NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

sick.gif
sick.gif
Tough loss...should of scored against wagner
mad.gif
  We suck

I'd buy tickets for the Promenade just because they're 11 bucks.

Francesca was having a field day ripping Wright's defense today, he's gonna have even more fun tomorrow. This team just knows how to play well enough to lose.

This squad is a joke, 80 wins here we come(maybe)

Our offense is close to unwatchable.

After this season, it's time to gut out the core and start ALL over. Goodbye Omar, Goodbye Jerry, Goodbye Reyes, Goodbye Wright.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Wanna trade Chris Carters?
Isn't yours supposed to be a stud? How's he doing?

I don't see how trading Wright and Reyes makes this a better team. The coaching staff has to go and see how we do under people that know what they're doing. We pick up another arm, and clean house, I guarantee we make a run for the playoffs. This team is just like that Rockies team that fired their manager and then went on a huge tear.

I love this trade this trade that talk when everyone knew this season would be a long one going in.

This would be a season where some young guys will be called up and its panned out that way so far, they could easily be in the mix of things if the had their lineup in tact. Starters have been a pleasant surprise, if we had a # 2 I could live with Neise and Maine as the 4 and 5 and we'd have one of the better rotations in the division.

They just found a way to let this game slip, if Wright gets a sac fly there and we win, everyone would be quiet.

Frustrating yes but ya'll go overboard sometimes.

I think we're going to add Cliff Lee before July 31st. The only question I have is, would you trade Wilmer Flores to get him?
If we can get Lee in a trade by giving up Fernando Martinez, Daniel Murphy, Jeurys Familia, and Brad Holt, I'd be ecstatic. Idk if the Mariners would bite on that, though, and we'd probably have to include one or maybe two of Dillon Gee, Kirk Niuwenheis, Wilmer Flores, and Reese Havens.

Say what you want about Omar, but our farm isn't really all that bad. Sure we don't have many top 5 future stud prospects, but we have a bunch of guys with good potential to be solid players under the age of 21 like Juan Urbina and Steve Matz who just underwent Tommy John.

Something HAS to be done...and soon. Sure, we knew going in we wouldn't be contenders but the fanbase is just gonna get more and more disgruntled if it keeps going this way, attendance will stay down and they'll just be losing revenue, so the Wilpons need to sack up and make a move.

Making a move is fine, but not if it won't benefit us beyond this season (nothing short term or anything with a bad contract).

...and a few yrs ago the farm wasn't too good, right now its pretty damn good.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Sure we don't have many top 5 future stud prospects, but we have a bunch of guys with good potential to be solid players under the age of 21

That's exactly what the Mariners will want back.  If not they'll ask for your best four prospects.  Are you ready to give up that much for Cliff Lee?  They're going to want a ransom back for Lee.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Sure we don't have many top 5 future stud prospects, but we have a bunch of guys with good potential to be solid players under the age of 21

That's exactly what the Mariners will want back.  If not they'll ask for your best four prospects.  Are you ready to give up that much for Cliff Lee?  They're going to want a ransom back for Lee.
Honestly, with how young this team already is, and situated at every position except second base and one of the outfield spots (Which could be filled this off-season via free agency) I have no problem gutting the farm to bring in Cliff Lee. There's no reason why we can't make a pennant run with Santana, Lee, Pelfrey and Shniese as our 4 playoff starters. Sign a solid number 5 in the off-season to a one year deal, maybe Kevin Milwood and we're money. Mejia, Flores and Matz are the only players I really want to keep that are down south.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Making a move is fine, but not if it won't benefit us beyond this season (nothing short term or anything with a bad contract).

...and a few yrs ago the farm wasn't too good, right now its pretty damn good.
My statement about making a move didn't necessarily have to do with a trade, especially not a short-sighted one.  I just believe that something has to change, whether its within the coaching staff, Jerry, Hojo, Warthen...whoever, managment OR a trade.  I don't see how they can continue forward without what either seems to be a short-term or long-term plan for success.  Other teams are going out and putting pieces in place while the Mets sit on their heels and hope for the best. 

I think it's become obvious that whether it's Minaya, the Wilpons or Manuel, they do not seem to be on the same page and have a true vision for success and remaining truly competitive.  Mets fans see the final result, which is losing baseball and they're not happy.  Reluctance to not only spend money now but to not be proactive and go out and do what's needed is only gonna hurt them in the long run.  If you want to get big-named, valuable players, you have to show them a willingness to win or pay up.

At this point I've always blamed ownership more because Omar is only allowed to do so much, yeah the payroll is ok but this isn't a small market team they should be able to spend a bit more.

Point is though, they actually have a chance to do SOMETHING this season and it can be done with a right move. I love the youthful players contributing like Ike, Animal, Mejia etc.....a guy like Mejia will be sent down though once Igarashi returns (and rightfully so). He needs to be in the starting rotation come next season.
pimp.gif

Some stuff from Metsblog:

[h2]Opinion: David Wright is Alone[/h2]
May 19, 2010 at 10:13 am · 136 comments

by Matthew Cerrone
“Two years ago, would you have taken a bet that David Wright was on the fast track to the Hall of Fame?  In four full seasons he had already been in four consecutive All-Star games and picked up a pair of Gold Gloves and two Silver Sluggers.  Then he endured the 10-home run oddity last year and now, it’s hard to even explain what is going on this season.

WHOOOOOOO
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Pagan is everywhere on the field, inside the park HR made that nice catch that saved at least 2 runs and now just made a TRIPLE play.  Beltran who?
tongue.gif

Pagan played his *@% off, too bad this O has just been silent all season long. People took for granted how clutch Beltran/Gado.

Its pretty much Wright who looks to put too much pressure on himself, a catcher playing over his head, and Bay on pace for 5 HR this season (like the article above says), and Reyes who is looking to take a while to get it going, and Franc who will prob hit .220.
sick.gif

But everything is magnified when you lose, they could've still won these games but they have just given em away recently which is annoying. Jerry isn't helping his cause either and I like Jerry (most of the time).

When your payroll is as high as the Mets and you see this crap on the field, it's time for major changes in my opinion. 

Wright is one of my favorite players but when he sucks, I will admit it too.  He hasn't been the same since getting hit in the head last year.  Come season's end, it might be time to part with the core that has been part of the last 5 seasons.  2006 was our shot, we blew it.  We haven't been able to create what we had that year with Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Delgado, Maine, and Ollie P.  Only untouchables we have are Santana, Ike Davis, and maybe Mejia.  Otherwise, it's time to blow it up.

Johnny Maine tomorrow, this should be fun

Another thing to point out about Wright that I read in the paper is he just may still be suffering the effects of that beaning last season.

Nobody wants to cop to this — not Wright, not Manuel, not anyone — buthe does flinch at inside pitches, especially breaking stuff fromrighties, and it’s impossible not to believe the beaning he absorbedfrom Matt Cain lastyear isn’t at least partially to blame. The book on Wright now is tobust him inside early, then put him away on the outside half.

That's why David needs to hunch over the plate, let himself get hit in the shoulder and then charge the mound and lay the pitcher the +!%+ out. He needs to grow some balls and overcome this while showing other teams that busting him inside is going to cause problems. He's not going to be able to hit those inside pitches this year, but he might as well kick someone's **$ and have people afraid of him. It's that old act completely crazy before fighting somebody technique and hoping they think you're such a nut that they walk away before the fight begins.

Then again, I could just be saying that because I've been waiting a long time to see this team get into a benches clearing brawl where punches were actually thrown.

laugh.gif

This team has ZERO fire (for a brawl).

eek.gif
@ Dave hitting .430 when he actually puts the ball in play.

Wright's been hitting .250 since he got beaned by Cain. Was at a solid .325 before. He needs to stop being afraid of inside pitches. Take a look at some tape of Jeter from 97-03 when he would draw his hands in and send those pitches the other way. Pitchers started to squeeze him inside and he adjusted. If David can't learn to adjust, he'll be finished. The blueprint is already out there of how to beat him.

This is too much. Maine clearly cannot be a starter anymore. Put him in the bullpen where he actually might be serviceable, call up Dillon Gee and see if we could showcase him a little bit and get Seattle on the phone and see what they want for Cliff Lee. We can't go another two weeks with what we have. We'll be buried.

This is too much. Maine clearly cannot be a starter anymore. Put him in the bullpen where he actually might be serviceable, call up Dillon Gee and see if we could showcase him a little bit and get Seattle on the phone and see what they want for Cliff Lee. We can't go another two weeks with what we have. We'll be buried.
QFT

Wright was off before the beaning though.

How quickly some of you forget:

2005 - .306/27/102 , .38:nerd:bp , .911ops , .298 risp , .538 bases loaded(13 ab's)
2006 - .311/26/116 , .381obp , .912ops , .365 risp , .400 bases loaded(15 ab's)
2007 - .325/30/107 , .416obp , .962ops , .310 risp , .444 bases loaded(9 ab's)

With 20 steals a season.....Wright has been in a bad place for a bit but to give up on a 27 year old is just ridiculous (same with Reyes).

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Wright was off before the beaning though.

How quickly some of you forget:

2005 - .306/27/102 , .38:nerd:bp , .911ops , .298 risp , .538 bases loaded(13 ab's)
2006 - .311/26/116 , .381obp , .912ops , .365 risp , .400 bases loaded(15 ab's)
2007 - .325/30/107 , .416obp , .962ops , .310 risp , .444 bases loaded(9 ab's)

With 20 steals a season.....Wright has been in a bad place for a bit but to give up on a 27 year old is just ridiculous (same with Reyes).
I'm confident Wright will find his way back, he is in a rought stretch right now uneniably though.  He'll bounce back.

Reyes on the other hand
ohwell.gif
...He looks two steps slower, and it isn't like he sat out last year with one huge problem.  It was a small injury that just draged out.  And speed isn't something that lasts as long as power, it fades away a lot quicker, and Reyes's game is based on it.  I say keep him for a couple year, hope he can turn it on and bail on him when Wilmer Flores is ready, which will prolly be 2-3 years.

This team didn't look great tonight, Nats lost this game more than we won.  This season is going to end up like last one unless we get Cliff somehow.  Bay needs to start hitting for some power too, one home run ain't cutting it.

Back
Top Bottom