NFL Discussion Thread: Pats win SB XLIX. Offseason begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
CLE had plenty of chances last year. They should have been in the playoffs. If they had an average QB, they would have been in. I seen Hoyer literally kill the Browns multiple times. I'm surprised CLE hasn't traded for Robert Griffin or Matt Barkley or even Cousins. They're desperate.

I don't think the verdict is out on Bradford. When he was healthy, he had zero talent around. When he finally got some, he couldn't stay healthy

I'm taking Bradford over EJ, Geno, Hoyer, Manziel and a few others.

Problem is they are still last in the AFCN, so that makes it impossible to be in the playoffs until something changes within the division

But that whole division was pretty balanced last year. None of those teams were dominant and all had plenty of holes. Cleveland had their chances and I think they would have made it with a good enough QB. Hoyer was so damn bad at times that he looked as if he wanted CLE to lose.

CLE had plenty of chances last year. They should have been in the playoffs. If they had an average QB, they would have been in. I seen Hoyer literally kill the Browns multiple times. I'm surprised CLE hasn't traded for Robert Griffin or Matt Barkley or even Cousins. They're desperate.

I don't think the verdict is out on Bradford. When he was healthy, he had zero talent around. When he finally got some, he couldn't stay healthy

I'm taking Bradford over EJ, Geno, Hoyer, Manziel and a few others.

Problem is they are still last in the AFCN, so that makes it impossible to be in the playoffs until something changes within the division

Weren't the Browns tied for 1st at one point last season when they were 7-4? A decent QB maybe gets them a few more wins and into the playoffs.

Saw this earlier and I figure nothing would bring the thread together like some good ol' Roger Goodell hate. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/17/8226315/roger-goodell-backed-out-of-between-two-ferns
[h2]The NFL thinks Roger Goodell's position is more dignified than the presidency[/h2]
Note: While Roger Goodell and the NFL entered into discussions with Funny or Die producers to explore the options of doing some type of video with the site, the two sides had never agreed on 'Between Two Ferns' as the concept. Per Funny or Die's PR agency, Richanbach was using 'Between Two Ferns' as an example of how President Obama handled things differently from Roger Goodell. The article has been updated to reflect that.

Alex Richanbach, executive producer of Funny or Die Sports was on a SXSW panel last Saturday called "Now Athletes are Funny: Power of Comedy and Sports."  I hadn't noticed it on the schedule until it was about halfway over, but I stopped in just as Richanbach was getting into the meat of a pretty great Roger Goodell story.

After President Obama's appearance  on the Funny or Die mainstay Between Two Ferns  in March 2014, the NFL and FOD producers began a discussion about having NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell do some kind of a video for the site. The league was obviously interested in a bit of goodwill coming their way for a change, and Funny or Die would have relished the opportunity/challenge that would go along with presenting Goodell in a comical light.

This struck me as a pretty great idea, especially if they had decided to use theBetween Two Ferns concept. The formula relies on the guest to act like a robotic, platitude-spitting punching bag, and I would defy you to find anyone in the world who's more qualified than Goodell on that front.

As Richanbach told it -- I'm paraphrasing here -- the NFL had some talking points that they wanted to cover during the taping, and they sent those over to FOD. This isn't uncommon. Most people who would appear in a Funny Or Die video do so to promote a new TV show or movie, or in the case of Obama, a national health care marketplace. The NFL sent their notes over to FOD producers who responded by saying they'd be happy to address the talking points, but they wanted to make it clear that the comedy website would be making some jokes at the commissioner's expense, obviously.

So, the league responded by telling Funny or Die that they would not allow Roger Goodell to subject himself to ridicule from a comedian of all people. As someone who covers the NFL, I can tell you they regard professional football as a very serious business made of men with iron wills and stone faces and that starts from the top down. I wasn't completely surprised to hear that the NFL didn't understand how jokes work, but the next part was over-the-top, even by NFL standards.

In an attempt to salvage the relationship, Funny Or Die countered by reminding them that even the leader of the free world was willing to take a joke, saying "but Obama did it, and he's President of the United States."

Richanbach said that the league shot back, "well, he's not the commissioner of the NFL."
Amazing. 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Weren't the Browns tied for 1st at one point last season when they were 7-4? A decent QB maybe gets them a few more wins and into the playoffs.

Yeah but they hit the harder part of their schedule and fell apart. 2-4 in the division. They aren't God awful by any means and the prior few seasons have had some solid talent, especially on D. But being in the AFCN is no favor to them since Balt, Pitt and Cincy are pretty consistent teams (can't believe Cincy got to that point) :smh:

You can take a flyer on Bradford who has a potential high ceiling that hasn't been fulfilled thus far or you can stick with the Ryan Fitzparticks of the world and brace for a top 10 pick

that is how GMs look at it

Last edited:
If Bradly Fletcher is starting for the Patriots in 2015 RIP ..dude is the worst defensive back in the league no lol or nothing

Belicheck is Jesus if he gets any production out of him

You can take a flyer on Bradford who has a potential high ceiling that hasn't been fulfilled thus far or you can stick with the Ryan Fitzparticks of the world and brace for a top 10 pick

But how many top ten picks have the Rams had with Bradford on the roster?

Hope the guy does well but it's like playing Russian roulette. Could come out and surprise us all, or he could get hit and explode like a pinata again.

Quarterbacks like Fitzpatrick, Shaun Hill, etc. love QBs like Sam Bradford and RG3. They almost always guarantee a spot in the league and a high chance to start some Sundays.

Yeah but they hit the harder part of their schedule and fell apart. 2-4 in the division. They aren't God awful by any means and the prior few seasons have had some solid talent, especially on D. But being in the AFCN is no favor to them since Balt, Pitt and Cincy are pretty consistent teams (can't believe Cincy got to that point) :smh:

Agreed. They aren't that far off but you're right your division is stacked. Cincy :smh: who would've thought :lol:

What the hell was going on in here earlier? Glad I missed it :lol:

@spotrac: Top FA Spenders:
#Jaguars: $172M
#Jets: $170M
#Dolphins: $134M
#Titans: $103M
#Packers: $0

Hmm there seems to be a theme to this...

I understand that's how GMs see it but Bradford doesn't have a high ceiling at all, he's been in the league for many years and has been mediocre when healthy.  

But how many top ten picks have the Rams had with Bradford on the roster?

Hope the guy does well but it's like playing Russian roulette. Could come out and surprise us all, or he could get hit and explode like a pinata again.

I agree, I am just saying that is how NFL GMs are looking at him

I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him but I would surely trade him for one

What the hell was going on in here earlier? Glad I missed it
laugh.gif

Well, you could argue that it's bad teams that need to spend to get better....

I agree that FA is a bad use of money though in many cases.

My guy @100027 really hates Bradford.
He's got some weird hate in his heart towards the Rams in general.
laugh.gif
You know, I just really don't like mediocrity.  And the Rams epitomize mediocrity.

And if there's anything I hate more than mediocrity, it's mediocre QBs who get chance after chance to disappoint fans around the league.

I also don't like blue chip picks that live on pre-draft hype for year after year and both the Rams and Bradford both epitomize that.

Last edited:
What the hell was going on in here earlier? Glad I missed it :lol:

Well, you could argue that it's bad teams that need to spend to get better....

I agree that FA is a bad use of money though in many cases.

Yeah most of the time but that's not always the case,the Bronco's were one of the highest spenders last year. All of it is why I try not to buy into the whole "winner" or "loser" of free agency talk this early,it's still March :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom