NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't "blanket statments." It was a half-assed effort to talk about the point that YOU brought up that holds little weight in the underlying issue.

All I will say now is that just because the quarterback is the main position of leadership doesn't make the quarterback automatically an effective leader....I'll leave you with these:

Bears fear a potential Cutler mutiny
Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT

APAs if the Bears don’t suddenly have enough problems, they now have to fret about when and if the players will rise up against their petulant, James Dean-wannabe quarterback, Jay Cutler.

Last night’s sideline incident with left tackle J’Marcus Webb, which featured Cutler swearing at and bumping the much bigger Webb, has created concerns within the organization that the players could eventually turn on Cutler, for good. That’s what a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells PFT.

It’s not the first time a quarterback has had relationship issues in the locker room. We’ve heard for years that Ben Roethlisberger had been (and still may be) persona non grata in Pittsburgh. But the Bears are getting closer to the breaking point with Cutler, and the worry in the organization is that if it keeps up, something could go down.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/bears-fear-a-potential-cutler-mutiny/

Former NFL quarterback Terry Bradshaw Friday questioned Jay Cutler's leadership during Thursday night's Packers game.

“I like him, I think he’s a great talent," Bradshaw said on WSCR-AM 670's "McNeil and Spiegel Show." "I do not like, I’m telling you I’ll go right on the record – I do not like calling out my linemen and bumping them and screaming and hollering because you’ve got all these cameras watching.

"Tell everyone, say I stunk, I stunk the joint up and it wasn’t my night. You know, apologize to the Bears fans and that quells it a little bit but don’t have to apologize during the week for the media who is going to be all over this when you could have snipped it, you could have cut it right there and now it’s going to just snowball and you don’t need that as a player and you sure don’t need that as a team.

“This is a guy I’ve never met and I’ve heard so many things negatively about Jay. His body language for a person that’s never met him suggests he’s not a person I really want to meet, but that’s kind of a silly thing. I’d really like to sit down with him and I’d have a better understanding of what makes him tick. I think just by talking to him but … I just sometimes, I don’t understand.”

Bradshaw was quarterback for the Steelers from 1970-1983, winning four Super Bowls. He is now an analyst for "Fox NFL Sunday."

During the WSCR interview Friday, Bradshaw returned to the issue of Cutler criticizing his teammates.

“People were complaining about it last night; bumping the linemen, screaming and hollering; that to me is counter-productive, you don’t do that. I prided myself, I took great pride in never saying a word. I never complained to my linemen, I never ever called them out, I never said an unkind word about them, I never yelled. I yelled one time against the Dallas Cowboys when I couldn’t see the playclock and Webster called timeout and I jumped on him because I was killing the clock anyway and the game was over but that’s the only time but even that was funny. “

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-i-really-want-to-meet-20120914,0,53913.story

Bradshaw with almost my exact sentiments on the issue.

I'm not wrong on this bub.

Last edited:
APAs if the Bears don’t suddenly have enough problems, they now have to fret about when and if the players will rise up against their petulant, James Dean-wannabe quarterback, Jay Cutler.

Last night’s sideline incident with left tackle J’Marcus Webb, which featured Cutler swearing at and bumping the much bigger Webb, has created concerns within the organization that the players could eventually turn on Cutler, for good. That’s what a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells PFT.

It’s not the first time a quarterback has had relationship issues in the locker room. We’ve heard for years that Ben Roethlisberger had been (and still may be) persona non grata in Pittsburgh. But the Bears are getting closer to the breaking point with Cutler, and the worry in the organization is that if it keeps up, something could go down.

You may not be wrong, but this doesn't prove you're right bruh. And quoting Terry Bradshaw does nothing for your argument.

You know who else used to chew his players out with the same type of fiery attitude? Dan Marino. Let me guess...he didn't earn that right either because he's only a "big armed loser" too?

Last edited:
I don't know why you're picking a fight now. The evidence is mounting that I'm not far off. I read these things like a book. Mainly because I was Jay Cutler. That is...A Q who lost his temper and threw tantrums that did nothing to help the team. Until one game on the sidelines I looked around and was moping like you see Cutler doing and realized I was doing it all wrong and changed it up. Cutler has yet to do so and it's costing him.

I don't know why you're picking a fight now. The evidence is mounting that I'm not far off. I read these things like a book. Mainly because I was Jay Cutler. That is...A Q who lost his temper and threw tantrums that did nothing to help the team. Until one game on the sidelines I looked around and was moping like you see Cutler doing and realized I was doing it all wrong and changed it up. Cutler has yet to do so and it's costing him.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

I prefer a friendly discussion. And your honesty is appreciated. But is it fair to say that everyone leads a little differently? I mean, people said the same thing that Jay didn't show enough emotion when he was injured. That he sat on the sideline feeling sorry for himself. That he should have went back in the game. So this feels like an extension of that. Obviously Jay didn't play well and I believe his frustrations were bigger than the LT. It was his way of subconsciously asking for more help. The Bears have had a trash o-line from Day 1. Last night appeared to be the boiling point.

I prefer a friendly discussion. And your honesty is appreciated. But is it fair to say that everyone leads a little differently? I mean, people said the same thing that Jay didn't show enough emotion when he was injured. That he sat on the sideline feeling sorry for himself. That he should have went back in the game. So this feels like an extension of that. Obviously Jay didn't play well and I believe his frustrations were bigger than the LT. It was his way of subconsciously asking for more help. The Bears have had a trash o-line from Day 1. Last night appeared to be the boiling point.

Ok. You got me because I do agree with all of this. For sure. He's straddling a thin line though, and something needs to change or else he's Jeff George 2.0.

Thomas Howard out for the year with a torn ACL. :smh:

Bright side is that Vontaze Burfict is starting Sunday. :pimp:
Rooting for Burfict even though every single character flag was warranted during the Combine and Draft process. He's the type of player you unleash without necessarily understanding or controlling the outcome/consequences.

Jay Culter= This generations Jeff George. All the talent in the world but his attitude brings him down.
my thing is...how do we know he has a poor attitude??? how do we know he pouts and mopes around???

none of us are close enough to the situation to say he has a piss poor attitude...its just perception...

same way people were blaming cowboys playoff losses on tony romo going on vacation on a bye week(most athletes do) or saying he doesnt care ebout the game because he wears his starter cap backwards....doesnt make sense...

i see cutler, i see a dude who isnt a leader naturally, but is in a leadership role by the nature of his profession...i see a quiet, reserved guy that after he retires will probably never speak another word to the public....dude is just quiet by nature, doesnt mean he doesnt care....dude cant win for losing, when he's quiet on the sidelines, he doesnt care...when he's yelling at a dude getting abused he has an attitude problem...

i never seen my dude d.rose facial expression change not once...ever...not when chalmers drained the shot in the chip to send memphis home...not when he crossed 3 dudes then dunked on the other 2...not when he got his mvp...and not once, has anyone ever accused him of not caring...same type of dude as cutler..quiet, laid back, solitary dude...

cutler wouldnt be where he is today without caring...alot of dudes got a cannon for an arm...even fewer get d1 scholarships...almost none start at quarterback in the nfl...takes just as much hard work and dedication as it does god given talent....

people are upset that Jay looks like he doesnt care, he gets in the lines face because hes getting his *** beat all night like he stole something and everyone has a problem with that? Man **** that.
Your the one of the leaders of that team, get in their ******g face when they dont play at a professional level.
No reason Clay should have 4 sacks, are you ******g kidding me.

I agree. I understand the whole handling it in a better way, but he was getting destroyed all night and it was 80% on the O-Line because they didn't even try to help him.

I'd be livid as well.

He needs to do a better job getting rid of the ball, but the O-Line needs to give him time. He was being swarmed, running for his life, not fun.

I agree. I understand the whole handling it in a better way, but he was getting destroyed all night and it was 80% on the O-Line because they didn't even try to help him.
I'd be livid as well.
He needs to do a better job getting rid of the ball, but the O-Line needs to give him time. He was being swarmed, running for his life, not fun.

Eh that happens to Ben every game and he still takes is linemen out to dinners. Throwing a hissy fit won't result in any positive benefit

One thing if the have the talent and play poor, but that line just isn't good. Blame coaching and management

Last edited:
Please that happens to Ben every game and he still takes is linemen out to dinners. Throwing a hissy fit won't result in any positive benefit
That is a very accurate counter-point against Cutler. Big Ben takes the same pressure, hurries, and hits in the pocket. Tough as nails. Plays through almost any injury. Extends plays by refusing to go down and moving outside the pocket. Doesn't publicly complain about his offensive line as far as I know.

You're a nice guy (no sarcasm, and made good points. I repped you just to let you know) letting him off the hook like that.
When great players do it its called leading the team and its because they've earned it, when anyone else does it they're just being a d-bag. :smile:{)

Way of the world.

Best thing for Jay to do is win a SB then when his teammates mess up he can give them a leadership backhand.

Edit- VA757 You get a rep too. Nailed it, it's all perception. So glad there are at least
some people don't buy into that pointless psychoanalysis.

Last edited:
Eli Manning has the same Uncaring "looks and body language" as Cutler but he's considered "a Cool even keel guy" because he has the superbowl wins...

Winning changes a lot of perceptions and Realities

Last edited:
Eli Manning has the same Uncaring "looks and body language" as Cutler but he's considered "a Cool even keel guy" because he has the superbowl wins...

Gunna I think the fact that over the last 8 years or however long its been, Eli has been taking SHOTS and he gets up every. single. time.

He might look like a dope but hes never missed a game has he?

Perception is everything isn't it? Cutty had a stellar rep of being a good teammate when he was at Vandy even when he got sacked 30+ times back in '04. In fact he was regarded as a trooper willing to get back up & lead the charge. I have a feeling Shannahan & his sneaky *** started all those rumors about him in Denver.

I don't think his conduct is that big a deal but I will take stock in people like Bradshaw saying he's heard some things about him & the fact the Bears have concerns about the team turning on him (even though it could be a writer creating a rumor).

I guess maybe if he gets upset, he needs to do it behind closed doors. Jordan was extremely demonstrative in a negative manner & even get into shoving matches albeit behind closed doors. He singled handedly ruined Rodney McCray's career/confidence. Bill Cartwright even threatened to break both of Jordan's legs if he continued to talk to Bill the way he was doing.

I don't get the criticism of Eli. Personality & demeanor wise, he's just like both of brothers Peyton & Cooper. Shoot Eli is a clone of his father. Did most of this criticism start in '10 when he threw for those 25 ints (the same year Brees threw 22 INTs).

True, and I've talked about that so many times before, but with Eli you don't get the other end of the spectrum in the tantrums. Cutler is just bi-polar probably.

True, and I've talked about that so many times before, but with Eli you don't get the other end of the spectrum in the tantrums. Cutler is just bi-polar probably.

What's with the eagles avy? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom