NBC employee claims Bill Cosby paid off women, invited young models to dressing room.

In 2005, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor learned that Andrea Constand had reported that William Cosby had sexually assaulted her in 2004 at his Cheltenham residence.

Along with his top deputy prosecutor and experienced detectives, District Attorney Castor thoroughly investigated Constand’s claim.

In evaluating the likelihood of a successful prosecution of Cosby, the district attorney foresaw difficulties with Constand’s credibility as a witness based, in part, upon her decision not to file a complaint promptly.

D.A. Castor further determined that a prosecution would be frustrated because there was no corroborating forensic evidence and because testimony from other potential claimants against Cosby likely was inadmissible under governing laws of evidence.

The collective weight of these considerations led D.A. Castor to conclude that, unless Cosby confessed, “there was insufficient credible and admissible evidence upon which any charge against Mr. Cosby related to the Constand incident could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Seeking “some measure of justice” for Constand, D.A. Castor decided that the Commonwealth would decline to prosecute Cosby for the incident involving Constand, thereby allowing Cosby to be forced to testify in a subsequent civil action, under penalty of perjury, without the benefit of his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.

Unable to invoke any right not to testify in the civil proceedings, Cosby relied upon the district attorney’s declination and proceeded to provide four sworn depositions.

During those depositions, Cosby made several incriminating statements.

D.A. Castor’s successors did not feel bound by his decision, and decided to prosecute Cosby notwithstanding that prior undertaking.

The fruits of Cosby’s reliance upon D.A. Castor’s decision - Cosby’s sworn inculpatory testimony - were then used by D.A. Castor’s successors against Cosby at Cosby’s criminal trial.

For those that say Cosby should still be locked up - you cool with this?
Cosby's scum, but the court made the right decision.

This is actually something DA's do to poor, black, and brown people all the time - offer a deal, never put it in writing, then use information garnered following the offer to prosecute. It's prosecutorial misconduct.

If Cosby wasn't uber wealthy he's probably still in jail like everyone else they do this to.

D.A. Bruce Castor

...I wonder how many people are in prison today because of these type of folks.

Last edited:
In response, current Montgomery County Kevin Steele, who prosecuted Cosby, released a statement Wednesday saying, "He was found guilty by a jury and now goes free on a procedural issue that is irrelevant to the facts of the crime. I want to commend Cosby's victim Andrea Constand for her bravery in coming forward and remaining steadfast throughout this long ordeal, as well as all of the other women who have shared similar experiences."

Origins...

A career prosecutor involved in the re-investigation of a decade-old sexual-assault claim against Bill Cosby has been elected district attorney in suburban Philadelphia, a result that could lead to charges being filed in the case.

Democrat Kevin Steele on Tuesday defeated Republican Bruce Castor, the ex-prosecutor who had declined in 2005 to bring charges against Cosby.

5bfd8357d7b43.image.jpg

Bruce Castor basically set it up for him to get off...he made Cosby pay a couple of mil for his freedom and granted criminal immunity...

people who want Cosby out should be praising Castor...

if orange man was still in office I bet cosby would walk away with some type of medal...

This is why certain folks are so afraid of "critical race theory".

It was never about Black or White, Rich or Poor, Democrats or Republicans.

It is and has always been about laws.

Bruce Castor basically set it up for him to get off...he made Cosby pay a couple of mil for his freedom and granted criminal immunity...

people who want Cosby out should be praising Castor...

if orange man was still in office I bet cosby would walk away with some type of medal...

Castor knew he didn't have a case he could win by the law.

Steele knew he didn't have a case he could win by the law.

DA's don't like that so they break the law to win the case to put someone in jail for breaking the law.

Prosecutorial Immunity.

What does it say?
In light of what he admitted, is Bill Cosby someone we should celebrate? Would you let your female relatives hang out with someone who will use trust to take advantage of them? Are we supporting predators now?

He got off because the DA didn't play by the rules of the legal system and got caught. That doesn't mean Cosby didn't do anything wrong. Whoever's willing to ignore that has questionable morals.

Not 100% sure what's going on but I'll just say F the system and Cosby.
Gonna let Legal Eagle make sense of this to me.

I never paid attention to the case really. But if this is really how it went down, then throw this ***** back in.
The internet is a weird place…In real life where I’m from we don’t care about how it happens or “the system” with these type of things, just keep them rapists and child predator types away…Cosby said he been drugging chicks for decades and it was an open secret, F him

In light of what he admitted, is Bill Cosby someone we should celebrate? Would you let your female relatives hang out with someone who will use trust to take advantage of them? Are we supporting predators now?

He got off because the DA didn't play by the rules of the legal system and got caught. That doesn't mean Cosby didn't do anything wrong. Whoever's willing to ignore that has questionable morals.

False dichotomy.

Its not an either / or.

We can do more than chose sides.

Ex.

In light of what the DAs did, is Bill Cosby's imprisonment something we should celebrate? Would you be Ok if the DA did this to someone in your family? Are we supporting prosecutorial misconduct now?

Yeah Cosby is a scumbag. That doesn't mean the DA didn't do anything wrong. Whoever's willing to ignore that has questionable morals.

The fact of the matter is "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere" shout out to Rev. Dr. MLK. Jr.

The answer to injustice is never more injustice.

That's how we got here with the whole police brutality thing.

Injustice is our enemy - no matter who the offended / offender is.

Nobody is above the law.

End Prosecutorial Immunity.

End Qualified Immunity.

End Judicial Immunity.

Authority without accountability is failure.

Last edited:
What does it say?
Depends on if you're celebrating his release b/c he's innocent or if you're celebrating b/c the courts got exposed for once again disenfranchising blacks.

As ****ty as it is for the victims, this outcome could do out a lot good for ppl innocently sitting behind bars rn. I'd like to think that this opens a lot of ppl's eyes and motivates them to dig deeper into our very corrupt legal system. I genuinely believe that this'll do more good than bad.

Cosby's scum, but the court made the right decision.

This is actually something DA's do to poor, black, and brown people all the time - offer a deal, never put it in writing, then use information garnered following the offer to prosecute. It's prosecutorial misconduct.

If Cosby wasn't uber wealthy he's probably still in jail like everyone else they do this to.

Prosecutors abuse their power all the time. This case isn't a good example of that. I don't buy that Cosby and his high priced legal team were relying on the "word" of a prosecutor

Two things can be true. Castor was incompetent AND there was not a promise to never prosecute in 2005

There was no immunity order at the time of the deposition. Criminal charges could have been brought at any time. Cosby actually declined to answer certain questions in the depositions

The decision was made way back in 2005, when Cosby's lawyers figured the argument would be a slam dunk in a trial court. It turns out that it wasn't

This is why at a minimum the Supreme Court got the remedy wrong. Two of the Justices said that the remedy should have been that he could be retried, but this time exclude the statements obtained during the civil deposition

This case is basically saying prosecutors inherit all decisions and intent of their colleagues and predecessors. Again, it simply cannot be the law that "reliance" on a prosecutor's statement of intent can be turned into an enforceable contract

Prosecutors abuse their power all the time. This case isn't a good example of that. I don't buy that Cosby and his high priced legal team were relying on the "word" of a prosecutor

Two things can be true. Castor was incompetent AND there was not a promise to never prosecute in 2005

There was no immunity order at the time of the deposition. Criminal charges could have been brought at any time. Cosby actually declined to answer certain questions in the depositions

The decision was made way back in 2005, when Cosby's lawyers figured the argument would be a slam dunk in a trial court. It turns out that it wasn't

This is why at a minimum the Supreme Court got the remedy wrong. Two of the Justices said that the remedy should have been that he could be retried, but this time exclude the statements obtained during the civil deposition

This case is basically saying prosecutors inherit all decisions and intent of their colleagues and predecessors. Again, it simply cannot be the law that "reliance" on a prosecutor's statement of intent can be turned into an enforceable contract
You raise an interesting point. The implications of these decision seems to give DAs a de facto pardoning power that the courts never intended them to have

The remedy should have been a new trial, with new rules on what can be presented

People celebrating this because they wanted Cosby to get off might not like it when DA use the power to protect say, killer cops.

You raise an interesting point. The implications of these decision seems to give DAs a de facto pardoning power that the courts never intended them to have

The remedy should have been a new trial, with new rules on what can be presented

People celebrating this because they wanted Cosby to get off might not like it when DA use the power to protect say, killer cops.

They been on this wave since Slavery.

Hmmm

It seems to me the consequences of losing the conviction in a potentially embarassing way is a bigger deterent to prosecutorial misconduct...

than a retrial.

Am I wrong to think that obviously despite Cosby evading justice this is a better outcome of you want to deter prosecutors from doing this to people

Who don't have the means to vindicate their rights?

Back
Top Bottom