**NEW** Common - Stay Schemin' (Drake Diss)

idk tune, dudes would give money to lick drake's sweaty briefs...they gonna claim that drake a better actor than leo or denzel now too

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Originally Posted by Deuce King

sillyputty that's a very colorful fruity peeble response champ. 

roll.gif

This thread is straight comedy.
laugh.gif
Com ain't a legend??? Dude is crazy.

What some people are neglecting to realize is that this entire profession is about making as much money as possible before your time is up. I think some of the veterans in the industry who were there before over-produced albums, music videos for singles, sponsorships with major international brands, acceptance by white Americans, etc. frequently get jealous because they came at the wrong time or didn't conform to the mainstream recipe. So when we hear some of the respected veterans who never had those huge paydays, but paved the road for the newer artists there is some resentment and or jealousy. To be honest, if I could sing my own hooks and not pay another artist to collaborate or sampling royalties I would do it because i consider myself a businessman. Matter of fact, if i could sing period or had any other talent (acting, mass-appeal, sex-appeal, etc) and could make a million dollars by playing a role I would. Put me on a stage to sing to 20,000 screaming white girls and get $100k just to show up???? Where do I sign up?

With that we have Common who is akin to an athlete on the back-end of a good career. The second ballot Hall-of-fame type dude who is trying to be a solid role player (see Vince Carter). I was talking to my roommate (ireminisce) about this the other day. I think Common is a great artist and I actually would put him in my personal top 5 (no hate please...my opinion). He didn't need to do this, but put himself out there for the criticism. If anything, he will inevitably take a bigger L because he went there and didn't need to. I mean if Jay-Z can release "Death of Autotune" and it's still widely used in Hip-hop after that, then what the heck does Common think he can do by calling out a artist that chooses to sing and occasionally rap? That's what confuses me about the entire thing. At the end of the day, both men will stand to make a few more bucks after this scenario plays out while we all speculate the why behind the what and who is a better rapper.

my two cents.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by Chrisb9393

Common is more legendary than Lupe...I don't even see how this is arguable.

define legendary and you will see its subjective
i believe you're the only person in the world that has lupe fiasco on their hip hop legend list.

Some of you dudes are terrible....lol.

Common is not hurting, trying to remain relevant, doing it to boost sales, or etc. Just last year, he was invited to the White House to perform poetry. That is huge in itself.

Dudes are also slightly dismissing Drake unreasonably too. Drake can rap and may very well be capable of holding his own. Don't sleep.

All in all, let these to dudes battle. Whatever their motives are, both have chosen to go at each other, so it is fair game now. Quit coat-tailing both of them and enjoy the entertainment, if Drake responds that is.

What is with so many rappers coming at Drake? What did the man do? Am I missing something? I am a huge fan of both Common and Ludacris but I will never wrap my head around the purpose of rap beef. LOL Never!

Do ya'll really think Drake can't bring the heat?

We're talking about a guy that got up on stage and SANG Destiny's Child "Say My Name".............with passion at that.  It's over for Drake, and it's over for the majority of his fanbase that condones these actions.  Even after the discovery of that video I hear some of you dudes saying there's nothing wrong with that, or you dudes saying that you sing "Say My Name"  in the shower and stuff like that, to which I can't do anything but laugh and say bless your hearts.  Drake needs to keep it real with himself and just go back to his r&b style of rap.  When he does that, that's the real him and that's what he's good at.  If he wants to make songs like Marvin's Room crying on the phone to chicks and hating on dudes that actually got game then I say more power to him, and more power to you all you Drake lovers that do the same as well.  Remember, the game aint for everybody.  He's not "catching any bodies" and as a soft, sweet, simp rapper he's not looking forward to running into anybody at the finish line as he suggested.  In any and everything that you do you have to have an inner honesty within you and of yourself, people can pick up and sense that.  

Also, this thread has really shown some of the newbies and uninformed individuals when it comes to hip hop.  I thought we left some of you clowns behind in 2011 but I see you dudes still carry that same ignorance and unwillingness to learn right over into the year of 2012.  They say the end of the world is going to occur in 2012, and when folks make comments like Common isn't a legend and Common needs to do diss records to create buzz since they live in the fourth largest city in America I'm almost convinced more so now than ever that the end of the world is near.  If so, it's time for you dudes to get your act together and brush up on your hip hop history before you engage in conversations and discussions like this.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either, each one teach one.

Also, this thread has really shown some of the newbies and uninformed individuals when it comes to hip hop.  I thought we left some of you clowns behind in 2011 but I see you dudes still carry that same ignorance and unwillingness to learn right over into the year of 2012.  They say the end of the world is going to occur in 2012, and when folks make comments like Common isn't a legend and Common needs to do diss records to create buzz since they live in the fourth largest city in America I'm almost convinced more so now than ever that the end of the world is near.  If so, it's time for you dudes to get your act together and brush up on your hip hop history before you engage in conversations and discussions like this.  Don't be afraid to ask questions either, each one teach one.

This. Some of the comments made in this thread are based on a great extent of ignorance. 
I know people have their preferences, but you do not have to like an artist to give credit where it is due and to respect that artist's legacy. 

Why does Common need buzz? He is already an established hip hop artist who is already notably respected and is a part of the legacy of Hip Hop. If anything, this helps Drake get more buzz since he stil has to stand the test of time of how long he can last in the game. Common has nothing to prove. Common is a legend, whose legacy in Hip Hop has been entrenched and who is a pioneer of bringing Mid-West hip hop scene to the surface. He has albums and hip hop songs that are critically acclaimed to be on the BEST of Hip Hop's List of ALL TIME. To deny Common's legacy is pure ignorance and shows your lack of hip hop appreciation. 

I do like and bump some Drake songs, but I do not like him as an artist. I see his image as fake/phony, and his music to be quite generic. His whole hype/gimmick completely turns me off. However, I will not deny the kid can rap and has talent. He is just not my cup of tea. I also do not think he will come close to Common's accolades and legacy. I just see him as pop-pure fluff who will eventually oversaturate the market and he will become so burned out to the point a new kid will come again and take over and Drake and the crew will die off. The whole OVOXOYMCMBYOLO movement is no different than the gimmicks that were Murder Inc. and G-UNIT and we saw what happened to them. But hey, who knows, my premonitions can be wrong if I am ever proven wrong. We'll see. Common, however, it is not even a question. His legacy speaks for itself. To even say that Common is doing this for buzz and is jealous because of Drake's sales/popularity/records is laughable at best. As I pointed out, Common has nothing to prove.

Originally Posted by AI for MVP

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

In context, Drake's "catching a body" was clearly in reference to rap. (bodying a verse)

but...whatever.
Stop it 
laugh.gif
...'cause I live for this. It isn't just a hobby like that. When they get my #@+@ and play it, I ain't even gotta say it. They know. 

The whole verse was about rap.

But, like I said,...whatever.

I'm one of the bigger Lupe fans on here and I can't understand how someone would consider Lupe a legend but not Common
eek.gif
. They both have classic albums but Common made one of the greatest songs in hip hop history and was a pioneer in the way of opening the worlds eyes to pay attention to Chicago and to see that they could also produce quality hip hop and this opened the door for dudes like Lupe to be able to come out of Chicago and have success. Bonafide legend.
Don't even know why I have to explain it 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

In context, Drake's "catching a body" was clearly in reference to rap. (bodying a verse)

but...whatever.
right...
the problem is you can't make certain songs that portray one side of you (make me proud, shot for me, hate sleeping alone.) and when get around another people like Ross,

Montana, and Klaheed make songs like Lord Knows and Stay Schemin (which aren't bad songs to be honest). I have no problems with a rapping Drake (the dude that made Comeback Season and most of So Far Gone). But you can't mix that with singing Drake. And to be honest, he shouldn't even have to sing again considering The Weeknd is a better songwriter and singer than him. Pick a gimmick and stick with it.  

and where is this response? 
nerd.gif

than him

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

I know people have their preferences, but you do not have to like an artist to give credit where it is due and to respect that artist's legacy. 
Why does Common need buzz? He is already an established hip hop artist who is already notably respected and is a part of the legacy of Hip Hop. If anything, this helps Drake get more buzz since he stil has to stand the test of time of how long he can last in the game. Common has nothing to prove. Common is a legend, whose legacy in Hip Hop has been entrenched and who is a pioneer of bringing Mid-West hip hop scene to the surface. He has albums and hip hop songs that are critically acclaimed to be on the BEST of Hip Hop's List of ALL TIME. To deny Common's legacy is pure ignorance and shows your lack of hip hop appreciation. 

I do like and bump some Drake songs, but I do not like him as an artist. I see his image as fake/phony, and his music to be quite generic. His whole hype/gimmick completely turns me off. However, I will not deny the kid can rap and has talent. He is just not my cup of tea. I also do not think he will come close to Common's accolades and legacy. I just see him as pop-pure fluff who will eventually oversaturate the market and he will become so burned out to the point a new kid will come again and take over and Drake and the crew will die off. The whole OVOXOYMCMBYOLO movement is no different than the gimmicks that were Murder Inc. and G-UNIT and we saw what happened to them. But hey, who knows, my premonitions can be wrong if I am ever proven wrong. We'll see. Common, however, it is not even a question. His legacy speaks for itself. To even say that Common is doing this for buzz and is jealous because of Drake's sales/popularity/records is laughable at best. As I pointed out, Common has nothing to prove.

So you don't like Drake and find his music to be generic, but you still "bump" his songs?  Someone null and void this post
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
.  How can you even justify Common going after Drake when people like Kanye and Lil Wayne have put out songs, even an album, dedicated to girl(s) that include singing?  Drake isn't the first rapper to do this and he's not the last, it's obvious Common's beef with Drake doesn't just stem from his dislike of the direction in which hip-hop is heading.  If he's so worried then he should talk to leaders like Jay-Z and Nas for getting on tracks with artists that are supposedly ruining hip-hop.  Of course he wouldn't do that though because he's just trying to get money like every other artist, if he wasn't then he would sit back like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, ArtOfficial, Shin Sight Trio, Masta Ace,  Phonte, etc. and make good music.  There's no need for him to go after Drake, people will support whatever artists they see fit regardless of what Drake does.

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

So you don't like Drake and find his music to be generic, but you still "bump" his songs?  Someone null and void this post
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
.  How can you even justify Common going after Drake when people like Kanye and Lil Wayne have put out songs, even an album, dedicated to girl(s) that include singing?  Drake isn't the first rapper to do this and he's not the last, it's obvious Common's beef with Drake doesn't just stem from his dislike of the direction in which hip-hop is heading.  If he's so worried then he should talk to leaders like Jay-Z and Nas for getting on tracks with artists that are supposedly ruining hip-hop.  Of course he wouldn't do that though because he's just trying to get money like every other artist, if he wasn't then he would sit back like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, ArtOfficial, Shin Sight Trio, Masta Ace,  Phonte, etc. and make good music.  There's no need for him to go after Drake, people will support whatever artists they see fit regardless of what Drake does.

Drake don't love you moe, let that man stand on his own two.

Common's sweet was no different than jay-z's death of autotune...a PSA to everybody out there doing that ^%&*boi foolery. Drake caught feelings and took offense.

Originally Posted by 0cks

When talking about Common you have to acknowledge his Afrocentric perspective... Anything that strays from blackness is not hip-hop to him... IMO this "beef" could get pretty inflammatory very fast...
nerd.gif

Lupe being a legend over Com is hard for me to hear
frown.gif

Honestly the fact that Common even took the race route with part of his diss kinda pisses me off. There's no need to go at dude being mixe. As a Common fan from the Can I Borrow a Dollar days, duke lost a lot of respect from me for even approaching that topic.

Originally Posted by sekim2detcidda

What some people are neglecting to realize is that this entire profession is about making as much money as possible before your time is up. I think some of the veterans in the industry who were there before over-produced albums, music videos for singles, sponsorships with major international brands, acceptance by white Americans, etc. frequently get jealous because they came at the wrong time or didn't conform to the mainstream recipe. So when we hear some of the respected veterans who never had those huge paydays, but paved the road for the newer artists there is some resentment and or jealousy. To be honest, if I could sing my own hooks and not pay another artist to collaborate or sampling royalties I would do it because i consider myself a businessman. Matter of fact, if i could sing period or had any other talent (acting, mass-appeal, sex-appeal, etc) and could make a million dollars by playing a role I would. Put me on a stage to sing to 20,000 screaming white girls and get $100k just to show up???? Where do I sign up?
You would serve as a perfect agent for the raping of the culture...
Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

When talking about Common you have to acknowledge his Afrocentric perspective... Anything that strays from blackness is not hip-hop to him... IMO this "beef" could get pretty inflammatory very fast...
nerd.gif

frown.gif
Honestly the fact that Common even took the race route with part of his diss kinda pisses me off. There's no need to go at dude being mixe. As a Common fan from the Can I Borrow a Dollar days, duke lost a lot of respect from me for even approaching that topic.
But Common has always been against interracial relationships... I'm really not surprised he has problem with a bi-racial kid carrying the hip-hop flag...

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Nope, don't like Drake. He irks me. His music is generic to me, but there are a few songs I do like. How does that make discredit my post?
laugh.gif
It doesn't mean that if you do not like an artist, or think their music is boring in general, that you won't like some of their songs. Hell, I don't like Justin Bieber's music, but I will have some of his few selection of songs I like on my iPod. 
Why can't Common have an opinion and sing about it? Who said he specifically went just after Drake? He made general statements in a song and it could have included a bunch of artists since he uses the plural form. He is clearly making a statement on what he finds to be the degradation of hip hop through the oversaturation of sugar-coated pop/R&B aspect to its music 

This is not the first time Common makes a statement about the deterioration of hip hop.  I Used to Love H.E.R. is about the degradation of hip hop due to the mainstream overtake by West gangsta rap. Common is not the first one to do it and not the last to speak about the statement or direction of hip hop in songs, even aiming or targeting others. Infact, it is natural to do that in hip hop culture. One of its elements which is freestyle battling, is to roast others or take hits at others. Infamous rap battles have even ended or solidified careers. It's part of the art at the core of hip hop and part of the game. Don't know why Drake is all butthurt. If you are ready to boast and say I am the greatest, you put yourself in the ring and need to be ready to take hits. You need to be ready to fight back and prove that you are made for it. 

Originally Posted by sekim2detcidda

You would serve as a perfect agent for the raping of the culture...
Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

nerd.gif

frown.gif
But Common has always been against interracial relationships... I'm really not surprised he has problem with a bi-racial kid carrying the hip-hop flag...
There's nothing wrong with being Afrocentric and yeah, Common has been that way.  There's a problem with calling out someone's race in a "battle" though.  What does that have ANYTHING to do with anything?  Exactly--nothing.  If you have an issue with him being soft, by all means voice it.  But the fact that his mom is white and pops is black?  Word?
So now mixed dudes can't be hip-hop?  So by default, does Common think Eminem isn't hip-hop?  To me it just seems like a cheap shot since being mixed has nothing to do with being soft or sweet.  And honestly it makes Common seem kinda salty.  How is a light-skinned dude gonna call out a lighter-skinned dude anyways?  #@*+ is absurd, IMO.    

Back
Top Bottom