NBC's Community Thread - 6/2 - Ep. 13: "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"

I can see where he's coming from with Pierce.. but his character seemed pretty defined as a bigot when he signed on. He's gotten some character growth so I can see the frustration that he's still saying racist things, but it's not called "The Chevy Chase Show and some other people". It's called Community... he's said he's only doing it for the paycheck. Between the outbursts and his comments in recent years, he just seems painfully out of touch with reality, he doesn't even like his own show. I believe he's said as much and it's also obvious in the outtakes, but the only one he really likes is Donald Glover.

Last edited:

to lighten the mood

he must be pissed he's not playing one of those serious roles he's used to playing like clark griswald..

it must be that he's just upset he's getting old and they're taking advantage of that.

I was never that fond of the out of touch old racist character. They have that chick playing the same role on the New Normal.

Put a twist on it and spice it up by having a child play the role. Pitch it as the kid has an old soul and is using old terms from the 30s-60s while being incredibly racist. It'll be refreshingly uncomfortable.

it seems like the current trend for every show is having an eldery racist/bigot white person.... to me it shows lack of writing talent. That's not the only thing you can do with an elderly character.

I talked to my friend who WATCHED community and he's like this is just a stunt because a) they've already done a table read and b) they 've already started shooting. If he had an issue why is he bringing it up now?? You wanna leave the show than just leave... which I agree, those are excellent points. Chevy's tirade would've been more well received had his track record on the show been a little better.

Well it depends. It may have been a new script or a change in something. Plus Chevy old. Maybe he just wasn't paying attention? :lol:

Probably a stunt. Gotta do something to get more attention.

I actually like Pierce's character on community. To me he's the funniest one out the whole crew.

Damn they cancelled Animal Practice?!?!?!?!? My boy Andy was on that....:smh:

Last edited:
Writers can add jokes after the read, it happens often because some jokes don't work at the read so they rewrite them. Chevys last freak out happened on theklast day of shooting.. He doesn't really plan anything. How many elderly bigot characters are there? The grandma onNew NNormal and I'm drawing a blank on all these others?

Writers can add jokes after the read, it happens often because some jokes don't work at the read so they rewrite them. Chevys last freak out happened on theklast day of shooting.. He doesn't really plan anything. How many elderly bigot characters are there? The grandma onNew NNormal and I'm drawing a blank on all these others?

On modern fam... even though his wife is Colombian and his son is gay... he still kinda is a bigot, just not the extent as the other two characters I mentioned.

The show "sh*t my dad says", but it got canceled.

^

but honestly, as I black person I'm glad he's standing up for that---he doesn't like the direction is character is going in and he's saying something about it. Should he have gone on a tirade ? No. But it shows he passionate about it at least...
...he doth protest too much...

No one is trying to be Kramer'd. 
grin.gif

How many elderly bigot characters are there? The grandma onNew NNormal and I'm drawing a blank on all these others?
They're not always apart of the main cast but they definitely pop up in episodes from time to time.

On that now typical, old person that was really nice to you throughout the ep and then you find out they're incredibly racist in the end.

Last edited:
How many elderly bigot characters are there? The grandma onNew NNormal and I'm drawing a blank on all these others?
They're not always apart of the main cast but they definitely pop up in episodes from time to time.

On that now typical, old person that was really nice to you throughout the ep and then you find out they're incredibly racist in the end.

This woman comes to mind

When was Lucille ever nice?

When she uses people. Like that time she tried to get Maeby to side with her against her mom. Then she made those fat comments that made Maeby think again.
Oh you mean in that way. I can understand that but she's sort of doing it purposely.

I'm talking about when you meet a new character and they come off really nice, it's actual genuine kindness and then it's revealed they're racist. Kinda like the trampoline episode on Community when we found out that white guy who was hiding that secret was racist (he wasn't old though) :lol:

When was Lucille ever nice?

When she uses people. Like that time she tried to get Maeby to side with her against her mom. Then she made those fat comments that made Maeby think again.
Oh you mean in that way. I can understand that but she's sort of doing it purposely.

I'm talking about when you meet a new character and they come off really nice, it's actual genuine kindness and then it's revealed they're racist. Kinda like the trampoline episode on Community when we found out that white guy who was hiding that secret was racist (he wasn't old though) :lol:

OHYEAH!!! lol That caught me off guard. I love Lucille tho. I love the Bluth family can't wait til it comes back... Oh and Community too.

It'll come back, either when 30 Rock ends or another NBC sitcom gets cancelled (Guys with Kids). 

Like I said it got the 30 Rock slot

‘Community’ To Return In February In Its Old Thursday 8 PM Slot
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Tuesday October 30, 2012 @ 11:28am PDT
Comments (0)
Nellie Andreeva

Order is restored on Thursday as NBC’s cult comedy Community returns to its 8 PM slot. The much delayed fourth season of Community will premiere on Feb. 7, co-star Yvette Nicole Brown announced on Twitter. After a three-season run on Thursday, Community was initially slated to air on Friday this fall with sophomore Whitney. Whitney was recently summoned to its previous Wednesday PM slot to replace cancelled Animal Practice. Community is now returning to its old berth too. It is currently occupied by 30 Rock, which will end its 13-episode final season by the time Community comes back.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/community-to-return-in-february-in-its-old-thursday-8-pm-slot/

... That's legit 4 months away.

And in keeping with the thought of them being in college, how the hell does it makes sense to start the season with only 4 months left in the academic year?

:smh:

I confess myself disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom