NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Whoa, ya'll got Matt Carroll? When did this happen?
laugh.gif

Didn't that dude light us up a few years back with the Bobcats I think?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
that's how we got rid of Diop's contract (that's how we got Ryan Hollins as well).

[h1]Clippers in 'very serious' talks with Allen Iverson[/h1]

48043252.jpg

Email Picture

Gregory Shamus / Getty Images

Free-agent guard Allen Iverson split his time between Denver and Detroit last season.

The 34-year-old free-agent guard, the NBA's MVP in 2001 but coming off a disappointing season, also has been pursued by Miami and Memphis this summer.

By Lisa Dillman
July 14, 2009

Reporting from Las Vegas -- Talks between the Clippers and free-agent guard Allen Iverson have been characterized as "very serious," according a source close to Iverson who was not authorized to speak publicly about the negotiations.

The Clippers have long been intrigued by Iverson, having come close to acquiring him in the past.

As recently as last week, however, their interest in him was considered more of a long shot.

The Clippers were also waiting to see what would happen with their trade that sent Zach Randolph to Memphis, but that deal is scheduled to be completed Friday.

Iverson is looking at the $5.8-million mid-level exception for next season, and one of his other potential suitors, the Miami Heat, is reportedly unwilling to offer more than $2 million for one season.

Until now, the team expressing the most interest in Iverson was Memphis, but team owner Michael Heisley was quoted today in the Commercial Appeal as saying he thought the Grizzlies were a last resort for Iverson.

Iverson, who turned 34 last month, was traded from Denver to Detroit last season and had a disappointing season for the Pistons. He also caused a flap during the spring when he said he didn't want to come off the bench for the Pistons.

Iverson averaged a career-low 17.5 points in 57 games for Denver and Detroit. He won the NBA MVP award in the 2000-01 season.

eyes.gif

@%#+ the blazers

this is just a bully move tryin to screw the jazz. what do they need him for when they already have LA and all their other forwards. millsap is redundant onthat team. portland needs guard help and should be trying to sign andre miller.

at least now the jazz cant sit on their #!%%%. match sap, get rid of loozer, and figure out a deal where kirk hinrich or any other free agent isnt in portland.id love to see a deal where tyrus thomas comes to utah.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Ehhhhh.

He gonna take away minutes from E Gordon?

Iverson, Davis, Camby, Kaman

Gordon, Thorton, Jordan, Griffin

Are they trying to run two teams at the same time, or what the @#$% are they up too?
eyes.gif

Are we young, are we old, rebuilding, win now? What the hell?

Forgot about Ryan Anderson too.

The Magic are willing to overpay Gortat as a backup, go into the luxury tax, do whatever's necessary to win.

Shard at the 3 does eliminate the mismatch he had in his favor at the 4 against slower PFs, but they can still slide him down there and throw Peaches at the 3at times if they want to take advantage.

Watching the Magic all season it was beyond frustrating to never see Dwight get rebounding help, and it made sense since they're a 3 point shooting team,but stil... Turk and Rashard were afraid to get in there and grab boards. Bass and keeping Gortat gives them much needed rebounding help and a great frontcourtwith D12, Gortat, Bass, and Anderson.

Big move by ORL to keep Gortat, even if they end up trading him, still a good move. Just go and get another 2/3 for the bench and you're all set.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

My feelings right now...

2mfiuj8.gif
I'll buy a pair of hacksaws, I'll join you, dinner is on me. We can even have some dessert too.

As for AI, the Clippers sure do love them some unmotivated guards.
laugh.gif

Jameer
VC
Shard
Bass/Gortat
Dwight

Parker
Ginobili
RJ
TD
Dyess

Rondo
Ray
Pierce
KG
Sheed

Kobe
Artest
Odom
Pau
Fisher
Bynum

Mo
Delonte
Jabron
Z
Shaq
Varejao

The Clippers trying to pursue AI isn't a good look because Heisley really wants the guy. He can easily pull the plug on that Z-Bo deal if they trying tocompete by getting him.

I bet the Magic will more often than not end their games with a line up of Howard, Lewis, Pietrus, Carter and Nelson.

ORL officially made themselves better than us again. Yes, without Turkey Jordan, Skip To My Lou, Courtney Lee, Battie AND THE POLISH HAMMER, we were betterthan them for the time being. Cot Damn!
mad.gif
smh.gif
...& to know Gortatisn't happy there.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

The really ******ed thing is, they want to keep him as an asset, but they aren't going to get GREAT value for him, his contract isn't nearly enough,and now they're going to be deep in the salary tax, and Orlando's pockets aren't bottomless like some teams.

It's not a smart move by the Magic. They won't get anywhere near equal value for Gortat IMO. Look what they had to give up for Vince. Although they hadstockpiled talent and Skip wasn't effective, he's still arguably a starting PG, then a starting SG (possible all-star in the future?
nerd.gif
), and a goodback-up Center. And then they'll still have to pay roughly 30 million in luxury, for a guy who's a back-up to your superstar.

That's my thing too, JA...

If your intention is to trade him, you still aren't gonna get good value without packaging him with one of your premier guys... They just don't havethe contracts to make it work...

If they don't trade him, you're paying huge dollars for a back up that'll play 20 minutes a night...

I don't get it... Not financially, anyways...

I thought they were already the best team in the East sans Gortat after they signed Bass...

AI on the clippers?
eek.gif
roll.gif

i would get season tickets to watch that train wreck

bobcats are the only team i see AI working with and thats still slim. MAYBE Miami cause wade and Riley could try and put him in check but thats still slimsince him and wade play the same type of role

How is Orlando not going to get "equal" value for him?

They were going to lose him for NOTHING if they didn't match. At least now they can get something back in return.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

That's my thing too, JA...

If your intention is to trade him, you still aren't gonna get good value without packaging him with one of your premier guys... They just don't have the contracts to make it work...

If they don't trade him, you're paying huge dollars for a back up that'll play 20 minutes a night...

I don't get it... Not financially, anyways...

I thought they were already the best team in the East sans Gortat after they signed Bass...
I just think it's poor management. It seems like they're willing to spend money but just because you spend money doesn't guarantee youresults. You never know when guys are going to fall off the face of the earth, word to Stephon, Francis, etc.

And a lot of so-called "Mavs fans," are placing the blame on our front office. I completely disagree, they're busting their balls, they gotGortat to sign an offer-sheet, that's better than 29 other teams did with the hands-down best free-agent Center out there (minus maybe Sheed).

The only flaw in what they did is they could have tried to delay Bass from signing with Orlando, because I honestly don't think he signs with them if heknew that Gortat was coming back. Hell, anyone with a brain didn't think they'd match, deep down. But Otis Smith did, for whatever reason.

MY whole gripe is you got a guy who wants to play with another team, for quite a bit of money. Smith is stockpiling talent, but what are you going to do withall of that?

They're going to turn into the Sacramento Kings. Egos will overcome their success, because Stan Van isn't a GREAT coach, they'll fight for minutes,people will ask to get traded, you won't get equal in return.

Think about it, the Kings were in a similar situation. They had a really good core, really good front-court, good shooters, good scorers, great role players,that team was stacked with potential, but what are you going to do with all that talent?

If they really want to win a championship IMO, Dwight has to develop his post moves a lot more, become a CONSISTENT threat, work on his free throws, because ifyou want to win a ring with a Center as your center-piece (no pun intended), you have to be completely dominant.

You look to GM's like Buford, Colangelo, Buss, Presti, for an example of how to run a franchise.

The magic had to match they have no Depth behind D12 if he gets hurt or foul trouble. they got Bass fine but he cant guard centers.

lewis is still a mismatch at SF because he is bigger and stronger the most SF

Gortat will get over going back to the magic just like countless NBA players had before this.

Bass can defend Centers good enough. I still have nightmares about what he has done to Yao the past two seasons. 1-5 Orlando has to have THE strongest teamphysically, if they really wanted to focus on defense they could absolutely be a championship team.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

The magic had to match they have no Depth behind D12 if he gets hurt or foul trouble. they got Bass fine but he cant guard centers.

lewis is still a mismatch at SF because he is bigger and stronger the most SF

Gortat will get over going back to the magic just like countless NBA players had before this.
There's no doubt, but you couldn't get that cheaper?

You could have gotten a back-up for about 2 million a year.

I mean really, someone like Francisco Oberto would have sufficed, Tony Battie was JUST FINE before Gortat came around IMO.

It just seems like overkill.

You want to trade him, sure, that's fine, but you're going to have to wait till Mid-December, and any team that's going to NEED a center won'tsend you back a decent Center.

IMO they needed to build on their backcourt depth. Their front-court is fine, but if they were to go up against someone like Denver in the Finals, they'retoast.

They were fine before, I agree they needed to trade Skip, but you got rid of Courtney Lee too, and that's going to be the problem they face when makingdeals, they can't just throw out a guy like Skip if they want someone in return. They had to get rid of Courtney Lee too.

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!! WE AINT GOING NOWHERE!!! DONT SLEEP ON US THIS UPCOMING SEASON. The NBA better take notecause we got no other place to go but up.

Originally Posted by EDWeeNO

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!! WE AINT GOING NOWHERE!!! DONT SLEEP ON US THIS UPCOMING SEASON. The NBA better take note cause we got no other place to go but up.
lolwut.

laugh.gif

No, not really, you aren't the Grizzlies/Clippers.

Back
Top Bottom