Next Gen Xbox Reveal Confirmed for May 21

Sony gave tech stats. Showing the box is just for cosmetic purposes. Its a bonus for sure, and I enjoy seeing what they look like, but really why does it matter?

Its like finding out a new game is coming out but because they didnt show the boxart, it somehow detracts from the game itself?
but thats the current mindstate of current gen....its the reason iphone can make minimal changes and sells like hotcakes...Its why hell to be honest, nike especially retros sell...certain cars...electronics so on and so forth. From a bias standpoint ps4 reveal was actually informative and provided insight...and valuable information and gave you somewhat of an idea what to expect from there next generation system.

Xbox basically did smoking mirrors..was evasive, hemmed and hawed, and basically did/spoke about everything except the actual system. This is apparent by how ppl are asking all these questions such as do you gotta be online, how does used games work, what are the specs, what is the memory, so on and so forth.

As i look online, read here etc... the majority of the talk in reference to xbox one is, basic questions about the system. It be like going car shopping and all you know is what the car looks like, what kinda entertainment/stereo system it has, and does it has heated seats etc... And then saying oh since it has navigation, leather heated massage seats, a sunroof, and a beats by dre stereo system, i know that this is a good car...lol. The hell with mpg, maintanance, engine, fuel efficiency, warranty, material of product etc..

Oh i forgot a good amount of ppl actually do make decisions/shop this way.

"Smoking mirrors" :rofl: Irv Gotti in the club.

Seriously I dont think we are disagreeing, you're just stating that some people want to see the cosmetic form-factor while deciding on a purchase, which is true.

However, this cant be compared to a car, or a cell phone, or Jordans, or Levi's in terms of how important the cosmetic factor is. All the things I just listed are purchased with the understanding that each of those items will be viewed by other people who may evaluate or judge your likes and preferences. How you want to be perceived is important to a great many people, thus the look and style of those items tends to be more important.

A PS4 is going to be sitting on a shelf in your home, not paraded out in public, so I think that it means alot less to the majority of consumers. I do agree that some people will care and may even base their purchase on how it may look. However, its what it can do that was more important to more people and thus, renders the look of the machine less important for an event.

Microsoft Explains Xbox One Controller’s New Buttons

Microsoft has explained the names and functionality of those mysterious new buttons on Xbox One’s controller where Start and Back appeared on Xbox 360. According to a Microsoft representative, these buttons are named “Menu” and View.”

“The Menu button (on the right) will bring up context-specific menus which game and app developers can design to enhance the user experience,” Microsoft told IGN. “The Menu button could be used in scenarios such as bringing up in-game menus, showing video playback options, and accessing commands on the console’s user interface.”

The View button, meanwhile, “will change views or provide more information in games and apps. The function of the View button will be driven by developers. Possible uses of the View button include viewing a map during a role playing game, displaying a leaderboard in a first person shooter, and enhancing the navigation of the console’s user interface.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/microsoft-explains-xbox-one-controllers-new-buttons

I hope people don't buy the new xbox.

We gotta talk with our money instead of letting ******** like this go on.

Xbox has always been my favorite. Ever since xbox dropped i switched from ps2 and never copped a ps3. That said I might go back.

downloading every game sounds awful. when i get a game i want to play it. not wait for it to download

giant waste of time.

everyone is just trying to slurp up money.

thankfully the new game by bungie will also be released on ps4.

Wii didn't win any console generations lets be serious.

Wii sold big because they got a hold of the largest demographics.

They got youngings, nostalgic loyal nintendo fans, and adults all into gaming between wii sports, mario, and their classic titles that attract the youth. Everyone I know aged 18-30 trashed their way.

I won a Wii for free and use to be heavy into playing smash competitively. thought I was going to get into brawl but I didn't like it, sold the wii instead of keeping it.

^I was a playstation loyalist until how they colossally ****** up with ps3 until recently. But I just go where the games I like go (it just tended to be on Playstation and Game boy until this generation).

I see the PS4 as the spiritual successor to the PS2. Hell Xbox 360 had more JRPGs (which sucked this generation) than PS3 did for over 2 years.

"Smoking mirrors"
roll.gif
Irv Gotti in the club.

Seriously I dont think we are disagreeing, you're just stating that some people want to see the cosmetic form-factor while deciding on a purchase, which is true.

However, this cant be compared to a car, or a cell phone, or Jordans, or Levi's in terms of how important the cosmetic factor is. All the things I just listed are purchased with the understanding that each of those items will be viewed by other people who may evaluate or judge your likes and preferences. How you want to be perceived is important to a great many people, thus the look and style of those items tends to be more important.

A PS4 is going to be sitting on a shelf in your home, not paraded out in public, so I think that it means alot less to the majority of consumers. I do agree that some people will care and may even base their purchase on how it may look. However, its what it can do that was more important to more people and thus, renders the look of the machine less important for an event.
why it cant be end of the day the purchase/decision/opinion isnt based on the sole intent of the product...ala buying a car based on features/looks...buying a phone offa name/looks/hype train...buying shoes based on current trends/hype/looks/...

End of the day thats all xbox addressed the cosmetics/features etc...of the system. They didnt discuss any graphical/technical improvements. they didnt mention key components/details about the system. In an 1hr and 30 minute reveal they spent 30 minutes on the cosmetics of a controller... about 40-45 minutes on the look of the system and new features that have absolutely nothing to do with video gaming...and the last 15 minutes building up about games...only to show a pc build dev version of one game.

And as far as looks...ppl dont really care, and xbox new this...but what it is, its the not knowing...the i know something you dont know..the curiosity of it all. They being ms new this, so for whatever reasons,whether it be inferior technology/graphics etc... decided to mask what ever short commings they may have...and any issues/deterrents they may face by focusing on the looks, and the features that have absolutely nothing to do with gaming or the system it self in terms of what its intended use is, which is to play games.

And just like sheep ppl ate it up. I mean we all seen this before, and plenty of companies use this practice. Some say ppl who do so are fanboys, maybe ignorant, maybe a little of both who knows. But its clear this whole reveal of a video game system...basically talked and address everything under the sun except for VIDEO GAMING. And after ppl came down from the high of the whole WOW i got to see it...some what ration and senses return to ppls mind...thus why they plethera of questions about video gaming.

Its funny that ppl say ps4 reveal was a waste of time and pointless...not because they didnt address video gaming, system specs, tech advances, whats new and what they are changing about video gaming. And not because they didnt show games in real time..but because they didnt get to see package in which in comes in.

So how is it not like a car other examples i gave. If i was in the market for a workload truck...and i needed a certain tow load/horse power....run off diesel etc... and i asked this to a salesman...and he said...oh well its got a usb port for music...it comes in 10 colors, rear camera, driver seat has a massager...and a new innovating body design. What does that have to do with what i intend to purchase the vehicle for...and what does that have to do with what i wnated to know about the vehicle.

As far as peripherals go, I hope companies like Astro and Turtle Beach can make some sort of adapter for the headsets.

Especially for Astro, since their headsets are pretty expensive.

At this point we're talking about perception. It's safe to assume casuals have no idea about this new consoles. Perception tends to become reality and for now the overwhelming consensus is that the XBox One is the least consumer friendly of the big three. Just because people buy a product off of hype doesn't garauntee long term success. At some point that product has to produce, otherwise it will be abandoned.

Speaking about looks... As superficial as it is, the looks of the console do play a part in the overall perception of that system. If something is big and bulky it's not cool. It's that simple. And lets forget about the Japanese market. Microsoft shut down any chances of success in that market because of the size of their machine.

At the core of me, I want the new XBox to succeed because more choices are a good thing... BUT the anti consumer agenda Microsoft has adopted has turned me off.

Wii didn't win any console generations lets be serious.

Wii sold big because they got a hold of the largest demographics.

They got youngings, nostalgic loyal nintendo fans, and adults all into gaming between wii sports, mario, and their classic titles that attract the youth. Everyone I know aged 18-30 trashed their way.

I won a Wii for free and use to be heavy into playing smash competitively. thought I was going to get into brawl but I didn't like it, sold the wii instead of keeping it.

This post ties into what I was saying about perception. I've heard in numerous places that the Wii didn't win the previous console generation.

I write this with all due respect as I don't want to start any arguments and don't care who won the last generation. For the sake of discussion the facts show the Wii had some the highest rated games, sold the most consoles, and had the highest selling games of all time. Yet there are individuals who will say the XBox 360 or the PS3 won this past generation. Why is that??

At their core they all do the same thing... they play video games. But in the eyes of some people Nintendo and the Wii brand are not relevant as video game devices. The general consensus is that the Wii was not a direct competitor of the High Definition consoles(PS3/Xbox360).

If Microsoft wants to be successful, they have to be able to differentiate themselves from what they have been in the past. So far they've done that with lackluster results. With the mainstream entertainment focus, I very well see Microsoft operating in that same space Nintendo was in last generation... the only difference is whether they can deliver on that experience.

Last edited:
This man knows. They're forcing peoples hands this time around. Everyones console is going to be flashed and games will be $5 for everybody

You really think they gone let that ride. They gonna be sweeping once a month not just with new releases anymore. I had to buy a whole new system cuz of that mod ****.

I don't think they are anti consumer. Just anti entitled gamers

Now we're just arguing semantics. Being a consumer implies that one is entitled to the benefits any given product provides. In a competitive market the business with the most entitlements that offer value to consumers will garner the most business.

The point is Microsoft is supporting business practices that take away "entitlements" gamers have had since before Microsoft entered the market.

View media item 426083

This man knows. They're forcing peoples hands this time around. Everyones console is going to be flashed and games will be $5 for everybody

You really think they gone let that ride. They gonna be sweeping once a month not just with new releases anymore. I had to buy a whole new system cuz of that mod ****.

You doin it wrong b.

I think the stupidest part of this whole thing is the ability to Skype while watching a movie. Whoever thought of that needs to find the tallest building and leap

You doin it wrong b.

I think the stupidest part of this whole thing is the ability to Skype while watching a movie. Whoever thought of that needs to find the tallest building and leap
how so it isnt like ppl dont do this, facebook, instagram, twitter etc.... while watching tv or at the movies etc...now. Only difference is saving kids neck cramps from constantly looking down at a phone/tablet screen.

At this point we're talking about perception. It's safe to assume casuals have no idea about this new consoles. Perception tends to become reality and for now the overwhelming consensus is that the XBox One is the least consumer friendly of the big three. Just because people buy a product off of hype doesn't garauntee long term success. At some point that product has to produce, otherwise it will be abandoned.

Speaking about looks... As superficial as it is, the looks of the console do play a part in the overall perception of that system. If something is big and bulky it's not cool. It's that simple. And lets forget about the Japanese market. Microsoft shut down any chances of success in that market because of the size of their machine.

At the core of me, I want the new XBox to succeed because more choices are a good thing... BUT the anti consumer agenda Microsoft has adopted has turned me off.
id agree if the xbox didnt sell well...lets face it that joint was big bulky and ugly...same with the og ps2... and im not even going to go there with these damn near tablet sized smartphones.

You doin it wrong b.

how so it isnt like ppl dont do this, facebook, instagram, twitter etc.... while watching tv or at the movies etc...now. Only difference is saving kids neck cramps from constantly looking down at a phone/tablet screen.

That's because people are stupid

The Wii won this generation, easily.

"Hardcore" gamers feel since the system didn't appeal to them that it doesn't count, nah B, it don't work like that.

I don't think they are anti consumer. Just anti entitled gamers

Now we're just arguing semantics. Being a consumer implies that one is entitled to the benefits any given product provides. In a competitive market the business with the most entitlements that offer value to consumers will garner the most business.

The point is Microsoft is supporting business practices that take away "entitlements" gamers have had since before Microsoft entered the market.

View media item 426083

nobody is saying that you cant play games, but from a business standpoint, gamestop is taking money out of microsofts pockets. More than they are putting in. You can replace gamestop with walmart, target, best buy etc and still sell games. If anything, this is more a slight against gamestop than it is against gamers. it just happens that they will be affected also.

and I dont know why people think sony wont adopt a similar thing. The only reason we dont know about it is Sony didnt really open its people up to questions after their presentation. microsoft did

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom