NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Damn.....What does NJ have to offer for Paul?

Would they be able to get Paul and keep Lopez in the process?

Harris is locked up right? NO wouldn't want to take on a contract like he earns, so they would need a third team to move Harris too.

But CP3, Bron, and Lopez is a nice start to somethin. I like.
laugh.gif

Who cares if Paul is or isn't gonna get moved soon, this is a rumor thread, it's @#$%*& dreamland in here.
pimp.gif

the only asset ny has to offer NO is mobley's insured contract.
if all they're looking for is cap relief, ny can do mobley+cash, but other then that, ill be like VC3 and admit theres no way in hell we're landingpaul.

If it came down to New Orleans having to trade Chris Paul, I could see a move to New Jersey.

Let's say the Nets suck enough next year to land a top 5 pick (totally possible). Wouldn't a package revolving around Devin Harris (relative bargain at$8M a year), the lottery pick and Terrence Williams be enticing? Throw in Chris Douglas-Roberts and Yi Jianlin too. If they traded Paul, New Orleans woulddefinitley take part in a salary dump, but they at least get cheap, young talent in this proposal. As long as New Jersey kept Brook Lopez (potential 20-10center) and Courtney Lee (surefire HOF), while getting Paul wouldn't they be the darkhorse for LeBron's services?
nerd.gif

Okay, time to stop playing armchair GM
laugh.gif

Well in that scenario they'd keep Lopez and have (some) cash to throw at one of the FA's...not totally far-fetched I guess.

All I care about is that Kahn is goin over to try and get the kid Rubio here. He already said he's cool with playin in Minny, we just gotta fig that buyoutdeal out.

Originally Posted by Wings90

Wait, there's a chance NO might deal CP3?

Naw, just people speculatin that at some point NO so cheap and so tight with money, that they'll need to move him and get a bunch of expiring deals andwhat not for him. They've never actually said as such, just us all bored comin up with dream scenarios.

It's not like Bron to the Knicks, that's a lock.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Why you guys think I gave them who I did? 3 guys that are all young, but expiring/low year deals. They can either re-sign them to keep, or let them walk and have no cap hits. Works out perfect no?

Throw a draft pick in, extra player, whatever, but they aren't going to get any major stars for CP3, so Bayless/LA/Outlaw + pick works out best on the table.

And ya'll buggin if you don't think West would be next to go if they trade Paul. Why keep West and pay him a bunch of money based off inflated numbers from a PG who will no longer be there. Hence, the usefulness of LA.
wink.gif
Wow, a lot to touch on since I last checked in this morning. First, CP is right (did I really just say that?). If NO truly is looking to dumpsalary then they would not be taking any stars back, because salary comes with those stars. That would completely defeat the purpose of shedding a contract.Portland has the most cheap talent to offer and could throw in Aldridge or Oden, depending on who the Hornents would want (I wouldnt care), along with anyoneelse not named Roy. I don't think any other team could match that, plus Pritchard has long claimed that he wanted to draft Paul back in 06 and has longcoveted him.

BUT...
indifferent.gif
to CP... I remember making claims a while back that NOmight need to shed a contract like CP3 and all you did was give me the ole
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
about it in terms of Portland trading for him, saying itwas all pipe dreams (which it was, and still is). But cmon, now your making trade proposals to bring him to Portland?
roll.gif

Session Over AI for the Clipps?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090716

nba_g_sessions1_sw_576.jpg
Gary Dineen/Getty ImagesMaybe Sessions instead of Iverson is the answer for the Clippers.

LAS VEGAS -- Here is the latest assemblage of chatter culled from conversations with a variety of knowledgeable sources -- front-office executives, coaches,players and agents -- camped at the NBA's annual summer league here in Vegas.

The distinct vibe in the stands at UNLV's Cox Pavilion is that the Clippers -- apart from owner Donald Sterling -- would greatly prefer to add more of aset-up man to a backcourt rotation that already features Baron Davis and emerging starEric Gordon as opposed to signing Allen Iverson to a one-year deal up to the full $5.9 million midlevel exception.

The top choice in that scenario? Extending an offer sheet to restricted free agent Ramon Sessions.

Yet as we covered here Wednesday, Sterling wants aticket-seller if he's going to spend. Winning the draft lottery and the right to select Blake Griffin with the No. 1 overall pick apparently resulted in the sale of only a fewhundred extra season-ticket packages.

With Miami clearly focused on other targets, most notably Carlos Boozer via tradeand exhausting every last hope of bringing Lamar Odom back, Iverson appears to have nooption that can trump Clipperland in terms of money and market.

Yet questions persist about Iverson's willingness to accept a reserve role from L.A. or Memphis -- even if those teams are still willing to pay him inthe $5 million range next season -- after Iverson famously said he'd retire if his next team asked him to come off the bench.

In more definitive transaction news involving the Clippers, L.A. has offered a coaching position to famed skills guru Tim Grgurich in hopes of convincingGrgurich to walk away from longtime boss George Karl. The Nuggets are working to convince Grgurich to stay.

--Im a big AI fan but i dont think he'll fit with the Clipps

Portland isn't the only team with cheap young talent though.

The Randolph trade still hasn't be finalized. It suppose to be done today, but I haven't heard a whisper about it. I can only hope Memphis is lookingat other options.

2czd9mv.jpg

Something funny, I am pretty sure Chris Paul is in Portland today because of an event Carmelo Anthony was hosting that also had Dave Chappelle and a few otherbig names at.

[h1]Wade to Lamar Odom: 'Come home' to Miami Heat[/h1]
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer 3 hours, 38 minutes ago

Dwyane Wade(notes) spent much of his rookie season picking Lamar Odom's(notes) brain on all aspects of the NBA game, everything from playing tips to travel advice.

He hopes those chats start again soon.

The Miami Heat, who traded Odom to the Los Angeles Lakers five years ago in the trade that brought Shaquille O'Neal(notes) to South Florida, have made the free agent forward an offer to return and help Wade once again. The team has not revealed terms of the offer, although it's believed to be a five-year package that could be worth around $35 million.

"I want Lamar to do what's best for him and his family because we love him as family, but on the other hand, we want him back home, to come home," Wade said Friday in a telephone interview. "His house is still there. It'd be exciting to see what happens."

Odom averaged 17.1 points-the second-highest average of his career-in 80 games with the Heat during the 2003-04 season. He's spent the past five years with the Lakers, who pulled their contract offer to Odom earlier this week, a move that doesn't necessarily mean the two sides won't resume talking. Odom, 29, was a significant contributor to the Lakers' championship run this year.

The Heat went 42-40 that season with Odom, winning 17 of their final 21 regular-season games and earning the No. 4 spot in the Eastern Conference. That summer, Miami traded Caron Butler(notes), Brian Grant and Odom to the Lakers for O'Neal, who helped Wade and the Heat win a championship two years later.

Wade, who has asked the Heat to make some roster upgrades with hopes of getting back to the championship level, said he doesn't need to call Odom to lobby for his return.

"Lamar already knows how I feel," Wade said. "I really don't know how to feel. He's really taken time to deal with it, sit back. It's a very important decision in his life. It could be about where he ends his career."

The Heat have also been linked to a potential trade involving Utah forward Carlos Boozer(notes), another close friend of Wade and his teammate from the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Friday that Miami "has not entered talks … but is monitoring" the Boozer situation.

Over his 10-year career, the versatile 6-foot-10 Odom has averaged 15.1 points and 8.8 rebounds.

"Lamar and I always had a great relationship," Wade said. "He's always been the guy, one of the guys, that I thought really helped me as a young player."

Couple of things -

My Simmons, YI, trade was pure a joke but would probably be the start to make money work. Also, devin still has another four years left on his contract whichpays him just over 9 mil in the last year of the deal. (more of a reason why Dallas was killed for the trade.) Devin with a pick and filler would be the firstmove the Nets make. then go from there when they are rejected.

Lee would not be moved but you guys forget CDR also. He kinda gets lost in shuffle of Devin, Lee, TWill, etc.

Lopez and Lee are pretty untouchable unless the lakers want to offer Kobe or cleveland wants to offer LBJ (Ok not that bad but you get the picture of how theNets feel about those two.)

The knicks comment was just in general, i know they have nothing but Chandler and the C*ck and something tells me they should hold on to those two.

Finally, Marc stein is saying that the Nets might be the third team involved in any boozer deal due to their trade exception. Boozer would not be going therebut they would get a player within the deal.

Originally Posted by JONFARR

Originally Posted by CP1708

Why you guys think I gave them who I did? 3 guys that are all young, but expiring/low year deals. They can either re-sign them to keep, or let them walk and have no cap hits. Works out perfect no?

Throw a draft pick in, extra player, whatever, but they aren't going to get any major stars for CP3, so Bayless/LA/Outlaw + pick works out best on the table.

And ya'll buggin if you don't think West would be next to go if they trade Paul. Why keep West and pay him a bunch of money based off inflated numbers from a PG who will no longer be there. Hence, the usefulness of LA.
wink.gif
Wow, a lot to touch on since I last checked in this morning. First, CP is right (did I really just say that?). If NO truly is looking to dump salary then they would not be taking any stars back, because salary comes with those stars. That would completely defeat the purpose of shedding a contract. Portland has the most cheap talent to offer and could throw in Aldridge or Oden, depending on who the Hornents would want (I wouldnt care), along with anyone else not named Roy. I don't think any other team could match that, plus Pritchard has long claimed that he wanted to draft Paul back in 06 and has long coveted him.

BUT...
indifferent.gif
to CP... I remember making claims a while back that NO might need to shed a contract like CP3 and all you did was give me the ole
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
about it in terms of Portland trading for him, saying it was all pipe dreams (which it was, and still is). But cmon, now your making trade proposals to bring him to Portland?
roll.gif

You should say it more, it happens a lot.
wink.gif

And I
indifferent.gif
you because you were serious, I'm just throwin ideasout there. We all know Pritch wouldn't do the deal because he would demand West, and Posey, and Chandler, and Peja and try to keep Bayless, that's howhe is.
laugh.gif

COULD PAUL BE TRADED?

New Orleans star point guard Chris Paul insisted he was serious when he said there's a chance he soon could betraded.

Paul was interviewed Thursday by Pro Basketball News, and asked about his team's financial situation. The Hornets are staring at being well over theluxury tax, and might have to dump some big contracts.

"In this league, anything can happen," said Paul, at the summer league to watch his Hornets. "I can be dealt."

Paul then was asked that surely he can't be serious he could be traded.

"It's possible," he said. "It's possible."

The Hornets made a move last February to save money by dealing center Tyson Chandler to Oklahoma City. However, the trade ended up being rescinded afterhealth concerns surfaced regarding Chandler.

Paul is hopeful the Hornets will end up retaining their key players, but knows nothing is certain.

"Right now, it looks like the same cast," he said. "But, if something happens, it happens. ... Me and (forward James Posey say to one anotherthat) we've got to work with what we've got and go out and play hard."

Posey hopes the Hornets won't end up again dealing Chandler.

"You never want to see it," Posey said. "But I'm a player and my job is to go out there and play hard. ... You can't control thatpart of it (the Hornets' money situation). You've got to control what you can."

As I said in the Lakers thread, Odom better know for sure if Wade stayin. Look awfully stupid to sign with Miami and then their #1 bails next season.

Odom does know for a fact that the Lakers core will be there for the next 2-3 years, he needs to think about that.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by heat23

COULD PAUL BE TRADED?

New Orleans star point guard Chris Paul insisted he was serious when he said there's a chance he soon could be traded.

Paul was interviewed Thursday by Pro Basketball News, and asked about his team's financial situation. The Hornets are staring at being well over the luxury tax, and might have to dump some big contracts.

"In this league, anything can happen," said Paul, at the summer league to watch his Hornets. "I can be dealt."

The Hornets made a move last February to save money by dealing center Tyson Chandler to Oklahoma City. However, the trade ended up being rescinded after health concerns surfaced regarding Chandler.

Paul is hopeful the Hornets will end up retaining their key players, but knows nothing is certain.

"Right now, it looks like the same cast," he said. "But, if something happens, it happens. ... Me and (forward James Posey say to one another that) we've got to work with what we've got and go out and play hard."

"You never want to see it," Posey said. "But I'm a player and my job is to go out there and play hard. ... You can't control that part of it (the Hornets' money situation). You've got to control what you can."
Is it a possibility he could be traded? Of course, but the Hornets are not going to do that unless they get a lot of young talented players inreturn.

Originally Posted by BangDak

sessions would be an great fit, but that means bdiddy might be gone sooner then we think.
Sessions would be a great pick-up but I'm almost positive the Bucks will match any offer for him.

I'm giving B. Diddy a chance to redeem himself for last season and I think he'll be here to stay. I guess we'll find out this season whether ornot that's a good thing.

at the end of the day nobody really believes wade is leaving sunny south beach, young talent there and will only add more next year

Is it a possibility he could be traded? Of course, but the Hornets are not going to do that unless they get a lot of young talented players in return.

Which isn't very hard to give away knowing you're getting a 24-year old superstar. It would kinda remind me of all the players Boston gaveup to get KG who was already old. I really think any young team could easily pull CP3 away from NOH unless they were looking to take away 3-4 of their bestplayers along with picks.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

at the end of the day nobody really believes wade is leaving sunny south beach, young talent there and will only add more next year
Your Bulls don't have money this offseason? Thought they wanted to push for Wade hard to pair him with Rose. Letting Gordon walk had to helpin that direction didn't it?

Originally Posted by heat23

[h2]Paul Believes Hornets Could Deal Him[/h2]
Paul_Chris_noh_090427.jpg

Jul 17, 2009 9:05 AM EST

noh_40.gif
Chris Paul believes that the Hornets could trade him because of their financial situation.

New Orleans is set to be over the luxury tax, and might have to bite the bullet and deal away some big contracts.

"In this league, anything can happen," Paul told Pro Basketball News on Thursday. "I can be dealt."

Paul was then asked if he seriously thought he could be dealt.

"It's possible," he reiterated. "It's possible."

Via Pro Basketball News

COULD PAUL BE TRADED?

New Orleans star point guard Chris Paul insisted he was serious when he said there's a chance he soon could be traded.

Paul was interviewed Thursday by Pro Basketball News, and asked about his team's financial situation. The Hornets are staring at being well over the luxury tax, and might have to dump some big contracts.

The Hornets made a move last February to save money by dealing center Tyson Chandler to Oklahoma City. However, the trade ended up being rescinded after health concerns surfaced regarding Chandler.

"Right now, it looks like the same cast," he said. "But, if something happens, it happens. ... Me and (forward James Posey say to one another that) we've got to work with what we've got and go out and play hard."

"You never want to see it," Posey said. "But I'm a player and my job is to go out there and play hard. ... You can't control that part of it (the Hornets' money situation). You've got to control what you can."

I swear y'all hear anything negative about the Hornets it is the end. Sorry for all you Heat/Laker/Portland fans

[h3]New Orleans Hornets president Hugh Weber says there's no way Chris Paul will be traded[/h3] [h4]Posted by John Reid, The Times-Picayune July 17, 2009 11:14AM[/h4]
Categories: Hornets

medium_5Denver10.jpg
Michael DeMocker/The Times-PicayuneWhile in Las Vegas, Chris Paul told a reporter he wouldn't rule out the possibility of being traded.

While watching the Hornets' summer league team play Thursday night in Las Vegas, Chris Paul told a reporter there's chance he soon could be traded.

With the luxury tax threshold set this upcoming season at $69.92 million and the Hornets' current payroll at $78.8 million, they are desperate to dump salaries to avoid having to pay the tax penalty next summer.Due to its financial limitations, New Orleans is the only team in the Southwest Division that has yet to acquire a player through free agency or by a trade to improve its roster this offseason.
http://
"In this league, anything can happen,'' Paul told Pro Basketball News. "I can be dealt. It's possible. It's possible.''

In response Friday, Hornets President Hugh Weber said the possibility of them trading Paul is zero.

"There is no chance of him getting traded,'' Weber said sternly. "I don't know how to say it any stronger, but there is just no deal we would contemplate for Chris. I can't speak for Chris, but I think he was talking about the nature of the business and the fact that the question was asked the way it was.''

Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower said from Las Vegas Friday morning he is investigating many things in regard to free agency and possible trades to improve the roster, but he said trading Paul would not meet any of those objectives.

"I have not nor will I enter any discussions for him,'' Bower said."(Trading Paul) is not going to happen. I think what Chris said just shows his selflessness that he's not different than anyone else on the team.''

Paul signed a three-year contract extension that included an option for a fourth year last summer. Paul's contract is valued at $68 million when the fourth year is included.

Back
Top Bottom