NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah nice...a pass rusher debate. beats the standard WR debate in the WIR threads :lol:

give me von miller

ill take von miller over aldon. aldon benefits from the best d in the nfl. von has nearly the same amount of sacks with a d that is not 1st in nfl. watt is a beast.

i dont think you can compare jj watt and aldon smith/ von miller. they're just different players, asked to do different things. i'd take any of them every day of the week though

Von Miller = Aldon Smith > JJ Watt

Um NO.

Miller and Smith are beasts and are the best at their position (debatable with Ware, Matthews, and maybe Wake) but the OLB position is a position that should accumulate stats.

Not taking anything away from them two, but Watt is playing a position that's not supposed to get numbers, just contain (3-4 DE), and he's putting up MAJOR numbers, not just sacks. PD, QB hits, Tackles, Tackles for loss, etc.

Again not taking anything away from the other 2, but Watt is also more consistent. There's no other 3-4DE at his level right now.

Smith / Von are comparable because they are both OLB.

But as a OLB you should be able to get sacks, that's what your position is meant to do as a focal point.

But Watt is disruptive as **** :lol:

Dude stuffs the run, sacks, deflects passes and knocks out QBs. All while being double and triple teamed.

Smith isn't even the best LB on his team and Von plays across from another pass rusher.

Watt is the best player on our defense and makes it go.

That's all I'm going to say about that because as a DEN / SF / HOU fans we won't agree :lol:

But all 3 :pimp: :pimp:

Reactions: sb
Smith / Von are comparable because they are both OLB.
But as a OLB you should be able to get sacks, that's what your position is meant to do as a focal point.
But Watt is disruptive as **** :lol:
Dude stuffs the run, sacks, deflects passes and knocks out QBs. All while being double and triple teamed.
Smith isn't even the best LB on his team and Von plays across from another pass rusher.
Watt is the best player on our defense and makes it go.
That's all I'm going to say about that because as a DEN / SF / HOU fans we won't agree :lol:
But all 3 :pimp: :pimp:

Meh, OLB accumulate stats, 3-4 DL usually don't. There is no other 3-4 DL even close to Watt, plus he plays one position, with his hand in the dirt. Von and Aldon have more freedom to roam.

Not saying Von and Aldon are not good players, but position wise, what Watt is doing at his position hasn't been seen.

ill take von miller over aldon. aldon benefits from the best d in the nfl. von has nearly the same amount of sacks with a d that is not 1st in nfl. watt is a beast.

I agree with the Aldon point

But Von plays with Peyton.

In most cases your gonna have to score to keep up, and that means chucking the ball, when the defense knows your passing its a wrap.

Chris Long is the most underrated DE in the NFL

Robert Quinn has the potential to be mentioned with those guys

Last edited:
Cameron Wakes name never seems to be mentioned in the elite pass rushers. Guy is a 1 man pass rush, definitely underated.

Last edited:
I agree with Sole. Smith and Miller are both very good players, but the league sees pass rushers like these every 5 years.

There hasn't been a player like Watt on defense at that position since Bruce Smith and Reggie White. Watt is a very special player and he's gonna be dominating for years. The way hes able to impact games and change the outcome of them single handedly is special to watch. I could honestly say he has won games for us with certain plays that he's made. Some that come up are the Jets and Lions games.

That being said if I had to choice out of those three to build my defense around 10 times out of 10 it would be Watt.

while we're talking pass rushers...demarcus ware. curious as to what people think about this guy. elite? overrated? slightly overrated?

I'll take a dominate and disruptive DL over any other player on D IMO. I remember when the Steelers used to have a few of those...ahh memories

So is nhamdi done?

Or a move to safety might help? I know dude lost a step

:nerd:

I'll take a dominate and disruptive DL over any other player on D IMO. I remember when the Steelers used to have a few of those...ahh memories

you could even take that a step further and say outside of QB, you would take a dominate and disruptive DL over any other player, offense and defense. prior to us giving gronk that big contract, DL and QB were the only two positions belichick would willingly pay a premium to. seymour, wilfork, and brady. everyone else was take it or leave it. mankins had to go through an ugly holdout to get paid. wes welker is not going to get paid by us. asante samuel...see ya later.

Welker come to Houston Papi :pimp:

A dominate DE / DL can make an entire defense better.

Look at the giants.

When their Dline plays like ****, that defense gets worked.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/06/28/data-points-ware-leads-nfl-in-sacks-since-2005/

dware leads the lead in sacks since he came in (2005) jarred allen 10 behind...the next closest person is more than twenty behind...

dware is MAAAD underrated playing the run...dude does it all...

only dude EVER to have 20 sacks in 2 diff seasons....

4 time all pro...

hes still the best... and it aint even close yall!
The casual fan only gonna look at OLB/DE guys in terms of their pass rush... Hes great against the run but no ones going to notice.

I'd argue that hes not even "rated" in the public eye concerning his run defense... Wouldn't think its even possible to be underrated at it. You'd have to say the position is underrated in terms of its importance to the run defense.

So is nhamdi done?

Or a move to safety might help? I know dude lost a step

:nerd:

I think the Eagles will dump him rather than pay the $40+ million owed on the balance of his contract. I don't think he's lost a step. The defensive scheme he was asked to play in has been horribly coached. The Eagle linebackers & safeties have looked lost for 2 years IMO...That second TD the Panthers scored in the MNF game kinda highlighted how bad their D is. They used the corners to Blitz, & no one covered the receiver who was all alone behind the defense. No one picked him up or was remotely close to him.

Vick is gone too.

I'm looking forward to seeing RGIII & the Skins play the Giants.

My poor Steelers...Still have a shot at the wild card though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom