NEW TREND...ENGAGEMENT WATCHES...CHICKS'S GET RINGS...WE GET WATCHES

Originally Posted by ksteezy

And best of luck finding a girl who wouldn't care about the ring....really mean that.
a friend of mine and his wife don't even wear their rings.
they do exist.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Ah so it's cool if it's for me but it's terrible for anyone else. I can violate values I impose on others as long as the purchase is for me. Cool. Gotcha.

You gotta ask him to clarify. Like I said, I don't know how he feels about this.

But wait are you saying that it's not okay to choose what gift you want to give someone that you're buying with your own money? So it's ridiculous for me to not want to spend money on a Big Mac for someone after they just ate, even though it's my money? No one here is telling anyone else what to do with their money. Yes, you can violate whatever values you want when you're spending your own money.

That's my opinion. It's my money and I'm giving it as a gift so I have the privilege to decide whether I want to give someone something.

Originally Posted by scshift

Ah so it's cool if it's for me but it's terrible for anyone else. I can violate values I impose on others as long as the purchase is for me. Cool. Gotcha.

But wait are you saying that it's not okay to choose what gift you want to give someone that you're buying with your own money? So it's ridiculous for me to not want to spend money on a Big Mac for someone after they just ate, even though it's my money? No one here is telling anyone else what to do with their money. Yes, you can violate whatever values you want when you're spending your own money.

That's my opinion. It's my money and I'm giving it as a gift so I have the privilege to decide whether I want to give someone something.

Then why are you in this thread then? Men are buying rings/watches with their own money for their significant others and vice versa. What did you think was going on? Blackmail? Dirty bought that ring with his own money. You know that right? But you can't let them be right? It has to be justified .

I never said those women don't exist, I'm sure they do...specially if their mind is not set on getting married anytime soon...tell me have you ever met a girl you'd want to marry and told her, I'll marry you but don't expect a ring or a wedding from me...what was her reaction, a few will probably be ok with that, the majority won't...

I'm a traditional dude, I'm happy with my life and my choices, what is it to you, you find that disgusting...hell bro, I feel sorry for you...go live your life completely isolated from humanity, majority of people live by traditions one way or another wether they understand them or not, it's life...if you plan on changing that, you have your work cut out for you, otherwise respect what others decide to believe in.

It's all about tradition SC, why would you even bring up something as stupid as a diamond encrusted PS3....c'mon man.

And best of luck finding a girl who wouldn't care about the ring....really mean that.

roll.gif

AH YES!

Because you think its pointless to change things you've admitted were pointless then we shouldn't try to address them.

Good thing we stopped doing other traditions...like fixed marriage, or stoning non-virgins...or mandatory circumcision...or slavery... or racism.

You basically said...I give up. I can't find someone that doesn't value the same principles of INTRINSIC love for one another rather than showing it off....so i'll just play the game.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I'm sure DC and Silly would have no problems getting their girls rings.Alright, maybe the rings costed about as much as a sushi dinner.But they still got them rings right? The issue is spending a large sum of money on something with minimal use. That's illogical and wasteful, especially if the couple isn't financially secure.
laugh.gif
Damn Monta, am I THAT bad man.

@KSteezy, it is more so the principle that I am against. An object that somehow determines how much I love another human. And the fact that people buy into it and the fact that the Diamond Boys have convinced millions of women that if a man really loves you, he will do whatever it takes to make you happy via a nice ring/big wedding. I mean I hear you when you say that you should get what you afford, but come on we all know that MOST women want the "best." They want something that shines and sparkles and something they can be asked questions about. Only a rare creature won't care about how the ring looks. Even the most low-maintenance woman would want something nice on her finger.

Me knowing that the motive behind a ring is to stunt, deny it if you want, makes me not want to be part of the process. It is going to PAIN me to have to buy a ring and I don't care how much it costs. I am a low-maintenance dude that is against all forms of stunting/bragging etc, so that is why I hate it so much. It is stunting that is accepted and promoted and ingrained in women's minds to desire.
All of this.

These chicks want WEDDINGS...not marriages. Word to Kim K.

This is exactly what i'm talking about:

Go be a monk playboy. I'm done here. You're coming from a nonsensical POV. If every purchase is a luxury to you, then what are we discussing then? Nothing.
Is it nonsense because it is stupid or is it nonsense because it is far removed from what you can agree with? If you think I am stupid, fine thankyou.
happy.gif

I mean we learn wants/needs in 1st grade right? XBOX, Cars, Deadstocks, are all luxury items. We don't need them, we just want them. So again, half of those other threads I don't even "see." I see what interests me and respond. This topic always interests me and I am surprised my man LDJ isn't in here fighting with KSteezy.

But as far as the monk comment is concerned, I am essentially an Urban Monk. One day I will move on to the next step, one step at a time though. And yes, I am dead serious.
glasses.gif

It's all about tradition SC, why would you even bring up something as stupid as a diamond encrusted PS3....c'mon man.

It was an example illustrating that we all have things we feel are not very practical and therefore not worthy of spending a lot of money on.

Some of my aunts and uncles don't wear rings. They didn't have much growing up, weren't able to afford a gaudy ring or anything more than a barebones wedding. Now, even though they have money, they don't wear the rings because they never saw a need for it. They loved each other before they had money or rings to prove it.

Not every girl thinks like that. Just like not every guy wants to go around smashing everything that moves. A lot of people might, but there are exceptions. That's what I'm after, an exception. I'm not going to find this person. I'm not breaking my back to find someone that matches my beliefs and values. If I'm lucky enough to meet one, that's great. If not, you can't miss what you never had.

Dirty, I didn't mean that in a sarcastic way, you guys are taking what I say out of context, I really do wish you guys luck in finding the woman that will be on the same level as you guys go with the whole tradition do, there are women out there like that....now is that the majority of women, doubt it....are you gonna go your whole life in this search, or perhaps end up alone because of that???...is your will that strong, that you will never open up to it?...who knows...best of luck fellas....I DONOT mean that in a sarcastic way at all, seriously.

Then why are you in this thread then? Men are buying rings/watches with their own money for their significant others and vice versa. What did you think was going on? Blackmail? Dirty bought that ring with his own money. You know that right? But you can't let them be right? It has to be justified .

I made it clear that I wasn't telling anyone what to do. I said all my posts were referring to my personal opinions of how I wanted to live. I clearly stated "I'm not criticizing anyone's decision on what to do with their money or how they want to treat their loved ones."

Just because I appear to be on the same side as DC and Silly doesn't mean I have exactly the same views. And what, they can't be in this thread either? This is a discussion board. Not an "everyone agrees enter and everyone who doesn't can leave" board.

I'm a traditional dude, I'm happy with my life and my choices, what is it to you, you find that disgusting...hell bro, I feel sorry for you...go live your life completely isolated from humanity, majority of people live by traditions one way or another wether they understand them or not, it's life...if you plan on changing that, you have your work cut out for you, otherwise respect what others decide to believe in.
I know you talking to Putty but my issue with you and your whole tradition spiel is when you attempt to question the moral compass of those that don't accept a specific tradition. You called me and someone else names and even questioned our intelligence because we have an issue with subscribing to this tradition. I never claimed what I thought was right but you seem to be pushing the "tradition is right" idea. Re-read your posts if you don't understand how I am coming to that conclusion.

Sounds like a good idea, but it's kind of an after the fact type thing. I mean a woman isn't gonna take a guy out, get down on one knee and open up a watch box.... I wouldn't even know what to do. Also, would I have to wear this all the time like a woman would an engagement ring?...

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of getting a nice watch and all. Something like this would be good to get on the day of the wedding, but then that would fall under the category of a gift with all the others received that day IMO

Originally Posted by sillyputty

roll.gif

AH YES!

Because you think its pointless to change things you've admitted were pointless then we shouldn't try to address them.

Good thing we stopped doing other traditions...like fixed marriage, or stoning non-virgins...or mandatory�circumcision...or slavery... or racism.

You basically said...I give up. I can't find someone that doesn't value the same principles of INTRINSIC love for one another rather than showing it off....so i'll just play the game.

I'm sure DC and Silly would have no problems getting their girls rings.�Alright, maybe the rings costed about as much as a sushi dinner.�But they still got them rings right? The issue is spending a large sum of money on something with minimal use. That's illogical and wasteful, especially if the couple isn't financially secure.
laugh.gif
�Damn Monta, am I THAT bad man.

@KSteezy, it is more so the principle that I am against. An object that somehow determines how much I love another human. And the fact that people buy into it and the fact that the Diamond Boys have convinced millions of women that if a man really loves you, he will do whatever it takes to make you happy via a nice ring/big wedding. I mean I hear you when you say that you should get what you afford, but come on we all know that MOST women want the "best." They want something that shines and sparkles and something they can be asked questions about. Only a rare creature won't care about how the ring looks. Even the most low-maintenance woman would want something nice on her finger.�

Me knowing that the motive behind a ring is to stunt, deny it if you want, makes me not want to be part of the process. It is going to PAIN me to have to buy a ring and I don't care how much it costs. I am a low-maintenance dude that is against all forms of stunting/bragging etc, so that is why I hate it so much. It is stunting that is accepted and promoted and ingrained in women's minds to desire.
All of this.

These chicks want WEDDINGS...not marriages. Word to Kim K.

This is exactly what i'm talking about:

This is when you lose me, "I give up, I can't find..." bro, the decision on marryin a woman doesn't rely solely on the ring....I didn't marry her because I couldn't find someone who didn't value live like I did, I married her because I love her and I PERSONALLY wanted to fully committ the way I was brought up....sorry if that disgusts you so much....
roll.gif
@ you insinuating I settled....

Dirty, I didn't mean that in a sarcastic way, you guys are taking what I say out of context, I really do wish you guys luck in finding the woman that will be on the same level as you guys go with the whole tradition do, there are women out there like that....now is that the majority of women, doubt it....are you gonna go your whole life in this search, or perhaps end up alone because of that???...is your will that strong, that you will never open up to it?...who knows...best of luck fellas....I DONOT mean that in a sarcastic way at all, seriously.
Essentially...we should just "play the game"
I'm sorry. Thats just not good enough for me. 

Then why are you in this thread then? Men are buying rings/watches with their own money for their significant others and vice versa. What did you think was going on? Blackmail? Dirty bought that ring with his own money. You know that right? But you can't let them be right? It has to be justified .

I made it clear that I wasn't telling anyone what to do. I said all my posts were referring to my personal opinions of how I wanted to live. I clearly stated "I'm not criticizing anyone's decision on what to do with their money or how they want to treat their loved ones."

Just because I appear to be on the same side as DC and Silly doesn't mean I have exactly the same views. And what, they can't be in this thread either? This is a discussion board. Not an "everyone agrees enter and everyone who doesn't can leave" board.

This is the default response people have on here...its kinda funny. When you start addressing something they thought was "sacred" or "untouchable" they start getting defensive and sticking to character assessments. 

I know you talking to Putty but my issue with you and your whole tradition spiel is when you attempt to question the moral compass of those that don't accept a specific tradition. You called me and someone else names and even questioned our intelligence because we have an issue with subscribing to this tradition. I never claimed what I thought was right but you seem to be pushing the "tradition is right" idea. Re-read your posts if you don't understand how I am coming to that conclusion.

Sorry if I called you names or made it seemed like I was pushing my tradition down your throat, I apologize.I'm really nobody to question what you do with your money, your life, your relationship...I owe you guys that much respect, perhaps silly should do the same....this is a topic in which we all run around like headless chickens spitting nonsense and covering up with glitter, there is no set way to live a happy life, do what makes you happy...that's all it is, we can't come to that agreement at the least?

Then why are you in this thread then? Men are buying rings/watches with their own money for their significant others and vice versa. What did you think was going on? Blackmail? Dirty bought that ring with his own money. You know that right? But you can't let them be right? It has to be justified .

This is the default response people have on here...its kinda funny. When you start addressing something they thought was "sacred" or "untouchable" they start getting defensive and sticking to character assessments. 

It's not good enough for you?...news flash bro, the world doesn't revolve around you and NOONE owes you an explanation on how they should lead their lives.

It's not good enough for you?...news flash bro, the world doesn't revolve around you and NOONE owes you an explanation on how they should lead their lives.

Did you jump over a broom at your wedding. No?

Did you bathe in the ganges river? No?

Did you put hooks in your back and carry a cross? No?

Did you travel to Mecca? No?

Did you keep a beard as commanded by your religious book? No?

Did you wash your wife's feet at your wedding? No? 

There is an infinite list of "traditions" you don't follow...why? Because they're not important to you...and more importantly THEY DONT MAKE ANY SENSE TO SUPPORT. 

Try telling some isolated natives that baby sacrifice isn't a good idea. See how well that goes oever. 

Well guess what, thousands of people do a bunch of crap you don't find important...but you're too selfish to stand BESIDE yourself and assess what it is that you think automatically gets a pass. Seems funny, right? 

That didn't seem like an important "tradition" to you, did it? Removing the foreskin of your penis, putting your hands together to pray, kneeling before a king, quinceaneras, bar mitzvahs, rain dances. 

But in your eyes, we should just do things like buy wedding rings, get married and do whatever YOUR society says to do.

Your justification is NOT good enough because you're neglecting to assess your OWN societal standards and how valid they are. 

You give YOUR standards a pass without even validating them but have no problem passing judgement on other traditions. 

Your traditions appear equally as pointless to those outside of your culture as theirs do to you.

Its about perspective. Do you have any? 

My point is, "well thats what we do"...is NOT a good reason to do something. 

Btw Dirty that looks like a past, present, future ring, I proposed with practically the same type of ring. :thumbs up:

Wait in order to lead a rightful life I must be in touch with every single tradition every corner of the world has??...why should I care about a tradition I don't follow?...does that mean I should step to a black wedding and say they are stupid sheeps for jumping a broom?...that's where YOU are wrong, you demand explanations and question people for following their traditions, like who the %++# do you really think you are????....seriously?

Go be a monk playboy. I'm done here. You're coming from a nonsensical POV. If every purchase is a luxury to you, then what are we discussing then? Nothing.
Is it nonsense because it is stupid or is it nonsense because it is far removed from what you can agree with? If you think I am stupid, fine thankyou.
happy.gif

I mean we learn wants/needs in 1st grade right? XBOX, Cars, Deadstocks, are all luxury items. We don't need them, we just want them. So again, half of those other threads I don't even "see." I see what interests me and respond. This topic always interests me and I am surprised my man LDJ isn't in here fighting with KSteezy.

But as far as the monk comment is concerned, I am essentially an Urban Monk. One day I will move on to the next step, one step at a time though. And yes, I am dead serious.
glasses.gif

That's cool man. Really is. But no one cares. I didn't see anyone asking you to justify your life's decisions. But, of course, almighty you must force others to do that. Everyone seems to be programmed but you. Everyone else's pursuit of happiness isn't authentic. Yours, however, is genuine. This is transparent in every single one of your responses in this thread. I'm trying to take the discussion beyond rings but you say everything outside of the very bare necessities is a luxury. Of course, then there can not be a discussion at all because every object is inherently meaningless to you. There's no discussion to be had with that POV.
ScShift, if you think this is a discussion, shame on you. You and others say rings are meaningless. Others say they aren't. They talk about intangible concepts. I say this argument could be applied to almost every purchase on the face of this Earth. Say I think super nice cars are pointless. That's my view but obviously not yours. So what? That doesn't mean anything. That's not a worthwhile discussion, just like this one.

Wait in order to lead a rightful life I must be in touch with every single tradition every corner of the world has??...why should I care about a tradition I don't follow?...does that mean I should step to a black wedding and say they are stupid sheeps for jumping a broom?...that's where YOU are wrong, you demand explanations and question people for following their traditions, like who the %++# do you really think you are????....seriously?

Ahhhhhhh! 
eek.gif

BINGO!

Why do you care about the traditions you DO follow? 

You don't even know WHY you do the things you do...you just do them. AMAZING! 
roll.gif

This is my point...I have no problem with certain things we do...we have a tradition to NOT kill, steal, rape, or lie, wash your hands, get the flu shot, work out regularly, etc.

There is a reason that we can use to justify those concepts MORE than "buy a ring, get married, etc"

The amazing part is, you already know the traditions you dont follow are pretty pointless and some are borderline stupid...but some-how YOUR traditions automatically get a pass and are free from criticism. Its lovely how that works. 

ScShift, if you think this is a discussion, shame on you. You and others say rings are meaningless. Others say they aren't. They talk about intangible concepts. I say this argument could be applied to almost every purchase on the face of this Earth. Say I think super nice cars are pointless. That's my view but obviously not yours. So what? That doesn't mean anything. That's not a worthwhile discussion, just like this one.

I'll admit, yes, you're right, this really isn't a worthwhile discussion. It's all opinion-based, and at the end of the thread no one's opinion is going to have changed.

There are still loads of opinion-based threads on NT though. It wouldn't be a discussion if it was fact based. Someone would be right, someone would be wrong, end of story. I can get facts on Google. I come here to listen to other people's opinions and to share my own.

You think supercars are pointless? Sure, I respect that. I can see why you would think that. Lots of people do. I'll even admit, they really have no practical use apart from making the owner feel good. But I'm not asking anyone to buy me a supercar as a symbol of how much they love me. That would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? Of course, I'll gladly spend my own money on it. It's what I want. But I would never expect or even want someone else to give me one.

I'll admit, yes, you're right, this really isn't a worthwhile discussion. It's all opinion-based, and at the end of the thread no one's opinion is going to have changed.

There are still loads of opinion-based threads on NT though. It wouldn't be a discussion if it was fact based. Someone would be right, someone would be wrong, end of story. I can get facts on Google. I come here to listen to other people's opinions and to share my own.

You think supercars are pointless? Sure, I respect that. I can see why you would think that. Lots of people do. I'll even admit, they really have no practical use apart from making the owner feel good. But I'm not asking anyone to buy me a supercar as a symbol of how much they love me. That would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? Of course, I'll gladly spend my own money on it. It's what I want. But I would never expect or even want someone else to give me one.

The thing is this was an opinion thread that I was interested in: about watches as perfect substitutes for wedding rings. That was actually being discussed before the entire concept of giving something to someone you marry, on your own terms, was questioned. A lot of people think it's all about coercion when there are legitimate reasons for the concept of a ring/watch. It looks good and it's always accessible and easy to display on your person. While people assume it's only about "stunting", why can't I assume and purchase with the intent that it's about displaying the commitment? I sure as hell want to easily show the world how much I enjoy being with ___. Is that so bad? We all project our values every single day in a variety of ways. Why is this one taboo?

Is any of this necessary? No. But what really is? That's where I was trying to take the conversation but to DC, absolutely nothing outside of the bare necessities is worthwhile. Where can the discussion possibly go from there? Nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom