New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

Originally Posted by Kn0wledgeable

i wouldnt mind trading cano for peavy. i still like hughes though.

that would be crazy if the yanks get both cc and peavy...it would be lights out from there
I'd rather have cano he'll flourish this season

if we can get peavy, i'd drive cano and hughes myself, help them find a place and unpack their things.

and yes i have stated before i do not want cc. i just have the worst feeling about him signing here, not optimistic at all. but as i've said i would'ntbe upset if we do land him........

Yankees sell rights to pitcher Rasner for $1 million to team in Japan

Right-handed pitcher Darrell Rasner, who started 20 games for the New York Yankees last season, has been sold to a team in Japan for $1 million, his agentsaid.

Rasner, 27, expects to sign a two-year deal with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles of the Pacific League, agent Matt Sosnick said.

Sosnick said he and Rasner recently approached New York general manager Brian Cashman and told him that Rasner would like to pitch in Japan, and that Cashmanand scout Hiroshi Abei helped facilitate the deal.

"Brian made a big effort to make it happen," Sosnick said.

"He really bent over backwards to make this work for Darrell and his family."

Rasner, a second-round draft pick by Montreal in 2002, has a 9-15 record with a 5.00 ERA in four major league seasons.

After getting off to a 3-0 start for the Yankees last season, Rasner finished with a 5-10 record and a 5.40 ERA.

Originally Posted by onewearz

if we can get peavy, i'd drive cano and hughes myself, help them find a place and unpack their things.
laugh.gif

I'd like Robby to stay, but as a piece for Peavy? I'd do it as long as the whole farm ain't thrown in there...Peavy is a stud. Call me crazy, but Ithink he'll thrive more in NY than CC would...
nerd.gif

The thing i don't like about is that Peavy only lasts like 6 innings a start. I think CC will be good the beginning of the contract. I think he'll be abum towards the end of the contract s .I can see him being like how David Wells was for us. Same body type too.

[h1]Yankees Targeting Sabathia, Burnett, Lowe[/h1]
By Alex Walsh [November 15 at 6:39pm CST]

Joel Sherman of the New York Post offers a dream rotation forthe New York Yankees that includes CC Sabathia, Derek Lowe or A.J. Burnett, Chien-MingWang, Joba Chamberlain and Andy Pettitte.

Sherman acknowledges Sabathia's strong perference to stay on the West Coast, but also notes that the Angels and Dodgers may end up havinga lot of their available payroll tied up in contracts for Mark Teixeira and Manny Ramirez, respectively. Along that same lineof thinking, Barry Zito's contract in San Francisco may keep the Giants from getting too involved in the bidding for Sabathia'sservices.

The article also puts Derek Lowe at the top of the Red Sox' list of desired free agents.

[h2]If LeBron says it, it must be true[/h2]

Noted Yankees fan LeBron James was asked tonight if he thought the Yankees would sign CC Sabathia, who is a friend of his.

"We're gonna get him," James said. "Absolutely."

Quick story. I used to cover the UConn basketball team and enjoyed attending the summer recruiting camps to get a first-hand look at the players who were on the rise. It was something I kept doing for a few years even after I started covering baseball just to see old friends and hang out.

In the summer of 2001, LeBron was at the adidas ABCD Camp at Fairleigh Dickinson in New Jersey. He was getting ready for his junior year of high school and was already a beast. The best player in New York that year was a kid named Lenny Cook from Brooklyn. The camp organizers allowed LeBron and Lenny to play a game of 1-on-1 on the middle court one afternoon.

The stands were full of players, high school coaches, college coaches and recruiters. The atmosphere was like a heavyweight title fight. LeBron destroyed Lenny, raining 3-pointers down on him then going by him and dunking.

Poor Lenny looked like he got hit by a bus. When LeBron hit the winning bucket, he put the ball down on the court and looked into the crowd to see if there was anybody else who wanted a shot. Nobody did. He was the king and everybody knew it even then.

LBJ loves the New York scene and always has. The Yankees have a good recruiter on their side.

I actually like the direction were going in.

Grabbing Swisher instead of Tex is a lot better moves in my eyes. We have the big bat. A-Rod.

We need pitching and it looks like Cashman realizes. The offer is
eek.gif
but I guess it is necessary.
His lack of post season success is kinda scary. And can he handle the big time like some guys can't.

Lowe would be preferred for me. He has proven he can play in the spotlight. He is a post season pitcher.
Burnett is a big injury waiting to happen. He is better then Pavano but I can see the exact same thing happening.

I would LOVE to trade any form of Hughes, Kennedy, and Cano for Peavy. Cano is wayyyyyy to inconsistent. And has been unimpressive when everyone rides him sohard. Everyone says he is going to be a star. And I don't doubt he will be....somewhere else.

Peavy is really good though. I hope he would translate well into the AL becuase I have heard he may struggle.

Just gotta keep going after the pitching.

pimp.gif

[h1]Yankees Pursuing Peavy[/h1]
By Nat Boyle [November 16 at 10:23am CST]

A quick update on Jake Peavy. On Thursday, Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune said it was clear that neither theBraves nor Cubs would be acquiring Peavy. The Braves are moving on, looking atA.J. Burnett, despite Buster Olney's suggestion that both sidesneed this deal. Krasovic wondered if Kevin Towers might approach the Yankees and Angels.

Yesterday, Ken Rosenthalreports Brian Cashman and Towers have been discussing a Peavy deal since the GM meetings earlier this month. Towers apparently wanted to engage NL clubs -a "strong preference" for Peavy - before touching base again with the Yankees again but talks have now officially recommenced.
This continues to be mentioned as it makes good news, and who knows, but it remains a longshot. Peavy would need to be given financial reason to waive hisno-trade clause to play for a high-profile AL club on the east coast, and the Yankees would need to trade more prospects (despite already dealing five youngpitchers away for Nick Swisher, Damaso Marte, and Xavier Nady) rather than solve their rotation needsthrough free agent signings.

we need to get texiera. a-rod has shown this year that he CANNOT carry the team. i have never bashed him up until this year. he was TERRIBLE!!! sure, he put upgreat numbers again, but i watched almost every game, and the guy choked at the plate whenever there was someone on base. i think the yankees should try tomake strong run at texiera, especially if we're not bringing abreu back. is he coming back? haven't heard much on that front. we should also try to getpeavy and sheets, i like those two pitchers

[h1]Nick Swisher Trade Reactions[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 14, 2008 at 5:00am CST]

The Yankees acquired Nick Swisher yesterday for Wilson Betemit, Jhonny Nunez, andJeff Marquez. The reactions are clearly in favor of the Yanks; let's take a look.

Brewers GM: Yankees 'overbidding' forSabathia

The New York Yankees' initial bid for CC Sabathia reportedly is in a different stratosphere than the Brewers' first offer, andMilwaukee general manager Doug Melvin said he doesn't really understand the logic behind it.

According to media reports, the Yankees offered Sabathia approximately $140 million over six years. The Brewers, in contrast, have reportedly offeredSabathia $100 million over five seasons.

"It sounds like they're overbidding," Melvin told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "If the speculation is true that we've offered CC$100 million, why would you offer $140 million? Why wouldn't you offer $110 million?"

Are the Brewers willing to compete with the Yankees' reported record offer?

"I don't want to respond to that," Melvin told the Journal Sentinel. "It's up to the player to go where the money is."

Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner confirmed Friday night at the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., that an offer was made to Sabathia,and that proposals will be forthcoming for pitchers A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.

"[The Yankees] have been pretty adamant about bidding on everybody. That doesn't mean that's what the market is. That's just one team'soffer. Until all the bids are on the table, I don't know what the market is," Melvin told the newspaper.

Melvin told the Journal Sentinel that he will check with Sabathia's camp by the middle of this week to see if the Brewers still have a chance to retaintheir ace, who was acquired at the trading deadline from the Cleveland Indians and helped Milwaukee win the NL wild card.

"I'll ask them where we're at [in the bidding], if we have a chance or should we move on," Melvin told the newspaper. "I need toknow. We don't want this to drag on.

"They won't tell me what the other offers are. They'll just say, 'We've got an extra year [from another bidder] or more money.'They'll let you know if the other offers are substantially more or a little more.

"We're not going to negotiate until we know where we stand," Melvin told the newspaper.

The New York Mets' Johan Santana has the highest contract ever given to a pitcher, the six-year, $137.5 milliondeal he signed after his trade from the Minnesota Twins last offseason.

Back
Top Bottom