News On Future Films Based on Comics/Paranormal/Sci-Fi

Damn. Tom Cruise is still getting movie roles lol.
Why wouldn't he? Rogue Nation was great.

He is going to seamlessly transition to the old man that's a badass action flick [emoji]127909[/emoji]

And to think he hasn't even attempted to be in a superhero movie. He picks the right one and that's an extra 10 years :lol:

Last edited:
Damn. Tom Cruise is still getting movie roles lol.

I been wondering what Cobie Smulders been up to :pimp:

:lol:

What?

Dude is about to kick off the Universal Monster Cineverse with the Mummy.

His gon' play Ethan hunt his entire life too.

Top Gun 2 is in the works as well.

First Jack Reacher film was very underrated.

Tom has made it hard to James Bond Mission Impossible. May have to pull a different character from the show or make up a new one.

Forgot he's heading up the new monsterverse for Universal.

Last edited:
Ehh his recent box office numbers aren't that great

Jack Reacher:218 mil WW total

Oblivion : 286 WW total

Edge of Tomorrow: 320 WW total, 100 ml domestic

The best performing was Rogue nation with 682 WW total and 195 domestic.

Rogue Nation has been the best of his recent movie number wise and it's actually trended down from Ghost Protocol (694 WW, 209 domestic)

His star power doesn't seem all that great anymore so just surprised he'd keep getting roles. Edge of Tomorrow was such a kick *** movie. Such a travesty that it made only 100 mil domestic. 100 mil domestic :lol: Just seems like Americans are staying away from him unless he's starring in a movie franchise that he's been known for like Mission Impossible.

I believe if you put his face on an unknown franchise you're trying to launch you're just going to be dead in the water from the jump. RIP mummy verse.

Last edited:
Ehh his recent box office numbers aren't that great

Jack Reacher:218 mil WW total

Oblivion : 286 WW total

Edge of Tomorrow: 320 WW total, 100 ml domestic

The best performing was Rogue nation with 682 WW total and 195 domestic.

Rogue Nation has been the best of his recent movie number wise and it's actually trended down from Ghost Protocol (694 WW, 209 domestic)

His star power doesn't seem all that great anymore so just surprised he'd keep getting roles. Edge of Tomorrow was such a kick *** movie. Such a travesty that it made only 100 mil domestic. 100 mil domestic :lol: Just seems like Americans are staying away from him unless he's starring in a movie franchise that he's been known for like Mission Impossible.

I believe if you put his face on an unknown franchise you're trying to launch you're just going to be dead in the water from the jump. RIP mummy verse.
I think your looking at this through the lense of comic book movie box offices. Tom Cruise movies do at least double at the box office( of the budget). Jack teacher had a budget of 50 million dollars. It made 200 off of his name alone. His movies aren't going to do a billion dollars but also why would they be expected to

This again? We've been through this.

You are blinded by the numbers CBMs or more specifically Marvel is making.

Reacher only made $218m wolrdwide but the budget is only $60m, that is a huge win for studios.

Edge of Tomorrow wasn't a huge blockbuster but it was one of the best reviewed film when it came out, many believed it was very underrated.

And you're really going to knock on Rogue Nation for making $12m less?

Oblivion, the one that made the least profit at $287m worldwide earnings and budget of $120 isn't too bad either.

Again you are too blinded by what CBMs are making that anything less seems like a failure.

You also have to consider none franchise films, it doesn't have as much weight when they do not expect it to be a franchise like BvS expecting to make a billion as a sign for future of the universe.

I never said any of his movies had to make a billion dollars. It just needs to be successful. Jack Reacher had a 50 mil budget, that's great. Probably why it's getting a sequel. But oblivion and edge of tomorrow had 120 and a 170 bill budget respectively. 286 and 320 is poor for those kinda budgets.

A 320 total gross for a movie that was very very good in Edge of Tomorrow is troubling.

He hasn't shown he can make numbers in recent years unless it's a been established franchise

I would be cool with his MI numbers except for the fact that it's trending down..

IMO you're underestimating Cruise's star power. It has barely diminished.

Recent box office #s are meaningless at this point unless we're talking box office bomb. People now are mentioning the total amount of money his movies have grossed altogether not individual flicks.

Tom would have to be in a Will Smith situation to question him continuing to get roles and Will's in his predicament due to how picky he is with the roles he chooses.

Last edited:
RFX you're making my point for me. Edge of tomorrow was reviewed very well and it made just 100 domestic. 100 domestic. I feel like a well reviewed movie like that should've made at least 50 mil the first weekend. Not comic book numbers at all but much better than the 28 mil or whatever it got that first weekend. :lol:

Last edited:
Also I thought it was obvious but the domestic box office overall has been trending down.

It's not ppl in America aren't just coming out to see Tom, Americans are not coming out a lot overall. Stuff like Jurassic World, certain Marvel movies, and Star Wars are becoming exceptions to the average expectation.

Last edited:
Also I thought it was obvious but the domestic box office overall has been trending down.

It's not ppl in America aren't just coming out to see Tom, Americans are not coming out a lot overall. Stuff like Jurassic World, certain Marvel movies, and Star Wars are becoming exceptions to the average expectation.
But also Disney makes movies that appeal to wider audiences specifically to make money. Like you can take a 9 year old to see Zootopia, Jungle book, Star Wars, Avengers etc.

Your not taking a 9 year old to see a Tom Cruise spy movie or Jack Reacher

Last edited:
I never said any of his movies had to make a billion dollars. It just needs to be successful. Jack Reacher had a 50 mil budget, that's great. Probably why it's getting a sequel. But oblivion and edge of tomorrow had 120 and a 170 bill budget respectively. 286 and 320 is poor for those kinda budgets.

And they aren't making sequels of those, are they? Again you got the CBM blueprint in mind but you can't look at all movies like that. And EoT made $370, not $320.

He hasn't shown he can make numbers in recent years unless it's a been established franchise

I would be cool with his MI numbers except for the fact that it's trending down..

But it is his own franchise and it's not trending down, dropping by $12m from one to the other isn't trending down. :lol:

Rogue Nation $682
Ghost Protocol $694
IM3 $397
IM2 $546
IM1$457

RFX you're making my point for me. Edge of tomorrow was reviewed very well and it made just 100 domestic. 100 domestic.

It's all about international/worldwide numbers these days, domestic numbers have been trending down for the past decade outside of huge $1b+ blockbusters.

27% of the box office being domestic actually isn't bad these days.

You also have to consider that dude was still recovering from the couch jumping scientology craziness he's been through, you'd think he'd be on Mel Gibsons level right now.

Last edited:
Oh yea for sure domestic numbers been trending down in general. But still, a well reviewed movie like edge of tomorrow and it made like 28 mil it's first weekend.

Surprise comedies with super low budget if reviewed well can get more money than that the first weekend.. Neighbors 1 almost got 50 mil

Last edited:
I get the comparison being made but I think Mel has fell back from acting and is more a director now.

Plus his domestic violence racist and antisemitic recorded tirade overshadows couch jumping so much :lol:

Mel nerfing his acting career like that is exceptional all on its own. I'm not sure anybody else could match that. Like Tom could've done the bad movies Will and Depp did and still not fall that far. He'd be in that area Nic Cage created.

Last edited:
I agree, Gibsons is much worse but those Scientology craziness was just wow and I really thought he won't be able to recover. Might have helped that his church has managed to cover most of it up.

Has Mel directed anything after Apocalypto? That was a good 10 years ago.

RFX you're making my point for me. Edge of tomorrow was reviewed very well and it made just 100 domestic. 100 domestic. I feel like a well reviewed movie like that should've made at least 50 mil the first weekend. Not comic book numbers at all but much better than the 28 mil or whatever it got that first weekend. :lol:

Man, good movies doesn't always sell and bad movies do not always flop. Transformers? TMNT?

You also got to look at the competition during the time it came out, EoT came out on 6/4 of 2014, a week later 22 Jump Street and How to Train your Dragon 2. Three weeks later, Transformers 4. Bad placement to be considering the week before EoTs release was Malificent and a week before that was DoFP. Godzilla before that and Neighbors before that.

It's not exactly a CBM film but it could also be a scifi fatigue, if people just want to limit their scifi intake for the year, they could easily skip EoT and just go for CBMs.

But in the end you were kind of acting like dude has TheRock like movie line-up :lol:

He has the Mummy, MI6, Jack Reacher (which is smaller budget), Top Gun (sequel and likely isn't a huge budget film) and a couple more Doug Liman films (which looks like small budgets too).

Last edited:
Felt like edge of tomorrow suffered from poor marketing as well. Had no desires to see it in theaters till word of mouth spread.

What's your over/under on Tom's Mummy movie? :nerd:

*edit

Edge of Tomorrow is getting a sequel? :wow: wow I'm late

Last edited:
I want to see a trailer and how they approach it, I am not even sure if he is the Mummy or not, or whether it'll be similar to the Brendan Fraser version (which I doubt) or go darker. Marketings going to play a big role too but I assume Universals going to throw everything they have at it.

Wouldn't be surprised either if Tom has a Van Helsing type role and end up crossing over to the other films hunting or going against other monesters.

Either way I think Universal is banking on it making a decent amount.

If I were to guess right now, maybe $500m-$600m?

Back
Top Bottom