball both on the perimeter and in the post, plus his maturity level, make him a great fit in Golden State.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

12.gif

uth.gif

Utah
(0.7% chance of winning lottery)

19324.jpg

Chris Singleton

School: Florida State

Analysis: With Andrei Kirilenko heading into free agency this summer, the Jazz are set to lose their most versatile defender. Enter Singleton. He's not the most polished offensive player in the world (sound familiar, AK-47 fans?), but his ability to guard multiple positions and his size for his position are intriguing for the Jazz. The question is, with Singleton rising on many draft boards … will he still be here at No. 12? Teams as high as the Raptors at No. 5 are looking at him.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

13.gif

pho.gif

Phoenix

19510.jpg

Alec Burks

Height: 6-6
Weight: 193
School: Colorado

Analysis: The Suns are in that awkward spot between pushing for the playoffs and rebuilding. Burks takes them decidedly on the rebuilding track. He is one of the best athletes in the draft and should be a good long-term replacement for Vince Carter if he continues to work on his jump shot.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

14.gif

hou.gif

Houston

19396.jpg

Jordan Hamilton

Weight: 229

Analysis: Hamilton was another player who really impressed in Chicago. His size and ability to shoot the basketball combined with his aggressive scoring instincts should fit well in Houston. Since trading away Shane Battier, small forward has been a need.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

15.gif

ind.gif

Indiana

19505.jpg

Jimmer Fredette

Weight: 196
School: Brigham Young

Analysis: Will Pacers fans finally get the real life version of Jimmy Chitwood? Fredette's ability to score the basketball is legendary and actually fits a need for the Pacers. In the fourth quarter of games this season, they really struggled to find a player who could hit the big shot.

I'm not sure Fredette is the point guard of the future in Indiana. He may be more of a scoring fixture (a la Ben Gordon) coming off the bench. Either way, his ability to contribute right away should give the Pacers another bump as they try to take the next step.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

16.gif

phi.gif

Philadelphia

19601.jpg

Markieff Morris

Position: PF/C
Weight: 241

Analysis: The Sixers really need a big man, and Morris, a Philly native, is the best left on the board. Morris has a rep as a good defender, shot-blocker and rebounder -- but he also proved at Kansas this year that he can step out and hit the 3. He's a bit rawer than his brother, but he's a good get at this point in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

17.gif

nyk.gif

New York

19545.jpg

Josh Selby

Analysis: GM Donnie Walsh may have made the biggest mistake of his career when he passed on a number of terrific young but unproven point guards in 2009 so he could draft Jordan Hill. Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday -- and even Darren Collison, Eric Maynor and Jeff Teague -- all appear to be on their way to a long NBA career. Don't expect the Knicks to make the same mistake again.

They've been looking long and hard at Selby for a while, thinking he'd thrive in Mike D'Antoni's system, which allows guards much more freedom than they get at Kansas. Selby has lottery talent but a shaky résumé. It may be a risk taking him this high, but he has a very high upside.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

18.gif

was.gif

Washington
(via Atlanta)

19450.jpg

Klay Thompson

Weight: 206
School: Washington St.

Analysis: Nick Young is heading into free agency, and the Wizards could use another shooter in their backcourt to complement Wall. Thompson rivals Fredette as the best shooter in the draft and would be a great fit for the Wizards.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

19.gif

cha.gif

Charlotte
(via New Orleans)

19628.jpg

Marshon Brooks

Height: 6-5
School: Providence

Analysis: Brooks continued his rapid rise on draft boards with a terrific performance in Chicago. Two weeks ago, when I first wrote about him after a workout in Chicago, he sat in the mid-second round on most draft boards. Now there's talk about his ceiling being somewhere in the lottery.

For now we have Brooks going to a team that could really use an aggressive scorer. Gerald Henderson came on late in the season, but they're totally different players.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

20.gif

min.gif

Minnesota
(via Memphis)

19306.jpg

Donatas Motiejunas

Height: 7-0
Weight: 220

Analysis: The Wolves have the best group of international scouts in the NBA and if Motiejunas falls this far, I think they'd snap him up. He's an aggressive scorer and he has size -- two things the Wolves could use in the post.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

21.gif

por.gif

Portland

19371.jpg

Kenneth Faried

Weight: 225
School: Morehead State

Analysis: The Blazers fell in love with Faried last year before he withdrew from the draft. If they are fortunate enough to get a second chance at him this year, they'll grab him. His relentlessness on the boards is a nice complement to LaMarcus Aldridge's more offensive-minded style.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

22.gif

den.gif

Denver

nba_g_harris1x_65.jpg

Tobias Harris

Weight: 223
School: Tennessee

Analysis: Harris may be one of the more underrated players in the draft. He can play both the 3 and 4, and he has a very high basketball IQ and an NBA body. Harris doesn't do any one thing at an elite level, but he is one of the most well-rounded players in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

23.gif

hou.gif

Houston
(via Orlando)

19632.jpg

Reggie Jackson

Weight: 208
School: Boston College

Analysis: Kyle Lowry is coming off a career year, but Jackson would give them a very different look. Jackson is a terrific athlete, has a ridiculous 7-foot wingspan and shot the lights out his junior year. He has virtually every quality you look for in a modern NBA point guard and would likely be a good complement to Lowry.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

24.gif

okc.gif

Oklahoma City

19552.jpg

Nikola Mirotic

Weight: 226

Analysis: Sam Presti is an opportunist, and he is patient -- two critical traits in a great GM. Mirotic, based on talent, is a lottery pick. But a massive buyout means he won't be playing in the NBA anytime soon. If he stays in the draft -- a big "if" at this point -- someone will gamble on him. If it's Presti, he could be getting a major steal down the road.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

25.gif

bos.gif

Boston

19626.jpg

Nikola Vucevic

Height:7-0
School: USC

Analysis: The Celtics need size and Vucevic was one of the players who helped his draft stock the most the past week in Chicago. His measurements were off the charts and gave teams hope he could be a legit NBA center. Given his skill in the post, he could be a steal at this point in the draft.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

26.gif

dal.gif

Dallas

nba_g_bertans11_65.jpg

Davis Bertans

Weight: 210

Analysis: It's unfair to compare any young European player to Dirk Nowitzki. But after watching Bertans shoot the lights out in practices at the Nike Hoop Summit, that's how some scouts were referring to him. Bertans doesn't have Nowitzki's size or strength and looks to be a pretty serious project. But long-term, he could be a really nice addition.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

27.gif

njn.gif

New Jersey
(via L.A. Lakers)

19635.jpg

Justin Harper

School: Richmond

Analysis: Harper fits a need for New Jersey. He is big and athletic and can shoot the ball with range. After experimenting with guys like Yi Jianlian and Troy Murphy in this role over the past few years, Harper is cheaper and has more upside.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

28.gif

chi.gif

Chicago
(via Miami)

19496.jpg

Tyler Honeycutt

Position: G/F
Weight: 187
School: UCLA

Analysis: The Bulls continue to look for long-term answers at the 2, and Honeycutt could be a really nice steal here if he slides this far. He not only has a great basketball IQ and the ability to handle the ball but is also a good shooter who can stretch the defense.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

29.gif

sas.gif

San Antonio

19575.jpg

Jeremy Tyler

Weight: 263
Team: Tokyo Apache

Analysis: The Spurs have done a good job over the years of finding young international players and stashing them overseas for a few years until they're ready. Tyler doesn't quite fit that model. He stashed himself overseas … but the point is he's got tremendous upside for a team willing to be patient with him. Given the strong reaction to Tyler at the predraft camp, I'm not sure he lasts this long on the draft board.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

30.gif

chi.gif

Chicago

19625.jpg

Charles Jenkins

Weight: 217
School: Hofstra

Analysis: The Bulls need scorers in their backcourt and ultimately need to find a backup for Derrick Rose at point guard. Jenkins' ability to play both backcourt positions is intriguing. He is big, strong, a very good shooter and one of the best pure scorers in the draft. He is a real sleeper.

Back
Top Bottom