NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Gooden to Dallas, one year 4/4.5M deal.

David Lee returning to the NY Post.

Dude wasn't gonnna get $10M. Yahoo is saying Nate Robinson is be back on the Knicks 1yr/$5M. Pacers going after Ryan Hollins too.

[h2]Heisley: Iverson ToMemphis Not Likely[/h2]
Jul 26, 2009 9:22 AM EST

mem_40.gif
Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has cleared up speculation that their decision not to bring Hakim Warrick back means they are close to signingAllen Iverson.

"Absolutely not," Heisley said Saturday. "Iverson wasn't even part of the conversation."

Memphis renounced their $3 million qualifying offer to Warrick, clearing up additional cap space late last week.

"I think we decided we wanted some flexibility," Heisley said. "But the idea that there is a target is completely false. As for Iverson, Ithink he's trying to get with a team like L.A. (Clippers) or Miami or someone like that.

"Frankly, I've tried to tell everybody that I don't think we're at the top of Iverson's list, but no one wants to listen. All it is,we're basically opening up cap room for us."

Via Memphis Commercial Appeal
[h2]Nate Close To 1-Year DealWith Knicks[/h2]
Jul 26, 2009 9:52 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
Nate Robinson is on the verge of returning to the Knicks for at least one more season.

Robinson is expected to agree to a one-year, $5 million contract soon.

Via Yahoo! Sports

[h1]Marquis Daniels' "Celtic Season"[/h1]

According to the sources, Free Agent Marquis Daniels has reportedly agreed to sign himself up with the Celtic, thus committing himself for the team. Ifeverything favors the ex-Pacer player, Daniels is supposed to receive the bi-annual exception contract of $1.9 million , unless a sign-and-trade deal can beworked out with his former team i.e. the Pacers.
Rumors say that Daniels is expected to be used as a back up for Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, averaged 13.6 points and 4.6 rebounds last season for Indiana.According to the sources, The Pacers gradually declined to exercise their option on Daniels, which would have been worth of $7.3 million next season. Daniels,who started his career in Dallas, was also in talking terms with the Mavericks, Charlotte, Houston, New York and Orlando.

smokin.gif

[h1]Robinson expected to return to Knicks[/h1]
By Marc J. Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 12 hours, 20 minutes ago

Nate Robinson(notes) is close to signing a one-year, $5 million contract with the New York Knicks, a source with knowledge of the talks said Saturday. The deal is expected to be finalized early this week.

Robinson, a restricted free agent, was courted by Greek team Olympiakos. He averaged a career-best 17.2 points and 4.1 assists in 74 games with the Knicks last season. New York, which nearly traded Robinson to Sacramento midway through the season, is trying to preserve as much salary-cap room as possible for the 2010 free-agent class.

While the Los Angeles Clippers are no longer pursuing Allen Iverson(notes), they remain interested in Milwaukee Bucks restricted free-agent guard Ramon Sessions(notes), league sources said.

The Clippers are believed to be willing to give Sessions an offer sheet that begins in the $4 million to $4.5 million range. It's unclear whether that would be enough to dissuade the Bucks from matching.

Denver Nuggets free agent forward Linas Kleiza(notes) is expected to get a contract offer from Olympiakos next week, a source with knowledge of the team's plans said. The offer might not be enough to persuade Kleiza to join former Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Childress(notes) with the Greek team.

Minnesota Timberwolves general manager David Kahn confirmed he has begun the second round of interviews for the team's head-coaching position. Kahn said he planned to have the candidates show some of their coaching techniques on the court but wouldn't discuss other details of the search.

"I think if you're going to hire a coach, my personal feeling, and this is me, maybe I'm a fool, bringing someone into a hotel suite or a conference room is fine," Kahn said. "But I felt like the court is their work space and part of the second round is to take people out there and go over some X's-and-O's stuff so they can show me right there."

League sources say the finalists include ABC-TV analyst and former NBA point guard Mark Jackson, Houston Rockets assistant Elston Turner, Los Angeles Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis and Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams. Jackson has been considered the front-runner.

Kahn recently returned from Spain, where he met with Ricky Rubio(notes), the Timberwolves' first-round pick. Kahn hoped to help Rubio find a way to lower the buyout with his Spanish team, but would not discuss specifics of the trip.

"With Rubio, I'm just trying to make sure we don't overstep our bounds while we go through this stuff," Kahn said.

The Memphis Grizzlies are expected to sign free-agent guard Marcus Williams soon to a make-good contract, a league source said. Williams averaged 13.4 points, 8.2 assists and 4.6 rebounds for Memphis during the summer league.

The Grizzlies also rescinded a $3 million qualifying offer to forward Hakim Warrick(notes) as a cost-cutting measure, Warrick's agent Bill Duffy said. Warrick is attracting interest from six teams and it's unlikely he will re-sign with Memphis at a lower salary, Duffy said.

A Grizzlies source doubted the decision would cause the team to renew talks with Iverson.

Two USA Basketball officials said Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant(notes) has played "head and shoulders" above everyone else at the minicamp and is the only lock among the players here to make the senior national team next year. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said a 25-man national team roster will be named in November and paired down to about 18 next July. … Team USA has to play five exhibition games before the 2010 World Championships. Colangelo said New York is expected to host one exhibition while other possible sites include Las Vegas, Chicago, Spain, Greece and England. Colangelo expects players to serve a 31-day commitment for the World Championships. The team might train in Chicago

Don't how much truth it is but sorry if already posted

Blazers shopping Bayless

Even with a short free agency shopping list in the making, there remains question marks surrounding the role of sophomore point guard Jerryd Bayless who --according to multiple sources -- is being heavily shopped by Portland.

per Fannation

Originally Posted by Statis22

Don't how much truth it is but sorry if already posted

Blazers shopping Bayless

Even with a short free agency shopping list in the making, there remains question marks surrounding the role of sophomore point guard Jerryd Bayless who -- according to multiple sources -- is being heavily shopped by Portland.

per Fannation

I think he is, because he's not a a true PG.

The Memphis Grizzlies are expected to sign free-agent guard Marcus Williams soon to a make-good contract, a league source said. Williams averaged 13.4 points, 8.2 assists and 4.6 rebounds for Memphis during the summer league.
if my son stops partying and keeps his @#% in the gym he going to get major PT

i still remember this clown been on the IR list and coming up to my job in LA and the nets had a home and i was just
smh.gif
the whole time

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

i still remember this clown been on the IR list and coming up to my job in LA and the nets had a home and i was just
smh.gif
the whole time
Dude is mad lazy
smh.gif

Just reading thru his twitter page, I could tell dude aint serious about ball
laugh.gif

He better not *@*! up in Memphis cuz this might end up being his last shot in the League.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

smh.gif
the whole time
I hope Mw1ll doesn't mess up in Memphis.

Well, fans in Memphis should not have to worry about him hanging out at the Memphis BBQ places, he is more of a wendy's and McDonalds type ofguy............

Mwill's last shot. he needs to play with his head on straight.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

JA... Would have rather had Warrick... No?
Over Gooden?

He would've been nice, he would have fit into our style of play more, but I think Gooden may play major minutes when Kidd isn't on the floor, allowinghim to spread out the floor a bit with his ability to take mid-range jumpers. But he's also a big body, which is what I really like.

I would have probably been happier with Warrick, but I'm not dissatisfied with this move. He fits better with our team, but I'm definitely not UPSETthat we got Gooden.

I wouldn't rule out getting Hak either..
nerd.gif

Right now, as our roster stands...

Kidd/JJ/Rodrigue
Josh/JET
Marion/Ross
Dirk/Humphries
Dampier/Gooden?

We COULD get rid of Humphries or move him to the IR in favor of someone like HAK for the LLE.

I don't know if Quintion Ross is capable of knocking down perimeter shots, but I think we need someone who can knock down 3's or drive it to the rim tohelp out Kidd. Josh and Marion are good enough athletes to get themselves set up from Kidd, if we just had one more shooter to spread the floor next to Dirk. Iguess Kidd himself could do that, as he shot GREAT the first 36 minutes of the game last year from deep.

I don't see this being our final move, but it won't be something major, it probably would be hard to equate our next move to Gooden, but I'mkeeping my fingers crossed it will be a move to help our our bench.

All of this said, I'd still like Hak on our team, even though we have lots of guys who can play the 3-4 right now. Plus Singleton and Hollins are still outthere and we have yet to re-sign them. I'd like BOTH back on the team, but right now we need another guard to fill out the bench, so it's hard to seeone of them staying, unfortunately.

By the way, I might kill myself if scrubs like Buckner, Carroll, Jawai and Williams get spots on the roster instead of putting those dudes in suits.
smh.gif

Can Hak shoot? He can't right?
nerd.gif

My whole thing with Gooden is he's a big dude who we can bring in at C who will probably mesh fine with Kidd, he can shoot a bit, and it's an option wenever really had, a versatile big off the bench to give us an extra bang for our buck.

Originally Posted by raptors29

I knew the Grizzlies were gonna sign Marcus Williams. Who are they tryna upgrade Mike Wilks?
laugh.gif
Marko Jaric
sick.gif

I was really hoping for a veteran PG. Williams is "ok", but his defense sucks. Conley will be getting heavy minutes next year anyways (probablyaround 32-35mpg). So, Williams would be good for around 15 minutes a night.

I don't know whats the infatuation with Warrick. He is a blackhole on offense. It's funny how people say Randolph is a blackhole, but don't mentionWarrick who is worse statistically in moving the ball on offense than Z-Bo. He's good for his little spurts where he can score in bunches, but his defenseis so horrible. I don't know why he didn't accept the QO of 3mil because I don't see him getting more than that from any other team.

Hak is a tweener and a black hole. His mid-range shot has improved, but he offers nothing else. He's too slow to guard SFs, too weak to guard PFs,can't dribble and won't pass.

If you don't see the differences between Warrick and Randolph, and why they aren't viewed the same way, I don't know what to tell you...

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Hak is a tweener and a black hole. His mid-range shot has improved, but he offers nothing else. He's too slow to guard SFs, too weak to guard PFs, can't dribble and won't pass.
That's what bothers me with him.

If he's such a phenomenal athlete, why hasn't he found his niche?

He's real thin, and he'd be awkward to match up with defensively.

Gooden is no great defender, don't get me wrong, but at least he brings some versatility to the offense.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

If you don't see the differences between Warrick and Randolph, and why they aren't viewed the same way, I don't know what to tell you...
I see the differences in them, but Randolph is a far more superior post scorer than Warrick. Warrick doesn't have the extra baggage with himthat Randolph carries, so people don't tend to recognize the way he plays in games. Warrick lacks rebounding, defense, passing, a tweener, etc. Even whenhe had games with 20pts and 8-9rebs, his effort on defense was horrible. The same can be said about Z-Bo, but at least he will give you rebounding and is agood post player.

He also has the size to at least give some effort on defense if he wanted to. Warrick is just too small. I mean he's only 219 pounds. For his size, heshould be more of a pesky defender. He was also hurting the development of Arthur and since the team got Carroll (who will play some PF), there was no need forHak. The only thing I dislike about losing him is that he was our main guy off the bench who could score. Now, its up to Memphis to find a guy to come off thebench to score (preferably a guard).

Our bench looking like the Houston Rockets (all hustle and defense, no offense)
laugh.gif
. If we sign Williams, add him to Young, Carroll, Arthur and Thabeet. They need some offensive veteran. I wish there was a way they could make amove for Barbosa, Terry, Outlaw or something.

Back
Top Bottom