NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

Why the hell is Jerry using Nieve on Saturday? The guy can barely pitch an inning right now and we're going to use him to hopefully go 5, maybe 6 innings? Jerry could really be a moron. Just bring up Misch or Gee and send Dessens down.

They showed something after the game that the I Like Ike shirts are being sold at Modell's and that (I'm sure some of) the money is going towards charity.

I don't like the idea of starting Nieve either, he's overworked as it is and I don't know that he'll be able to go that far into the ballgame. I guess some of it has to do with what players have options and all that. I wouldn't be surprised if they're thinking they can substitute Ollie in there for a few innings. Niese is supposed to have a minor league start before he comes back even though he's eligible on Tuesday, so we'll have to make do for a while. Just need to get him healthy.

I had said early I doubted Beltran would be back by the All-Star break...now I bet anything even close to that is optimistic.

Aye que lindo Joselito
pimp.gif

He's starting to put things together...knock on wood. I just hope that doesn't make him HR happy. Just keep driving the ball like that, if he gets a double or triple, that works too.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again...Takahashi IS/WILL be the backbone of the Mets rotation.  This guy has been nothing but consistent for the Mets
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Wright was off before the beaning though.

How quickly some of you forget:

2005 - .306/27/102 , .38:nerd:bp , .911ops , .298 risp , .538 bases loaded(13 ab's)
2006 - .311/26/116 , .381obp , .912ops , .365 risp , .400 bases loaded(15 ab's)
2007 - .325/30/107 , .416obp , .962ops , .310 risp , .444 bases loaded(9 ab's)

With 20 steals a season.....Wright has been in a bad place for a bit but to give up on a 27 year old is just ridiculous (same with Reyes).
I'm confident Wright will find his way back, he is in a rought stretch right now uneniably though.  He'll bounce back.

Reyes on the other hand
ohwell.gif
...He looks two steps slower, and it isn't like he sat out last year with one huge problem.  It was a small injury that just draged out.  And speed isn't something that lasts as long as power, it fades away a lot quicker, and Reyes's game is based on it.  I say keep him for a couple year, hope he can turn it on and bail on him when Wilmer Flores is ready, which will prolly be 2-3 years.

^ you don't think its a little too early to say Reyes is back . Even though I always said when Reyes is going the team also goes. If he goes through June like this stretch we will be in first

^ you don't think its a little too early to say Reyes is back . Even though I always said when Reyes is going the team also goes. If he goes through June like this stretch we will be in first

Back or not, his approach at the plate has been fantastic throughout this stretch, and that's what matters most.

It may be too early to say Jose's back...but it was also WAY to early to act like he hadn't been out for a year and basically was just going through spring training, wanting to trade him, etc. Who knows, he could go right back to slumping and get hurt but he's showing glimpses of what we've come to expect from him.

I mean, look at Bay even. He has quietly become a valuable player after looking like crap. Yeah, he doesn't have the HR numbers but I'm sure he was pressing a little and might be getting more comfortable too.

Personally, I still thinking we need to pick up a starting pitcher and/or have our guys healthy before I'll get excited. The whole team has just been really inconsistent but it's good to see them win back to back series against very good teams. Now we just need to avoid letting up and close out the series.

Our inconsistencies, although usually on offense, have been because of Maine and Ollie thrown out there every 5th day.

I like Maine a lot but he has a lot of mental obstacles to go through, and Ollie needs to rot in the pen.

When you have guys give you consistent outings night in and night out, the pressure comes off the offense to do too much and they can just relax. Past week or so 2 out rbi hits are coming with regularity.

Takahashi knows what he is doing out there on the mound. We get a # 2 starter (even though Pelf has pitched like an ace for other team), and with our most talented player coming after the all star break, they can make a push.

True about the starting pitching (Maine & Ollie) but we weren't showing much life offensively either and now we are, especially with Reyes and Bay hitting.

Originally Posted by holdupstop23

If only Jerry was smart enough to take Castillo out of the two hole, this team could really take off.
And who do you want to hit there? The 2 hole is the only spot Castillo could hit in and be effective. You bat him 8th and you're getting nothing out of him. At least in the 2 spot he could draw a walk, move Reyes over, get a little base hit, etc.

I'm starting to think that with the way Taki Taki has been throwing that we don't need to go out and gut our farm for Oswalt or Lee. We could still make a playoff run by trading for a guy like Milwood who is a consistent innings eating pitcher that will occasionally throw a dominant game. Now if Taki Taki starts giving up 4 runs or more a game, then we might be in trouble and need to make a move for a more dominant starter, but I'll be pretty satisfied if he has an ERA under 4.25 and Kevin Milwood is a part of our rotation.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If only Jerry was smart enough to take Castillo out of the two hole, this team could really take off.
And who do you want to hit there? The 2 hole is the only spot Castillo could hit in and be effective. You bat him 8th and you're getting nothing out of him. At least in the 2 spot he could draw a walk, move Reyes over, get a little base hit, etc.

I'm starting to think that with the way Taki Taki has been throwing that we don't need to go out and gut our farm for Oswalt or Lee. We could still make a playoff run by trading for a guy like Milwood who is a consistent innings eating pitcher that will occasionally throw a dominant game. Now if Taki Taki starts giving up 4 runs or more a game, then we might be in trouble and need to make a move for a more dominant starter, but I'll be pretty satisfied if he has an ERA under 4.25 and Kevin Milwood is a part of our rotation.
Actually, the 2 hole is the WORST spot for him. You want someone that can actually swing a bat to bat behind Reyes. Wasting an out to "move Reyes over" is competely stupid when he could just steal a base.
Castillo should be batting 8th just clearing the pitcher.

Reyes

Pagan

Bay

Wright

Ike

French

Barajas

Slappy

Originally Posted by CDonWasHisName

castillo is best at two cause he rarely strikes out and you want a contact hitter there

That's perfect for an 8th hitter.
 If someone is going to bat so high in the lineup and get the 2nd most ab's of the team, he should at least know how to swing a bat.

I'm sure it'll be around the trade deadline whether we know if it's even worthwhile to make a trade, what the rotation looks like at that point and where we are in the standings. I've love to see us compete and if we're in it and just missing a starter (even if it is a Millwood type), make some sort of move to show that management is willing to be aggressive. Then in the offseason, open up the wallets and get Cliff Lee or Crawford and trade for a pitcher.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Actually, the 2 hole is the WORST spot for him. You want someone that can actually swing a bat to bat behind Reyes. Wasting an out to "move Reyes over" is competely stupid when he could just steal a base.
Castillo should be batting 8th just clearing the pitcher.

Reyes

Pagan

Bay

Wright

Ike

French

Barajas

Slappy
Reyes steals second and then Castillo moves him over to third so all Bay has to do is get a sac fly to give the Mets the lead. That's much easier to do than driving in Reyes from second with a base hit. I hate Castillo, but his small ball style is perfect for the 2 spot and only the 2 spot. What he does is completely useless to you in the 8 hole because then you have the pitcher up who is an automatic out. Moving the runner over to third when you have the pitcher up does nothing for you.

Word to LoDuca.

Castillo is really the least of our problems, he has 26 AB with RISP and has 10 RBI, 2 for 2 with the bases loaded....in minimal chances he comes through from time to time.

He is in a platoon with Cora anyways.

JohnnyRedStorm wrote:
Reyes steals second and then Castillo moves him over to third so all Bay has to do is get a sac fly to give the Mets the lead. That's much easier to do than driving in Reyes from second with a base hit. I hate Castillo, but his small ball style is perfect for the 2 spot and only the 2 spot. What he does is completely useless to you in the 8 hole because then you have the pitcher up who is an automatic out. Moving the runner over to third when you have the pitcher up does nothing for you. 

I see what you're saying but it's so stupid to give up an out like that when you have Reyes on base. Reyes on base = more fastballs. You waste all of those hittable pitches because you have a awful hitter at the plate in Castillo bunting or slapping. And Castillo is much more suitable batting 8th because he clears the pitcher with his good OBP, which is way more important than anything he does batting 2nd.
Lo Duca had 46 xbh's on 06 because of Reyes.

I do not agree with Castillo bunting with Reyes on 1st and no outs but he usually does that in late innings when Reyes takes forever to steal anyways (sometimes Reyes even steals 3rd after wards). He usually bluffs that though and hits a ground ball to advance him anyways....I am not a Slappy fan at all but in a predominantly fastball hitting lineup you need a guy like that who at least puts the ball in play and does not strike out.

In a perfect world he wouldn't be here but he is not as AWFUL. Not great but not awful....he is making some nice defensive plays out there tonight.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 at those who thinks we are better off trading Reyes...
pimp.gif
 Another great start by Pelfrey

sick.gif
 the way the Phillies are playing but hey we're able to capitalize

Back
Top Bottom