NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Bass didn't even list Dallas as his final three choices LOL.
Because he knew there wouldn't be money/room for him if we signed Gortat.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Marcin WANTS to go to Dallas more than he wants to be in Orlando, and Smith may not allow him to, and force him to sit behind Dwight? Poor move as a GM.
You're right about that. I'm sure any guy would want to start on a playoff team. But, he could have a chance at a ring, while making the same money if he stayed in Orlando. He mentioned that he wouldn't be that mad because he would be on a good team regardless.

"I have a feeling now they (Magic) are going to match it,'' Gortat saidFriday between Summer League Games. "That's what I'm hearing, they will match. We'll have to see, but I'm kind of downright now. Either way, I'll end up on a pretty good team.''http://

Although Gortat is guaranteed the same money on either team, his development as a player could be greatly effected if he remains in Orlando.

"I want to develop my game and become a better player,'' he said. "I justdon't know if I'd be getting the same minutes to play here as in Dallas.''

Of course he'll end up on a good team, but, Jordan Farmar is on a good team too, he doesn't want to chase a ring, he's young, he wants to improve,he wants to HELP a team.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2...-match-mavs-offer-sheet/

Apparently, even after signing Bass, ORL is considering matching the Mavs offer.

It would be an EXTREMELY low-blow from the Magic to the Mavericks if this happened. We let them get a 10 million dollar trade exception for letting them in the Marion deal, we let them get Bass, and now they're thinking of matching the offer for Gortat? That's a scumbag move if Smith matches...
Scumbag move? Hardly.
1) We let them into the Toronto deal so they didn't lose Turkoglu for nothing.
2) We let them get Bass, we wouldn't have allowed them to get Bass if we would get Gortat
3) If they turn around and match the offer, it's going to be hard to find a team for them to deal with in the future unless the price is right.
indifferent.gif

It's a scumbag move to try and make your team better? He's a restricted free agent, they are entitled to match any offer that Gortat gets. The Mavs didnot "let" Orlando into that 4-way deal. The "trade" was between the Raps and Magic, a trade that benefited both teams (increased cap roomfor both clubs). The Raps were going to sign Hedo but did not have cap room to sign anyone else afterwards. The Raps were letting Marion go as a result of theHedo signing. The Mavs wanted Marion but did not have the cap room to give Marion the money he wanted. Without the help of Orlando and Memphis, the Raptorswould not have had the cap room they do now and the Mavs would not have had their man in Shawn Marion. This was one of the rare occasions in the NBA where atrade benefited each participant.

A big man making $5 mill/yr can be easily traded in the NBA.

I dont know if this has been posted yet,
Chicago would insist that the Blazers surrender young guard Jerryd Bayless, which Portland is reluctant to do.
From ESPN, regarding the whole 3-team fiasco that, who knows, might not even be real.

Wonder if Portland would actually do this trade.

I am in total pessimism mode until we get Gortat, or he signs with the Magic.

Otis Smith, you're on the hit-list.

Originally Posted by 18key

Chicago would insist that the Blazers surrender young guard Jerryd Bayless, which Portland is reluctant to do.
From ESPN, regarding the whole 3-team fiasco that, who knows, might not even be real.

I'm wondering this too, I mean Bayless is going to be something else but do they want to wait around? I would like to say that there is no way in hell wewould give up Bayless but lately I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted by mistah majestic

Originally Posted by 18key

I'm wondering this too, I mean Bayless is going to be something else but do they want to wait around? I would like to say that there is no way in hell we would give up Bayless but lately I'm not so sure.

Pritchard, is that you?
nerd.gif
roll.gif

DoBeDoo.........Come on maaaaaan.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You think so little of me that I would beleive that crap? That was from aconvo a few days ago.
wink.gif

Marcin WANTS to go to Dallas more than he wants to be in Orlando, and Smith may not allow him to, and force him to sit behind Dwight? Poor move as a GM.
No, it's a great move by him. He gets a starting center for a Western contender to be his backup center in addition to Bass? It's ano-brainer for most GMs.

It might not make Gortat happy from a development standpoint but at the end of the day that's just the way the NBA works.

I think if Orlando matches for Gortat they should try him out at the 4 spot starting. The Magic were very good when he and Dwight shared the floor. Shard movesback to the 3, and you have Bass off the bench for the 4/5.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

No, it's a great move by him. He gets a starting center for a Western contender to be his backup center in addition to Bass? It's a no-brainer for most GMs.

It might not make Gortat happy from a development standpoint but at the end of the day that's just the way the NBA works.
There's a reason why teams are willing to deal with San Antonio so often, it's because there's a lot of respect for the GMs.

Yes it's smart from him to make his roster loaded, sure. But he's not making his players happy. You're making other GMs catch wind that he'sdoing dirty business.

He's going to have a lot of unhappy players in Orlando the way he's going..
grin.gif

No, it's a great move by him. He gets a starting center for a Western contender to be his backup center in addition to Bass? It's a no-brainer for most GMs.

There's a reason why teams are willing to deal with San Antonio so often, it's because there's a lot of respect for the GMs.

Yes it's smart from him to make his roster loaded, sure. But he's not making his players happy. You're making other GMs catch wind that he's doing dirty business.

grin.gif

Damn man, this Gortat thing really got you locked up. Turk left because he wanted 50 million dollars, not because the Magic mistreated him.

What other dirty moves has Smith pulled to upset anybody? They were all pretty happy a few weeks ago when he got VC.
ohwell.gif

Bayless talk is smoke and mirrors.

They're gonna give up Bayless to get back Hinrich? Chicago doesn't even want Boozer, ie, they don't want to extend him for so much money long term.

Utah is about to be in full trade mode trying to unload Boozer in the next 7 days.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Yes it's smart from him to make his roster loaded, sure. But he's not making his players happy. You're making other GMs catch wind that he's doing dirty business.

grin.gif
Damn man, this Gortat thing really got you locked up. Turk left because he wanted 50 million dollars, not because the Magic mistreated him.

What other dirty moves has Smith pulled to upset anybody? They were all pretty happy a few weeks ago when he got VC.
ohwell.gif
Turkoglu left because he wanted money, Dallas let them get involved so they could get away from Turk and not leave empty handed. The Maverickscould have EASILY found another trade partner to make this trade go down. The trade was between Memphis, Mavericks, and Toronto, and Orlando was added late. Welet them get involved, and got the deal done.

They're spending 50 million dollars now between Gortat and Bass if they get him, but we gave them cap flexibility.

I'm not saying he's done any other dirty moves, but we did business the proper way with Bass. He was an UFA, and Gortat is a RFA, I know that. But welet him go because he wanted a bigger role, a role he'll get in Orlando. Gortat WANTS to come to Dallas so he can have a larger role, that's clear.Otis Smith may keep him on his leash because he doesn't want to lose him for nothing, even though we just helped him get a 10 million dollar tradeexception? Then he could turn around and trade him to a team like Houston who needs a big man?

And Big J, Gortat is upset. He wanted to go to the Mavericks, the moneys the same, but the role isn't. It doens't matter about winning or losing ifhe's going to make a bigger impact somewhere rather than smoewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom