NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Does this trade give Utah cap space/luxury tax relieve?

Riles better not be sleeping on this trade and only focused on LO only to loss both (which I doubt).

Yeah I dunno how the numbers work for Utah. That's why I dunno how credible this thing is.

I do know after signing Okur to a 2 year extension, if they do this deal, Okur, Battier and Landry will come off the books at the same time, ie, after 2010-11.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

What do NYK fans want the team to do? Add some players and limit cap space in order to make a run at 7th or 8th in the East and get demolished in the 1st round?

The team has been crap for a while now, 1 more year wont be so bad. This time next year you'll have another lottery pick on the roster along with boatloads of cash to throw at free agents. July 2010 isn't that far off.
sign a pg if we can get rubio, such as andre miller or sessions. why not prove to those major FAs that we can make it to the playoffs withouttheir help, and with their help, we can actually contend for a higher spot?
we dont have our first round draft pick as well like duba stated.
and no-no to that 3way trade proposal. rockets are getting raped big time imo. they still dont fufill their need at the 5 (TT is not a 5) and i thought theyliked laundry
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BangDak

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

What do NYK fans want the team to do? Add some players and limit cap space in order to make a run at 7th or 8th in the East and get demolished in the 1st round?

The team has been crap for a while now, 1 more year wont be so bad. This time next year you'll have another lottery pick on the roster along with boatloads of cash to throw at free agents. July 2010 isn't that far off.
sign a pg if we can get rubio, such as andre miller or sessions. why not prove to those major FAs that we can make it to the playoffs without their help, and with their help, we can actually contend for a higher spot?
we dont have our first round draft pick as well like duba stated.
and no-no to that 3way trade proposal. rockets are getting raped big time imo. they still dont fufill their need at the 5 (TT is not a 5) and i thought they liked laundry
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

NY might as well get Rubio off their mind completely anyways.
laugh.gif

I thought James Jones was on the Heat????? Wasn't he in the Heat/Hawks series when he hit a couple 4 point plays?

How he end up in Houston?

They gotta mean JWhite don't they?

I'm so confused.
laugh.gif

OC, relax B, Chester on vacation, so I'm handling things on overbearing Cavs riders for a bit in his absense. If you think I forgot all them posts ofyours talkin down the Lakers and gassin up your overrated team, forget it. I ain't Roger, I don't misremember.
laugh.gif

James Jones is a Bull, and he would end up in Utah. I read there's a rookie named Jerome James? Maybe he ends up in Utah instead.

All I know is, this thing better have legs. I'm all for it if Utah includes NY's pick.

Hey guys, got the a pre-sale code for the All-Star game if your interested.

NJNSTH

What the Nets sent me. Probably going with one of the fly down packages they have so this pre-sale of tickets does me no good with no hotel or flight. (thepackage costs 1200 w/ tickets to the game, flight, hotel from sunday to monday, shuttle from airport to hotel and game and back, a tour, the whole nine forfour people) The flight alone for four people cost me 1750 through orbitz to fly from Newark.

tickets start at $25

Going on now so look if you want.

[h2]Sources: Nash re-ups with Suns[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

After receiving an improved offer last week and taking a few more days to deliberate, two-time NBA Most Valuable Player Steve Nash notified the Phoenix Suns over the weekend that he is accepting the Suns' two-year extension offer worth an estimated $22 million, according to team sources.

592.jpg

Nash

Sources told ESPN.com that Nash is expected to formally announce his decision via his Twitter feed later Monday.

The Suns offered Nash a two-year, $20 million extension two weeks ago in addition to the $13.1 million he's owed next season, then bumped it higher in a meeting in Las Vegas last Wednesday attended by Suns owner Robert Sarver, president of basketball operations Steve Kerr and Nash's agent Bill Duffy.

Although signals had been getting stronger in recent days that Nash would inevitably accept an improved proposal from Sarver -- including a Twitter message in the early hours of last Thursday from teammate Jared Dudley that Nash would be "signin that ext anyday" -- it has been a nervy wait this month for the Suns, who have made no secret that securing Nash's long-term future was their No. 1 priority this offseason.

One team official confirmed that the Suns were aware that Nash strongly considered the idea of playing out his contract next season, which would have enabled him to join the ballyhooed free-agent class of 2010 and possibly move to the New York Knicks to reunite with former coach Mike D'Antoni. Nash, though, ultimately opted for security with the franchise that drafted him out of Santa Clara in 1996 and gave him the platform to earn the nickname "Two-Time" from teammates with his back-to-back MVP seasons in 2005 and 2006 after leaving the Dallas Mavericks to rejoin the Suns in the summer of 2004.

"This is one of the hardest-working and most resilient athletes to have ever played in the NBA," Duffy said of Nash, who has hushed fears about his durability by playing in an average of 77 games over the five seasons of his second stint with the Suns. "He earns every penny."

Nash's public comments this month on negotiations generally gave Phoenix hope that he was prepared to spend the next three seasons in the desert -- which would take him to age 38 -- in spite of the Suns' recent slide in the West. During the recent opening of his latest Steve Nash Sports Club in his native Canada, Nash said: "I still believe in everybody there and still think we can build a winner."

In the same interview, though, Nash also mentioned the "financial constraints" that prompted the Suns to trade Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland (for the expiring contracts of Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic) after O'Neal's first and only full season as a Sun resulted in a 46-36 record that featured the midseason firing of coach Terry Porter and a failure to make the playoffs.

"We maybe don't have the deep pockets of some of the other teams," Nash said, hinting at what sources close to the process described as his concerns about the Suns' ability to reload roster-wise during the span of his new deal to return Phoenix to the Western Conference elite.

The Suns, though, made it clear to Nash that they would refuse any outside trade interest, even if he insisted on playing out his current contract to have the right to shop himself in the summer of 2010, when D'Antoni undoubtedly would have made a hard push to try to lure Nash to the Knicks in free agency.

Sources say Portland never got close in recent weeks with its determined push to convince Phoenix to part with a package of young players for Nash, who then would have received a contract richer than the deal he ultimately accepted from the Suns.

In addition to re-signing Nash, Phoenix has drafted Earl Clark, signed free-agent forward Channing Frye, re-signed Nash's close friend Grant Hill and bought out Wallace this offseason. It remains to be seen how the future of Suns forward Amare Stoudemire plays out from here, with sources indicating that the club has not ruled out trading Stoudemire after exploring the possibility in February before the league's annual trading deadline and again in June in conjunction with the draft.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Originally Posted by bright nikes

laugh.gif
I love how you act like I'm not a Cavs fan.

laugh.gif
Son you're a LeBron slurper first, Cavs fan second.

Wrong. I was a Cavs fan yeaaaars before anyone heard of LeBron.

But since Bron, he's taken over as your priority number 1. I have faith in you to remain a Cavs fan when Bron goes to NY, but you been on a rampage forthe last 2 years or so, talkin bout "nother level" and "play that D" and all kinda other nonsense when it comes to that kid. Beinteresting to see if you maintain that in the blue and orange.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

laugh.gif
I love how you act like I'm not a Cavs fan.

laugh.gif
Son you're a LeBron slurper first, Cavs fan second.

Wrong. I was a Cavs fan yeaaaars before anyone heard of LeBron.

laugh.gif
I'm not questioning your Cavaliers fanhood (
sick.gif
)

You just activated your slurp-mode once LeBron put you guys on the map.

You probably bought his puppet just to make love to it.

So let's talk. Sarver is widely known as a cheap idiot, he's sold the draft rights to Deng, Rondo, Rudy F, Sergio, Nate Rob, and prolly more I'mforgetting.

He probably won't dish out the money to keep Amary.

But he's got briefcases full of money for a 35 year old bum destined to remain mediocre throughout his entire playing career.

Sarver is not a smart man. Plain dumb really.
smh.gif

I know Mike, but I'm a hater and am not thinking clearly on this topic right?
laugh.gif

Cavs update, for any fellow CAVS fans
laugh.gif

I talking to Mike Malone today, it's clear that he is transitioning quickly into Mike Brown's right hand on the bench.

He's definitely begun the process of getting what he wants to have at his disposal in terms of roster flexibility conveyed to Mike Brown and Danny Ferry.

Although we are not going to be changing our mode of operation offensively, I think it's safe to say that the new Cavalier offense will be one that looks to run more when the opportunity presents itself.

He wants to deliver an offense that looks more to create easy baskets off the oppositions misses. This is to look to capitalize on Shaq's abilities with the outlet pass, but also to take advantage of the players on the roster that have always shown the propensity to work much more effectively at a faster pace.

The challenge for us will be to find ways to keep our defensive intensity at the high level and priority that Mike Brown will still demand.

One way to bring the offense along as more uptempo, and maintain our defense first mindset, is to effectively limit the minutes of our players far more. Of course we're always going to want to have the luxury at our disposal to use Lebron the 40+ minutes we could need him for against the top level competition we face. But, the reaminder of the roster could see none of our other starters seeing much in excess of 30 minutes per night.

By keeping our minutes under control, and utilizing our roster depth, we can more effectively
burn our candle at both ends. Demanding we remain focused and high energy on the defensive end, but also take advantage of run opportunities far more often than we have in past seasons.

With our success, we are being looked at as one of the leagues model organizations. With that comes the inevitiable reality that when opportunties come up in other organizations, we will see our team raided for talents much like John Kuester was most recently with the Detroit Pistons.

Mike Malone is now being regarded as one of the leagues fastest rising, and brightest coaching
minds. He's had opportunties to lead some top college programs in the past, which he has resisted due to his desire to groom himself for opportunties at the NBA level.

I don't believe it will be too far down the road that Mike Malone is going to be getting the opportunities to be an NBA head coach. Losing him, would be a far greater, and deeper loss to this team than John Kuester will be. Granted, his loss WILL be felt and he was a top level coach in this league. In many respects, I feel that Mike Malone could eventually ascend to a much higher level than Mike Brown ever will.

Already he seems to demonstrate in-game abilties to read and react to things happening on the court in real time, that Mike Brown in four years experience leading on the bench still struggles with much more than even Malone at this point.

From what I was told regarding the decision to offer Jamario Moon a contract, it really came together very quickly, and was formulated and executed within an 18 hour time frame.

It was just a coming together of three sets of circumstances that lead to it needing to happen quickly, and at a time when it would have hte best chance to succeed. That being the Cvaliers need to find a suitable, defensive minded, highly athletic and versatile backup to Lebron James, that could also project in other key roles on our team. To us, Jamario Moon fit that profile to a tee.

Then word came via NBA player circles, and through Mo's camp down in Mississippi, that the interest level was high on the player''s end, so it materialized nad was executed on the fly, and to all sides satisfaction.

Of course, we don't know for sure if this deal will go through yet. The ball is in Miami's court right now, but all initial signals are that Moon will most likely be signed, sealed, and delivered to the Cavaliers next week.

What his addition does, is offer us more roster flexibility in terms of future trade opportunities that may make them selves available to us. We have numerous players, with contracts that can look good to teams looking to reduce their costs, that may have value on the open market.

One thing Danny Ferry and his staff have been very adept at is in understanding the market, and the principles of supply and demand. The only contract in the years after his initial plunge into the free agent market in his first year on the job here, that came in at a level that raised eyebrows as possibly being on the high side was Varejao's. But, even that one, given his importance to us as a young, versatile, and defensive minded big man that can play either center or pf, and also has the ability to defend players at positions beyond those, makes him a very valuable asset to us.

Also, in regards to contracts that Danny has signed onto our team, they all have their contracts structured in a way that they are more valuable as trading assets in their later years, than they would be a rostered players. Which serves the purpose of always being able to maximize the talent level we look to give up in future trades. Due to the structuring of the player's contract, we not only get a player now that helps serve a roster need, but, we also insure down, down the road, that the pipeline of talent will continue to be fed by attractive contracts we have in our possession. That we can, in effect, continue to "trade up" as we proceed down the road.

We are blessed, as an organization, to have an owner that is willing to spend what it takes to succeed and win. But, also we have a GM that spends the aviailable monies cautiously, smarty, and within a long term plan of always maximizing every cent we spend so that it not only can benefit us now, but even more in the longterm.

As good as we are now, we haven't had to martgage our future at all to reach this level either. We are being set up very intelligiently, to win for not just now, but for years and years to come.

^
Man, that article is garbage. I could pick that article apart but don't feel like getting another team added to my hater label by Mike.
laugh.gif

Model franchise.
roll.gif
roll.gif

He should tweak the last sentence, to win not just now, but win just regular season games for years to come.
laugh.gif

again, this is the off-season thread. no one cares about how you want to run your team.
and your owner better spend what it takes to win because he knows damn well once lebron leaves that team is going back to the rock bottom.
and cp, i bet I could do a better job running that franchise then sarver and kerr
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

franchise where the hell do you get this info you post? cause half the time i think know one has seen the storys you post on
laugh.gif

what the !!+% are the suns doing?

Originally Posted by CP1708

^
Man, that article is garbage. I could pick that article apart but don't feel like getting another team added to my hater label by Mike.
laugh.gif

Model franchise.
roll.gif
roll.gif

He should tweak the last sentence, to win not just now, but win just regular season games for years to come.
laugh.gif

It ain't an article smart guy. Anything else you wanna assume?

Nash is the face of the franchise, and the offense, style of play predicates on him. That's why they re-upped him.

Me personally, I would've begun to blow up that team already and if not, let Amare and Nash's number come off the books after this year and go aftersome big FA's.

Originally Posted by CP1708

^
laugh.gif

Model franchise.
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

It ain't an article smart guy. Anything else you wanna assume?

laugh.gif

Wow. So you posted a non article in a rumors thread, that had no rumors in it? Way to be playa
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom