NEWS DAVE CHAPPELLE STORMS OFF STAGE Throws Tantrum Over Noisy Crowd

Saw him the night after Hartford. It was awesome. You could tell he was having difficulty dealing with it. Talking about dropping a bomb on Hartford, etc. His wife and kids surprised him on tour and he brought them out for her birthday. Most of the "hecklers" were saying things like 'we love you Dave' and 'you're the best comedian alive' to which he replied "I dunno, there's a lot of great comedians out there". Overall it was an incredibly personal set. He was so happy with the crowd. Nothing but love both ways. Glad I got to see him and he ended saying he's coming back alone later this year so I'm anxious to find out about that.

Last edited:
People take any chance to **** on someone.

Neal wrote most of the Chappelles show skits? Nah bruh it was 50/50 just like Half Baked was 50/50.

All of a sudden Dave's standup was never THAT funny? 5/10? Ok bruh I guess you don't remember the day after his HBO special dropped and everyone at school was yelling "I'm sellin crack, *****!" "Hello? We have five black...hello?" Talkin about how uniforms and whatnot. Even before Chappelles show everyone at school was quoting dude just off that standup special.

^yea, that dude sounds dumb, that stand-up was definitely funny. The discredit is strong around here.

Last edited:

Neal wrote most of the Chappelles show skits? Nah bruh it was 50/50 just like Half Baked was 50/50.

All of a sudden Dave's standup was never THAT funny? 5/10? Ok bruh I guess you don't remember the day after his HBO special dropped and everyone at school was yelling "I'm sellin crack, *****!" "Hello? We have five black...hello?" Talkin about how uniforms and whatnot. Even before Chappelles show everyone at school was quoting dude just off that standup special.

50/50 ? Nothing in life is 50/50. "Co-written" dosent mean 50/50.

Neal not only wrote, but also directed most of the sketches because he actually knew TV and sketch comedy. Hes responsible for the consistent visual element and dark type of humor in the show. Daves standup was funny to potheads... Chappelles Show was funny to a much broader audience. Without Neals writing and understanding of what works and dosent work for sketch comedy, the show would have flopped like every other sketch show on CC.

Like I said before, I love Dave, I love his humor, I love alot of his standup... but some of it honestly sucks... .Hes still one of my favorite comedian but people on both sides have a really hard time looking at this man and his career objectively.

I have to ask you... If Dave is such a stellar writer; why has he never written anything other then his own standup independently?... while Neal was writing sketch comedy before Chappelles show and still writes sketch comedy after it ?

Dave is a comedian.... a front man; while Neal is a Writer... the idea man... the funny man behind the funny men on screen. The show couldn't have survived without either of them but saying their involvement behind the scenes was 50/50 is a total crock.

Last edited:
re
^yea, that dude sounds dumb, that stand-up was definitely funny. The discredit is strong around here.

Even Dave will tell you he questions the quality of alot of his material and dosent really rock with alot of his old stuff.... but its cool.... Hold this man up to a unattainable standard he dosent even be associated with.... and then just call me dumb when your the one piggybacking on other peoples posts.

FYI Neals control over the content in the show was one of the biggest reasons Dave left the show... Dave got very uncomfortable with a white guy writing some of the overtly stereotypical racial themes that people find so funny.

Last edited:
Dank on that dank.

Talking about 5/10. :stoneface:

"Take it easy!!!!""....

You're on Fourth street"

:lol: :rofl:

Neil Brennan, the same guy that wrote sketch comedy for "ALL that" and "Keenan and Kel" was the guy that wrote most of the shows sketches...

Damn...I never knew Neil wrote for those. That's pretty cool.

As far as the shows on Comedy Central go, I think Nathan for You is one of the best ones in a long time.

Key & Peele is totally unwatchable.

I agree alot of their sketches are absolutely painful to watch ... but this one right here.... has me rolling every time

Total forever alone overload from both sides

these are my favorite 2

and

Last edited:
That was HUGE reach by Ebony in making it a racial thing. HUGE reach.

He could have simply gone after each heckler like comedians normally do. Instead he took his ball and went home.
word. i stopped reading after "white audience" or some crap like that. 

Chappelle's Show didn't age well either. Jokes I found funny as a teen get a total
indifferent.gif
from me now.

50/50 ? Nothing in life is 50/50. "Co-written" dosent mean 50/50.

Neal not only wrote, but also directed most of the sketches because he actually knew TV and sketch comedy. Hes responsible for the consistent visual element and dark type of humor in the show. Daves standup was funny to potheads... Chappelles Show was funny to a much broader audience. Without Neals writing and understanding of what works and dosent work for sketch comedy, the show would have flopped like every other sketch show on CC.

Like I said before, I love Dave, I love his humor, I love alot of his standup... but some of it honestly sucks... .Hes still one of my favorite comedian but people on both sides have a really hard time looking at this man and his career objectively.

I have to ask you... If Dave is such a stellar writer; why has he never written anything other then his own standup independently?... while Neal was writing sketch comedy before Chappelles show and still writes sketch comedy after it ?

Dave is a comedian.... a front man; while Neal is a Writer... the idea man... the funny man behind the funny men on screen. The show couldn't have survived without either of them but saying their involvement behind the scenes was 50/50 is a total crock.
I mess with Neal Brennan his twitter is funny as **** and I've listened to his podcast a few times, don't you think you're boosting dude a little too much though? 
laugh.gif

Just about all of his writing credits are for game shows before he did Half Baked/Chappelle's Show. My dude talking about his knowledge of the intricacies of what works and what doesn't work for sketch comedy, you telling me dude got all that from writing 1 episode of Keenan & Kel and writing on 2 Episodes of All That? 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

On top of that he really hasn't done a lot since Chappelle's Show either. The Goods with Jeremy Piven? 
sick.gif
 Totally Awesome? 
sick.gif

I can't really speak on the whole "50/50" thing, I do agree tho that his writing played a large part in the show's success and also that the show wouldn't have survived without the both of them.

Comedy Central is still trying to find a replacement for Chappelle Show. Nothing has come close.

what happened to that mind of mencia garbage? lol

That show was hit or miss for me, mostly being miss for being so blatant and over top. Key & Peele were hilarious on MadTv, but their show now is decent at best. Chocolate News' commercials trailers were vastly more funny than the actual show. Sarah Silverman tries to hard with that "this isn't supposed to make you laugh, therefore it's funny" humor. Don't care for that frumpy funny looking chicks show either. I'll just stick with Workaholics :lol:

Damn, take a break and all of a sudden your work is now "5/10", word to Kat, and now you had very little to do with a show in your name. Let's knock Dave's credit for Chappelle's show down a few notches to about 15-20%, he never made the set pieces, did the casting, catering, wardrobe, none of that stuff.

All that? Kenan and Kel? funny shows but kid's shows, nowhere near the top anything. Only thing I see him writing after that is funny or die which is subpar. You're hyping Neal up so big like he's some immortal writer when aside from Chappelle's show, he has some pretty "meh" works. No one here was behind the scenes, so where does this need to take away credit from the star comes from? You think he did so little, meant so little to the show that when change was threatened he walked away from 50 mill? c'mon. No doubt Neal had his place, Dave had his place, but your argument is nonsense, assuming co-wrote means Neal did the bulk of the writing and brought most of the ideas. And for that matter, that making a successful show is only about writing and directing.

Fell off? he hasn't put anything out. And he's still revered despite not having any recent works. It's like people crave seeing a fall from grace.
lol word he been chilling living regular doing random stand ups . . . yall acting like he put out a wack special . . . if the crowd was acting up at a Jay or Kanye show, you bet they would walk off too

This dude went the best comedian on planet to now the only time you hear about him is when **** like this happens. That's fallen off to me.

Chappelle's Show didn't age well either. Jokes I found funny as a teen get a total :stoneface: from me now.

I disagree with that. I have a bunch of episodes on my DVR and those skits are still hilarious.

I also met Dave in a tiny *** bar with my friends in South Beach. Of course we started freaking out. My group and his group were the only two groups in the place. He came over, kindly said "Fellas please just dont take pictures", pounded us all up & talked for a few minutes and that was that. Later in the night when he was chilling outside me and my two friends went outside and lit up a joint right next to him. He sadly declined :lol:

This was summer of 2011.

Some of you are really interpreting my comments the wrong way...

Dont let public opinion and the nostalgia blind you.

Its people putting Dave on a pedestal treating him like some superhuman thats supposed to be funny 24/7 is exactly what caused him to become so reclusive

Im gonna leave this here.. .some of you will understand the parallels.... some of you wont....

Last edited:
First and foremost Chappelle was great but Chris Rock is the greatest of our generation, I made a thread about this but Chappelle got overrated by the media because of the show. He had great stand up and his show was great but its a lot more to it, like some people referenced Neal did help a bit. Dave is an intelligent guy and his inside the studio or actor appearance was really good. The fame and the pressure got to him.

Its people putting Dave on a pedestal treating him like some superhuman thats supposed to be funny 24/7 is exactly what caused him to become so reclusive

Right, which brings us back to original topic and the hecklers. Also giving credit where credit is due is a thing, doesn't always have to be a pedestal. I don't really believe you have a point that pertains to this thread.

He's washed up because he's not that funny to me and a host of others anymore, it's not 2003 - 2004. That was ten years ago. 

He had a chance to be a true legend, but he passed it up, and then he comes back to stand up. I thought for sure he was done with everything, but he comes back to stand up after turning down 50 mil?

Never understood that move at all. Talk with your boy, and come to an agreement on the script. But Dave walks away, similar to how he just walked off the stage. This guy can't face any type of adversity without having a melt down. Then wants somebody to feel sorry for him by going on these shows talking about how the industry is weird and all that, and how he was being mistreated. 

Get outta here Dave. 

just...wow...

1st, crowd control definitely seems to be apart of the rigors of stand up comedy (at least many comedians mention crowd work being one of the things you learn to do) and i think to some extent maybe chappelle should be prepared to deal (not excusing those people )with having to deal with those random 'hecklers' but at show that large it probably isn't really easy to do & the criticism would be more valid if he were a robin harris type of comic or maybe even an insult comic.

2nd, chappelle has been doing this for a minute & (at least seemingly) has the UTMOST respect from just about any/everyone on comedy that matters (even with the hiatus); the dude is funny...

3rd, isn't this common knowledge that if the crowd gets even a lil' bit out of hand dave will spaz out & put the whole set on hold? chappelle has talked about the issue extensively in interviews, his comedy specials, & recent large scale performances, it is as if people are trying to get him to stop his set as a challenge...and that could be why he doesn't feel like dealing with it.

that comment about regretting not taking the 50 mil may be a little telling, it's like he is just coming to the realization that he got all downfalls of the celebrity & still having to deal with the knuckleheads without the payday...

yall know dave used to not perform on stage back when he had the chappelle show, right? 

he said in an interview, in oakland he had a show with cedric and some dude was like "shut the f_ up" and he said "fine if that's the show you want that's what you'll get" and he laid down for ten minutes. dave is an artist and if people aren't appreciating the art then he won't show it to them.

first 30 secs he talks about it.

Back
Top Bottom