New York Yankees Official Thread - at Phils; 64-45 - Jazz Show is LIVE

Ok you convinced me. They all deserved it ..

What about Clemens? Or arod?

Cmon bro, they ain't going to the HOF why would the Yanks retire 2 rented players numbers.

Paul O'Neil's another one. Heart of those early teams that won. Dude gave everything. Another person who made huge plays and hits when we needed em. Clutch ...

Out of all the retired numbers, here is who it is unquestionable:

Martin, Jeter, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Torre, Mantle, Berra/Dickey, Rizzuto (for broadcast time), Munson (would have been if he didn’t die), Ford, Mattingly, Howard, Stengel, Rivera, Pettitte

Borderline: Posada, O’Neill, Guidry (fine with all of them not, but also fine if they are)

Who shouldn’t be: Maris, Jackson

Maris got it for 1 crazy year. And Jackson got it for being a personality and 1 huge World Series Game.
Just because it randomly popped in my head, Jackson’s 5 years in NY was comparable to Giambi’s first 5 years like within 10% of each other.

I mean pettite and mattingly not getting into the HOF either. I’m not for either btw. Just asking the question. Clemens might have more of a claim then you are letting on though.

I agree with Maris and Jackson. Maris broke the record that no one thought would be broken. Reggie had that 3 hr game in the WS . Thats about it as far as i can remember. I actually remember when my uncles and dad went nuts during those times with Reggie doing that. The son of sam days. But i would be weird watchin someone rock 44 again. I think half the time thats what it is. Fans connect guys with the #. Seeing another guys in these #'s would be a downer ...

And chill son , Mattingly is my alltime favorite Yankee..

I agree with Maris and Jackson. Maris broke the record that no one thought would be broken. Reggie had that 3 hr game in the WS . Thats about it as far as i can remember. I actually remember when my uncles and dad went nuts during those times with Reggie doing that. The son of sam days. But i would be weird watchin someone rock 44 again. I think half the time thats what it is. Fans connect guys with the #. Seeing another guys in these #'s would be a downer ...

And chill son , Mattingly is my alltime favorite Yankee..
I always meant to ask you, what was it like to watch Babe Ruth play?

I mean pettite and mattingly not getting into the HOF either. I’m not for either btw. Just asking the question. Clemens might have more of a claim then you are letting on though.

I’d say time + homegrown are huge factors for why Pettitte is and Clemens isn’t.

But Judge is the only guy who currently doesn’t have a retired number that will.

Cano and ARod should but steroids. Then a lot of needed more time (Clemens, CC, Mussina, Hideki)

Yea I’m not with that. Bernie def should. Petite should too. Doesn’t he still own the postseason record for most wins still? Those guys definitely should have their’s retired for the parts they played during their careers with us and their postseason contributions.
Yea but that's more bc he was always on good teams that was always in the playoffs, not bc he was whirling shutouts. He has 276 IP. Next highest is 212 IP lol. He has 35% more IP than nay other pitcher in history.

He showed up in big games when needed. There’s no downplaying his importance to the team during that time.

It's all subjective, but for me, it really falls down to the player needing to be the guy for a long stretch. Guys like Bernie and Posada were good players but Jeter and Mo were always the lead untouchable guys. Mattingly before that. Don't care he never won a chip, he was the guy in NY for 15 years. I'm not mad about the other guys getting their numbers retired, I just wouldn't have voted to do it.

He showed up in big games when needed. There’s no downplaying his importance to the team during that time.
Pettitte? He was good. I'm not arguing he wasn't. He wasn't an elite pitcher thought. Numbers don't lie. I think "He was important to the team!" is a low bar for a retired jersey imo.

I always meant to ask you, what was it like to watch Babe Ruth play?

I actually still have the newspaper's of Munson dying and Reggie's 3 HR game. They were my dad's but he left with the shirt on his back so i kept em. As far as Mattingly you youngsters wouldn't understand what he meant here. Yanks were the joke of baseball in the 80's. He was all we had. His grand slams, gold gloves and even being considered the best player in baseball was everything we had to cheer for. Gave us a reason to go to the stadium back then, if not for him that place would've been a graveyard.

This still give me chills and tears :lol:

that fan reaction says it all. picture someone else wearing 23 , if u grew up then u couldn't.

I actually still have the newspaper's of Munson dying and Reggie's 3 HR game. They were my dad's but he left with the shirt on his back so i kept em. As far as Mattingly you youngsters wouldn't understand what he meant here. Yanks were the joke of baseball in the 80's. He was all we had. His grand slams, gold gloves and even being considered the best player in baseball was everything we had to cheer for. Gave us a reason to go to the stadium back then, if not for him that place would've been a graveyard.

This still give me chills and tears :lol:

that fan reaction says it all. picture someone else wearing 23 , if u grew up then u couldn't.

Yep, will forever and always be my favorite sports moment. It can't get better. He was my childhood. It's different as an old guy rooting for guys half your age lol.

Carpenter to the Padres for $12mil

It’s 2yrs $21mil with options and incentives

Dude came off. Forget eye black, needs to play in this next yr :lol:

71dSRvb1FtL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

essential1 essential1 you also collecting Yankees cards?

I’ve got like 15-20 Judge PSA 10 rookies - starting the collection back up for my someday little guy to take over. He’s getting 12 Mantle autos already 😂😂

Back
Top Bottom