News On Future Films Based on Comics/Paranormal/Sci-Fi

Nah man, those actors are still A-listers. It's not about box office. Those are bona fide A-list movie stars.

Their names carry weight and still have notoriety in relation to their career.

If they aint A-list who is now? :nerd:

Last edited:
If it was 5-10 years ago and all of those names were in the same movie, you were talking the biggest movie of the year.. The movie would be an event

Now, who knows.. If that movie looks like crap and is marketed poorly

I never said they weren't a list, but that title no longer really carries the weight it once did.. And especially for names in that group who have had a couple of flops each in their last couple of movies

You know you are getting a quality movie with DDL, none of those actors are on that level

If leo is in a movie people are going.. those guys need other things involved to get butts in seats

Go home bro, you are drunk :rofl:

DDL is a true thespian, he is going get critical success for his roles and be in the running for awards

Cruise's star was based off of his box office success

This came up with will smith but the question could be raised about a couple in that group
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vie-anymore-so-what-defines-the-a-list-today/

Last edited:
Will is an A-lister, so is Tom, Russell, def Angelina, Pitt, they don't need to be getting academy noms for their roles, they been A-listers and continue to be and maybe you are let down by their movies, but a movie with any of those people still enjoyable....Tom is the man.

Will is an A-lister, so is Tom, Russell, def Angelina, Pitt, they don't need to be getting academy noms for their roles, they been A-listers and continue to be and maybe you are let down by their movies, but a movie with any of those people still enjoyable....Tom is the man.

I'll do 1 movie from each named

Will smith, After earth?

Russell Crowe, Noah?

Angelina, maleficent?

And tom had people questioning his pull after he went off the deep end a bit with all the Scientology stuff and showing up on Oprah

Pitt wasn't In that press release.. But look at world war z, for all issues the movie had behind the scenes supposedly movie still made over 500 mill

Last edited:
While these monster movies may not be the biggest movies of the year with these names they're still gonna be big and draw a huge following (unless they're epic flops but with how much effort the studios putting in I doubt that).

To me the title of A-list actor still carries the same weight it always did. Perhaps you were putting more stock in it that it deserved.

It's not like an entire new crop of A-list actors have shown up to replace all of the A-listers that are closer to being on their way out/being relegated to older roles.

I think an a lister matters when it comes to certain types of movies..

Serious subject matter, like the upcoming clooney film money monster.. Oscar bait stuff

But directors names are getting just as big, people go to 'nolan' films.. People will go to inarritu's next film

But having will smith or depp or Crowe in your movie doesn't carry the anywhere near the weight it once did..

Hell cruise, too.. But at least cruise made some good recent choices unlike the above two

Like I just remember seeing commercials for 'mortdecai' and had to look up when the movie was actually released.. Then he got his burton movies or look alike movies

You do know that Maleficent made $750 million worldwide, right?

That's why they are making a sequel.

I really have no idea what each of those movies are suppose to mean.

MIB3 (right before After Earth) made $625m and after that he really hasn't made any big blockbuster films, Focus is small budget but even that tripled it's $50m budget and made $150m and then Concussion which was more of an Oscar-type of film. Will Smiths been off the grid for the most part, his only real flop is After Earth and he really made that film for his son.

The same with Jolie, when she is in a big blockbuster, more often than not it is going to make money. He's only really done Maleficent and Kung Fu Panda films (3 of them) the past 5-7 years. Tourist was a bad film but that still made close to $300m in a $100m budget, the same with Salt before that and Wanted made $341m from a $75m budget. Do not count movies like By the Sea where she directs and stars in, it's more of an artistic work for them, not a summer blockbuster.

Tom Cruise, I mean I don't even need to explain this, the name alone is good enough but you don't get it so I'll try and speak your box-office language. Reacher ($60m budget - $$218m WW), MI:GP ($145m budget - $695m WW), MI:RN ($150m budget - $682m WW), Oblivion ($120m budget - $286m WW) and Edge of Tomorrow ($178m budget - $370m WW). The biggest disappointment there is Edge of Tomorrow but everybody loved that film.

I think you are too used to CBM type of box office that once you see these guys making less than $500m and you think they have failed.

And you are just remembering one film and the others are just pure BS :lol:

Yeah I'm not sure how they aren't A listers. Having the Vruise Missille on a movie is pretty much a guarantee it'll double if not triple its budget.

Will smith is still one of the biggest names in Hollywood. Do you think Suicide Squad would have half the buzz it does now without him being attached. Having him attached gave it buzz in the first place

You do know that Maleficent made $750 million worldwide, right?

That's why they are making a sequel.

I really have no idea what each of those movies are suppose to mean.

The same with Jolie, when she is in a big blockbuster, more often than not it is going to make money. He's only really done Maleficent and Kung Fu Panda films (3 of them) the past 5-7 years. Tourist was a bad film but that still made close to $300m in a $100m budget, the same with Salt before that and Wanted made $341m from a $75m budget. Do not count movies like By the Sea where she directs and stars in, it's more of an artistic work for them, not a summer blockbuster.

Tom Cruise, I mean I don't even need to explain this, the name alone is good enough but you don't get it so I'll try and speak your box-office language. Reacher ($60m budget - $$218m WW), MI:GP ($145m budget - $695m WW), MI:RN ($150m budget - $682m WW), Oblivion ($120m budget - $286m WW) and Edge of Tomorrow ($178m budget - $370m WW). The biggest disappointment there is Edge of Tomorrow but everybody loved that film.

I think Jolie's last film I've seen in theaters is probably salt.. Or the tourist.. But she took a break for a bit.. I know she directed that one movie

i was responding to this:

but a movie with any of those people still enjoyable

And I already addressed tom:

Edge of reason and jack reacher were huge for tom cruise.. needed something outside of mission impossible to show he still could be a draw.. taking the tropic thnder was also big for him where he didnt look like he was taking himself overly serious

Depp has been swinging and missing a ton with his last couple movies

Will smith is still one of the biggest names in Hollywood. Do you think Suicide Squad would have half the buzz it does now without him being attached. Having him attached gave it buzz in the first place

Yes, I think it does

Mib3 was in 2012

He has had 3 movies as the lead since then: after earth, focus and concussion

Those are all the epitome of A Listers. Big name Hollywood "royalty" for lack of a better word. Nothin to do with Oscars, or serious roles or any of that, just name brand celebrities people love. Red Carpet royalty. Will, Cruise, Jolie, Crowe, Drop all are A List.

I would agree they are Hollywood royalty (also fits jack Nicholson and de Niro) .. But that's like calling Kobe a hall of famer, which will happen as soon as he is eligible

But I think we can all agree Kobe is no longer Kobe.. I don't think think cruise, depp, Crowe or smith carry the same weight they once did, where any of their names being attached is a automatic.. Cruise was smart about his roles, unlike the other 3

Leo and Pitt are the closest we got to that thing currently, just have their name attached to something and it has got juice

Anyways Bill Simmons did a piece back in 2012, after Reynolds bombed with green lantern and talks about smith:

http://grantland.com/features/the-movie-star/

I would agree they are Hollywood royalty (also fits jack Nicholson and de Niro) .. But that's like calling Kobe a hall of famer, which will happen as soon as he is eligible

But I think we can all agree Kobe is no longer Kobe..

what?

So because Kobe can no longer play like he was in his prime means he isn't HoFer anymore?

Makes absolutely no sense

I give up... I just do...

:x :smh:

Last edited:

But I think we can all agree Kobe is no longer Kobe..

what?

So because Kobe can no longer play like he was in his prime means he isn't HoFer anymore?

Makes absolutely no sense

I give up... I just do...

:x :smh:

As soon as Kobe is eligible, he will be a hall of famer.. "Which will happen as soon as he is eligible"

How is that hard to understand?

Last edited:
Tom Cruise did not need any movie not named MI to prove he was still a draw. He's been consistently releasing action flicks regularly.

Oblivion made money as we see with the recent Cruise flicks RFX posted. His stock aint dropped at all.

His name being a part of this monster movie push is what has me interested with more A list names being attached. I usually mentally groan when I hear about the mummy and werewolf but now I think this may be something different and worth paying attention too.

Last time I saw a list of names like that I was excited for more Ocean's movies.

Last edited:

Last edited:
The TMNT reboot has my man Donnie wearing microwaves, toaster ovens, night-vision goggles, and just the most impractical fighting attire of all time. The Turtles all look like Gears of War Locusts in tattered rags, but THIS, these "Power Rangers" look so much worse. The Red Ranger looks like he's about to ask me, "You wanna fight bro?!"

Now when people debate which Ranger suits were the worst, they can all just point to these new ones.

They look very ironman-ish.. chest piece and all

Gotta wait to see how trailer is

20th Century Fox Taps Superhero Tale ‘Irredeemable’; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting

Move over, X-Men and Deadpool. 20th Century Fox has tapped into an entirely new superhero universe. The studio has acquired Irredeemable, a Boom! Comics comic book that will be adapted by Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters writer-director Tommy Wirkola as a directing vehicle for Adam McKay. McKay, who with Charles Randolph just won the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for The Big Short, is a big comic book fan who co-wrote Marvel’s Ant-Man and wrote with Paul Rudd the story for the sequel. Now, McKay has a fresh hero universe, this one the kind of edgy terrain that Deadpool tapped into. Boom! Studios’ Ross Richie and Stephen Christy are producing with Gary Sanchez’s McKay and Kevin Messick.

In the Mark Waid-created comic book that debuted in 2009 and lasted 36 issues, the central figure is the Plutonian, the world’s greatest superhero until he began heartlessly slaughtering the population of Earth, at least those who defy him. It falls to a superhero group known as the Paradigm to stop his rampage. They were former colleagues of the Plutonian, they’ve all got problems of their own, and none of them is nearly as powerful as the mass-murdering maniac holding the world hostage. In Clarice-Hannibal Lecter fashion, the Paradigm in desperation turns to a famous supervillain for help; it might be the only way to stop the carnage.

The intriguing thing with starting from scratch on a superhero saga like this one is that some of these superheroes die, unlike the branded films being made by Marvel and DC. This is the 7th property BOOM! has set up at Fox — where BOOM! has its first look deal — in the last two years, and that includes the horror title The Empty Man. BOOM! controls the largest library of comic book IP outside of Marvel and DC. Irredeemable, which was illustrated by Peter Krause, won Waid the Eisner Award for Best Writer. The comic has sold more than a million copies.

Back
Top Bottom