NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by mistah majestic

BLAZERS OFFER MILLSAP CONTRACT
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4320029

eyes.gif

Utah will probably end up matching that anyway. I thought they were planning on making some "big" offer that would make Utah say no. This reminds meof when Memphis offered Josh Smith his deal and most people knew ATL would match.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Bayless talk is smoke and mirrors.

They're gonna give up Bayless to get back Hinrich? Chicago doesn't even want Boozer, ie, they don't want to extend him for so much money long term.

Utah is about to be in full trade mode trying to unload Boozer in the next 7 days.
They're gonna be scrambling to match the offer.

From Rumor Central

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1703
[h3]TRADES: Boozer 3-way deal dead?[/h3]
Carlos Boozer | Jazz | Interested: Pistons? Bulls? Trail Blazers? Jazz?
ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard updated the NBA's story of the day on the noon edition of Sportscenter by stating the proposed three-way trade between the Utah Jazz, Portland Trail Blazers and Chicago Bulls centered around Carlos Boozer is dead. At least in its current incarnation.
Broussard quoted Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard as saying bluntly that it's "not going to happen," despite his team's strong desire to bring in G Kirk Hinrich from Chicago.

Speculation is that the Jazz will continue to try and deal Boozer in order to free up the cap space to retain Paul Millsap. Broussard also suggested one possible match could be with Detroit, with Richard Hamilton entering the mix.

Pritchard won't give up Bayless. Once again, overvaluing his players.
laugh.gif

They've been involved in damn near every single free agent, trade, rumor, everything, and he won't pull the trigger. All praise the great andwonderful.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Marcin WANTS to go to Dallas more than he wants to be in Orlando, and Smith may not allow him to, and force him to sit behind Dwight? Poor move as a GM.
No, it's a great move by him. He gets a starting center for a Western contender to be his backup center in addition to Bass? It's a no-brainer for most GMs.

It might not make Gortat happy from a development standpoint but at the end of the day that's just the way the NBA works.
There's a reason why teams are willing to deal with San Antonio so often, it's because there's a lot of respect for the GMs.

Yes it's smart from him to make his roster loaded, sure. But he's not making his players happy. You're making other GMs catch wind that he's doing dirty business.

He's going to have a lot of unhappy players in Orlando the way he's going..
grin.gif

Where are you getting this information on the Spurs? Aside from the Jefferson trade, the Spurs haven't made a significant trade in years. They've madevery smart draft picks and signings but not trades. Even if teams did deal with the Spurs because they like them, it's not as if the trades were hugetransactions.

And if I'm Otis Smith, I'm just trying to put out the best team possible and keep my job. Other GMs might shake their heads - assuming there is somekind of agreement, which I doubt - but most of them would do the same thing to keep their jobs. These guys aren't out to make friends, they're there towin.

I would also be willing to bet that team chemistry is not going to be an issue if the team starts winning. Gortat got paid and that's usually enough. Andif team chemistry is a problem, that's on Van Gundy, not Smith.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Marcin WANTS to go to Dallas more than he wants to be in Orlando, and Smith may not allow him to, and force him to sit behind Dwight? Poor move as a GM.
No, it's a great move by him. He gets a starting center for a Western contender to be his backup center in addition to Bass? It's a no-brainer for most GMs.

It might not make Gortat happy from a development standpoint but at the end of the day that's just the way the NBA works.
There's a reason why teams are willing to deal with San Antonio so often, it's because there's a lot of respect for the GMs.

Yes it's smart from him to make his roster loaded, sure. But he's not making his players happy. You're making other GMs catch wind that he's doing dirty business.

grin.gif
Damn man, this Gortat thing really got you locked up. Turk left because he wanted 50 million dollars, not because the Magic mistreated him.

What other dirty moves has Smith pulled to upset anybody? They were all pretty happy a few weeks ago when he got VC.
ohwell.gif
Turkoglu left because he wanted money, Dallas let them get involved so they could get away from Turk and not leave empty handed. The Mavericks could have EASILY found another trade partner to make this trade go down. The trade was between Memphis, Mavericks, and Toronto, and Orlando was added late. We let them get involved, and got the deal done.

They're spending 50 million dollars now between Gortat and Bass if they get him, but we gave them cap flexibility.

I'm not saying he's done any other dirty moves, but we did business the proper way with Bass. He was an UFA, and Gortat is a RFA, I know that. But we let him go because he wanted a bigger role, a role he'll get in Orlando. Gortat WANTS to come to Dallas so he can have a larger role, that's clear. Otis Smith may keep him on his leash because he doesn't want to lose him for nothing, even though we just helped him get a 10 million dollar trade exception? Then he could turn around and trade him to a team like Houston who needs a big man?

And Big J, Gortat is upset. He wanted to go to the Mavericks, the moneys the same, but the role isn't. It doens't matter about winning or losing if he's going to make a bigger impact somewhere rather than smoewhere else.

But what role is he going to have in Dallas? Start, and that's it. Dampier is the same guy.

He still not gettin shots over Dirk, Jet, or JHo, Marion and Kidd will have the ball/get touches, Barrea and Gortat would be fightin for 4th-5th man statusevery night.

That's not THAT much of an improvement from ORLD. There he gets to work against D12 everyday, get better that way, and maybe get 20-25 minutes a night. For the same money. Gortat got nothin to be mad about.

From Rumor Central

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard updated the NBA's story of the day on the noon edition of Sportscenter by stating the proposed three-way trade between the Utah Jazz, Portland Trail Blazers and Chicago Bulls centered around Carlos Boozer is dead. At least in its current incarnation.
Broussard quoted Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard as saying bluntly that it's "not going to happen," despite his team's strong desire to bring in G Kirk Hinrich from Chicago.

Speculation is that the Jazz will continue to try and deal Boozer in order to free up the cap space to retain Paul Millsap. Broussard also suggested one possible match could be with Detroit, with Richard Hamilton entering the mix.
laugh.gif

They've been involved in damn near every single free agent, trade, rumor, everything, and he won't pull the trigger. All praise the great and wonderful.
laugh.gif

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would trading Boozer for Rip help Utah in terms of matching Millsap's offer? They will still have aloaded contract on their hands with Rip.

Memphis please don't be stupid. PLEASE make a move to take on Boozer's contract and give them some flexibility to re-signMillsap.
mad.gif

4 yrs/$32-36m for Millsap?

What %*%!*## position is he going to play?

And who the !#*$ cares about Bayless?

What the !#*$ are the Blazers doing?

From Rumor Central

laugh.gif

They've been involved in damn near every single free agent, trade, rumor, everything, and he won't pull the trigger. All praise the great and wonderful.
laugh.gif

That's the trade Portland needs to make. Bayless for Hinrich. We dont need an undersized shooter... we need a good point guard that can runthe team, instead of leaving Roy to do everything.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

4 yrs/$32-36m for Millsap?

What %*%!*## position is he going to play?

And who the !#*$ cares about Bayless?

What the !#*$ are the Blazers doing?

What I'm saying! We have a frontcourt set. What the #@+@ would Millsap do? Come off the bench when Oden racks up fouls? We have Joel for that.

Japan, I know Gortat would be upset, I was just asking that because you said Otis is going to have a lot of unhappy players if he continues to act like this,and that's where I disagree.

Gortat wants to get the chance to develop and showcase his skills and I understand that, but short of him, I don't see how they're going to upset manyother people.

I still say if they match for Gortat then start him at the 4 and see how that plays. Bass and Anderson as backups and that's a strong 4/5.

grin.gif
Damn man, this Gortat thing really got you locked up. Turk left because he wanted 50 million dollars, not because the Magic mistreated him.

What other dirty moves has Smith pulled to upset anybody? They were all pretty happy a few weeks ago when he got VC.
ohwell.gif
Turkoglu left because he wanted money, Dallas let them get involved so they could get away from Turk and not leave empty handed. The Mavericks could have EASILY found another trade partner to make this trade go down. The trade was between Memphis, Mavericks, and Toronto, and Orlando was added late. We let them get involved, and got the deal done.

They're spending 50 million dollars now between Gortat and Bass if they get him, but we gave them cap flexibility.

I'm not saying he's done any other dirty moves, but we did business the proper way with Bass. He was an UFA, and Gortat is a RFA, I know that. But we let him go because he wanted a bigger role, a role he'll get in Orlando. Gortat WANTS to come to Dallas so he can have a larger role, that's clear. Otis Smith may keep him on his leash because he doesn't want to lose him for nothing, even though we just helped him get a 10 million dollar trade exception? Then he could turn around and trade him to a team like Houston who needs a big man?

And Big J, Gortat is upset. He wanted to go to the Mavericks, the moneys the same, but the role isn't. It doens't matter about winning or losing if he's going to make a bigger impact somewhere rather than smoewhere else.

But what role is he going to have in Dallas? Start, and that's it. Dampier is the same guy.

He still not gettin shots over Dirk, Jet, or JHo, Marion and Kidd will have the ball/get touches, Barrea and Gortat would be fightin for 4th-5th man status every night.

That's not THAT much of an improvement from ORLD. There he gets to work against D12 everyday, get better that way, and maybe get 20-25 minutes a night. For the same money. Gortat got nothin to be mad about.
A starting gig, a majority of the minutes at the Center position night-in and night-out, potential to get another contract further down the line.

Let's be real, Dwight isn't going anywhere. If he signs a 5 year deal with ORL, he's not getting ANY minutes behind Dwight. Gortat is not a PF.

Gortat would have a PG in Kidd to start with that will set him up in the post. Do you know who got the majority of the looks for Gortat last year in theFinals? JJ fricking Redick.

It's the fact that he has a chance to prove himself, which he will have about a 5x better opportunity to do in Dallas, because Dampier is almost 10 yearsolder than him, and cost half as much.

Gortat in Dallas is a double-double, 25-30 minute a night starter...

If you watched games and saw how many opportunities Kidd created for Dampier that Damp fumbled outta bounds or throw layups off the top of the glass, you'dknow damn well Gortat is gonna have a chance here to impact games offensively as long as he can catch the ball and finish around the rim...

In Orlando, he's Dwight's backup, probably looking at 20ish minutes a night, much the same way Bass was here in Dallas...

Guys that age aren't concerned as much about winning... They want the opportunity to play MAJOR minutes... They don't want to sit on anybody'sbench. They don't want to be somebody's backup... They've got plenty of time to win championships later down the line...

And you've gotta think, though the Mavericks didn't heavily pursue Bass, they would have been a hell of a lot more aggressive with them if they had anyinkling Orlando was going to match this Gortat offer... It ain't often teams go out like this and pull the rug out from under another team. It's notnecessarily dirty, because it's within their rights, but it still ain't good business in NBA circles, regardless how you wanna look at it...

I don't believe they're gonna match it, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me... Just don't get why you'd be cool paying luxury tax forGortat and Bass now that the cap has shrunk, but you were apparently allergic to the notion a week ago when people thought the cap was rising...

That's the thing though with Bayless, to get Hinrich, Portland is gonna end up giving more than they should to make salaries match. Whether its dealingwith Chicago straight up or in a 3 team deal. And Hinrich is rumored to get dealt every year. At least we know Hinrich can play alongside Rose. Getting Baylessfor them is like taking a step back.

I agree that Millsap doesn't do much for the Blazers.

"It just doesn't look like they are going to pay all of that money to a backup player who plays 10 minutes a night," Gortat said from the OrlandoPro Summer League, where he's been a spectator all week. "(The Bass signing) explains a lot to me and it looks like I've got to get ready for atrip to Dallas."

A quote from Gortat today.

Ugh, my head hurts.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13262

Chester, at least Portland is putting their money to good use like signing backups and screwing around with your 2 cornerstones. Feel better about that. Ido.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I really, really cannot see them matching that contract... Just don't add up, given everything we heard about them being weary about paying major luxurytax bills as little as a week ago...

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

what is gonna happen with Aldridge

We'll trade him to the Suns for Steve Nash.
The proposed deal to keep Nash in Phoenix is believed to be for three years at approximately $33 million.

Does Portland still want Conley, so he can help bring out the best in Oden?
laugh.gif

i think the blazers know that the jazz are gonna do what it takes to keep millsap... so the jazz are gonna have to get rid of boozer for less then what theywanted..
the blazers still havent signed Roy yet.... maybe they are just playing hard ball to let him know/think that he dont run nothing.. like lebron does for thecavs...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I really, really cannot see them matching that contract... Just don't add up, given everything we heard about them being weary about paying major luxury tax bills as little as a week ago...
Yeah, I don't either, but I just have a real bad feeling about Otis Smith and his intentions.

He could turn around and trade Gortat in three months for someone like Battier.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Dampier 33
Dirk 31
Marion 31
Howard 29
Kidd 36

grandpa status
laugh.gif
They better then the Spurs though.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I wouldn't underestimate a healthy Spurs team

Parker, Ginobli, Jefferson, Mcdyess, Duncan
smokin.gif

Chester, at least Portland is putting their money to good use like signing backups and screwing around with your 2 cornerstones.

smh.gif

And people calling dude a "great GM" because he makes draft day exciting. He really worked that Raef contract last season, didn't he?

Back
Top Bottom