NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
Kevin Martin is a borderline franchise player, but would be a really good second option for a championship team.

21v2ig.jpg

Kevin Martin falls under the "I'm the best player on a crappy team" category.

Unless he's paired with LeBron, he should not be anything more than a third option on a contending team.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

^
Man, that article is garbage. I could pick that article apart but don't feel like getting another team added to my hater label by Mike.
laugh.gif

Model franchise.
roll.gif
roll.gif

He should tweak the last sentence, to win not just now, but win just regular season games for years to come.
laugh.gif

It ain't an article smart guy. Anything else you wanna assume?

laugh.gif

Wow. So you posted a non article in a rumors thread, that had no rumors in it? Way to be playa
roll.gif

???

Somebody didn't eat their Wheaties this morning. Cranky and off base.

Take a break folk.

For cognizant people, the post is from a Cavaliers scout who works closely with the team.

Did too......
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
ouch
laugh.gif
that'll shut him up for the rest of the off-season
roll.gif
...nowonder why no one wants to play for cleveland
nerd.gif
wink.gif

Was Reggie Miller a franchise player?

How about Ray Allen?

How about Micheal Redd?

How about anybody on those Pistons championship teams?

The difference between those guys (who at some point in their careers were considered borderline franchise players or second options) and Kevin Martin isnegligible,

IMO, If you can score the ball at a certain level of productivity and efficiency. I believe you can build around that. I'm not saying Kevin Martin is someall time NBA player, or that i what you should do, but throughout NBA history there is precedent for winning with Kevin Martin type guys as your"franchise player".
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

How about Ray Allen?

How about Micheal Redd?

The difference between those guys (who at some point in their careers were considered borderline franchise players or second options) and Kevin Martin is negligible,

IMO, If you can score the ball at a certain level of productivity and efficiency. I believe you can build around that. I'm not saying Kevin Martin is some all time NBA player, or that i what you should do, but throughout NBA history there is precedent for winning with Kevin Martin type guys as your "franchise player".
grin.gif
Even Kevin Martin himself wouldn't dare make such ridiculous claims.

Bassy got traded to The Clips to make room....dunno if this was posted.

MINNEAPOLIS -- On the same day that he left for Spain to discuss Ricky Rubio's buyout with DKV Joventut, Minnesota Timberwolves president David Kahn traded the only veteran point guard he has on his roster.

Was Kahn clearing room for Rubio by sending Sebastian Telfair and forwards Mark Madsen and Craig Smith to the Los Angeles Clippers for Quentin Richardson?

"This is not a precursor of any sort," Kahn said Monday from New York shortly before he was scheduled to hop a flight across the Atlantic. "We have no feel yet as to whether Ricky will be joining us."

703.jpg

Richardson

Rubio has a multimillion-dollar buyout of his contract with Joventut that threatens to keep him in Spain for another season, or possibly two. Kahn hopes to lower the number -- which could go as high as $6.6 million -- to make it easier for the 18-year-old point guard to join the Timberwolves this season.

The deal, which was first reported by YahooSports.com, also ends Minnesota's glut at power forward. Smith was a capable scorer off the bench for the Wolves, but he had trouble getting consistent playing time behind Al Jefferson and Kevin Love.

For the Clippers, Telfair is another play-making point guard behind Baron Davis. Smith can put points on the board quickly, while Madsen has shown the same hustle and chemistry in the locker room that he did when he played for the rival Lakers.

"We are really excited to add these three players to our team," Clippers general manager and coach Mike Dunleavy said. "This move really gives some much needed depth."

The Clippers thinned their ranks of big men by trading Randolph, leaving No. 1 draft pick Blake Griffin, Chris Kaman, Marcus Camby and DeAndre Jordan to compete for playing time in the middle.

The deal gives the Clippers some options later, too. Madsen and Smith are in the final year of their contracts while Telfair has a player option for 2010-11 at a modest $2.7 million.

Richardson has one year remaining on his contract at $9.3 million and gives Minnesota a veteran presence at shooting guard that was not there after they traded Randy Foye and Mike Miller to Washington in June.

Rookie Wayne Ellington was the only true shooting guard on the roster before the Wolves acquired Richardson.

"I felt we needed to start addressing some of the roster imbalances that were created as part of the Wizards trade and this is a step toward that," Kahn said. "If we want to add another player, we now have a place to do that."

After selecting point guards Rubio and Jonny Flynn back-to-back in the first round of the NBA draft last month, Telfair's days with the Timberwolves appeared to be numbered.

"Because of how the point guard situation may evolve, and this doesn't have anything to do with Rubio per se, I sensed that playing time for Sebastian would wane over the next few years," Kahn said.

It had already started to wane for Madsen, whose hustle and geniality made him a fan favorite in six seasons in Minnesota, a place he said felt like home. He was a valued leader for a young team that is rebuilding.

"That's going to be the hardest thing, leaving the locker room," Madsen told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "There were some very, very special relationships that you'll always have. I'm definitely going to miss these guys as players and as people."

It won't be a totally new start for him. He'll be accompanied by two teammates to a city he knows well. Madsen spent the first three years of his career playing for the Los Angeles Lakers before signing with Minnesota in 2003.

"How do I feel about the trade???" Love tweeted. "Well ... We lost a lot of good men out there."

Smith, despite being undersized at 6-foot-6, averaged 10.1 points in less than 20 minutes a game last season. He grew up in Los Angeles, starring at Fairfax High School before leaving to play at Boston College.

Telfair averaged 9.8 points and 4.6 assists last season in the first year of a three-year extension. In Los Angeles, Telfair will serve as the quality backup to Baron Davis that the team lacked last season.

"I'm going going back back to Cali, Cali," Telfair posted on his Twitter account, referencing a popular hip-hop song. "Just got traded to clippers. I'm a little upset becuase (sic) I love Minnesota but I think I will be happy in LA also."

Richardson averaged 10.2 points and 4.4 rebounds last season for the New York Knicks. This is the third time the shooting guard has been traded this summer. He went from the Knicks to Memphis in a deal for Darko Milicic in June, then was shipped from the Grizzlies to the Clippers for Randolph last week.

edit - see it was talked about, no article tho.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

I live in Sacramento and Kings fans generally act like Kevin Martin is the next Kobe Bryant or T-Mac, talent wise.

He's not much more than another one-dimensional two-guard. They should trade him while his value can still get them something.
I question your statement considering you live in Sacramento and have a Kobe avy... Oh yeah, forget what I just said. And forget what you saidtoo. No one in Sacramento thinks Kevin Martin is as talented as Kobe or T-Mac. Now working hard and work ethic, that is a different story. Dude works hard inthe off-season to get better every year and hopefully he will be injury free this season. Going to the gym at 6:30AM and at night is no joke. Word to Kobe.

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

How about Ray Allen?

How about Micheal Redd?

The difference between those guys (who at some point in their careers were considered borderline franchise players or second options) and Kevin Martin is negligible,

IMO, If you can score the ball at a certain level of productivity and efficiency. I believe you can build around that. I'm not saying Kevin Martin is some all time NBA player, or that i what you should do, but throughout NBA history there is precedent for winning with Kevin Martin type guys as your "franchise player".
grin.gif
Even Kevin Martin himself wouldn't dare make such ridiculous claims.
From the original article about Kevin Martin today...

"People can say what (they) want; that's fine with me," said Martin, who averaged 24.6 points per game on 42 percent shooting in his fifthseason. "(But) I could go to the mirror and look at myself. I'm out there playing on one leg, averaging 25 (points per game) on one leg, and you cansay what you want.

"It's all about winning. That's one thing I've learned. If we were in a 40-win season with my same kind of stats, you could say, 'Oh,he's an All-Star, one of the best two-guards in the league,' stuff like that. So it's just a point of getting the team on the same page and gettingback there to winning a lot."

Kevin Martin is the real deal. 25 points per game on 16 field goal attempts? Leading the league in free throws made per game at 9 above Dwayne Wade andLebron's 7? Being 2nd in the league in free throw attempts per game only to Dwight Howard? 6 gamewinners including one against San Antonio in the playoffs?Hitting 50? He's only 26 years old. Yes all he can really do is score, but he's the most efficient at it in the league statistically. Plus a lot ofplayers people worship on this board are one-dimensional. The Kings don't trade him unless Tyreke Evans proves he's the second coming of Dwayne Wade,AND we can get an all-star in return. Until then, we're in "we'll see" mode. I hope it works and I hope we can get Joe Johnson in 2010. Thatway even if Evans can't be a viable point guard we could still have a distributor. Assuming everyone continues to develop, I think this lineup can make theplayoffs in 2010-2011.
PG-Evans
SG-Martin
SF-Johnson
PF-Thompson
C-Hawes

Kevin Martin is not a borderline franchise player. He's an efficient scorer and is an "All-Star".

If he ever learns how to pass the ball and play D. Then he'll be a DAMN good 2nd option.

If we trade him, I think it defeats the purpose of rebuilding.
grin.gif

Agree with the above. He reminds me of Pau in Memphis before they became a playoff team. People never called him an allstar before then, but he was just asaffective as he is now. He's just utilized differently.

nah Kevin Martin is nice, but like someone said he's just got to be utilized properly. he'd be a great secondary option on a good team, he justisn't a #1 option/franchise kinda guy

Looks like Nash is goin to take an extension with the suns
ohwell.gif
I wantedhim in NY in 2010
eyes.gif
grin.gif
ohwell.gif
frown.gif

At least now I can buy his jersey knowing hes not goin any where
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

Stein reporting Barnes and the Magic have basically agreed to a 2 year deal.

Orlando going all out
STACKED
sick.gif

Howard, Bass, Lewis, Carter, Nelson, Gortat, Anderson, Pietrus, Barnes, Redick, Johnson.

Plus the trade exception from the Turkoglu sign-and-trade.

Borderline franchise guy.

If Ray Allen, Mike Redd, Reggie Miller, were considered franchise players then I think you can look at Kev the same.

I keep saying, I dont see no way Orlando isnt back in the finals next year. Wouldnt be surprised if they win it all either. All depends on D12's will toexpand his offensive game this offseason tho...

I have feeling knowing Van Gundy

Howard
Lewis
Barnes
Carter
Nelson

Gortat
Bass
Pietrus
Reddick
Johnson

Anderson better get burn out there or it just makes me more angry we dumped him in the VC deal.

Back
Top Bottom