News On Future Films Based on Comics/Paranormal/Sci-Fi

Via Vin Diesels IG:

Last night Our company had a party to launch Our TV division. Very exciting. MERC CITY is a show that will follow the Mercs and Bounty Hunters of the Riddick Universe. Next Month, DT begins writing the next Chapter in the Chronicles of Riddick... FURIA.

Universal Wants to Make Angelina Jolie the ‘Bride of Frankenstein’

By the Sea, starring real-life spouses Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, was instantly buzzing due to the talent involved, but as we get closer to the film’s release, it looks like it has little else going for it. Critical response hasn’t been motivating its box-office projections and it’s foreseen that Universal will take a hit, but it could all be worth it if Jolie agrees to make either The Bride of Frankenstein or that long-talked-about Wanted 2.

THR published an analysis of the film’s potential box-office earnings, and buried towards the end is a note about Universal’s plans for its upcoming cinematic universe of monsters. Producers Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan are spearheading these films, which begin with the revamped Mummy movie. According to the trade, a Bride of Frankenstein is also on the docket as a tentpole and the studio wants Jolie to headline it.

However, it doesn’t seem as though she’s too eager to sign on. That’s why — at least, according to the report — the studio is backing Jolie’s By the Sea, which she directed, in the hopes the action might sway her towards their monsters. Another potential win for the studio, even if it loses millions on By the Sea, is another Wanted movie. A sequel to the 2008 action film from director Timur Bekmambetov has been in the works for some time, and producers Marc Platt and John DeLuca said last year that a script had been written and it’s “getting pretty good.” The director confirmed the progress that’s been made to Collider and said that it’s now up to the studio.

While it’s unclear which Universal would like more for Jolie, the studio has made their monster films a priority. They will be rolled out on a schedule of one per year and we’ll supposedly see solo iterations for Dracula, The Wolfman, and Van Helsing, the latter of which recently added Jon Spaihts (Doctor Strange) and Eric Heisserer (The Thing remake) to the writing team.

I don't think the revival of most of these monster movies are gonna work.

Frankenstein's monster, the bride, the mummy, same if they try werewolves and vampires again. Even if they use A-list stars.

Last edited:
Sounds like they are going all out for it though.

Tom Cruise in Talks to Star in ‘The Mummy’ Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)

Tom Cruise is in talks to star in Universal’s “The Mummy” reboot, helping to launch Universal’s new era of monster films, sources tell Variety.

The studio tapped Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan last summer to help develop a universe for Universal where its classic monster movie library is front and center. Kurtzman is also on board to direct and will produce alongside Morgan as well as Sean Daniel. Universal is not commenting on casting speculation regarding the project.

Jon Spaihts is penning the script. Plot details are vague other than it will be set in present day, unlike the previous three installments starring Brendan Fraser.

Cruise isn’t expected to produce, but he will play a major part in development. Characters from the monster universe films are expected to crop up in each other’s installments before culminating in an “Avengers”-style tie-in film.

Boseman Responds To ‘Gods Of Egypt’s’ Diversity Criticism

After the release of its first trailer, “Gods of Egypt” was met with criticism aimed at the casting of white actors like Gerard Butler and Geoffrey Rush as Egyptian gods. The criticism was heard by both Lionsgate and director Alex Proyas, who apologized for the casting. Now cast member Chadwick Boseman, who plays the god Thoth, has weighed in on the controversy in an interview with GQ.

“I generally try to tune things like press controversy out, but some people around me told me, ‘Hey… you might wanna look at this,'” Boseman explained to GQ. “And when I originally was approached with the script, I thought this [critique] might come up, I really did. And I’m thankful that it did, because actually, I agree with it. That’s why I wanted to do it, so you would see someone of African descent playing Thoth, the father of mathematics, astronomy, the god of wisdom. And in the movie, I actually outnumber the other gods in the movie, literally and figuratively. It’s hard for people to know that without seeing it. But yeah — people don’t make $140 million movies starring black and brown people” With that, Boseman shook his head.

:pimp:

Never thought I'd see Tom Cruise in a movie like The Mummy.
Sounded so weird to me too but then I remembered he was in that vamp movie with Brad Pitt.

If Tom had more success with them he'd do more movies along those lines but like others he's carved his lane pretty well in the sci-fi action and straight up espionage action flicks.

Last edited:
Interview with the Vampire is one of my favorite Tom Cruise films lol.

Idk why it's weird seeing him in The Mummy. I know he does all the Sci-Fi action films, so it's not out of his realm.

Maybe because people still relate the Mummy with the cheesy version with Brendan Fraser?

^You say that is if Interview with a Vampire wasnt the ****....
Why can't the Mummy be that too?

If you didn't grow up watching his movies and just know him from his stuff the past decade you'd say Tom Cruise in a vampire movie? Same way some ppl are like Tom Cruise in a mummy movie? Doesn't sound like his wheelhouse.

If you didn't grow up watching his movies and just know him from his stuff the past decade you'd say Tom Cruise in a vampire movie? Same way some ppl are like Tom Cruise in a mummy movie? Doesn't sound like his wheelhouse.

Because The Mummy is no where near the level of Interview with an Vampire.

Rarely do I have a chance to say this and actually mean........the book was better.

Rarely do I have a chance to say this and actually mean........the book was better.
What are you talking about? You haven't even see the movie :lol: How do you know the movie isn't near the level of it? You sound delusional b.

That's literally praising a movie you have seen and judging one you haven't. Please stop now.

Plus what I'm saying is either going over your head or you're purposely ignoring it :lol: :smh:

Last edited:

What are you talking about? You haven't even see the movie :lol: How do you know the movie isn't near the level of it? You sound delusional b.

That's literally praising a movie you have seen and judging one you haven't. Please stop now.

Plus what I'm saying is either going over your head or you're purposely ignoring it :lol: :smh:

Ok you think Im trying to comparing IwaV with The Mummy reboot. Naw bruh...why would I even? :smh: . Im taking about the "crappy Brendan Fraser version"

The Brendan Fraser Mummy doesnt compare.

The whole point of this converstation is Tom Cruise in a monster movie isnt as big of a deal as you're making it.

Ok you think Im trying to comparing IwaV with The Mummy reboot. Naw bruh...why would I even? :smh: . Im taking about the "crappy Brendan Fraser version"

The Brendan Fraser Mummy doesnt compare.

The whole point of this converstation is Tom Cruise in a monster movie isnt as big of a deal as you're making it.
This is clearly us talking about two different things. Why the **** would I compare that movie to Interview with a Vampire? The whole point of my post was about Tom Cruise doing types of movies he usually doesn't do.

I'm talking about Tom Cruise doing a Mummy movie. You're talking about ******* Brendan Fraiser's Mummy :lol:

I was not making a big deal about Cruise doing this movie. If you were paying attention I said it sounded weird to me that Cruise would do this movie until I remembered he was in that vampire movie.

Then you assuming a bunch of **** not said started going off on a complete tangent about other ****.

Show me my post where I made a big deal about Cruise doing a Mummy remake movie, I'll wait. The real problem is you couldn't help but continue to keep replying to me about this while you was talking about a whole other movie :smh: :lol:

Like I said please stop. This is embarrassing.

The only person that went on tangents making assumptions was you, boss.

You should feel embarassed.

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Kingsman: The Secret Service breakout star & Star Trek Beyond actress Sofia Boutella is currently in talks to star as the titular monster in Universal's The Mummy, confirming rumors that the new reboot would contain a female villain.

Details about the film's plot are being kept under lock and key, but what we do know is that unlike the last trilogy, this one will take place in modern-day with global superstar Tom Cruise (Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation) expected to headline the picture. Alex Kurtzman (People Like Us) is directing with a script from Jon Spaihts (Doctor Strange).

The Mummy is expected to kick-off Universal's planned monster movie universe, which will also include updated takes on Dracula, Frankenstein, the Invisible Man, the Bride of Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, and Van Helsing. Also, based on recent reports and rumors, it surely sounds like Universal is seeking the highest level of talent to feature in their modern reimaginings of classic monster tales. In addition to Cruise, Academy Award-winner Angelina Jolie (Maleficent) is reportedly being courted for their Bride of Frankenstein reboot and it was unofficially stated during Meet The Movie Press last week that Idris Elba & Jessica Chastain were recently up for parts in The Mummy, however Variety reporter Justin Kroll later revealed they had both decided to pass.

Back
Top Bottom